Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
"Coming off Methadone......"
    toolong30 is offline New Member

Hi your story reminds me of myself except the part of coming off...you should be so extremely proud of yourself for coming as far as u have...I wish u all the luck in the world...just by reading what u wrote, I feel a little closer to actually taking that step...I am 30 and have been on 120 mg for about 3 years now...before that a loonnngg history of opiate abuse more than half of my life. That is why I have felt hopeless for a long time...every time I thought about even just tapering down a little, I would have an anxiety attack...anyway I just wanted to tell u that u have inspired me to realize that it really can happen....

Hi I am a new member. I just registered on here today. Before I attempted any kind of treatment for this horrible disease we call 'addiction', I have been using >>>>>> IV for more than half of my life. I have been on Methadone maintainance for approx. 3 years and before that I tried Suboxone. Before Suboxone I tried inpatient detox (5-7 days each) about 10 times. Every time I came out of detox, I felt so sick that I went right back to using, and each time my addiction got worse. I even tried 28 day rehab 3 times after a few of the 7 day detox's however only lasted a few days each time because I was too sick to function. So, what I did was start methadone. When I initially began, the clinic that I currently attend, was supposed to be a 30 day outpatient detox...well when I arrived there and gave them proof of my prior failed treatments, they assured me that a 30 day detox was not going to be sufficient for me....so I began on the 6 month outpatient detox. They started me at 30 mg and increased by 10 mg for three days...so on my 4th day I was at 60mg and still sick having to supplement with >>>>>>. That continued until I reached 90 mg. Finally at 90mg, I was able to remain free of >>>>>> for quite some time. Anyway I relapsed a few times, and to make a long story shorter, I ended up on maintainance at 120 mg for the past 1.5 years totally drug free (you know what I mean; other than methadone). Now for the past few months I have been thinking about detoxing off the methadone however, my life right now is very stressful, I have several issues going on at once here, and I keep changing my mind about starting to come down. I do understand that life is not going to be totally stress free, but I do believe that after these issues are resolved, maybe that would be a better time to think about detoxing. Well I thank anybody who took the time to read this, and I'm sorry for rambling on and on. It's just that everybody in my life knows my story and they all tell me to come off it ASAP. Any feedback or suggestions would be a big help. Thank you again! By the way, I was reading everybodys posts on here and I see a guy named Robert giving good advice. So Robert if you happen to come across this, I would greatly appreciate your input on my situation. Thanks to all and may God Bless.

faithforsure is offline New Member

Default God this sucks

This is my first time posting although I have been reading everyones posts for the last few days. I have been using methadone for approx. 2yrs. I started using because the Norco and Vicodin just wasnt enough, however I was not prescribed methadone. I was getting them from a friend. Unfortuantley I did not REALLY know the actual effects of this drug. I was told that it was used to help Herion addicts kick the habit, and dr's prescribe it to patients for pain control, I was told that it was a non addictive med. OH so wrong!!!! So today I am now 8 days clean!!!!!! Let me tell you these 8 days have been total HELL!! I have 3 kids a full-time job. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband that is very supportive and is helping me the best way he can. Yesterday I finally went to see my doctor. My doctor has had no knowledge of my methadone use, so I was very scared and reluctanct to dicuss this issue, but I know that I needed some help to get through this. Thankfully my doctor was very supportive and nonjudgemental, that took a huge load of my chest. My doctor put me on Xanax for anxiety, now she did inform me that Xanax can be habit forming but she assured me that she will not allow me to be on this med long enough to form a habit. She prescribed me .5mgs, at 3 times a day if needed. I have taken 2 yesterday, I finally after 7 days of no sleep, slept a full night and today I honestly feel 80% better. During these 8 days I have been using advil for aches and sleeping pills to rest at night, honestly they only helped me sleep about 1 1/2 hrs. each night. I have also been staying away from red meats and drinking lots and lots of green tea. I know that I will make it through this successfully because I was able to admit the addiction and seek help. I did feel like a junkie but everyone around me has been so supportive and caring which I know has helped me get through this hard time. To everyone going through this I know its probably going to be the hardest thing you ever going to do, but you will survive, we all will.... It does get better, believe it or not!!!

GaryT1956 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by toolong30 View Post
    Hi I am a new member. I just registered on here today. Before I attempted any kind of treatment for this horrible disease we call 'addiction', I have been using >>>>>> IV for more than half of my life. I have been on Methadone maintainance for approx. 3 years and before that I tried Suboxone. Before Suboxone I tried inpatient detox (5-7 days each) about 10 times. Every time I came out of detox, I felt so sick that I went right back to using, and each time my addiction got worse. I even tried 28 day rehab 3 times after a few of the 7 day detox's however only lasted a few days each time because I was too sick to function. So, what I did was start methadone. When I initially began, the clinic that I currently attend, was supposed to be a 30 day outpatient detox...well when I arrived there and gave them proof of my prior failed treatments, they assured me that a 30 day detox was not going to be sufficient for me....so I began on the 6 month outpatient detox. They started me at 30 mg and increased by 10 mg for three days...so on my 4th day I was at 60mg and still sick having to supplement with >>>>>>. That continued until I reached 90 mg. Finally at 90mg, I was able to remain free of >>>>>> for quite some time. Anyway I relapsed a few times, and to make a long story shorter, I ended up on maintainance at 120 mg for the past 1.5 years totally drug free (you know what I mean; other than methadone). Now for the past few months I have been thinking about detoxing off the methadone however, my life right now is very stressful, I have several issues going on at once here, and I keep changing my mind about starting to come down. I do understand that life is not going to be totally stress free, but I do believe that after these issues are resolved, maybe that would be a better time to think about detoxing. Well I thank anybody who took the time to read this, and I'm sorry for rambling on and on. It's just that everybody in my life knows my story and they all tell me to come off it ASAP. Any feedback or suggestions would be a big help. Thank you again! By the way, I was reading everybodys posts on here and I see a guy named Robert giving good advice. So Robert if you happen to come across this, I would greatly appreciate your input on my situation. Thanks to all and may God Bless.
    Couple things come to mind. First off your story is NOT unique. I have seen individuals addicted from the 60's and 70's and on Methadone for YEARS come off this. Second your stress point in an important issue. Go SLOW.. You can start you journey back Why NOT? Your not going to notice a difference in 120 or 60 if you take your time and do it correctly. The important issue is not to rush it. Set small goals that work toward your ultimate goal, then achieve them. Its gonna take time. A good 18mths MINIMUM. You can't drop more than 5mgs every couple weeks. Then each time you drop 10mgs you need to give it a couple too a few weeks before attacking another 5-10mgs.

My point is this.........Though you are stressed in life this year, next year may not be the same. IF you are stessed then.. stop coming down and stay where your at. But start aligning yourself with a realistic situation of Detoxe. Going in-patient Detoxe isn't going to work till your down to 20-30mgs. Then its gonna be hard if you talking 4-6 week detoxe.

If you slowly work yourself down to 60-50mgs. Now your is the arena where you can stop, or continue and complete. At 50mgs your still realisticly talking 6mths to FEEL NOTHING and completely Detoxe.

To stay straight, you odds are the BEST if you can walk away from the Detoxe with a minimal amount of sickness. In order to do this you have to move towards the goal of ZERO Methadone VERY SLOWLY.

Look I'll talk to you about this any time you want. You can get out of that self made prison cell. Its not gonna be easy, but it doesn't have to be physically uncomfortable either. Its going to take TIME and rational thinking.

And of course the KEY factor in all of this is relapse. Look everyone relapse's again its not uncommon, its expected. Whats important is realizing where your at, stopping the detoxe, and getting help. If its going up Ten mgs at this point so-be it. Whats the big deal? We as addicts MAKE this into something much larger than it has to be. Yes its a Time consuming adventure, but thats all it is. Its NOT impossible, many, many many others have done this. And YOU CAN DO IT!

Concieve it in your mind, Believe it in your Heart............And you CAN achieve it.

And PRAY, Never underestimate the power or Prayer. Peace/Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mamaburk View Post
    thanks for the comments im holding in there so far and trying to stay strong. a friend of mine also did this cold turkey after reaching 5 and stayin there for a minute and when it got real bad would take only a mg or so just to ease up on it worked ok for her. also i have heard that taking benzos help with the withdrawls and make them much more manageable.. i am pretty stubborn and am ready to be done. so i thought i was doing ok but feeling pretty ********py i have had benzos called in for me and am curious if anyone has tried that. id like to do it without taking anymore methadone im sure everyone would! only if it were that easy huh?!lol anyway again thank you im looking forward to more suggestions and REALLY appreciate your advice alot
    They'll help you sleep if you walk away from a low dose of 8mgs or so. other than that they arn't a lot of help. And they put you back on the Merry Go Round. Not the place you want to be. You think Meth is hard to Detoxe? Wait till you lick those Benzo's. They will kill you.

You have to come down SLOW and consistant on Methodone, Thats the bottom line. Theres a lot of Smart thinking on this thread. Print it out an read it constantly. You have to drop 5-10mgs at a time. The first drop is 5 then the next week the other 5. Then you stay there for a couple weeks or till your ready for the next 5-10 drop. When you get down to 20mgs. Now you have muliple choices. You can continue to 0 by dropping 2-1/2 mgs at a clip from this point. From 10-mgs you go down 1-mg at a clip. You do it this way, you won't be sick at all. Not ONE DAY. You can walk away from 10-20 to a in-patient detoxe. Your going to be sick sure as the Suns gonna rise. You can use Subonex. You can use Benzo's? Personally I think its a bad idea. But they will help around 10mgs. Best bet IMO here is to finsih the detoxe on the methodone. I know nobody wants to here this. But IMHO its the smartest route to staying clean.

I have seen addicts Cold Turkey large doses of Methodone. Its been done and could be done. But...............You will be sick and when that stops your sleep pattern will disrupted for months. I've seen guys come off 80-120 dose's on a Cold Turkey. You will go into halicinations at this dose. This here isn't something you want to play with. 50 would be very hard to walk away from. 20-10 would be the MAX I would try to do this with. Those I have seen Cold Turkey were also locked-up. Thats why they were going Cold-Turkey. But this isn't the way to do anything on the street, its not rational. Come down slow all the way to one-mg. Thats the way to go, you'll feel like you've accomplished something...because you have! You won't be sick and will feel perfectly "normal" whatever that may be to you. And you will be on the right track with your addictive personality/ Simple as that.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-16-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    Another thing, and this is just a guess, of course, but I've really never heard of it taking 4 to 5 days to reach the stage of withdrawal you need to be in. I had been on methadone as I said, over 30 years, never missing a day, on 25 mgs. the last few years. I took my final dose Friday 9 a.m., felt fine all day saturday, no w/d, felt fine half of sunday, started to feel bad sunday evening and woke up 3 a.m. monday a.m. feeling like death warmed over. I had my appt. monday 9 a.m. and was at the right spot on the COWS and got inducted in within 20 mins I was perfectly fine, not high, not sick, just great. I would say i was ready at about the 62-64 hour mark..... Don't pre worry about how long it takes. It will take however long it takes but from my experience, 72 hours is the magic number.
    After your last dose, the Methodone will remain "holding on" from 48-72hrs. This isn't uncommon. I would suspect a fair share was also you and your fears. Just like individual with a Phobia [Darkness] though there may very well be nothing wrong. They are terrified, and this is VERY real to them? So give your mind 50% of the sickness. But don't stay sick take 2mgs for a day of two and try it again. Its gonna stop. BTW you serve as an inspiration to others walking the same path. The knowledge you carry.....you need to continue to give to others. As you see just from this thread, there just are not enough out here that understand the dynamics od Meth. detoxe and are willing to give back to help others.

Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by toolong30 View Post
    I keep reading this and thinking...How common this is with many >>>>>> Addicts. Baby Steps is what you want to take. But you want to keep on going continuously in the right direction. Read the previous posts about detoxe I typed in and follow that. While others may be able to rush this and drop faster. Your gonna have to really take Baby Steps. Trick is not to let a relapse ruin you detoxe. Because I could also tell you this. Say you give up a dirty urine or two? The clinic your on will stop you from dropping and very possibly raise your dose. Don't let this happen. Rightfully so you will stop you own detoxe like this. Trick is to slow the Detoxe down as SOON AS YOUR THINKING ABOUT GETTING HIGH! Her's my E-Mail contact me if you have question garytaylor19566@aol.com I traveled that road many years ago and work in this field now. I did it, many others have did it, and you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ew04 View Post
    My boyfriend was addicted to Oxy for about 6 months before detoxing and completing a 1-month in-treatment rehab program. He relapsed and started using Oxy again a couple months later. He used for about a month, then started going to a methadone clinic to replace his habit. He has been going there for about a month and a half and I believe is on 55 mg or so.

My concern is that he is not dealing with his addiction. He is simply replacing one drug with another. He says he is using methadone b/c it's all he can do right now to put his life together. He is amazing at practicing avoidance, and I think that is what methadone is helping him do.

I am trying to convince him to begin tapering off methadone in a couple months after he finds a job and feels more confident. I know and he knows it would be very gradual. He says he will try, but I highly doubt he means it. He says he'll get off when he's ready to not want to do drugs anymore. But if he never does anything more than go to the methadone clinic, how will he ever be ready? He says rehab didn't work for him and narcotics anonymous is not for him either. How will he ever NOT want drugs?

He says the people at the methadone clinic said being on methadone for a year is the best idea. Has anyone heard of that? I think it's BS and they just want his money.

I am desperate for him to be clean. I miss him so much. He thinks he is totally normal on methadone and I disagree. He lost his job b/c he slept late one day. He sleeps all day and can't sleep at night. He is always sweating. He seems to have muscle spasms, too. He has thrown up b/c of the methadone. Who knows what other side effects he feels that he hides from me.

I know he must come to a conclusion on his own, but he is killing me and his family in the process. I'm terrified.

Can I do anything to help? Can people offer him any advice on how to get off methadone or their experiences with it? I think the longer he is on it, the worse off he is.

He tells me he is getting better, tries to convince me this is his path to sobriety. His mom and I feel in our hearts it is not.

Please, any advice for me or my boyfriend is greatly needed and would be greatly appreciated.
    I read this post and have to tell you. The amount of time your boyfriends been fooling with Narcotics definatly doesn't make him a candidate for long term Meth Maint. A Meth Detoxe for 6-mths for sure. A long term Maint. no. Unfortunatly we have a serious problem in the states as we speak with prescription drugs and the high % of street >>>>>>. Thus a short Tolerence for addicts and not the type of recovery programs we need. Thus many more and much younger people are finding themself on Methadone Maint. I know that what he's doing may well seem like a solution today. But I'm afraid years will pass and the enrollment in a long term Meth Maint program will be finalized? Scary thought hey?
    Its hard to know and decide whats right for yourself. You can make a judgement call and educated guess from the circumstance's surrounding you and in your heart, if it feels right. Then you go with it. I'm possitive this is what your up against with your boyfriend. And he very well may be right? He may be the "perfect" candidate for long term Meth Maint.
    But imho I would not let a younger person in the 25yo range do this to themself without trying it straight a couple times. And my heart of heart tells me this? And thats an educated guess on my part. I have seen many walk away from this and remain drug free. But untill an individual is ready to be straight. There is NOTHING you can do. And all the talk will be in vain. Its easy to be a Monday Quarterback and say what should have would have and could have happened. But you have to face what did happen.
    This is a tough, tough and terrible thing this addiction. Many don't make it.
    I have seen many commited to life long treatment on Meth Maint. The later is not a BAD choice. Its a personal choice. If you can remain on the meth maint program and NOT use other drugs? I would say you have done pretty well for yourself. You ultimatly have to be the captain of your ship.
    I have no-issue with a individual who has had several detoxe's under his belt. Incarcerations due to substance aduse and maybe a previous stunt in a Methadone program. This is a perfect candidate for Meth Maint. But IMO, I would give sobriety a chance. You may realize you like it. Unfortunatly you my friend are in the worst situation anyone could be in. You are NOT an addict. You are not actually family, and at some point....may have to cut your lose's and move on. Thats what I mean, by he's much to young to be dealing with this. Addiction is a ********** and he's in for the struggle of his life for his life? If need be, you win the battle through attrition. Hope this puts it in perspective for ya.

Hey GARYT1956...I appreciate you responding to me..you gave me a lot of hope. I'mjust really scared because I have never been clean for this long and I would love to continue staying clean and I'm not sure if I can do that. Another thing...I've been reading people's posts on here stating they can't function because they are too tired from the methadone. I feel perfectly fine..I can actually function very well on methadone. I also only have to go once a week..I get 6 take homes per week..I pick it up on tuesday thn I have group therapy, then I have group therapy again on thursday and that is all I have to do. When I used to have to go everyday it was a hassle but now it's very convenient. I also do not like when I read.."Being on methadone is the same thing as being on >>>>>> (or whatever they use)" it pisses me off so bad..especially when a non-addict says it..they have absolutely no idea what we have to go through..and I strongly believe being a drug addict is a terrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...but anyway I think I will speak to the dr about starting to go down when I go on tuesday..my biggest fear is not feeling normal once I'm off it...I know that if I feel ********ty, I will definately go right back to using...and I am so done with that lifestyle...I was so disgusted with myself when I finally decided to get clean..thank you for the advice I really appreciate it...
    toolong30

woodbutcher is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Beanstalk View Post
    ...without going into a rehab center.I have heard of some doing this successfully,although it took a while.I have read many times that this is THE HARDEST drug to stop.I have dealt with Chronic Pain(Lumbar area)for 16-17 years now,going from Darvocet,to Vicodin,to Oxycontin,then,Morphine,back to Oxy,to Methadone.I,ve been on 30mgX3 daily for over 2 years.I hate taking drugs every day and have often wished to quit.Has anyone had any experience with stopping Methadone by tapering or something?Jack Beanstalk
    5mgs decreases at intervals that you can tolerate. maybe every 4-6 weeks drop 2/12 - 5 mgs people will suggest benzos to help with sleep but they are very addictive . i have found that a good strong medical grade cannabis works for the sleep problems quite well. also when you get down to the last 5-2 1/2 mgs start taking them every other day before quiting all together.. take your time and dont get discouraged if it does not work the first time,. stronger people have tried and failed so just keep at it. good luck peace jim

chunky60 is offline New Member

Default getting off methadone

I am only on 20mil right now of Methadone and I really want to get off. I have quite a few pills and think I can wiene myself off of them. With this small amount could I cut back 10% every two weeks and get off. Just need some advice. thanks.

chunky60 is offline New Member

Default cutting back

I am on Methadone for a major back surgery for pain. I started out on about 50mil and have been cutting back a little bit for a couple of years but I really want to get off all together even though I have not had one major pain relaspe. I just dont like anything controling my life. Anyway im down to 20mil a day and started cutting 5mil more yesterday. Just want some imput thanks.....chunky

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by chunky60 View Post
    I am on Methadone for a major back surgery for pain. I started out on about 50mil and have been cutting back a little bit for a couple of years but I really want to get off all together even though I have not had one major pain relaspe. I just dont like anything controling my life. Anyway im down to 20mil a day and started cutting 5mil more yesterday. Just want some imput thanks.....chunky

chunky ....... You're doing just fine like you're going but when you get down to the lower doses it starts getting tougher. You're at a perfect dose of methadone to make a switch over to subutex. I could taper you down so much faster and it would be much easier on your body. If you're interested let me know. Here is a link in the meantime that explains how I suggest using subs. It's really a piece of cake when you do it the right way. And it's really perfect for finishing off a methadone taper. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Anonymous Guest

i know this thread is mostly about methadone, and i don't want to discourage all you fine people from tapering off as best as you can on the methadone.
    for me, i was able to get right down, then due to circumstances beyond my control i cold turkeyed. i got through it but then went back to using again a couple of years later.
    back on methadone. lots of it.
    i just wanted to say since i got on subs in september, i have so far tapered down to 1mg, from 14mg, and i have had very few symptoms at all.
    so anyone on methadone needing some hope, i would strongly advise to switch to suboxone if you are able.
    it really is far superior to methadone, in the way we are able to count off with far less hassles.
    i wish you all the best, i know what its like being in that prison of methadone, i am not clean yet, but i am the closest to being clean for a long time, and this time i feel it in my bones im going to get it right.

good luck to all
    cheeky

bongeri is offline New Member

Unhappy

...without going into a rehab center.I have heard of some doing this successfully,although it took a while.I have read many times that this is THE HARDEST drug to stop.I have dealt with Chronic Pain(Lumbar area)for 16-17 years now,going from Darvocet,to Vicodin,to Oxycontin,then,Morphine,back to Oxy,to Methadone.I,ve been on 30mgX3 daily for over 2 years.I hate taking drugs every day and have often wished to quit.Has anyone had any experience with stopping Methadone by tapering or something?Jack Beanstalk
    YES....I'm trying to now. I've been on 20 mgs x 4 daily with oxy and it has been 2 months of stepping down to 10 per day to nothing and then I ended up in the hospital with colitis. Maybe I did it too fast because I couldn't eat or drink anything for a week, became dehydrated and caused damage to my colon. I'm 3 days home now and still really weak and not eating much at all. GET A DOCTOR TO HELP!!!

Mrjustintate is offline New Member

My dad died of H at 9. And stupid me wanted to find out at 20 why he loved dope more than me, so a few years into addiction I took methadone. I thank God for it, that day if it didn't work I honest to God was going to hang myself. luckilly it helped, have been drug and alcohol free for overm2 years on it. I am in great shape 6'3 250 athletic..... I am a Phi Theta kappa Honor Student about to transfer to a major University to get a degree to work in addiction. I was at 99 mf at my highest, and now I am at 69. I was prescribed .25 mg Xanax due to anxiety.... I swear to God it helps me come down so much. But I refuse to take more than the minimum, just want to keep my straight a's while detoxing. I NEED A FRIEND with Advice!! I am poor but willing to pay for advice!!! Please you are not just helping me, but my family and all those people I am going to help. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone who has knowledge of this email me. I won't waste your time, and can prove All that I say.

Pleasr I dont want to be my Dad, 6 feet under due to OD.

be the person who helped me so I too can pay it forward, my god I am begging you!!!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-09-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Kay99 is offline New Member

Hi all, I have been on methadone for 10 yrs prescribed by a pain clinic dr. I have started coming off of it and have gotten down to 15 mg a.m/10mg p.m so my question is this how do I keep tapering it down so I won't have withdrawals ?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Kay99 View Post
    Hi all, I have been on methadone for 10 yrs prescribed by a pain clinic dr. I have started coming off of it and have gotten down to 15 mg a.m/10mg p.m so my question is this how do I keep tapering it down so I won't have withdrawals ?

If I understand correctly you're dosing twice a day, once at 15mg in the morning and 10mg at night. I would make a switch to suboxone as it's an easier taper. I can induct you myself right here on this thread of the forum. Been doing it for years. Here is a link to the process I used on myself and have used here successfully for years. I have ten years clean after using 35 years so I know what you're going through. Let me know if you want my help. I just ask that you do as I ask so I am able to be successful helping you get clean. It would take us about two months to be totally off the subs too. Pay very close attention to the INDUCTION section of the link that follows. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

mikechris is offline New Member

Hi Guys I am so glad there is a forum like this to go to. My doctor started me on 40mg of methadone in early December,it was suppose to help relieve my sciatic pain and of course wean me off the opiates. The first month it helped with about 70% of the pain and the transition from the hydrocodone to the methadone was'nt too bad even though I would nod off on the toilet and standing up in the kitchen holding my coffee! the hot liquid hiting my foot woke me up..lol Anyway aftetr my first month I knew I was going to want to get off this drug as soon as I can and I have weaned down 10mg about every 3 weeks, I am now at 20mg taking 10mg every 12 hours. I plan to drop to 10mg in about 2 weeks thyen down to 5 mgs for 2 weeks and then STOP. I hope it goes well,I believe the fact that I have'nt been on it forever is going to really help..what do you think? thanks guys!!!!

FarEast is offline Member

I been on 30ng for pain management from damaged nerve & serious neuralgia . When in the states I took narco 3X day but in Thailand all that is allowed is methadone . Helps with pain but a nasty drug for anyone who enjoys active life and wants to work . I cut from 30 to 15 two days ago and feel sick with debilitating pain from where nerve damage was and the first tapering drop . I was tricked into benzo use by a Dr 15 years ago and had to get off those 10 years ago and benzo withdrawals almost killed me but made it .

This is why I make first cut big ( hope not too much ) then plan to drop another 5 every week . Am I being unrealistic ? Just so tired of living in chains ?? If I was in US I would have stayed on hydro but here only methadone legal and I keep legal as its privilege to be here where medical care is affordable for my neuralgia .

What I am saying is maybe being here with only this nassssssssty drug is going to get me off all opioids drugs . On low dose of Ritilan for add and will cut this out also . The hydro was great for pain control but guess its not something one should take forever . So now I face this hell but have strong will . I am 20 years sober and now hoping all can be out of system . When I got sober I took nothing till I got hurt but hydro and kept dosage same but felt like ( what a shame I must take anything but after injury things change ) Now with only the choice of methadone and being on it I see its bad drug . Sorry to ramble but my head pounding from injury and cut 2 days ago and hope I can live with pain .
    The Buddha said pain may be necessary but suffering optional with training so now I study podcast from Phuket Mind center to learn how to drive mind with some new tools so I am no longer driven by a runaway mind .

If anyone out there can tell me what I am up against I would appreciate it as I am alone far from my home in US that was sold in Asia ... Gulp ... Thanks in advance for this great resource . Benzo.org saved my life 10+ years ago and I hope here is same group help . If anyone thinks about even small dose of benzo to get over Meth WD think again as benzodiazepines are poison from Hell's Kitchen and change brain for long time possibly forever .. This taper is bringing all back

big50 is offline New Member

Thank You, last time I tried getting off this crazy >>>>, (but it works best for pain) I was at 11ml and I about lost my mind an marrige. They were pi**ed because I was coming off, They said id be fine....so this time I must at all cost be super carful. Highblood, high sugar trying now to bring that down. I'm older than I was, but a lot of things can go wrong here. I will be going to 70 soon from weening from 90mil. Any help or adice...... please let me know. Thank You

2BeFreeofThem is offline Member

Hi big50
    You should start a new thread in the Need to Talk section, you will get more feedback from the community that way. I too am currently tapering off of methadone that I use for pain mgt.
    I've dropped from 80mg to 50mg over a two week period with NO side effects. However, from this point on I am going to taper slowly as advised throughout this forum.
    I'm going to try to taper all the way off and not go the subs route if possible. I have been considering switching once I get to 20mgs of methadone and then doing a sub taper that is popular here on this forum and has been successful for so many.
    I won't make that decision until I get closer to the 20-30mg range. But I have always been able to successfully taper off of other medication and I am believing that I can do the same with methadone, its just going to take going slow from this point and giving my body time to get use to each new reduction. They say slow is better with methadone taper.
    You really have to slow it down once you get to the lower doses but it can be done and you can read many success stories on this forum.
    I have a few other medical conditions that make adding wds on top of even worse so I understand your concern for your other health issues. But talk with a doctor, get your check ups and go slow and steady with the taper, I am sure you can do it too.
    Start your own thread, there are far more experienced people on the forum that will reply and give you the best information you need to get this headed in the right direction. YOu made the biggest and best step by deciding to come off methadone, now you just need a good game plan to follow and the support of this wonderful online community.
    Good luck..keep on tapering.

rhirhia is offline New Member

I've been on methadone for 3 years starting on 85mg and slowly tappering down to current dose of 1.5mg. Ive found this slow and steady approach to be ok with little withdrawl, except slight restless legs and loss of motivation! In saying this i do study full time and am.single mum so keeping busy definately helps!! But determined not to get back on benzos cause i loved them too much for own good!!but each to their own:-P lol.. Good luck mate!!

Chadox78 is offline New Member

Just wanted to hopefully help others who go thru detoxing off methadone. Firstly, I have taken my last dose 4 days ago. And I feel no sickness from it. I have tried and failed before in the past and even once got arrested and locked-up at close to 100mg/day. Didn't sleep for 3 weeks and wanted to die. Another time I was using a lot of different opiates from Dilaudid, Oxys, Methadone, etc. And tried to quit cold-turkey and did so for 40 days, still feeling very bad after 40 days. So it seemed like there was going to be a lot of pain involved in quitting opiates and specifically methadone.

Did end up back on H after many years away from all forms of opiate use. Huge mistake. I ended up back in the methadone clinic and before I knew it was up to about 80mg a day. I stayed there about 6 months then dialed it back to 50 mgs and then decided I had enough. What I was able to do is get down 5mg at a time till I was at around 30 mgs. Sometimes I had a rough couple of days, but only a day or so your body will need to adjust and it's very mild-probably mostly mental ( and this is key concept to remember when you want to get to zero!).

After 30 mgs, I strongly urge you take it very, very slow. I would rather get shot in the leg than go 24hrs dopesick. I think being dopesick is the worst thing I ever experienced and was very nervous about getting out of the clinic. So I signed up for the "blind detox". They take your dose down 1mg every 6 days. It is so gradual that your body does not feel it. You can get down to 0mg this way. And feel no pain. My only issue was I felt fatigue from 12-3 PM while at work. That was it. I still feel that and that is actually the time of day when people feel a crash anyways. I just guess I never had that problem until I started getting low in my dose. But that is peanuts compared to what it could have been.

Like I said I am on day 4. I feel fine. I go to the gym now 3-4 times a week. I walk my dog everyday. I listen to motivational videos like crazy. I take amino supplements to replenish lost seratonin and dopemine. I'm now seeing a psychologist. So I took a very proactive approach. I am anything but lazy and that may have been fueled by me trying to prepare for the day I was going to be off methadone ( or at the really low numbers ). But like I said, the dopesickness never came.

So just wanted to pay it forward to the poster or anyone that is facing this situation. Get your dose down to 30 mgs. I think I got there too fast and maybe drop 1mg a day from 40mg to 30mg. IDK exactly. I just know when I got to 30 mgs, I signed up for the "blind detox". They told me I will drop 1mg every 6 days and never know my dose. That too is important because you don't need to know, it will mess with your head. I hope this helps people, sorry if this was a lot of extra information that could have been summed up in a few sentences. But I just want to be as clear as I can about what kinda person I am and how I was able to do it. GL
    Iluv2smile and EsotericOne like this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

That is great..
    If you could share your
    Experience
    Strength
    And
    Hope..

On here
    You would be helping many people that read these
    Threads
    And don't post..

Please start a new thread on the
    Need to talk
    Board..

I been off methadone about 14 months
    I used sub
    Now almost 6 months off the sub..

You are right..
    We have to be
    Proactive!
    Exercise
    Vitamins/ amino acids
    Water
    Healthy eating..

Especially coming off methadone..
    It is terrible for our GI systems..
    And
    That is where all our good endorphins
    Are started..

Congratulations!
    That is great!
    Bette
    Chadox78 and EsotericOne like this.

EsotericOne is offline New Member

Default Just sharing my experience!

Hi, realize this is an old thread, but I want to add my two cents because I'm in the midst of a methadone taper as I write. Hopefully, this will help someone. I am 32 years old female. I began taking Methadone in Oct 2007. I have chronic bone and joint pain due to years of Sickle Cell crises.

I began having repeated crises after not being sick for over 12 years in May 2006. Acute chest syndrome hit me and almost took me out. Previously, I had been working full-time (2 part-time jobs) and going to school full-time position (16 hours a week) at university nursing program. I was fine until May 2006. After having 3 crises and complications like splenic sequestration crisis within a 2 month period, and being in the hospital a total of 30 days in 60 days, it was clear something was not right with my body. When I would go home from the hospital after being on morphine or Dilaudid, I was prescribed Percocet, Valium, and Vicodin for pain. Yet i was taking so much of it that I was literally ruining my liver. I was taking it around the clock and the pain still had me bedridden.

Enter Oxycontin. Started seeing a specialist at Duke University. Started on 30 mg of OxyContin every 8 hours. Within 1 year, I was up to 180 mg EVERY 12 hours. I was still having a lot of pain, and on top of that, the OxyContin made me very sleepy which I didnt like. I'd developed a huge tolerance due to all the hospitalizations and use of Dilaudid. So I went in Oct 2007 to see a pain specialist in another state after seeing an anesthesiologist/pain specialist at Duke (who also recommended I begin taking methadone like my hematologist did). So he calculated my dose of OxyContin (morphine) and stated that I could start at 7.5 mg every 12 hours of methadone, and go up to maybe 10 and possibly remain on the same dose for many years without escalating much, which is not what happened with OxyContin.

Started with 7.5 of methadone every 12, increased to 10 mg every 12 a few weeks later, and about a year later settled on 20 mg every 8 hours. I took that dose consistently for 3 or 4 years, and then I tapered off on my own to gauge whether my chronic pain had even lessened at all. Turns out, it had, but I still needed at least 20 mg every 12. Continued to take that for another 2 or 3 years and then, due to moving out of state, and not having a local doctor, I reduced it to 10 every 12 and further to 5 every 12 ehere I am now...to ration the medication. I live about 300 miles from Duke and sometimes I cant go and pick up a Rx, which I need every 3 months on average when I take the 20mg every 12 does. I get 180 pills of methadone each visit at which I also have blood labs and a check-up done. I also take 5-10 mg of Oxycodone every 4-6 hours as needed for "breakthrough" pain, which is pain that is over and above my baseline chronic pain level. My baseline chronic pain level is between a 3 and 5 on the pain scale.

The thing I like about methadone is i drive, and take care of my children and go out and about and im not the least bit sleepy or drowsy. It controls my chronic pain very well. However, I am tapering because I just dont want to take meds anymore. I am concerned abiut the future and if some catastrophic event happens, or the grid goes down, I wouldnt be able to get my RX and I would be stuck with going through withdrawals the hard way...which with my condition I cannot cope with. Withdrawals have put me in the hospital before because the bone pain is so similar to my regular chronic bone pain.

So right now, I'm tapering at 5 mg every 12 hours and while I would like to get off it altogether, and have many times before, I always end up back on it in the winter when my bone pain becomes terrible. I am having trouble sleeping, lots of muscle aches, chills, etc. I dont usually have any anxiety but I notice I am anxious and unable to sleep. It's only been about 4 days since I jumped from 10mg every 12 to 5, so hopefully in the next week these symptoms will go away. I hope I can stay off it, but if I can't due to pain, it's just something I will have to accept given this genetic condition I have (drepanocytosis or Sickle Cell Anemia).

Methadone had given me my quality of life back...which I didnt have even while on OxyContin. For chronic bone pain, it has been a godsend. For me, I can stay off it a few months, but when winter comes, I always seem to have to go back on it because I can't control my pain with other meds, and I refuse to use illicit drugs because marijuana is illegal in my state of SC. If it was legal, I wouod definitely use it. Sickle Cell is an approved disorder for medical MJ in this state and in GA, though it hasnt been legalized yet, nor has a prescription system been created.

If I didnt have to worry about my health, and didnt need family nearby in case of emergency, I would pick up and move to Colorado to use MJ instead of methadone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-11-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Brwneydmom is offline New Member

I have been on methadone for chronic pain for easy over 20 years. When I first started having pain in my left abdomen the Dr I saw have me percocetts, then darvocets, all the whole trying to find the source of my pain. When finally I was sent to a pain clinic and that Dr gave me a sedative in an IV, and when I was totally asleep, he pressed on my side and said, "It's not a phantom pain. You definitely have pain in your side and I will treat you as long as you need it with a methadone regimen." Note it's been 25 yrs and the only good thing is I'm not taking anymore mg than I started with. The terribly l trouble is, it's never actually taken the pain away, buy it makes me hyper and able to do things and not care. The thing is, I only take 25mgs per day, because of this fact, it makes me so keyed up, I couldn't have more. So. After all these years and reading the horror stories I've read on people having such a hard time getting it out if their system, I've decided to stop taking it. The trouble is with only taking this little dab, is it gonna be that hard getting rid of it? Or because of my taking it for so long, will it be harder. I've already got it down to 10mg daily and just today took 5mg but I have body aches. Is this because of my age of 53? OR withdrawal? I don't ache this bar when taking it, but I don't take it for my normal 53 yr old joint pain. The original thing in taking it for is a chronic pain in my side.
    Brwneydmom

Swtmiller is offline New Member

Faith Garys right. This is not an impossible feat. I was on methadone for 30+ years and decided to come off completely. I took it slow -2 month. I have been methadone free for 126 hours now. Im hurting some but its not half as bad as you fear before it happens. I still feel like dog s--t but i can see light at the end of the tunnel now......go for it..

Swtmiller is offline New Member

Default not true

t a clip. You do it this way, you won't be sick at all. Not ONE DAY. This is not true.. your going to suffer some no matter how slow you come down.Your body will start feeling bad after 5 no mater how slow.

Rsully is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    If your planning on getting off methadone you need to do an extremely slow taper.The usual way to taper from methadone is 10% every 2 weeks.You take 90mgs total every day so you would cut that to 80 mgs.Try cutting down 10 mgs every 2-3 weeks ( you have to wait this long because methadone has a long half-life).When you get to 30 mgs ask your dr about subutex.If you don't want to involve your dr then once you get down to 20-30mgs/day then slow down to 5 mgs every 2 weeks,if you start to feel ****ty go back up.It takes along time but it's worth it.If you try and stop cold turkey you will be in withdrawls for months.Good luck and let us know how your doing......Dave
    I follow this forum but have never posted. This is what my story is at the moment. Was on all kinds of pain meds and the last pill I've ever taken was in May of last year. Don't plan on taking them ever again. I started MMT in April last year. Only got up to 50mg and by July I was tapering. I do 6mg a month. 2 one week and one the next and then again with the 2 and 1. I am down to 12 mgs and have felt no difference other than being able to poop without stool softeners and I don't sweat nearly as much. I'm glad I chose to taper but I am really wondering how the end of it is going to go. I'm not worried of relapsing, I am worried about what my body is going to feel like. I'm so ready for it. I can't stand having to go there every day. Waste of time and money now that I'm almost done its like I can practically taste the freedom. I am ready for a methadone free summer this year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast