Xanax question...
    franksixer is offline New Member

Default Xanax question...

I hope im in the right forum im sorry if im not..SWIM is on a high dosage of Xanax (20+mg)mixed with Nyquil and Beer( 44 fl. oz. of Beer) (Almost a whole bottle of Nyquil) EVERY NIGHT....And SWIM feels He/She isnt FEELING A THING ANYMORE...no sedation...no high..SWIM has been on Xanax for over 8 years now and was wondering if there was a way to lower His/Her dosage and still sleep soundly with the same sedation or "high" effect .SWIM knows Xanax isnt a sleep aid but it is all it has ever worked for His/Her EXTREME INSOMNIA.....SWIM has been diagnosed with Depression, Insomnia, Slight Anxiety. Xanax is all that ever worked for SWIM and has been perscribed EVERY ANTI-DEPRESSANT AND/OR SLEEP AID...(And SWIM gained almost 100lbs. in the process, ASSHOLE DOCTORS DIDNT TELL HIM/HER ABOUT SIDE EFFECTS AND NOW CANT LOSE THE WEIGHT) Please keep that in mind when responding, anyone who can help SWIM with getting back to sleeping soundly on a regular dosage of Xanax...please reply...thank you

and im new here so hello!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Let us speak directly to SWIM if you don't mind, at least for me to participate. I write my own name down on my replies, I won't talk about SWIM. Nothing personal, but that is me. I don't know SWIM and need to know more about him/her prior to my providing the proper guidance. God bless.

sue13 is offline Member

Default resource...

Robert is the most valuable resource you are EVER going to encounter; please take heed of his post above. Thanks to him (and this site) I got off a very intense pain-killer addiction (very painlessly-pun inteneded!) because I corresponded and listened.

SWIM? Single White ? Mother? I have more acronyms at my disposal than most young kids, let alone a 64-year-old like myself... ? got me on that one...

There are so many of us in this "addicted" ship that I have all but dropped any "cloaking" device. Yup, my name is not Sue, but on a need-to-know basis lots of people know who I am and about my addiction(s), and means of recovery.

You can always 'PM" if it will help.

Wishing you and him/her a successful recovery and a better life,
    Sue

lenore00 is offline New Member

Are you seriouse?
    1. xanax is not used to help promote sleep. If you have problems with anxiety and sleeping than you should be on valium, it's chemical makeup is more similiar to that of muscle relaxor's
    2. While downing a bottle of nyquil sure seems like fun, your just going to kill your liver quick and maybe it's just me, but tripping usually doens't constitute any form of sleep.
    3. Alchol is actualy more of a stimulant, or else bar's wouldn't stay open till 4am. (NY)

I'd say more, but its obvious this 'SWIM' person is looking to just get high, and not have to take their whole script in a nite....

theoldhenoftn27 is offline New Member

I take xanax to sleep cuz I'm a paraplegic and really strong muscle spasms, It works for me better than anything else I have ever taken, valium helps ok but after a few days of taking them I become yucky and in a bad frame of mind. I also take ambien. I was taking xanaz ambien and gapepention (not sure of the correct spelling) It is for nerve pain but the mixture of these with ditropan I take for bladder spasms. all of this meds didn't mix well. I started falling out of my wheelchair out of the bed, fell out the shower, the bed and hit my head so many times. I was having wild dreams or thoughts even while awake. I am a very small framed women and was in good shape until I had several back operations to fuse spinal cord, the last one was real hard on me and I still live in chronic pain. I take hydro's 10/325 six times a day,. I stopped the gabepention and my balance is better as well as my vision I have better memory and don't feel like I'm in a fog, I have taken all kind of meds and the hydro's don't make the pain alot better but it will take the edge off. I've taken the longer or time released meds but they mess with my head, so I just try what works for me. I have taken hydro's for several years and they don't work as well as they did I just don't want to be on anything stronger cuz I need to be alert to get though my day. We all have different side effects and alot of time the meds work against each other and I will try taking myself off or change the time I take it.xanax helps my pain better than the hydro's but make me sleepy during daytime.I don't know if this will help anyone but we know how what our body is telling us if we listen to it. I am in pain mangement and wish I didn't have to take anything but I do so It makes my life better. I done the fentanl patches for a while and quit the cold tukey and it was awful but at least I can eat and not vomit, or be in the bed so much, on them my life didn't mean much at all being in a drug fog. I am a wife and mother and have my two dogs that make me laugh I don't want miss being with my family and my furry babies. Life will go on if we allow it too, after 35 yrs being cofined to a wheelchair it takes a toll on your body, I refuse to let the pain rob my life I will fight until I no longer can. I try to not use the word can't that gets you no where.!!!

glad2bfree is offline New Member

Default Another Effective Sleep Aid

Hello. When I had gone off opiates once a couple years ago, I was given Trazodone for sleep by the rehab doc. On 150mg an hour before bed. I go to bed when starting to feel it coming on since I get tired very fast and hard to go upstairs. Very effective! What's more is that I sleep well 7-8 hours then like a light switch, I wake up with no sluggishness at all. I have also tried Benadryl for sleep as I was given it after surgery. Also very effective BUT it left me uncomfortably tired all through the morning. Can't have that. I also take Xanax, .5mg 4 times a day. Helpful for anxiety. I know from research and doctor advice that it is not wise to abruptly stop a benzodiazapene as it can cause serious seizures especially in high doses. Perhaps talk to your doctor about slowly reducing Xanax and try inserting Trazodone for sleep. My dose of 150mg is on the higher side of a moderate dose. Much higher can cause negative sexual side effects in men. Not sure for women. I find that my doc has no problem prescribing Trazodone as it is used by rehab clinics. It also can positively effect anxiety. It REALLY does work, and I have a very high tolerance for medications as I've had many surgeries. Be well.

glad2bfree is offline New Member

Default Trazodone UPDATE!

Hello,

I change my position on Trazodone. I realize I was actually on 300mg at night for sleep which was effective but that is a ridiculous dose. No wonder the intimacy side effects and others. Also found out it can casue Seratonin Syndrome which can be life threatening with Cymbalta, Tramadol and others.
    I am fed up with being jerked around with these bizarre meds that I requested to be taken off immediately safely.
    Went from 300mg to 150 for a week or so and got tired of screwing around with this med so I just discontinued it during a hospital admit for an unrelated situation. Shingles and Staff. Nasty.
    I can say I felt I had a hot temper for several days but I knew that was the reason so I knew enough to keep my mouth shut as not to say anything I didn't mean.
    Once over that, I'm doing great. Cravings are not part of this after that initial freak show experience.
    While in the hospital for previous surgery, they gave me IV Benadryl and oral Benadryl for sleep of all things! It really does work and I could beathe nicely in the mornings.
    I want to sleep with no assistance but if you need something, perhaps this info may be something useful when talking with your physician.

lexus985 is offline New Member

Post Xanax

Xanax does help sleep, anxiety, panic attacks. If someone is taking Xanax for a long period of time, you have to actually "wean" yourself for possibly up to a year. The withdrawl symptoms are horrible. Have your Doctor prescribe you Klonopin 1mg for a few months & also a mood stabilizer. Phenergan may help you sleep and not feel so sick. I feel that the number one side effect of benzo's is "weight gain" & I feel it should be listed. It can take years to recover from Xanax addiction. It is worse than a person coming off of >>>>>>. Good Luck..