Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
Went cold turkey off Lexapro!
    freakyangie is offline New Member

I am also a new member here and I stopped taking Lexapro on Nov. 14. My main concern was A LOT of weight gain and my blood pressure went up dramatically! The problems I am having now are mood swings, headaches, dizziness, nausea, and can't sleep an entire night. The mood swings are bad! I go from crying my eyes out one minute to mad at the world the next. It's terrible! Of course, I did not tell my dr. that I was going to stop taking Lexapro. They were more concerned with my high bp when I was there and put me on another medication for that. I'm also having anxiety attacks more often. I didn't have them when I was on Lexapro. It was like I really didn't care about anything and nothing really bothered me, sort of "out of it", I suppose. I have GAD and that's why the dr. put me on Lexapro about 4 years ago, 20 MG per day. I feel like I'm damned if I go off of it and damned if I don't!!

Pammybun is offline New Member

I joined this forum and it is interesting to see how people have coped with coming off this drug. I live in the UK and was on escitalopram for about 2 years 20mg dose (which is highest prescribed here). I was prescribed it for anxiety and panic attacks and while it worked on a day to day basis I still had panic and anxiety when I did anything outwith my normal routine. Because of that I felt it was pointless taking them so when my prescription ran out a month ago I went cold turkey. At first I had loads of energy and being honest I do still have more than I had. I had headaches for a couple of days and I do have weepy days and days where I feel very angry - and on those days I just tell my family that I am in a foul mood and best if they avoid me My main problem is that I have weird dreams - had some weird ones while on the meds but these ones are way off the scale but I guess it is my brain re aligning itself. Funnily enough though in the past month I have been able to do things that while even on the escitalpram I would not have been able to do. I feel much more like I am back in control of my own destiny and have not felt anxious at all. Having looked I think I will prob have side effects for about another two months. I did put on weight on them and for the first couple of weeks off I could not stop eating >>>> (which I think is a common thing) so have not had any weight loss. But for me so far the good is outweighing the bad. Good luck to everyone trying to come off this drug - personally I think it caused more issues than it helped.

sheryl1992 is offline New Member

I've been on 20mg of Lexapro for almost 6-7 years now and I started cold turkey 6 days ago. Today's my 6th day and here are my symptoms
    - constant chest pains, problems breathing due to heart constantly racing, severe depression and social anxiety, bad headaches, gastrics and dizziness. Nausea and vomiting

I wanted to ask if anyone knows when the symptoms will go away. Also, how long will my weight start to taper off? I've put on 10-12kg ever since I started taking lexapro. From an underweight girl to someone who's chubby now. It's very depressing. Could someone please advice me & let me know I'm not alone, I'm so so afraid I might get a heart attack due to the heart racing

Needhelp07 is offline New Member

Default Weaning myself off Lexapro

I have currently lost my job after 42 years and mentally could not cope with the "Why" factor..I felt withdrawn and anxious and I could not sleep at night..so the doctor prescribed me lexapro. I am not sure why they felt the need to balance out my brain..I needed more understanding from the current event...More like a therapist BUT not just a therapist a "Cognitive Therapist" To help me through this traumatic experience..It was terribly traumatic for me having this happen to me because also in the interim I lost my little store at the place of work I had with no warning..my coping mechanisms were not working..SO they put me on lexapro and I found it did absolutely nothing..NOTHING is going to clarify what went on in my life..let alone the so called miracle drug LEXAPRO.. When I told the Doctor I wanted off Lexapro he forbid it..I believe they are NOT telling us what is actually behind this drug so I decided to just stop it on my own but then my cousin said absolutely not..YOU have to wean it off for the amount of time and trick it ...if you took it for a month we have to work out a program every other day.. I am now taking it every other day for two to three weeks..( Monday Wed , Fri and Sunday ) so far not abnormal outcome..I get panic anxiety attacks at night I am on a small dosage of ativan whiich is also called lorazapam and I wake up fine..it just take the edge off..My cousin suggests me going off lexapro as we have been doing it..I am also going to to yoga, cognitive therapy..and reiki..I need a natural solution NOT some hidden drug that will turn me green if I stop it cold turkey...the Doctor was adamant without explanation as to I should NOT stop it..they know more than they are telling us...I do not think I need SSRI's (Serotonin re-uptake in inhibitors as dramatic as this..I need to find out the cause of my situation before a pill can help me..so for now as the time goes by I am taking this every other day and by next week I will be eliminating another day off and back on my vitamin regimen which seems to help much better I hope this post helps all those who are trying to get off this drug..

Default Went off cold turkey lexapro

Just wean yourself off it or back on it...do it every other day stay extremely hydrated...and work out a regimen that YOU can wean yourself off of it...it's like an oxygen hose one minute your breathing fine the next minute someone stepped on the hose and all hell breaks loose..just do it gradually and YOU will be okay....take some Vit B 12;s and extra Cs and a lot of water..
    subsandxanax likes this.

Default Went Cold Turkey off Lexapro

You should ask your doctor about a schedule to give you so you are not feeling this way to help you wean off.. stopping this pill cold turkey as I have read has a lot of side effects...I did stop cold turkey for two weeks but I am back on it but on a every other day regimen..after three weeks I take off one day...I am doing it monday Wed Fri and Sun I just took off Sun this week and have had NO side effects at all...I am happy my cousin helped me do it this way otherwise I would probably be experiencing these symptoms like everyone else..Hope this helps..Try taking some B12 and more VIT C and hydrate hydrate more ..

Default Getting off Lexapro cold turkey

I had bad anxieties at night and I was put on Lorazapam to help with the anxieties and now I am on Lexapro which I am getting off of ..I'm only on this pill since June of 2016 and I already saw the negative side with it..RIght now I am weaning myself off of it...I take it every other day...and next week I will be eliminating one more day taken off of the routine.. I have increased my B12's and Vit C and have joined a yoga group to help with any other anxieties plus a few friends are certified in Reiki which I will be attending those classes as well I decided to go more natural in my situation...then to have to deal on meds...My Blood pressure has gone down tremendously since I am not on apple cider vinegar ....two tablespoons in water does the trick..no one said it had to taste so great but it is working..Google it ..it will tell you ..I hope this helps you...Take Care..
    subsandxanax likes this.

subsandxanax is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by freakyangie View Post
    I am also a new member here and I stopped taking Lexapro on Nov. 14. My main concern was A LOT of weight gain and my blood pressure went up dramatically! The problems I am having now are mood swings, headaches, dizziness, nausea, and can't sleep an entire night. The mood swings are bad! I go from crying my eyes out one minute to mad at the world the next. It's terrible! Of course, I did not tell my dr. that I was going to stop taking Lexapro. They were more concerned with my high bp when I was there and put me on another medication for that. I'm also having anxiety attacks more often. I didn't have them when I was on Lexapro. It was like I really didn't care about anything and nothing really bothered me, sort of "out of it", I suppose. I have GAD and that's why the dr. put me on Lexapro about 4 years ago, 20 MG per day. I feel like I'm damned if I go off of it and damned if I don't!!

I'm just confused after reading this ........... it seems like the ONLY pro to coming off the anti-depressant is the weight loss. I would rather deal with the weight gain and feel good and able to go to the gym and eat healthy......I know everyone is different. OR maybe there is another anti-depressant out there that would work better.

I came off Celexa (I think that was the name, I'm currently on Cymbalta so I do get confused, lol) cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant so I know how ya feel.......I literally felt as if I had electrical shocks in my head!!!!! So scary.

If I were you, based on what you've written, I'd talk to the doctor about a different anti-depressant that doesn't cause weight gain.

If your blood pressure is high whether you are on or off an AD you should take a pill for blood pressure!

ALL THE BEST!

carloscipher is offline Junior Member

Default Lexapro: Differences, Switching, Alternatives

Sexual side effects are going to be there for most of these things. It's an unfortunate part of it.

I quit cold a few years back and had absolutely no side effects. But I was being treated for something else. I had the opposite happen which ended being even worse.

You may want to "mix-in" or switch. After being on so much of this sh-- I've learned that we are all so different. There is a reason why there is that massive side effects list. We metabolize differently, we have different receptors and affinity, and some of us have them malfunctioning like crazy. We have different psychological and physiological differences that create a variable soup that I don't think quan-tum computers could solve (today).

So bupropion is something that can be mixed in (or just separate) that strangely enough enhanced my "drive". It does do that for some people. ED can be be fixed other ways for males.

You could also try others. Doctors will say "oh they have the same side effects" but they are repeating what they read. Yes, they have high potential for the same side effects for most people, but that doesn't mean it will for you. Try some new ones. Give them 2-3 months.

Lexapro is by far the best AD for me, but I only take it during my severe depressive episodes, although it can trigger some serious mania, so I have to be careful.

Good luck; wish all is well.

spiralkim is offline New Member

Default Has anyone only taken Lexapro for a month, 5 mg. and quit Cold Turkey?

I hate Lexapro after only a month and want to quit cold turkey. I have only been on 5 mg. and don't want to taper off. I want to go back on St. John's Wart. Anyone have experience with cold turkey. So far I have heart palpitations and feel dingy/brain fuzz. Any help appreciated!

Shazzbah is offline New Member

I have been on Lexapro, 40mg (looks like we might have higher dosages in Australia) for @ 3 years. When I was on Cymbalta before that, my GP had me on such a low dose (30mg) that when I saw my psych about changing meds, he told me that dose would be doing nothing!! Which is why I wanted a change.. My GP gradually built me up to 40mg of Lexapro. But silly me, I’m thinking “I bet he has me on a low dose, AGAIN” so I upped it myself to 60. I have a few friends on Lexapro, all on 50mg. You can’t break a 20mg tablet in half, so I went straight to 60mg.

I stopped taking them, and Targin (strong pain med) at the same time on March 23rd. I had no ill effect off the targin (I don’t think) as the effects would have been immediate. (And my doc had just told me he now thinks I have adult attention deficit disorder-ADD, which would make sense, having no ill effect from stopping targin.. I think?!?).

But I’m this far in, without the Lexapro, and I am just so happy to have found this thread!!!

I have been having sleep paralysis, the past few days. Been waking up dizzy. I cry at the drop of a hat or simply get so mad, I have to lock myself away in my room, scared what might come out of my mouth. I never realised I had lost my libido, until it suddenly reappeared!! I was getting sudden, unbearable headaches, which I know put down to the drug.

My ‘withdrawals’ only began after @ two weeks of being off Lexapro. I thought it was all ‘just me’.. couldn’t understand the mood swings.

I had read (perhaps mistakenly) that people with ADD, often find that these anti-depressants don’t work at all!! I saw this as a chance to drop ALL my meds!! My doc talks a lot (which is what makes him such a great doctor, very informative) and I always forget to tell him everything that I’m seeing him for.. so he doesn’t know that I have stopped yet.. I’ll see him again in five days) I’m waiting to see a psych about this ADD (which we all think would make sense).

I was getting brain zaps, and a hell of a lot of brain fog, while on them (and Targin, so that can be confusing), which could also be the ADD. The targin withdrawals should be over by now, if think, so I can only put it down to the Lexapro, that two weeks later, I’m suddenly having these symptoms.

Now, I don’t get the headaches at least.

I don’t ever want to go back on them. Not if this is the outcome. So I’ll be talking to my psych about the best way to move in from here. Probably won’t get an appointment for a month or two, which is my only concern.

Being such an old thread, I really do hope others here, have managed to get past this road block.

I live in a house of 5 people, who I am the principal carer of. If I can’t get myself sorted soon, (housework has been impossible) we are not going to pass our house inspection and we could ALL be out on the street!! So the pressure on me is through the roof.. Probably not the best time to go off the meds, but hey, I was a bigger mess, mentally, before..

Hugs to everyone here..
    ForMe30 likes this.

Kittypaul is offline New Member

I was on lexapro for 8 days I had side effects the worst was I suddenly developed floaters in my right eye I am off the lexapro over two weeks now still don't feel right .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12