Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
"Coming off Methadone......"
    intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default coming off methadone

summertime4me, I just got off of methadone on May 2, 2009 so I might be able to help. Robert is the one to talk to about Suboxone/Subutex tapering, although I to have lots of experience with subs. I will let Robert handle this, but am willing to assist in any way I could. Instead of me typing my whole story here, as it is rather long, why don't you locate my thread " Intelmetals Own Thread ", it is on the " Need to Talk " forum. I am sure you will find lots of helpful info there. Also talk to Bev49, she has extensive experience with methadone and suboxone. She is very supportive and always keeps things positive. Very nice person too !
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !

bev49 is offline Banned

Dear Summertime,

I might have gone alone with the "almost no one gets off methadone" line prior to suboxone/subutex but I definitely don't feel that way now. Intel is one prime example of someone on high dose methadone for a long time who is totally opiate free now. I am ALMOST another example. My history is very long. I was a >>>>>> addict who switched to methadone many years ago. I was never encouraged to get off and I never asked so I stayed on. Once I heard about sub I decided to make the switch which I did. Because of my lengthy history and age, I am taking it kind of slow, slower than the norm, but I am down to .75 - .80 mgs. sub a day which is a major accomplishment for someone on methadone for over 30 years. It's good that your daughter is down to 30 mgs. methadone. That will help her with the switchover. Just follow Robert's advice and, just like Intel, she can be opiate free within a few months. She has an extra special new reason to do it. It can be done and I wish you the best. You're a good grandma/ma.

bev49 is offline Banned

Another thing, and this is just a guess, of course, but I've really never heard of it taking 4 to 5 days to reach the stage of withdrawal you need to be in. I had been on methadone as I said, over 30 years, never missing a day, on 25 mgs. the last few years. I took my final dose Friday 9 a.m., felt fine all day saturday, no w/d, felt fine half of sunday, started to feel bad sunday evening and woke up 3 a.m. monday a.m. feeling like death warmed over. I had my appt. monday 9 a.m. and was at the right spot on the COWS and got inducted in within 20 mins I was perfectly fine, not high, not sick, just great. I would say i was ready at about the 62-64 hour mark..... Don't pre worry about how long it takes. It will take however long it takes but from my experience, 72 hours is the magic number.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Intelmetal ... I have respect for your knowledge about methadone tapers and the success you've had with subs. But you don't need to "let me handle" anything.

When someone posts to me and I invest my time with replies kindly allow me the courtesy to finish what I started or else you handle it and I'll back off. I am too busy here to make suggestions in committee. I've worked with lots of people transitioning from methadone to suboxone successfully. I can handle it and was doing it long before lots of the current methadone users got here.

I don't want to have a conflict about this. But either you make a plan for these people or else let me do it. I am way too busy to have numerous people designing a plan that will ultimately confuse the person and take up too much of my time. If you decide to be the methadone man on the forum you need to be available 24/7. It's up to you, I'm not being argumentative, but I'm too busy for any competitions for giving advice.

Have a great day. God bless.

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default coming off methadone...

Robert, I don't know what to say...............I am totally confused. I did not think I was doing anything other than giving this person the opportunity to speak with several people about defeating this awful drug. I had no intention of giving them a taper plan for meth or subs, just wanted to lend a hand....to let this person know that it is possible, and that others have had sucess with this. Heck, most of the time I even say " thanks to Robert, I' m clean ". I am not trying to compete with you, that would be impossible. You have helped so many more people than I, and I'm sure you will continue to help people. I am very busy also and am trying to give back, not expecting anything in return, just like you. You have given so much of yourself to total strangers and I always admired you for that. I just do not understand the tone used in the last post, it is somewhat hurtful to read. I will back off and let you do your thing, after all, you are the best at it.
    summertime4me, I apologize for interfering with your post to Robert. You are in good hands with him.
    I will follow your thread in silence and wish you the best of luck.
    IGOTOUT

I'll live my life and I am free !

Quote Originally Posted by intelmetal View Post
    Robert, I don't know what to say...............I am totally confused. I did not think I was doing anything other than giving this person the opportunity to speak with several people about defeating this awful drug. I had no intention of giving them a taper plan for meth or subs, just wanted to lend a hand....to let this person know that it is possible, and that others have had sucess with this. Heck, most of the time I even say " thanks to Robert, I' m clean ". I am not trying to compete with you, that would be impossible. You have helped so many more people than I, and I'm sure you will continue to help people. I am very busy also and am trying to give back, not expecting anything in return, just like you. You have given so much of yourself to total strangers and I always admired you for that. I just do not understand the tone used in the last post, it is somewhat hurtful to read. I will back off and let you do your thing, after all, you are the best at it.
    summertime4me, I apologize for interfering with your post to Robert. You are in good hands with him.
    I will follow your thread in silence and wish you the best of luck.
    IGOTOUT

I'll live my life and I am free !

I don't want there to be any problems between any of us on this forum. Can't work like that. So the best thing to do when there is a question is to address it and get it over with. I also want to point out that once matters are handled I never hold a grudge. I don't have one now either. Please know that I'm not mad about anything and I hope the feeling is mutual.

My thing was that a poster wrote a specific post and question directed to ME. I quit counting how many posts are addressed to me each day some time ago. I get close to 50 posts minimum a day plus personal emails. But when I take the time to answer a post I don't need another person coming in saying that they have the same info the person needs as well but they will "let me handle it" as if deciding who is handling something was your place to do.

Answer any posts you like. We need all the help we can get. This is an open forum. I got a little defensive I suppose when someone says they are going to allow me to do something as if I needed persmission to reply to a post. That was the way it came off to me right or wrong.

No one on this forum is over anything. I am not "over" subs nor is anyone else "over" methadone. I just ask that when I am in the middle of advising members to please allow me to do the advising. When you are working with someone I will extend the same courtesy to you. Very simple and no hard feelings. God bless.

summertime4me is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I will be more than happy to help your daughter. I'm especially excited knowing it will help her little baby get her momma back. Coming off methadone it normally takes approximately 72 hours before reaching a 26 score on the COWS worksheet for the suboxone induction process to begin properly. It may be 60 hours, it may be 48 hours, but the important factor is her reaching a 26 on the COWS worksheet. That's what matters. We can not use a calender. She will be ready when she's ready. That's the most honest answer I can give you.

I usually talk about 72 hours as that is how long it normally takes, but other than that the 72 hour figure means nothing to me. I would love to help turn a new mom's life around so she can be all that baby needs for a prosperous and loving life.

Let me know when she takes her last dose of methadone and we will make plans accordingly. All I ask is that she be naive enough to follow instructions. If she will follow my advice I give you my word we'll get her clean totally. I do this every single day.

Let me know when you guys are ready. You're all in my prayers. God bless.
    Thank you, Robert! I noticed that you have a great deal on your plate at the moment with your fiance's botched surgery and transition to subs, as well as all the other people you help on this site. We thank you for taking us under your wing. We are aiming for Wednesday, Aug. 19th as the date of the last dose of methadone. But that is not a firm date due to work obligations. We will stay in touch with you and all the kind folks who have so graciously shared their personal stories and suggestions with us and others. We are very encouraged by their successes and enthusiasm! We are grateful to you all!

One more thing - the time on this forum must be Greenwich Mean Time or something. It is no where near the correct time here on the west coast of North America. If you are in Houston, Robert, then we must be 2 hours behind you.

Thanks to all again!

Quote Originally Posted by summertime4me View Post
    Thank you, Robert! I noticed that you have a great deal on your plate at the moment with your fiance's botched surgery and transition to subs, as well as all the other people you help on this site. We thank you for taking us under your wing. We are aiming for Wednesday, Aug. 19th as the date of the last dose of methadone. But that is not a firm date due to work obligations. We will stay in touch with you and all the kind folks who have so graciously shared their personal stories and suggestions with us and others. We are very encouraged by their successes and enthusiasm! We are grateful to you all!

One more thing - the time on this forum must be Greenwich Mean Time or something. It is no where near the correct time here on the west coast of North America. If you are in Houston, Robert, then we must be 2 hours behind you.

Thanks to all again!

You and your precious little one will find how lucky you are to have found Robert. He knows his stuff, is a straight-shooter, and if you do what you're told - you'll walk right out of this Hell you're in.

One little secret or piece of advice (don't tell him I told you this): I may be wrong, but I think Robert is partial to children - the innocent ones in this that didn't ask for any of it but got plunked in the middle of it anyway. So, in my opinion, if you follow instructions, it'll be especially crucial to Robert in terms of getting you clean. Because to him, its not just you as an individual, but you as your "little baby's mama". And its about that little baby.

Praying for you.

Christi .... everyone thinks I'm a hard-ass. You weren't supposed to tell anyone that I'm a sucker for children. If I can do anything to change a child's life I'm in.

summertime ..... just let me know when you're ready. I'll be here ready to help you and your baby.

And I'm on the West Coast too. I'm in Seattle. You have to set your time in your profile for it to come out right. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-17-2009 at 05:17 AM.

summertime4me is offline Member

Dear Bev and Intermetal,

I am so sorry that my initial post to "Robert and All" for help has caused you two so much needless pain and hurt on several threads here. I asked for your help and you gave it as did, Robert. I thank you all for your help, but I will not take part in a forum that allows one poster to verbally bully another. Robert has helped many people, including you two and I, in no way, want to disparage that. But, Robert, you are way out of line in your hostile, controlling and belittling responses to these two people. Sleeplessness, illness, a move, a finance's illness and everything else are all life stressors, but they are no excuse for such rude and uncalled for behavior. They did not deserve the online whipping they received from your gradiose, hostile posts in this site that belongs to all who register and read here.

Others may be afraid of your belligerence, but bullies have never scared me. I just wonder how many others, new and unregistered here, have been and will be put off from using this site to seek recovery, after reading your posts. What a shame!

We will continue using the real and valuable tools you have provided here, Robert. We thank you for that and our family sends our best wishes to all for all the good and beautiful things life has to offer everyone.

When you post enough times someone is going to get their feelings hurt. That is a fact. There is NO way I can make everyone happy. It's impossible.

Do you have any idea how many times I've been slammed on here? I've listened to a lot of garbage over the years. If one of my conversations turns you off that much I can only say that was not my intention and apologize for that.

I'm sorry to say it's your loss by leaving over such nonsense but God bless you. We're here if you re-think this and realize what a mistake you are making. It's amazing how addicts let things get so blown out of proportion. God bless.

Your line mocking me for having problems of my own at the time are out of line by the way. It's amazing that certain people's issues are so irrelevant to you. My family's illnesses are much more important to me than you now that I've thought more about it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-20-2009 at 05:24 PM.

ew04 is offline New Member

Default Methadone Clinic >> Oxycontin-Please Help

My boyfriend was addicted to Oxy for about 6 months before detoxing and completing a 1-month in-treatment rehab program. He relapsed and started using Oxy again a couple months later. He used for about a month, then started going to a methadone clinic to replace his habit. He has been going there for about a month and a half and I believe is on 55 mg or so.

My concern is that he is not dealing with his addiction. He is simply replacing one drug with another. He says he is using methadone b/c it's all he can do right now to put his life together. He is amazing at practicing avoidance, and I think that is what methadone is helping him do.

I am trying to convince him to begin tapering off methadone in a couple months after he finds a job and feels more confident. I know and he knows it would be very gradual. He says he will try, but I highly doubt he means it. He says he'll get off when he's ready to not want to do drugs anymore. But if he never does anything more than go to the methadone clinic, how will he ever be ready? He says rehab didn't work for him and narcotics anonymous is not for him either. How will he ever NOT want drugs?

He says the people at the methadone clinic said being on methadone for a year is the best idea. Has anyone heard of that? I think it's BS and they just want his money.

I am desperate for him to be clean. I miss him so much. He thinks he is totally normal on methadone and I disagree. He lost his job b/c he slept late one day. He sleeps all day and can't sleep at night. He is always sweating. He seems to have muscle spasms, too. He has thrown up b/c of the methadone. Who knows what other side effects he feels that he hides from me.

I know he must come to a conclusion on his own, but he is killing me and his family in the process. I'm terrified.

Can I do anything to help? Can people offer him any advice on how to get off methadone or their experiences with it? I think the longer he is on it, the worse off he is.

He tells me he is getting better, tries to convince me this is his path to sobriety. His mom and I feel in our hearts it is not.

Please, any advice for me or my boyfriend is greatly needed and would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous Guest

Default Hi there!

Back in 2001, I was on 120mgs per day of Methadone. It probably took me a year and a half to taper. Mind you, i will say, i was not on for pain management.

Honestly, it's not until you hit 25-30mgs a day that you start feeling the reductions. Well for me anyway. And the withdrawals are so mild, they're easy to deal with.

When I got t o 30 (or maybe 35mgs) I changed over to Subutex. That time (I had no trouble - see my thread 20mgs to 4mg Suboxone, well the bits that haven't been deleted anyway)

I spent another probably year tapering off that, got off it and stayed successsfully clean for 5 years.

Unfortunately, this year, our lovely Prime Minister decided to give everyone a bit of money to spend to save our country from recession. It actually worked. But $4000 in my bank account in one week? Up my arm she went. So that was 4 months ago. About a fortnight I tried to change to Suboxone, but failed. (Robert is an EXPERT on this!) But the preticipated withdrawals were so bad that I just thought I would stick it out. I'm at day 8 today. My legs hurt badly, i'm having bad insomnia and it feels like all day i lick and have to swallow aluminium.

I would definately advocate to taper. Be patient. 5 years clean. It's a long time.

Good Luck sir,
    and let us know how you're going <3
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-19-2009 at 08:52 PM.

bev49 is offline Banned

Default Big mistake, going on methadone

You b/f relapsed for approximately one month and then got on methadone?? I can't state in strong terms what a bad idea I think that is. Methadone is a long term replacement therapy. I was on methadone for a very long time after a >>>>>> habit of 10 years duration. Most of the people on the program with me were also on for very long periods of time. I mean years and years. When I first got on a methadone program they didn't allow anyone on the program unless you could prove addiction to IV >>>>>>. That was probably a good idea. Methadone is heavy duty and long term. A short term pill user is really taking a step deeper into addiction by getting on methadone. Perhaps if he did a meth taper I could see that which would be a maximum of 6 months, raised up to about 60 mgs. then brought back down during the last 4 months. But methadone maintenance? Nope. The problem seems to be that he wants to be on methadone and has no desire to taper or detox. He probably likes how it makes him feel. If this is the case; if he rejects your help, there is nothing you can do. He has to want to change or stop. I transitioned from methadone to subutex by the way. You don't get high, just feel normal, and you can taper in months. That might work for him if he wants it.

Default ew04

Lots of us on this forum have been around all kinds of drugs for many years. Bev and I have both used for several decades. I'm not bragging in any way, I'm simply trying to make a point. In all my years around opiate abuse I have to say that using methadone for treating a pill addiction is like shooting a fly with a shotgun.

In short I couldn't possibly agree more than I do with bev. She is absolutely 100% correct. Methadone is a total overkill in this situation. It's a great medication for treating someone requiring it for life or for many, many years. But it's a last resort type of medication. Methadone is most certainly NOT for a person who has relapsed on pills for a couple months. I would never recommend that type of therapy.

He has to make up his mind that he really wants to get clean, then there are several options available for him that offer viable solutions. But my best advice would be that methadone should NOT be included in those choices. It's just not what's best for him and I think you have every reason to be concerned over all this. You are absolutely right that the longer he continues this the harder it will be for him to stop. Methadone detox is awful.

This is his life but do everything in your power to convince him of the gravity of his decision. This could affect him for the rest of his life. Is there any way that he would get on this forum and talk himself with us? I will keep you guys in my prayers. Let us know if we can help as you guys move forward in his recovery. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-19-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Default Mmmm

I don't want to cause trouble, and I certainly don't want to get on anyone's bad side. But Oxy is an opiate, is it not? For all we know he's removing the wax and injecting.

What are you guys advocating for an oxy addiction????

bev49 is offline Banned

oz, yes, oxy is an opiate but read the post. He took oxy for 6 months, went to rehab for 1 month and then relapsed for 1 month. I think methadone is great in certain situations, its was a life saver to me, but a pill habits of a few month duration? No way is methadone the first line of defense, or even the 3rd. In NY when I started meth, you couldnt even get on a program unless you were an IV >>>>>> user, because in most cases, you will be on meth for years... Ask Kiwi too, ask Intel.... For this particular guy, whose been on opiates less then a year, Robert said it right: its like shooting a fly with a shotgun.

Ozzy, please don't criticize another poster. We've been through days of ugliness that got out of hand and almost ruined everything. If you don't like what someone says, the best thing to do is just don't post to them. I think the new rule of thumb is no more insults.

I will certainly try to get him on here. I think he genuinely wants to be clean, he is just not going about it the right way. He says he will try to begin tapering in a couple months, but I don't think he beleives he can. Maybe you guys can help.

Thank you.

Anonymous Guest

Default Mmmm

What are you advocating for an oxy addiction. A month is a fair amount of time taken daily, also if they're being injected (maybe the pills aren't the same in the US, but they're quite easy to inject here) I don't understand????

I quite understand that the standards in the US are so much different that here, hell they tried to put me on methadone for a benzo addiction.....

What should he do? Taper from what he's taking? Go to detox? I'm confused....

And unslept.

Sorry this little Aussie is cranky today, I'm not usually like that!!! Promise.
    Didn't mean to offend.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-20-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Yes, he was injecting it for several months. What is the recommendation for him? What do you all believe would be best for him to do? I will try to get him on here to share his thoughts today or tomorrow.

bev49 is offline Banned

I didn't realize he was injected but still I think methadone maintenance is overkill at the moment. Oz, meth for a benzo addiction is crazy. What does one thing have to do with another? In America it seems like if people get on meth they stay there. The idea is the guy has been using super short term so I believe you try everything first. I would say cold turkey or taper but it seems he doesnt want to do that. Definitely sub over meth. Sub is designed to be tapered off of if done right, meth isn't designed that way at all. If you go on meth, you stay on meth.

bryanv is offline New Member

Unhappy Boyfriend of ew04

Hi. I am ew04's boyfriend. I couldn't disagree with you more telling me it was a mistake to start methadone maintainence, although I guess my girlfriend didn't really give you the whole story. I have been using oxycontin and other opiates since the age of 16 (I am now 21). From the first time you could say I was "hooked." I thought it was the best feeling ever felt. I was able to control my use for many years, but probably only because I did not have a steady supply of the drug. I just got it when it popped up every once in a while. I began using oxy by way of IV at the age of about 18. Still I was able to keep my life in order, but things began to slip. I never had a lot of extra money because when I did, it went to oxycontin. Then, last year at about this time, I found a source and, pretty soon after, began spending $100 a day on black tar >>>>>>e, used IV of course. That went on daily until I went to rehab in March. I got clean while I was there for a month. When I got out, I didn't have much sobriety. As soon as I had money again, I was using and became just as addicted as I was before. I tried to quit on my own many times without success. The grind looking for and withdrawling from >>>>>>e caused me to fail two college semesters and lose two jobs.

Now that I'm in the methadone clinic, I feel great every day. I don't really get high by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel normal and attend school regularly and am looking for a job. I'm building my life up and then plan to slowly ween off methadone. When I was clean after rehab, I was constantly anxious and couldn't sleep and I was always thinking about opiates. Now I am relaxed and can live life happily.

So, how is this a mistake again?

I'm sure your story is worse, but isn't it good that I stopped mine before it got any worse? The methadone clinic is nothing but a help to my life.

Sorry guys, my boyfriend just told you more about himself tha
    n he's told me in our 5-year relationship. I feel quite uniformed.

He doesn't want to get clean right now, but he wants to want to get clean. Thats's a quote.

How will that happen by simply being on methadone and not having any support from anything/anyone else? I can't imagine the feeling of wanting to get high will just go away on its own.

He hates me for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanv View Post
    Hi. I am ew04's boyfriend. I couldn't disagree with you more telling me it was a mistake to start methadone maintainence, although I guess my girlfriend didn't really give you the whole story. I have been using oxycontin and other opiates since the age of 16 (I am now 21). From the first time you could say I was "hooked." I thought it was the best feeling ever felt. I was able to control my use for many years, but probably only because I did not have a steady supply of the drug. I just got it when it popped up every once in a while. I began using oxy by way of IV at the age of about 18. Still I was able to keep my life in order, but things began to slip. I never had a lot of extra money because when I did, it went to oxycontin. Then, last year at about this time, I found a source and, pretty soon after, began spending $100 a day on black tar >>>>>>e, used IV of course. That went on daily until I went to rehab in March. I got clean while I was there for a month. When I got out, I didn't have much sobriety. As soon as I had money again, I was using and became just as addicted as I was before. I tried to quit on my own many times without success. The grind looking for and withdrawling from >>>>>>e caused me to fail two college semesters and lose two jobs.

Now that I'm in the methadone clinic, I feel great every day. I don't really get high by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel normal and attend school regularly and am looking for a job. I'm building my life up and then plan to slowly ween off methadone. When I was clean after rehab, I was constantly anxious and couldn't sleep and I was always thinking about opiates. Now I am relaxed and can live life happily.

So, how is this a mistake again?

I'm sure your story is worse, but isn't it good that I stopped mine before it got any worse? The methadone clinic is nothing but a help to my life.

I want to welcome you here and say that I think it took a lot on your part to come here and tell the truth about everything. I respect you for doing that and I mean that sincerely for what that is worth to you. I think it's great that you're trying to make this change in your life at such a young age. I waited until I was past 50. I wish that I would have taken action while I was 21 years old like you're doing. Congratulations on that decision.

I totally understand your addiction to opiates. I abused opiates for 35 years. Pretty stupid of me I know. My addiction was also brought to a head when I was first introduced to oxys. Within a very short time I lived for them. I ran around for YEARS waving guns, wearing a double-shoulder holster, living the life of a bottom-feeding scumbag in hell. If you had something I wanted I would take it from you if you wouldn't give it to me. When I finally got clean I had like 14 outstanding car wrecks and about 30 tickets driving. I won't go into all my past as I would rather discuss the solution than going into war stories. War stories don't accomplish anything and mine are disgusting. I will only say that I abused opiates a long time as previously mentioned.

Methadone is NOT a bad drug. It has a place in the medical community. I recommend it for people all the time when I feel it's in their best interest. So please don't think I'm one of those people who thinks methadone is evil and people who use it are less than anyone else.

There is just one part of your story that concerns me where methadone is concerned. This is your quote " ...I'm building my life up and then plan to slowly ween off methadone. " Don't get me wrong I think what you're doing is great. But you're wanting to ween yourself off the methadone according to your quote. Man it's a tough thing to do as methadone is probably the toughest detox of all opiates. IF you were using methadone permanently for pain management or even if you were going to be on methadone permanently on a maintenance basis I could go along with your train of thought. But the fact that you yourself say you're planning to ween off the methadone I think you should consider one other option first as methadone should be a last-resort type of medication.

Have you tried using suboxone? I guarantee you there are SEVERAL people here who used methadone and weren't able to ever get clean until they made the switch to suboxone. It worked for me too with my oxy habit of so many years. I got clean off oxy in 2002 and have never looked back. I've seen LOTS of people here use subs to get clean off black tar as well.

IF .... and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you want to know more about suboxone and how it's helped lots of others of us just like you let me know. I can help you with making the transition as a couple others here can as well. Again it's your call but if you want to know more about this other option talk to me. Here is a link that explains how I suggest using subs. This is the process I put together for myself when I was getting clean and others here have successfully used it too. Just check it out and let me know how I can help you further. I wish you the best in whatever route you decide to pursue. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-20-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ew04 View Post

He doesn't want to get clean right now, but he wants to want to get clean. Thats's a quote.

How will that happen by simply being on methadone and not having any support from anything/anyone else? I can't imagine the feeling of wanting to get high will just go away on its own.

He hates me for caring.

Here is my suggestion for you with all due repsect. Give him a little space here to make the right decision as this is a HUGE thing for a 21 year old man to be doing.

Try to be proud of him for trying this even though it may be something you don't understand. This is a tough thing to do and it's hard to open up telling others about things we've done that we're likely to be judged over.

Be there to support him as long as he's moving forward in the right direction. It doesn't sound to me like he hates you for caring based on his post. He's in a tough place right now and trying to get out of it based on what I can see. That's just my take on the situation. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.

bev49 is offline Banned

Bryan, when I said it was a mistake I was going on only a tiny bit of the real story. I'm glad you came here and set the record straight. Boy is the story different. It changes things alot. Bear in mind, the original post said you were on opiates for about 6 months and there was nothing about shooting >>>>>>. I am not anti methadone. In fact I was on a methadone program in NYC for over 30 years (I'm 60 now). There were not too many people on the program who weened off in a short time. Just be aware of that. A vast majority of people stay on for a long time. Again, let me say I am pro methadone in certain instances. Especially for IV users, it can be a life saver. If its what you want, there's nothing to talk about. BUT there is the subutex option that Robert speaks of that you might not be aware of. You would have no withdrawl whatsoever and could be clean in a couple of months. Robert has helped numerous people through it right here on this site in the past. Of course, if you are comfortable on the methadone and are happy with it, as long as you have all the knowledge then I support your decision 100%.

Ew, I am positive that Bryan does NOT hate you for caring. He feels he's solved his problem. You have a different idea. I agree with Robert. Give him a little space to think things through.

Thank you for your help, Bev and Robert. But I would do anything to help Bryan. You must understand I just learned the brief truth of the extent of his drug use. Yes, it is much worse than I thought.

I want to give him space. I also want to make sure he is on the right track. It seems that may be subutex. But I know that is up to him.

I just don't want to see him on methadone for the rest of his life or, of course, back doing what he was doing.

I will always be there for him as long as he is moving forward. I just don't want him to sit down and give up. But again, I understand that is up to him.

I know this is hard for him. I want to be the love and support that helps move him forward. It's just the hardest thing I've ever gone through, watching someone I love so much struggle.

Thanks again.

DaddyWayne is offline New Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ew04 View Post

He hates me for caring.
    Hey ew04...Methadone CAN work to get people better. I know as I was living the active >>>>>> taking life for a number of years in seedy downtown Vancouver & after 6-7-8 overdoses... thank god I found a drug councellor who helped me get off IV useing, into a rehab-type place & ON the methadone program... I took some control back & although it was slow goings... My life has NEVER been better. Id of died without methadone as it allowed me a way OUT of the cycle I was stuck in..eg:waking up sick, having to come up with $$ to feel better, nevermind getting high.. I was the walking dead. So talk to a A&D councellor....maybe check out N.A. Your man CAN do it.

bev49 is offline Banned

Let me say one thing.... For an IV >>>>>> user, methadone is better than shooting dope, but sub is better than methadone. You have no side effects and there's a proven way to get off within a couple of months. This is just my opinion. Had there been subutex back when I was using >>>>>>, many years ago, I would have gone that route without a doubt. There was nothing but methadone if you were looking for replacement therapy and as I said most tend to stay on long. It's just the way it is. Having said that, Ew, if Bryan is happy on methadone, there is not much to be said. He can stabilize on a not too high dose, he won't feel it after the beginning and it can work. It just would never be my first choice, not even for me if I could do it all over again,

Matt_1989 is offline New Member

bryan i am new here too. i also made many of the mistakes you have made. i am 19 and have been using since around 14 15 recreationally but was full blown by 16. i have been sober for a year and 14 days today. methadone is a good way to start your road to recovery. i started on 20 mgs and stayed there for 2 months. i support you in every way, but dont think im knocking you when i say this but 55mgs is more than enough to get you by. dont take anymore. i think it might be a smart decision for you to look into suboxone. i have been on it for as long as i have been sober and i will personally vouge for the way it makes me feel normal. i know when you decide to kick the methadone you will be hurting so learn from my mistake and do your research on suboxone just so it is in the back of your mind. if you guys would like to hear my whole story check out the suboxone forum.

You have already done the right thing, but now you should keep your head up and look foward for it will only get better from here on out

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast