Suboxone Doctor Visit. Not What I Expected
    wilddriversb is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Doctor Visit. Not What I Expected

Having finally realized the negative effects an opiate addiction can have on one's life and finances, I decided to make an appointment with a qualified Suboxone doctor in my area. I read all the literature about what to expect from the website and decided I was ready to accept the fact I needed help. Using the physician finder, I got the phone number I needed. I called and was told no appts. were available until April. Which was not good news. But the receptionist assured me if there was an opening sooner, she would call me. Yesterday, after only a week, I got the call. My appt. was for 11:30 today. I arrived early and filled out my paper work, gave them my insurance, etc. After waiting 35 minutes for the doc to show up, he finally did. I was taken immediately into his office. There was some idle chit-chat and then he asked about my usage. I told him what I use and what I read about Suboxone. This is where I expected to be drug tested, interviewed, given a dose, evauluated, and all that. Nope. He told me how to take it, wrote me a script for 4mg QID (1/2 8mg tablet 4X per day)and sent me on my way. It took ten minutes in his office. I went in at 12:06 and was in my car to the pharmacy at 12:25. Does anyone else find this odd? He's not going to drug test me and my next appt. isn't for a month and a half. I guess he's right when he says "It's all up to you." I expected more. Comments? Thoughts?

Missfortune is offline New Member

This is how it was with me.
    In fact, ive never even heard of the drs. doing it the way you said.
    Next appointment is kinda weird though...why a month and a half?Why not monthly?Or do you have enough meds till then?

wilddriversb is offline New Member

Default Reply to Missfortune

Quote Originally Posted by Missfortune View Post
    This is how it was with me.
    In fact, ive never even heard of the drs. doing it the way you said.
    Next appointment is kinda weird though...why a month and a half?Why not monthly?Or do you have enough meds till then?
    He wrote it for sixty (60) with two (2) refills. I guess he's really busy. Like I said, at first my appointment wasn't until April but they found a sooner one for me. I have plenty to make it until the end of April. I read about the treatment process on the website, which is why I expected it that way. My friend wanted to try methadone treatment and it took the clinic like almost two weeks just to tell they were denying her treatment. She also had to do an initial drug screen (give the clinic a urine sample) whereas I did not have to provide my doctor with one. I felt bad for her that she expended time, effort, and money only to not be helped. I suggested Sub to her but she can't afford it. I have a job that provides me with health insurance. So the doc visit would have been like $150 (USD) and the Sub would've been $385 (USD). But, the insurance will probably cover the doctor visit and they covered all but $65 (USD) of the Subox. I hope it works because it's the most viable option when compared with methadone and cold turkey. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-04-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Unclear Wording

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilddriversb View Post
    Having finally realized the negative effects an opiate addiction can have on one's life and finances, I decided to make an appointment with a qualified Suboxone doctor in my area. I read all the literature about what to expect from the website and decided I was ready to accept the fact I needed help. Using the physician finder, I got the phone number I needed. I called and was told no appts. were available until April. Which was not good news. But the receptionist assured me if there was an opening sooner, she would call me. Yesterday, after only a week, I got the call. My appt. was for 11:30 today. I arrived early and filled out my paper work, gave them my insurance, etc. After waiting 35 minutes for the doc to show up, he finally did. I was taken immediately into his office. There was some idle chit-chat and then he asked about my usage. I told him what I use and what I read about Suboxone. This is where I expected to be drug tested, interviewed, given a dose, evauluated, and all that. Nope. He told me how to take it, wrote me a script for 4mg QID (1/2 8mg tablet 4X per day)and sent me on my way. It took ten minutes in his office. I went in at 12:06 and was in my car to the pharmacy at 12:25. Does anyone else find this odd? He's not going to drug test me and my next appt. isn't for a month and a half. I guess he's right when he says "It's all up to you." I expected more. Comments? Thoughts?
    Based on my experience, I would say to consider yourself lucky.Most Drs make you come back every week.Sometimes 2 times a week for the first few weeks..This allows the Dr to make more $. However, you probably don't need 16 mg a day.You also really don't need to dose 4 times a day.These Drs just don't know how to dose properly.At least you are saving money by avoiding all of those return visits." or if you were paying yourself it would save you money" Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Missfortune is offline New Member

Yeah you probably dont need that much at all.I started taking it the way the doctor told me and i was so incredibly sick for about a week and i called the Dr. and they took FOREVER to call me back so i posted on here and these guys really helped me get on a right dosage.When the doctor did call back he told me to INCREASE how much i was taking.(I didnt tell him i was taking a smaller amount,just to see what he would say.)I dont think some of these doctors know what the heck they are doing nowdays.It seems to be all about the money.

Ive been taking 3mg, twice everyday and that has been working wonders.Here recently though somedays ive been taking the whole 8 mg because of my darn teeth.(Found out i actually chipped a tooth on the top and that was causing the hurting.Im pretty sure it was caused by sub because i grind my teeth without realizing it.and also bite down hard when im trying to get the sub to dissolve.)Im trying not to but nothing else is helping.

I know what youre saying about the money.Im actually a self pay patient.Im nowhere near wealthy and its a struggle to make these visits.Sometimes me and my hubby will share the script since we are both over prescribed.lol.
    Im willing to pay the price to be happy again though and its alot cheaper than all the hydrocodones i was having to buy.

Good luck! I promise when you get the dose right, you will feel great!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by wilddriversb View Post

I strongly suggest you check out the following link and use the subs according to the suggestions. If you have any questions after reading feel free to post. This system has proven to work with about everyone who follows the suggestions to the letter. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Hi,

This sounds totally consistent with my experience too. I never got a drug test from my sub doctor. It's pretty cut and dried for most of these guys. They're not offering out-patient rehab; they're just focused on the suboxone therapy. They really do leave it up to you to follow instructions. It's really a good idea at this time to get to some NA meetings for some emotional support and some help learning how to live without drugs. The physical side is just part of it.

I also agree with others that 16 mgs is a high dose. The link Robert posted is really useful.

Take care, and please let us know how you're doing!

batss is offline Member

Take as little as possible. Trust me, If you're not careful with that stuff, you'll be much worse off. It's real easy to get addicted to sub, and as soon as you stop withdrawing from your DOC, then you need to taper off immidiatly. I cut heavy >>>>>> and cocain usage on only a a few MGs a day. Less than two pills a day, I've only been on it for 7 days, and I've already gotten through the worst of the >>>>>> WDs and I've cut my suboxene down to just 1mg a day.

Subutex has a long half life, meaning if you take too much, it's just going to add up more inside you. Your brain will eventually be overflown with opiates, and the withdrawals that come from cutting that are WAY worse, and last way longer.

Take the bare minimum you need ONLY when you need it is my best advice for this drug. If you really want to be clean, keep it as short as possible. Dealing with a few ********ty days in bed is allot better than weeks of having to prolong the inevitable.

But after all this ********. I think I learned that the only best cure is just sticking through the withdrawals. There is no other cure, and everything else is just either another addiction, or just putting the inevitable off till later. It will be what you need to get out of bed, to make it through your day, and to sleep. It will just another addiction but probably worse. Don't even be tempted to up your dosage. It has a ceiling effect, and it won't really get you high. Pretty much if you feel great, you're taking too much. Detoxing is never easy.

It's painful, but its much better, safer, and more efficient in the long run to just detox/taper off the sub, than getting on maintenance.

- Batsy's girlfriend <3

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

You can feel great on the subs and still be off in a few weeks. You don't have to suffer through bad w/d using suboxone and you won't get addicted using it the way we suggest here. Have you read any of the threads of people using subs successfully here? Not everyone needs to be off subs in one week. You do it how you like but everyone doesn't need to do this like you are telling people. God bless.

UtahRugbyGuy is offline New Member

I have a Q no one has seemed to comment on yet. I have been seeing a doctor for Suboxone for a year. I know, some people do it much faster. I am tapering down slowly, but I am still taking it. I do not have insurance and I have been paying $100 per visit, every month. I am also a self-employed graphic designer and own my own small design agency but I rely on my clients to pay me the final payment on completion of a project and sometimes I'm waiting weeks or months foe that final payment. I need to see my doctor immediately but after paying other bills, I don't have the $100 for the visit after being consistent for over a year. My question is, is it federally mandated that I have to see the doctor every single month? or can I tell my doctor to get bent and just require me to come in every two months? I think it is ridiculous I would have to go to them every single time. I'm not tight when it comes to money but when I don't have it, then I start asking these Qs bcz I need to get my prescription or risk falling off the wagon and calling one of my old contacts. Up until now, that hasn't even been a risk because the Suboxone has worked great for me. Isn't there some kind of Hippocratic Oath doctors take to help people in need, regardless of their ability to pay right there on the spot? I don't want to fall off track but I can't pay right now for the doctor visit and I want to know if I can tell my doctor he has to write me a prescription this month without a visit? ...and then start doing it every two months (or hell, every three months), instead of every single month? Does anyone have any ideas or a solution to this?

Hey Bulldog is offline New Member

I know this is an old post and I know laws regarding Suboxone (Buprenorphine) have become more restrictive over the past few years, but your doctor seems pretty shady. I've been on Suboxone for a few years and seen a few different doctors and every single one does an entire induction and evaluation when you first start. Every doctor I've been to typically makes you fill out 10 pages full of paperwork about your addiction history and meets with you and spends a while talking to you the first time getting your entire history and learning all about your addiction. Then they take a urine sample for the drug test and a blood test to make sure your liver is functioning properly because Suboxone can cause liver damage in rare cases. Normally the "induction" phase the patient gets a script for one film that day and they go down the street to the pharmacy, pick up the script, return to the clinic and take the film in front of the doctor. The doctor then evaluates them and makes sure they're OK. Then they get a script for another day or two worth of medication and return the next day or day after and the doctor speaks to the person and makes sure they feel OK and are not having severe side effects from the Suboxone. After this the patient gets a script for a few days at a time and starts going to the clinic 2-3 times a week and gets drug tested every time. Once a person is stable and has consistently passed drug tests for about 4-6 weeks and then depending on the doctor, the patient can be moved to only going to the clinic once a week. After another 8-12 weeks of passed drug tests and normal Suboxone levels and a patient being stable, a patient can be moved to every other week. A patient gets drug tested at every visit and if they can't urinate, they don't get their script and have to return the following day. A blood test also has to be taken about every 6-8 weeks to check liver function. They used to do monthly visits but stopped those because too many people would mess up and either sell their Suboxone, or get a month's script and not return or start using drugs again. A patient has to participate in therapy as well as NA or AA meetings and have records of all therapy sessions and meetings. Your doctor just sounds shady and if I met a doctor like that I would immediately find a new doctor. Your doctor should be reported and I'm assuming by now he's no longer in business. For anyone reading this, if you're on Suboxone and your doctor does what the original poster wrote, run the other way and find a good doctor that actually pays attention to their patients.

AndyL2931 is offline New Member

It's been long enough to know if things worked out welI I will say a prayer for you tonight in hopes that you're now clean and sober!