Buspirone
    angel9289 is offline New Member

Default Buspirone

I am new here, and was on Klonopin, due to loss of insurance, dr put me on buspirone, wonder if anyone could tell me how long it generally takes to start working! Am on 20 mg per day of Buspirone, but just started it.
    Was taking 2 mg klonopin per day for 5 yrs, and it worked great, but can't afford it anymore without insurance.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

It takes a while, probably a little longer for you, coming off five years on klonopin. In comparison to klonopin you won't feel much. Buspirone is not a benzo like klonopin which I'm glad you're getting off the klonopin. But this transition won't be quick. God bless.

Default robert_325

Thank you for your input, thats what I was afraid of! I thought Buspirone was an SSRI like klonopin, but having to take double dosage during day and it is not long lasting like the klonopin.
    Do you know of anything that is brand name but not generic that I might get assistance for?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by angel9289 View Post
    Thank you for your input, thats what I was afraid of! I thought Buspirone was an SSRI like klonopin, but having to take double dosage during day and it is not long lasting like the klonopin.
    Do you know of anything that is brand name but not generic that I might get assistance for?

Klonopin is not an SSRI, it's a benzo. Honestly after five years taking 2mg of klonopin a day I personally doubt you'll ever feel buspirone even though I agree you need to get off that nasty klonopin.

I suggest you go to www.benzo.org.uk and read Dr Helen Ashton's manual about benzo detox. There is a right way to detox off the benzos properly and this is it. I can help you if you really want to do it. But it takes focus and some time. Think about it, I'm ready when you are. God bless.

Default robert_325 buspirone

Thank you for your reply. Does not sound encouraging at all for me, since my problem is financial and cannot detox with other meds. Thank you for sending me the link. Blessings.

Anonymous Guest

go to a search engine and type in discount prescription card, you will find a couple of great sites that are free to use. they will give you a discount card to use at your pharmacy and it can take up to 70% off your prescription price. It should help a lot! I'm on buspar and have been on it for almost a month now. It's not working at all for me. I think it's like a sugar pill for me or something. Everyone is different. For some, it works great!! I've been told on here it usually takes 2-4 wks to kick in. Good luck!

Default Bradsgirl26

Thanks for the info. I have tried the search engines, if you know of a particular good prescription card site let me know please! Buspirone works a little but not for a long time. I really need a a benzo type which is what I was on before. I think Busp. works for people that have never been on anything else.
    Thanks again! Good Luck to you.

riyak is offline New Member

You can really try to search google for that, it will help you a lot, and as I am an physician I can prefer that ! Well also, I agree with Robert_325, that's also a great comment !

Default can take 6 weeks

Buspar can take up to 6 full weeks before it starts working, and it does not work for everyone. I have Panic Disorder and have to take a benzo. from time to time to help me along. U were on Klonopin for a long time and really needed a taper. Every benzo. needs tapering, esp. if u are on it for extended periods of time otherwise u will go through withdrawal. I know this is an older post, and I hope by now your meds are straightened out and are helping u. God Bless

spot1234 is offline New Member

Help I have been taking klonopin for 3 years everytime I took an antidepressant I got more anxiety and ended up on more klonopin. Ive tried weaning .125 at a time and I go into severe panic and anxiety attacks with severe pain head nrck back I went 8 dsys on cut and. Couldnt handle yhe pain. Does buspar hrlp with w ithdrawl or is my anxirty that bad im ts king 2.5 mg still dorsnt stop anxiety and panic help

annebubbles is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Klonopin is not an SSRI, it's a benzo. Honestly after five years taking 2mg of klonopin a day I personally doubt you'll ever feel buspirone even though I agree you need to get off that nasty klonopin.

I suggest you go to www.benzo.org.uk and read Dr Helen Ashton's manual about benzo detox. There is a right way to detox off the benzos properly and this is it. I can help you if you really want to do it. But it takes focus and some time. Think about it, I'm ready when you are. God bless.
    I'm on Clonazepam name brand Klonopin and have tried weaning off this nasty med and ended up at the hospital with severe panic and depression. They said to start taking it again and I hate it. What can I do. No one to help me. My Dr put me on effexor XR and Buspar but I want to get this nasty Benzo out of my system!!! Tried skipping doses, breaking it down into smaller doses slowly Cold Turkey! Help if you can. God Bless

Reply to Robert_325: I'm on Clonazepam name brand Klonopin and have tried weaning off this nasty med and ended up at the hospital with severe panic and depression. They said to start taking it again and I hate it. What can I do. No one to help me. My Dr put me on effexor XR and Buspar but I want to get this nasty Benzo out of my system!!! Tried skipping doses, breaking it down into smaller doses slowly Cold Turkey! Help if you can. God Bless

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello annebubbles welcome to the forum. You should start your own thread here and give us alittle background history how much and how many mg you are taking. You should never coldturkey off benzos it's very dangerous. Start a thread so we are able to help support you moving forward.
    again welcome.

I'm New to this and don't know how to start my own thread. Is it simple enough that you can talk me through the steps? Thank you for responding. God Bless

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello annebubbles if you go to the need to talk found at the top there's a +post new thread at the top. I hope this helps it will be easier for us here to find you and give you Support.