Suboxone Taper Questions
    wnt2stp is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Taper Questions

I've read most of the threads on here about tapering off Suboxone and am so encouraged. I've been on it for about 4-5 years for chronic pain. I've been sober in AA for drugs and alcohol for over 20 years and started Suboxone instead of other narcotics (Lortab, etc.) for the pain as I knew I'd get addicted and break my sobriety. I've been on 4mg for about two years, and now want to completely taper off. I read Robert's tapering plan and am now at 2mg. My concern is my psychiatrist, who prescribes the subs, is on leave until August, but told me when she returned, we'd start the taper. She also said it would take 6 months to a year.

The success stories from Robert's plan are so exciting and that's what I am doing to get to 2mg. Why does my pdoc think it will take so long? Does she know something others on here don't or is she just covering herself? I also take Paxil 60mg/da for severe depression, but am stable and not depressed at all for close to a year. I've had no wd symptoms since cutting my dose in half, and am completely motivated to stop sub forever.

Do any of you have any thoughts? I'd love the support of this forum as I continue my taper. Thank you so much.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wnt2stp View Post
    I've read most of the threads on here about tapering off Suboxone and am so encouraged. I've been on it for about 4-5 years for chronic pain. I've been sober in AA for drugs and alcohol for over 20 years and started Suboxone instead of other narcotics (Lortab, etc.) for the pain as I knew I'd get addicted and break my sobriety. I've been on 4mg for about two years, and now want to completely taper off. I read Robert's tapering plan and am now at 2mg. My concern is my psychiatrist, who prescribes the subs, is on leave until August, but told me when she returned, we'd start the taper. She also said it would take 6 months to a year.

The success stories from Robert's plan are so exciting and that's what I am doing to get to 2mg. Why does my pdoc think it will take so long? Does she know something others on here don't or is she just covering herself? I also take Paxil 60mg/da for severe depression, but am stable and not depressed at all for close to a year. I've had no wd symptoms since cutting my dose in half, and am completely motivated to stop sub forever.

Do any of you have any thoughts? I'd love the support of this forum as I continue my taper. Thank you so much.
    Welcome to the forums wnt2stp. I replied to you on another thread in the suboxone forums started by Chuck_nyc. You might want to start a thread in the need to talk forum or the suboxne forums where more people will see it. I myself had quite a battle with alcohol for many years. First went to treatment for alcohol back in 1992 and spent the next 13 years in and out of AA, treatment centers,detox places and regular hospitals. Havent picked up a drink since Nov of 2005 but turned recreational opiate use into full addiction of opiates since them and started suboxone last Aug to get free from opiates. Was only on it for 4 months and started out at 12 mg a day for a couple weeks then started to wean myself off of it using Robert 325 taper plan and the help off some wonderful people from this site. If you start a thread in either of the 2 places i mentioned you will get responses from members here who have gone thru what you are going to be doing. Hope to see you start a thread and look forward to being any help that i can be to you in your journey to be suboxone free.

Alex