Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Suboxone side effect..please help
    Anonymous Guest

Default Suboxone side effect..please help

I have been reading the posts about suboxone and have one question. First of all, I am currently on the program and have been for just about six weeks. I am taking around 10 mg a day. I am usually a very calm woman with little or no temper. The other night I got into an argument with my partner and completely lost all control. I mean I was filled with rage. I did not hurt anybody but I broke things, which is absolutely uncharacteristic of my nature. I am horrified by my behavior and ashamed beyond words. Can anyone tell me if this is attributable to the suboxone? Is irritability or anger a side effect? I am grasping here because this is something I have never done and am so terrified of my outburst. I actually broke a lamp, which again, I cannot reitterate enough how uncharacteristic that behavior is for me.
    Thanks for any responses.

2old4this is offline New Member

Default So familiar

Can't say for sure, different for everyone... During the detox process (even on subutex) all sorts of things are going on within. Neurotransmitters trying to figure out how to connect on their own maybe..? Don't know for sure - but I do know, and from more that one experience, you will go through some emotional issues. Some good - some not so good. Happy, sad, etc... and anger IS and emotion. These things will happen, and they diminish in time.

Oh, and the good stuff seems to kinda take over in time. Yep.. I know. Tough to deal with for now.

Hang tough. You'll be OK. Really.

Week 3 'OFF' of Subutex after years and years of MS Contin, Methodone, etc. and gettin' better, gradually.

sisterwin2 is offline Member

TY for that post 2old.............. I am off now for three days and in wd from the sub.... I needed to see a sucess.

Starrienites.... yes, I find this also.. I really have to shut my mouth and think.. I now count to 30 before I will respond at work to any situation that I may not agree with,

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Sister

2old4this is offline New Member

Default I understand

I know you need to hear about successes. You have to have something to focus on - especially when focus comes so hard. At the end of week one, my doc thought maybe I didn't cut back slow enough because it was still a struggle. He called in another prescription of 2mg. subutex. That was 2 weeks ago. Hardest thing I've done in a while, but they're still there at the pharmacy and I'm looking at week 4 coming up.

Gets better every day. Some days by a foot, others only an inch (or less) but always enough to notice. Took a week to a week and a half to really start noticing the fog clearing. Kept saying - gotta get this done some time. Might as well tough it out and get it done.

As a foot note - getting rid of this subutex is no where near as bad as dumping MS Contin or methodone was for me.

Good luck, you'll make it. Really

soverysad is offline New Member

Default Anger on suboxone

Suboxone is obviously highly effective has been able to keep my husband off of opiates for a few months and counting, I would have thought nothing could make me happier because his vicodin/percocet/valium/lorazepam abuse ruined our marriage. I was so eager to rebuild things but suboxone has made things take a particularly degrading turn because when on this drug he speaks to me with loathing and repulsion. When he first started, it was all out humiliating verbal abuse, but then things did start to calm down a bit (though still he was always borderline grumpy). Then he ran out of them because he chose to take more than was prescribed, which resulted in withdrawl drama, but he finally got his hands on a refill. Then the initial symptoms started all over again. He was full of impatience which largely ruined my birthday (just as one of his many vicodin binges had ruined a birthday in previous years). To his credit, he is trying to wean himself off Suboxone, but he does choose to take them on the weekends, which means that I can plan to be cruely snapped at during my time off, or just say forget it and hang out by myself. I am setting my life up so I can do the latter as I just don't know how much more of this I can take (dealing with his abuse for years). Funny, my running from suboxone doesn't seem much different that running from the times that he was whacked out on vicodin/percocet/valium/lorazepam. Anyway, I give Suboxone credit for what it is prescribed to do, but from the "loved ones" perspective, the nightmare continues.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-20-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by soverysad View Post
    Suboxone is obviously highly effective has been able to keep my husband off of opiates for a few months and counting, I would have thought nothing could make me happier because his vicodin/percocet/valium/lorazepam abuse ruined our marriage. I was so eager to rebuild things but suboxone has made things take a particularly degrading turn because when on this drug he speaks to me with loathing and repulsion. When he first started, it was all out humiliating verbal abuse, but then things did start to calm down a bit (though still he was always borderline grumpy). Then he ran out of them because he chose to take more than was prescribed, which resulted in withdrawl drama, but he finally got his hands on a refill. Then the initial symptoms started all over again. He was full of impatience which largely ruined my birthday (just as one of his many vicodin binges had ruined a birthday in previous years). To his credit, he is trying to wean himself off Suboxone, but he does choose to take them on the weekends, which means that I can plan to be cruely snapped at during my time off, or just say forget it and hang out by myself. I am setting my life up so I can do the latter as I just don't know how much more of this I can take (dealing with his abuse for years). Funny, my running from suboxone doesn't seem much different that running from the times that he was whacked out on vicodin/percocet/valium/lorazepam. Anyway, I give Suboxone credit for what it is prescribed to do, but from the "loved ones" perspective, the nightmare continues.

He's taking it wrong and it sounds like he would do better with subutex. About 15% of all people react adversely to the naloxone in suboxone. I would switch to subutex( just pure buprenorphine) and he needs to take his meds daily.

I'll be glad to help him get on track if he wants some help. Let me know if I can help. I've been doing this a long time. Here is a link to how I've suggested using subs successfully here on the forum for years. Hope it helps and let me know if he wants some help. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...tml#post220161
    mardigras man 420 likes this.

soverysad is offline New Member

Robert, Thanks so much for the advice. Not sure if my husband has already heard of this drug or not but I will advise him. I love him more than anything in life. While the drugs have taken a huge toll, he remains generous and loyal among many other wonderful things. I won't stop fighting for our marriage. Thanks again!!!!

majorcynic is offline New Member

Above all, SoverySad, your husband is an addict and acting out his addiction. His behavior has nothing to do with Suboxone, and, from reading your post, it sounds as if he is not using it as prescribed if he is upping his dosage on weekends. He needs to be participating in some sort of recovery program, because Suboxone - if taken properly - will simply right the capsized canoe and allow for smooth sailing by eliminating cravings, thus providing a level playing field so the addict can focus on the issues that led to the addiction. I speak from experience, having just gotten off of Suboxone from 3 years of treatment. It saved my life from certain death from painkiller abuse. So... the long answer is above; the short answer is : You need to take care of yourself, first and foremost, because you are allowing yourself to be a punching bag right now and that is unfortunately perpetuating the dance of madness. Sounds like hubby needs some tough love and fast.

mcpepper111 is offline New Member

Angry Yes - my daughter completely flipped out and has turned on me like a pit viper

I too am experiencing the same issues. My daughter is 33 years old and was addicted to pain killers for years yet she lied and covered it up for so long. She finally had a withdrawal episode that led her to rehab where she was prescribed suboxone. At first we thought it was a miracle drug. She was not thinking about the opiates she longed for and she was actually transitioning into a regular life without her crutch meds. But then WHAMMO! She turned into an angry, bitter, paranoid, vicious, hateful person that lies and THRUSTS people away from her. A couple of years ago I had health problems and had to move in with her. She was always kind and giving and a good daughter to me. However, after one week on suboxone she has "evicted" me, cut off communication, locked me out of the house, and basically left me homeless. She avoids me, blames me, accuses me, gossips about me, and distances herself from me in many ways. She is ruining our relationship and although she is my daughter, a person can only handle so much pain and rejection and arrives at the point where the roadsign reads ENOUGH.

Signed,
    Helpless and hopeless in NC

jojojeep1 is offline New Member

im on day 26 from detox , and I have no control over my rage , I hope this passes

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
    im on day 26 from detox , and I have no control over my rage , I hope this passes
    Hi there. Yes, it will pass. Give it time. Your mind and emotions take time to heal.

Congrats on getting clean!
    Kat