Trazadone????
    Guest Guest

Default Trazadone????

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. Just a brief history. I have GAD and have been on effexor xr since 2000. After getting married 6 months ago, I had an "episode" and developed severe panic attacks after the wedding was over and done with. (Too much stressing I guess ) My Dr. gave me some ativan at first for temporary relief, and then prescribed klonipin. I was hesitant to take it, but decided to take .5mg when needed. It started to ease my anxiety. Recently I have had a few "episodes" and went back to see my Doctor. I have had trouble sleeping, so she prescribed Trazadone. I am hesitant to take it, after doing some research on the pill. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-24-2007 at 02:28 PM.

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

Trazadone is a safe drug to take.It is actually a very old anti depressant but the problem with it was it made patients fall asleep.The dose that the doctors order for sleep is much lower then what they would order for depression.I'm on methadone and therefore can't take benzodiazepines for sleep.When I first started treatment almost 5 years ago I had alot of trouble sleeping.My doctor ordered Trazadone and it worked well.You may experience a bit of a hang over effect at first but it goes away quickly.My advice is to take it as early as you can.Good luck and good sleeping.....Dave

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Trazadone

Good morning from Pennsylvania,
    I was on methdone, like Dave said, however once I got off the methadone and on the suboxone my doctor prescribed me trazadone. It didn't do anything at all for me. He kept on increasing the dose, but still no sleep at all. Now keep in mind I could have still been detoxing from the methadone. He now has me on Restoril (which is a benzo) but it helps me relax before bedtime and then I fall right asleep with no morning hangover. Good Luck. Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by ecee413 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. Just a brief history. I have GAD and have been on effexor xr since 2000. After getting married 6 months ago, I had an "episode" and developed severe panic attacks after the wedding was over and done with. (Too much stressing I guess ) My Dr. gave me some ativan at first for temporary relief, and then prescribed klonipin. I was hesitant to take it, but decided to take .5mg when needed. It started to ease my anxiety. Recently I have had a few "episodes" and went back to see my Doctor. I have had trouble sleeping, so she prescribed Trazadone. I am hesitant to take it, after doing some research on the pill. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Thanks for the advice

aliciamsw is offline New Member

depending on your sensitivity to medications, desyrel (trazodone) has different results for different people.
    i was prescribed trazodone along with lex for trouble sleeping. let me tell you...trazodone will knock your a** out. within an hour, i was snoring happily. i did experience a "hangover" effect in that i was still very tired and groggy in the morning after taking it. the way to combat this i found was to take it earlier and go to bed earlier.
    i have known of severe anxiety and PTSD victims in my line of work who have taken twice my nighttime dose during the day and been fine so once again it depends on your symptoms and level of sensitivity to meds. i do have a friend who takes it as her sole antidepressant as her main symptom of depression is sleeplessness.
    bottom line: it is really worth a try as far as sleeping goes...try it at night, maybe on a weekend to see how it feels for you but honestly i have never had any 'freaky' experiences on trazodone and still take it at night during periods of stress.
    i stress to NEVER take it during the day until you know how it will make you feel and if you do mix with alcohol you will be passed out on the couch with sharpie marker written all over your forehead the next day!

3discsoutofwhack is offline Junior Member

Default Do you have a history of panic attacks ?

If the anxiety and panic began after you were married, I would advice some counceling from a therapist first before entering the world of medication. Once you start it is not so easy to stop. Just a little warning
    3 discs

metallison77 is offline New Member

Default sleep

i was on trazadone daily for 2 years and still take it ocassionally for insomnia, i have suffered from insomnia my whole life and trazadone really worked great i only take 50 - 100mg as needed but i works wonders i also suffer from cronic nightmares ans it helped with that as well. i was not habitforming like some sleep aids and aslong as i went to bed early i wasn't that groggy. it takes about a half hour to kickin for me, the only prob for me is if i miss that half and hour window of sedation i will just be very sleepy but un able to sleep. so make sure you take it when you are sure you will have no interuption going to sleep. i would be a good idea to try it on a week end so you can test it.

seeker2k is offline New Member

Default Trazadone good for sleep

I also take Trazadone for sleep, however I seem to be on a MUCH higher dosage than most of the others that have posted, but I started at 50mg, and increased 1/2 tablet ever 1/2 hour until it worked, first night it was at 275mg before it worked, but I played with the dosage for a few days, and have settled comfortably on 200mg.

I can reduce it to about 1/2 when I take the pain meds (hydrocodone).

but for the most part it's a great drug, many times I don't even remember my dreams, only time I wake up is when I forget to take the antacids before bed (that's another story).

I had sleep problems for years (as long as I remember) put it this way I remember being 7 and watching MASH on tv at 11:30 - 12:30, and watching other stuff after that (the simon & simon re-runs) etc... but since I've been on it, I sleep like a baby, only 1 sugestion take a couple glasses of water b4 bed it helps if you happen to wake early to reduce the "hang-over" effect.

but it's great not addictive (I don't think), don't know havent stopped taking it for about 2 years.

biggest thing to remember everyone's dose is different, start low figure out when it's been enough, and back off a bit the next few nights, as it builds into your system it will take a bit less. also BE READY TO SLEEP almost 30 minutes exact it's beautiful.

also remember it's great when inlaws stay with you, take them and go to another room and relax and no need to pay attention because you'll be out 8-)

good luck

have fun

karenvollmar is offline New Member

Default Trazadone

I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a month for insomnia. It does put me right to sleep(unless I drank caffeine during the day) but... I have been experiencing severe night sweats about 1 time a week. I have tried other prescription and otc sleep aides and never had this happen, but didn't sleep as well either. I only take 50mgs. It also gives me a slight hang over the next morning, and a low grade headache. Any suggestions?

salamander is offline New Member

Default Laura K

Quote Originally Posted by karenvollmar View Post
    I have been taking Trazadone for a little over a month for insomnia. It does put me right to sleep(unless I drank caffeine during the day) but... I have been experiencing severe night sweats about 1 time a week. I have tried other prescription and otc sleep aides and never had this happen, but didn't sleep as well either. I only take 50mgs. It also gives me a slight hang over the next morning, and a low grade headache. Any suggestions?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor recently prescribed trazadone for insomnia, as well. Are you aware it is an antidepressant? I am experiencing headaches, body aches, and noticed that if I miss a dose, I get nauseous. I have only been on it a week and I am considering discontinuing it. I don't like meds that make you sick when you DON'Ttake them.
    I have tried so many meds for insomnia. Ambien didn't work, when I tried Lunesta, it tasted like I ate the moth that is used in the tv commercial-it caused a horrible taste in my mouth.
    I also tried a combination of Imipramine & Clonezapam which worked really well, but imipramine is a tricylic antidepressant and clonezapam is a benzodiazepine or anticonvulsant. I discontinued using it last year because it interfered with other medications I needed to take. Have you tried herbal remedies like valerian root, melatonin, or chamomile? They didn't really work for me, but i know several people who expereinced success with them.
    I know someone who takes Sonata (zaleplon) who has done well with it. You might want to get info on it and ask your doctor if it may be a better option for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-29-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: punctuation error

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor recently prescribed trazadone for insomnia, as well. Are you aware it is an antidepressant? I am experiencing headaches, body aches, and noticed that if I miss a dose, I get nauseous. I have only been on it a week and I am considering discontinuing it. I don't like meds that make you sick when you DON'Ttake them.
    I have tried so many meds for insomnia. Ambien didn't work, when I tried Lunesta, it tasted like I ate the moth that is used in the tv commercial-it caused a horrible taste in my mouth.
    I also tried a combination of Imipramine & Clonezapam which worked really well, but imipramine is a tricylic antidepressant and clonezapam is a benzodiazepine or anticonvulsant. I discontinued using it last year because it interfered with other medications I needed to take.
    Have you tried herbal remedies like valerian root, melatonin, or chamomile? They didn't really work for me, but i know several people who expereinced success with them.
    I know someone who takes Sonata (zaleplon) who has done well with it. You might want to get info on it and ask your doctor if it may be a better option for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-29-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: punctuation error

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post

I also tried a combination of Imipramine & Clonezapam which worked really well, but imipramine is a tricylic antidepressant and clonezapam is a benzodiazepine or anticonvulsant. I discontinued using it last year because it interfered with other medications I needed to take.
    Have you tried herbal remedies like valerian root, melatonin, or chamomile? They didn't really work for me, but i know several people who expereinced success with them.

Thats a drag you got sick from the Trazodone. I guess almost any kind of a side effect is possible from medications as we are all so different. Most people do pretty well though with Trazodone for the most part. I never promote a drug. I certainly don't promote Trazodone, I think it's kind of over used actually.

You mentioned being prescribed benzos in the past for sleep. Unless someone didn't react favorably like you described in your case I would much rather see a person taking Trazodone for sleep over any one of the many benzos. Benzos are dangerous drugs to become dependent on. I used too many benzos over the years and was also prescribed Trazodone for a long time. Trazodone always seemed to be a pretty good sleep aid to me. Lately I have been thinking about checking into the herbal remedies. I'm not taking anything at this time but I could sleep better than I do. I probably need to learn some more about the herbal alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    hi if you are still taking thre other meds you may not want to take the trazadone. Type in the drug interaction checker- you may be on things that should not be combined. My MD is famous for giving me things that come up major-major drug interaction- even after I say "...and this is okay to take with Adderall?" So type in all the stuff youre on and make sure it's okay if it's not try chamomile tea, deep breathing. Good luck