What is your favorite Benzo?
    JEP-IPMFOSIS is offline New Member

Default What is your favorite Benzo?

I have been in pain management for several years now. I am currently prescribed monthly, 120 200mg MS Contin taken 4 times a day and 120 5/325 Oxycodone as needed for breakthrough pain. As many of you know, taking this many opiates can cause you a bit of depression. My brother, who is also in pain management, takes Xanax and Klozopam to help with his anxiety. I have never taken any benzos of any kind, but I am considering it. So, with that being said, I was wondering, first is it safe to mix the Benzos with Opiates. And secondly, which one would be the best one for me to take as far as effectiveness with the depression and anxiety, and also which one will give the best "high". Obviously I am more concerned with treating my symptoms than getting high, but it would also be nice to feel good at the same time.
    Any comments will be appreciated.

JP

dktsaidhey is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JEP-IPMFOSIS View Post
    I have been in pain management for several years now. I am currently prescribed monthly, 120 200mg MS Contin taken 4 times a day and 120 5/325 Oxycodone as needed for breakthrough pain. As many of you know, taking this many opiates can cause you a bit of depression. My brother, who is also in pain management, takes Xanax and Klozopam to help with his anxiety. I have never taken any benzos of any kind, but I am considering it. So, with that being said, I was wondering, first is it safe to mix the Benzos with Opiates. And secondly, which one would be the best one for me to take as far as effectiveness with the depression and anxiety, and also which one will give the best "high". Obviously I am more concerned with treating my symptoms than getting high, but it would also be nice to feel good at the same time.
    Any comments will be appreciated.

JP
    It is never safe to mix opiates with benzos unless under strick medical supervision. Trying to get high off of benzos can be lethal and will not help your anxiety if you dont use them as RX. If you are drinking they will not help at all.

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

You'd be better off asking for Soma, get ready for a red flag and a sideways look if you ask for a benzo.

JEP-IPMFOSIS is offline New Member

It is never safe to mix opiates with benzos unless under strict medical supervision. Trying to get high off of benzos can be lethal and will not help your anxiety if you don't use them as RX. If you are drinking they will not help at all.
    Like I said, I am more concerned about feeling better than getting high. But I wouldn't object if that was one of the side effects.

You'd be better off asking for Soma, get ready for a red flag and a sideways look if you ask for a benzo.
    You think that would put up a red flag? My Doc has prescribed me 150mg Wellbutrin to help with depression, but that doesn't seem to help at all. Isn't Soma a muscle relaxer? You think that would help?

I would also like to eventually stop taking the opiates all together, but as of yet, I cannot find anything else that actually helps with my pain. (I have eight ruptured/collapsed disks in my lumbar region along with degenerative disk disorder) At one point, some time ago, I was getting epidurals every couple of months. That worked very well, but eventually those stopped working to.

dharri is offline New Member

Xanax, in my opinion, is the best and most effective medication for relief of anxiety. I'm not sure how it will interact with the opiates, but it'll keep you calm and cool.

sasquatch69 is offline Junior Member

Don't worry about asking your doc for benzos, it sounds like you have a legitimate concern. But docs will be strict about the reason for prescribing: specifically if you suffer from anxiety. But it wont hurt to ask, especially since Wellbutrin didnt help you.
    In my experience, Xanax is the strongest and most effective for anxiety, which I used to suffer from a lot. However, Xanax made me lethargic and sleepy, so I could never drive while taking it.
    Valium worked ok, without the sleepiness, and longer lasting, but without the fast working relief of Xanax.
    Some people like Klonopin too, for anxiety. Discuss these with your doctor, they are effective medications, and every Dr knows that. But they can be very habit forming, and your physician may be very reluctant to prescribe both an opiate together with a benzo.
    But in moderation, taking both together should not be a problem. I took xanax for anxiety and vicodin for pain from a car accident, at the same time. And it never caused a problem with me.
    Just ask your Dr and see what he/she has to say.

(BTW, there is no "best" benzo, reactions to these meds can vary greatly from person to person)

bilmo2008 is offline New Member

Default xanax and opiates

Hi. I wrote a very thoughtful post to you. but it was edited by der moderator.
    apparently, there are some words here that are verboten, yah? intersting...
    generally these are colorful metaphors of the variety normally unacceptable in a
    southern baptist prayer meeting. I used no such words and am therefor cornfused
    bythis editing. sorry about that. who's the mods here? are they user friendly?
    or do they like editing for some bizarre and cultish reason?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-31-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: because someone edited ME. I don't like it.