Talwin

Default Talwin

Does anyone know about a drug called Talwin? It is a painkiller I know that contains the narcotic Pentazocine, but has anyone ever had any addiction problems with this drug and if so what do u do? A friend of mine is highly addicted to these. He wants to quit but doesn't know how and I am not too familiar with this drug. It is an opiate, I know that much. Any advice on what to tell him or how to taper off of this specific drug would be helpful. Thanks

Default Wow--Talwin

Talwin--an opiate--comes in two forms:

Injectable and oral which is combined with naloxone, an anti-opiate like the the one in Suboxone.

I'm old, but I haven't heard of anyone being addicted to that for a L O N G time.
    Maybe Robert has more info.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    Does anyone know about a drug called Talwin? It is a painkiller I know that contains the narcotic Pentazocine, but has anyone ever had any addiction problems with this drug and if so what do u do? A friend of mine is highly addicted to these. He wants to quit but doesn't know how and I am not too familiar with this drug. It is an opiate, I know that much. Any advice on what to tell him or how to taper off of this specific drug would be helpful. Thanks

Talwin is an opioid narcotic the same as others. It's one of the few opiates I've not taken in mass quantities but have used it in a pinch. I would need to know more about your friend's history but talwin acts on the same brain receptors as other opiates and recovery from dependence to talwin can be done the same as with other opiates. Problem with it is that it has a short half life unlike suboxone for getting clean when combined with naloxone. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-03-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Default will find out

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Talwin is an opioid narcotic the same as others. It's one of the few opiates I've not taken in mass quantities but have used it in a pinch. I would need to know more about your friend's history but talwin acts on the same brain receptors as other opiates and recovery from dependence to talwin can be done the same as with other opiates. Problem with it is that it has a short half life unlike suboxone for getting clean when combined with naloxone. God bless.
    Thanks Robert. I will have to find out more from him, his dosage, how many he is taking. He wants to get clean. I actually never heard of the drug before, but then I looked it up and yes it is a narcotic. Must not be prescribed very much cuz I don't hear about it. I am supposed to see him this week, so I will get back with more info. so maybe u can help, because I do not know enough about this drug or its effects, but it is habit-forming apparantly. Thanks. TTYL