Xanax - Tolerance
    Amsterkam is offline New Member

Default Xanax - Tolerance

I am prescribed 1 mg of xanax 3 times daily. I have been taking it for 3 months and pretty much built up a tolerance to it. How long does it take for xanax tolerance to generally build up? How long would it take me to lower my tolerance if I took 1mg for some time? Thanks in advance. Any comments are useful.

Amsterkam is offline New Member

......bump?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I am not sure you will see this Amskerkam, but I will try to reply to your problem. Xanax has a very short half life. It takes no time at all to build up tolerance. Xanax is also the worst drug to try to come off of and should only be prescribed for short term use. Benzo drugs are nothing to fool around with, period. Xanax is the worst, though some Dr. try to tell patients that it is non-addicting, that it is a mild anti-anxiety drug, this just is not true. If you are building up a tolerance that fast, I would go to my Dr. and let him know. For your thyroid condition (my sister has a similar condition) you need to get stabilized on some type of medication for that. Hypothyroid actually can cause anxiety. My sister was a mess and they had her on a mess of drugs before she finally becamse stable on her thyroid medicine. That's why you should get that under control with thyroid meds first. Any benzo drug should only be used for a short time. See what your dr. has to say about reducing your anxiety. There are other methods to control anxiety: meditation, excercise, therapy. Anxiety from your thyroid can be overcome with the medications for that condition. You do not want to become addicted or dependent on a any Benzo type drug.

IloeRose