Taking Suboxone/Subutex and having Major Surgery. Please help.
    SouthernSweety5 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Taking Suboxone/Subutex and having Major Surgery. Please help.

I am taking Subutex and I am having major surgery. I have stopped my dose of Sub that I was taking which was 2 mg a day..cold turkey. By the time I have my surgery I will have been off the Sub for atleast 3 weeks..give or take..Hopefully, unless I have it before then. I am concerned about anethesia and pain medicine afterwards..seeing as I am going to need both to be able to recover. I do not plan on going back on my Subutex after the surgery. I plan on taking my regime of pain medications and then stopping and staying in recovery..as seeing the hardships that Sub's can cause to someone and myself! I am hopeing someone has had a similar experience and will able to give me some good advice. I have heard everything possible..and all the horror stories..I have talked to every doctor possible and they all give me the run around and can't give me a straight answer. I want the cold hard truth. What should I expect? I am not looking to get "high" I am going to need serious pain relief to be able to move and recover and I need the meds to do their full job on me and help me..and Im afraid this won't be possible even though I have stopped using the Sub 3 weeks prior. Thanks and God bless.

newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member

Unfortunately, sub works so good that it does stop the effects of other opiates. However, if you are off sub for 3 weeks, there should be no problem whatsoever. Doctors usually stay stop the sub 4-5 days before a surgery. This is exactly the situation that scared the hxll out of me which I had no idea of before starting sub. I'm almost off sub totally, down to tiny pieces equal to about 1/16 of 2 mg. I know I should just stop now but fear rules my life. Fear of needing surgery is one of the major reasons I decided to get off sub. It is a wonderful opiate blocker but when you need opiates, you're in a jam. 3 weeks is more than enough time though to be able to get pain relief. When did you stop the sub and how are you handling the w/d, if any?

SouthernSweety5 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    Unfortunately, sub works so good that it does stop the effects of other opiates. However, if you are off sub for 3 weeks, there should be no problem whatsoever. Doctors usually stay stop the sub 4-5 days before a surgery. This is exactly the situation that scared the hxll out of me which I had no idea of before starting sub. I'm almost off sub totally, down to tiny pieces equal to about 1/16 of 2 mg. I know I should just stop now but fear rules my life. Fear of needing surgery is one of the major reasons I decided to get off sub. It is a wonderful opiate blocker but when you need opiates, you're in a jam. 3 weeks is more than enough time though to be able to get pain relief. When did you stop the sub and how are you handling the w/d, if any?
    I stopped the sub almost 6 days ago. I was handling it pretty well to very well. Then things got really bad lastnight and have been bad all day today..it has been like the first day of withdrawal from hard narcotics, I am scared and don't know if I can do this really. I wish there were something that I could take to ease the discomfort that wouldn't be a blocker! The biggest problem is my muscles the weakness, the flexing, I cannot sit still. I do not know what to do. My dr. told me that 2mg is detox level and you can come off that without any physical effects that any effect you feel from 2mg is strictly mental. So that might help you some. But I don't know what is going on..I don't know if its were it has takin the Sub 6 days to start to leave my system and now I'm experiencing withdrawals or what. I dont know what to do! Neeed help.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSweety5 View Post
    I stopped the sub almost 6 days ago. I was handling it pretty well to very well. Then things got really bad lastnight and have been bad all day today..it has been like the first day of withdrawal from hard narcotics, I am scared and don't know if I can do this really. I wish there were something that I could take to ease the discomfort that wouldn't be a blocker! The biggest problem is my muscles the weakness, the flexing, I cannot sit still. I do not know what to do. My dr. told me that 2mg is detox level and you can come off that without any physical effects that any effect you feel from 2mg is strictly mental. So that might help you some. But I don't know what is going on..I don't know if its were it has takin the Sub 6 days to start to leave my system and now I'm experiencing withdrawals or what. I dont know what to do! Neeed help.

Your dr misinformed you. 2mg will still leave you in terrible w/d. However if you are facing imperative surgery and tell the surgeon about the subs they can put you under even with the subs. They will test you to make sure you are healthy but they can over compensate for a 2mg dose of sub if surgery is imperative. That is a fact! God bless.

cd_smith30 is offline New Member

i have discovered Gabapentin which has a ton of uses which include anxiety & pain. What I discovered while using this is it kills any withdrawals you may have when taking Suboxone. If you miss a few days or you have surgery coming up & don't have time to go off it in a slow manner., this stuff will kill ALL PHYSICAL WITHDRAWALS! I wish I had known about it when I first got on Suboxone, but am very grateful now to have it as part of my Rx. Gabapentin will be your best friend, no worries when it comes to needing to get off the Suboxone temporarily.

Jackhammer1357 is offline New Member

Default Major surgery and Subutex (Buprenorphne) chronic pain

I am taking Subutex (Buprenorphone) daily for chronic pain. I had surgery, quad laminectomy. I discussed the the need of larger doses of opiates with surgeon prior to the operation, I was titrated off of Subutex and back onto Oxycodone over three weeks prior to surgery and all was conveyed to the Vertans administration doctor. I awoke in recovery receiving one eighth the amount of Oxycodone I was taking porior to surgery. It was a torturous experience. I spent over a week in the hospital in massive pain and unable to get the doctors to give me any comfort what so ever. I am now beginning to have painful flashbacks to the torture endured at the hands of my surgeon, even though i coordinated between the pain management group and the surgeon prior to surgery and my wife begging for some relief whle I was in recover room. SHe even called the Pain mangement doctor and had him call the Veterans Administration. Bottom line is. You will never get pain relief if if taking buprenorphine. you must think several months ahead, titrate off of buprenorphone and back onto regular high dose opiates, then lower the dose of oipiates until you are almost off of them entirely. Bottom line is, if you are on buprenorphne prior to surgery plan on extreme pain for at least 5 days before opiates will work. If you are having severe pain plan on PTSD after surgery. it will be torture. The Governent is so worried about Johnny getting opiates and overdosing they make it impossible for physicians to treat patients in a humane fashion. All drugs should be over the counter. Darwin at work. I have taken opiates for over 12 years and NEVER had an overdose or even come close, just take them as prescriobed. If you are too weak to follow instructions it is not the medications fault. Cowboy up people. Make drugs legal everywhere so people can treat their pain and ive their live free from Overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSweety5 View Post
    I am taking Subutex and I am having major surgery. I have stopped my dose of Sub that I was taking which was 2 mg a day..cold turkey. By the time I have my surgery I will have been off the Sub for atleast 3 weeks..give or take..Hopefully, unless I have it before then. I am concerned about anethesia and pain medicine afterwards..seeing as I am going to need both to be able to recover. I do not plan on going back on my Subutex after the surgery. I plan on taking my regime of pain medications and then stopping and staying in recovery..as seeing the hardships that Sub's can cause to someone and myself! I am hopeing someone has had a similar experience and will able to give me some good advice. I have heard everything possible..and all the horror stories..I have talked to every doctor possible and they all give me the run around and can't give me a straight answer. I want the cold hard truth. What should I expect? I am not looking to get "high" I am going to need serious pain relief to be able to move and recover and I need the meds to do their full job on me and help me..and Im afraid this won't be possible even though I have stopped using the Sub 3 weeks prior. Thanks and God bless.