Suboxone for pain
    Narcissism is offline New Member

Default Suboxone for pain

I was previously on fentanyl at 75mcg every 48 hours- however I cannot deal with the side effects any more. I know that fentanyl is the most potent narcotic pain medication available. I find myself needing at least 8mg twice a day and on worse days three times a day. Is this unusual to get equivalent pain relief from the suboxone? Or is to be expected that I require 16-24mg s day considering in needed the 7.5mg of fentanyl every hour?

OXYmom is offline Member

Default Can you clarify, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissism View Post
    I was previously on fentanyl at 75mcg every 48 hours- however I cannot deal with the side effects any more. I know that fentanyl is the most potent narcotic pain medication available. I find myself needing at least 8mg twice a day and on worse days three times a day. Is this unusual to get equivalent pain relief from the suboxone? Or is to be expected that I require 16-24mg s day considering in needed the 7.5mg of fentanyl every hour?
    Hi, I wanted to try to give you some feedback on your question, but first I need to understand it better. You say you cannot deal with the side effect of Fentanyl anymore. But, did you stop taking it? Because then you refer to "needing at least 8mg twice a day" and I am assuming here you are talking about Suboxone. Is that right?
    Did you stop the fentanyl, go through moderate to severe withdrawal as indicated on the COWS worksheet and then induce yourself on Suboxone? Are you under the care of your doctor? Did they induce in the office?
    If you could give us some more information, we can give you some advice. Many of us here have been on Suboxone. I think I am one of the few who was prescribed subs for pain. At least when I posted a while back about it, I got only one reply.
    So, I would be more than willing to share my experience with you once I understand your situation better. Thanks and God bless!

Narcissism is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by OXYmom View Post
    Hi, I wanted to try to give you some feedback on your question, but first I need to understand it better. You say you cannot deal with the side effect of Fentanyl anymore. But, did you stop taking it? Because then you refer to "needing at least 8mg twice a day" and I am assuming here you are talking about Suboxone. Is that right?
    Did you stop the fentanyl, go through moderate to severe withdrawal as indicated on the COWS worksheet and then induce yourself on Suboxone? Are you under the care of your doctor? Did they induce in the office?
    If you could give us some more information, we can give you some advice. Many of us here have been on Suboxone. I think I am one of the few who was prescribed subs for pain. At least when I posted a while back about it, I got only one reply.
    So, I would be more than willing to share my experience with you once I understand your situation better. Thanks and God bless!

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I was inducted onto suboxone after 78 hours fentanyl free. 8mg (twice daily) keeps the pain under control and I am happy to say I am symptom free (from side-effects) that I was experiencing while on fentanyl. (Nausea, Extreme Anxiety, Random bouts of crying, Hot Flashes-- to the point of not be able to leave my house, etc.) My Primary Care physician originally prescribed me fentanyl but I was previously on oxycodone and stadol (stadol became too expensive, because it isn't a preferred drug) I can get suboxone (as much as I need through my insurance mail-in pharmacy for $65 for a three month supply).

The same primary care physician recommended suboxone for pain. I am anxious to hear about your experience, thank you for taking the time to reply.

OXYmom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissism View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I was inducted onto suboxone after 78 hours fentanyl free. 8mg (twice daily) keeps the pain under control and I am happy to say I am symptom free (from side-effects) that I was experiencing while on fentanyl. (Nausea, Extreme Anxiety, Random bouts of crying, Hot Flashes-- to the point of not be able to leave my house, etc.) My Primary Care physician originally prescribed me fentanyl but I was previously on oxycodone and stadol (stadol became too expensive, because it isn't a preferred drug) I can get suboxone (as much as I need through my insurance mail-in pharmacy for $65 for a three month supply).

The same primary care physician recommended suboxone for pain. I am anxious to hear about your experience, thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Hey. Sorry I haven't been around, but I've been really busy at work. But, I do want to reply to your post. I now understand your situation much better. I was taking the same-16 mgs per day but it was split differently. My sub doctor told me that for the management of pain, the sub was supposed to work better if I took 4 mgs q 4 hrs. during the day. I could have taken up to 24 mgs per day, but I didn't. And, after the first week, I did dose myself down to 4 mgs 3xday instead of 4 to see if that was still helpful.
    Here is where I am going to be completely honest with you- I did not get the relief that I expected. I do not want to sound discouraging (please don't take it that way) but I suffered more side effects with the sub than with 180 mg oxycodone/day. I get terrible mouth sores while on Suboxone. I talked to my prescribing dr. and she said there was no way that sub was causing that. But, IT WAS. They went away when I stopped taking it! That has happened each time I've been on them; 4 times total. Sexual side effects were also extreme with the sub.
    I guess it just goes back to the fact that each person has their own experience with medication. If the sub is working and you are comfortable with the situation AND you can trust your doctor, then I don't see a reason to change things at all. I guess most ppl would be more concerned about coming off the sub and the fact that you may suffer w/d. I personally never have, so I am very fortunate!
    Good luck to you.