Caffeine and Epilepsy
    Anonymous Guest

Question Caffeine and Epilepsy

Hello All,

I would like to know what effects caffeine has on epilepsy...I did some research but all to no avail

I'd greatly appreciate some answers...

Thank you!
    Feda

phey is offline New Member

I've search in the google that coffee with caffeine looks innocent, but it can be deadly to the epileptic. When I was younger, I came close to having a grand mal seizure on several occasions drinking coffee with caffeine. Caffeine is a psychoactive drug that stimulates the central nervous system. Caffeine binds with receptors in the brain, arterial walls, and other cells within in the brain; the drug reduces blood flow, can give you anxiety, jitters and headaches. In addition, caffeine affects the normal sleep-wake cycle.

All these factors affect the epileptic to one degree or another—which is very bad! As an epileptic you do not need an additional drug in your body affecting your brain; when your anti-seizure medication is trying to keep your mind from convulsing.

Coffee with caffeine has 115 mgs of caffeine per drink, and energy drinks has between 80mgs to 160 mgs of caffeine in a single drink. I believe both of these drinks should be avoided at all costs.

cez6 is offline New Member

Thanks for sharing it Phey, Coffee with caffeine has 115 mgs of caffeine per drink, and energy drinks has between 80mgs to 160 mgs of caffeine in a single drink it's true. So it's very delicate?