Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By disabledleo
Blood Pressure going crazy - WHY?
    disabledleo is offline Member

Default Blood Pressure going crazy - WHY?

Hello I am 38yrs old male 6' 240lbs completely disabled / retired back condition. I am taking Norco 10/325 4x's a day & MS Contin 15mgs 2x's a day... Recently I have been feeling terrible & ended up going to my PCP & BP was 137/79 had severe case of strep. Went back a week later not feeling any better BP was 189/97 & blood work showed strep & mono. Went in a week later BP was back down to 130/80 - now daily I start feeling bad & go in & have BP taken & its jumping from the 130/80 range up to todays @ 198/125 & then drops again back down after an hour or so.
    This is driving me crazy & I am concerned because family history is full of heart disease & diabetics. My pharmacist is monitoring my BP now & we are watching my weight because I have started retaining fluids up & down also.

Can anyone explain what could cause my BP to be jumping around... Can it be the morphine?? I haven't been on it long & think it all started around the time I started being scripted it.

Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by disabledleo View Post
    Hello I am 38yrs old male 6' 240lbs completely disabled / retired back condition. I am taking Norco 10/325 4x's a day & MS Contin 15mgs 2x's a day... Recently I have been feeling terrible & ended up going to my PCP & BP was 137/79 had severe case of strep. Went back a week later not feeling any better BP was 189/97 & blood work showed strep & mono. Went in a week later BP was back down to 130/80 - now daily I start feeling bad & go in & have BP taken & its jumping from the 130/80 range up to todays @ 198/125 & then drops again back down after an hour or so.
    This is driving me crazy & I am concerned because family history is full of heart disease & diabetics. My pharmacist is monitoring my BP now & we are watching my weight because I have started retaining fluids up & down also.

Can anyone explain what could cause my BP to be jumping around... Can it be the morphine?? I haven't been on it long & think it all started around the time I started being scripted it.

Leo,

Your post sounds like your pressure high of 198/125 was a one-time thing. That is kind of high, but it can spike that high and not be serious. Your pain meds can cause it to go up if you are abusing them. Are you??? If not, then they won't cause that.

I have had HIGH blood pressure for over 20 years. It's been 225-240/150 plus numerous times. Just want you to know I have been where you are. What I found was that when it started scaring me, and I started checking it all the time, I was stressing out over it and making it go up myself.

Some advice ... STOP CHECKING IT ALL THE TIME. You are making it spike yourself most likely. You should check it in the morning, then you get a good resting blood pressure and heart rate reading. Then you should check it in the evening when you are relaxed. Both the bottom and top numbers can vary by 10 points or more easily during the day. Top number can vary a bunch depending on your level of anxiety. Don't check it all day long and then freak out. You are scaring yourself into making it higher I think. I'm not a dr, but been doing this a long time. Good luck.

Default Thanx for the reply

Robert - NO I only take my meds per dr's orders. I do not abuse them at all only wish they took pain away. I guess I am blessed in the fact no matter what I take it does nothing for me as far as getting "high" off them. I only take what I need to get thru each day & maybe a couple hours sleep @ night. As for me worrying about my BP yes I am because I have been noticing my face becoming flush & very hot at times. Like hot flashes & ears turning blood red. I felt this strange flutter in my chest after a deep breath the other day & that is why I went to pharmacy & asked about it. The head Pharmacist is the 1 that said check it everyday to monitor it to make sure its consistantly high before going to a doctor about it. I had it taken yesterday when I was feeling fine & it was 130/73 & just a few minutes ago w/ red face & blood ears & it was 194/127 so something is going on. Is it me making my face turn red & ears start throbbing?? I don't think so because I could be laying in bed when it hits or driving down the road worrying about nothing.
    Today I have a horrible head ache that doesn't want to leave. Not enough I've had multible back surgeries & live in terrible pain now this. Isn't life GREAT!!!!! Ha Ha
    Hope you have a great day.
    Disabledleo = Disabled Law Enforcement Officer
    My name is Michael

Mike,

Ok ... today's pressure is pretty high again. That will definitely give you a headache, a bad one and a flushed face that looks like an apple. What BP medication have they given you? I know all of them. What are you taking?

Default BP meds

I haven't been to the dr for this yet. I have just been going in to the pharmacy & they've been taking it for me to keep a record of it. They said if its up & stays up then I will need meds but if it jumps like it has been meds wont help & can actually hurt dropping my bp too low when its in the lower ranges. I have also blown up like a balloon w/ what I am guessing water. I have been drinking ALOT of soda for the past year & have gone 2 days w/out any now. I wanted to see if that could be causing me a lot of these problems. I've gained 50 pounds in the last year since all this started being noticible. But there have been other things causing me trouble / had wrist surgery 4 weeks ago & its causing me a lot of pain as well. Have to see that surgeon today because I'm in more pain w/ it now than BEFORE surgery so we'll see what he has to say.
    I appreciate you replying just wish I could figure this out. & YES red face like an apple & head ache that you can see my temples pounding in the mirror.
    Thanks again

Mike,

I would suggest you talk to your dr about this immediately. First, they can give you a diaretic that will help get rid of some of the fluids you have retained. Second, they can give you low dose time-released BP medications that won't affect your spiking. You aren't the first person this has happened to. Your dr should know what to give you so that it doesn't affect you adversely when your pressure drops.

Your pharmacist is not a dr, nor am I. But I have had similar symptoms to you. You are having spikes that need to be addressed. Regardless of what you have been told, the dr can deal with this. Talk to the dr ... share all of your symptoms with him/her. I guarantee you the dr will want to know about this and they can help you. Good luck.

And the soda is the worst thing you can drink. Stop it immediately. DRINK WATER.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-24-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Robert I will get into see a doctor. Thanx
    I have another ? for you..... I just went out & cut my grass w/ push mower & I feel horrible = light headed , dizzy , weak , clammy & just feel like laying down in bed & going to sleep. Now I was only out there for a short time 30 minutes @ the most. Is this another sign of BP problems?? I have always been in great shape & played some pro ball after a full ride to play @ the college of choice. So I have always been in great shape so being unable to take the 30 minutes to cut my grasss is way out of character for me. My fingers don't even want to work to type this,..

Quote Originally Posted by disabledleo View Post
    Robert I will get into see a doctor. Thanx
    I have another ? for you..... I just went out & cut my grass w/ push mower & I feel horrible = light headed , dizzy , weak , clammy & just feel like laying down in bed & going to sleep. Now I was only out there for a short time 30 minutes @ the most. Is this another sign of BP problems?? I have always been in great shape & played some pro ball after a full ride to play @ the college of choice. So I have always been in great shape so being unable to take the 30 minutes to cut my grasss is way out of character for me. My fingers don't even want to work to type this,..

Mike,

HBP affects us all kinds of ways. If you have HBP you can get dizzy and litterally fall down just standing too quickly. I played competitive racquetball for over 20 years. Never quite made it pro, but was good enough, just had some injuries and health problems that kept me from getting quite there. So I know what you mean about being in shape and not thinking you should get sick.

HBP is normally a result of circulation problems. That is the reason for the problem with the fingers. Our extremities are typically affected first ... fingers, toes, even ears and nose being cold. You are having classic symptoms ... nothing extraordinary. But they need to be addressed. Get to your dr and share it all with him.

Don't be alarmed if they give you a blood pressure medication and also prescribe Plavix for the circulation too. Lots of your blood pressure meds will dilate your blood vessels so the blood gets through more easily, and the Plavix helps to thin the blood some to aid in that process. It's stronger than aspirin. So if they don't use Plavix for you, they will almost certainly tell you to start taking aspiring daily. Don't take both or you will probably have stomach bleeding problems. Everything you described can be handled without incident if you follow instructions. Good luck.

sjw
    sjw is offline New Member

just wanted to sneek in here. this high BP meds dont help my sex drive is there anything I can do ? not used to this

Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    just wanted to sneek in here. this high BP meds dont help my sex drive is there anything I can do ? not used to this

I posted about your medications on your other thread that you started. I would change from the Beta Blocker you are taking as I discuss on the other location. Check it out.

Default Hey Robert

Just thought I'd give an update on my crazy BP readings lately.... I quit the soda & started watching what I eat & have actually dropped 9 pounds. W/ out all the soda / caffeine I've even been getting some quality sleep so thats an improvement for sure. Now all I have to do is stop all the back & leg pain & I'd sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time. Ha Ha
    But dropped the weight & the #'s have dropped too & have stayed down. I've gotten the 197/129 #'s down to 131/78 & its staying put right around there w/ no spikes.
    Its amazing because I really didn't feel that horrible then or I thought anyway. I do feel a lot better now.
    I've gone thru full blown OC w/draws after high dose for years /cold turkey - have gone thru a lifetime of drinking & cold turkey w/draws w/ many other problems along the way but have to say the sugar - caffeine - salt cravings are at the top of the HELL I've been thru. I am done w/ it now thou & wanted to THANK YOU
    1okpony likes this.

Michael,
    That is good news. You know our bodies have a way of telling us when we are messing up. You are very fortunate that you found the problem quickly so you could act on it and get good results. You lose what weight you need to and stay healthy and you will probably not even have to take HBP meds for life. Your BP is good now. That is probably with your medication but again, if you do right, you will probably be able to stop it. Drs don't usually tell us to do that ... they say take it forever most always. I think they get carried away writing prescriptions sometimes personally when we can make it without them. Congratulations.

Default Never got meds

Thanks // I actually didn't go see a doctor for this. So I never had a script for the HBP --- but was only going to give it another few days & would have gotten in to see one. I dropped a bunch of the weight right away after feeling sick for days not getting the sugar-caffeine my body was use to & I imagine it was all water weight like we talked about. Once I started feeling better the #'s dropped & stayed down so far. I really wanted to try what I could w/out any meds.... I'm "SICK" of taking pills.
    Again THANX

Shane73 is offline New Member

I am really glad you posted this forum. I have been having a lot of the same symptoms as you. I am on high blood pressure meds, and a water pill. My back is also really messed up and I'm on meds for that. My BP has been bouncing up and down for maybe a year and I wasn't sure what was happening. I would think on it constantly and freak myself out. I would think I was gonna die and even wondered if I was being poisoned or something. I'm 41 years old and I'm hoping to have at least 20 more years, more if god allows. I've been really scared lately...it has been all I can think about. And was taking my blood pressure 4-5 times a day and scaring myself with my own thought of death. After reading this whole forum I feel a lot better. the highest my blood pressure has been is like 140 over 100. I drink a lot of cokes and coffee, and smoke sometimes 1-1 1/2 packs of cigarettes. My blood pressure has never been like Leo's 225 over 150. I would freak out if it got that high. Just wanted to say thanks. This forum has helped me calm down. I was really getting scared that I was gonna die.