Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree12Likes
"Coming off Methadone......"
    Rsully is offline New Member

Just curious about coming off methadone. Started April 2016. Got up to 50 mg. Started tapering in July and am down to 12mg. I'm tapering 6mgs a month. 2 one week and one the other etc. Its gone very well. I'm so ready to be done getting up early and spending time and money. I work 2 jobs and one is midnights so its difficult getting up early. In the summer it was fine but in the winter here it sucks. In March I will be down to 7mgs. To most it seems impossible but I gave barely had any noticeable difference. I just wonder what to expect towards the end of the taper and even once I am done with that last and final dose. Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Andy, I'd suggest you start your own thread in the "Need To Talk" forum. I'm leaving a link to it for you. It gets a lot of traffic so would be a good place to get advice. Also you might want to google the Thomas Recipe Thread. It should call up that thread on here and give you an idea of some of the vitamins/supplements that can help. I'd avoid the benzos they list on there unless you're already on them, but other than that is some good stuff!

https://forum.drugs.com/need-talk/
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-09-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Ashleyhodges is offline New Member

I have been on methadone for 5 years dosing at 160mg.. 8 months ago I started tapering down by 10mg every week until I hit 20mg.. after that I started going down by 5mg a week until I hit 5mg and I planned on going to 2mg after that and then quitting but instead I hit 5mg and stopped. It's been 11 days now and for the first 3-4 days I had slight withdrawals but nothing close to the withdrawals I had when using.. so I decided to order some Kratom and I took that for about 3 days to take the edge off but quit because it too is addictive and can cause withdrawals and that's what I was trying to avoid! So here I am on day 11 and I feel great.. I can smile without forcing it and laugh without faking it.. I feel positive and hopeful.. I have read so many forums and everyone said how horrible going down was and how horrible it would be when you finally tapered off but my experience was not horrible and I never once felt bad going down.. so it is very possible if you do it right and stay positive!! I'll keep you updated!! Good luck

Nc88 is offline New Member

Default This is just what I needed to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyhodges View Post
    I have been on methadone for 5 years dosing at 160mg.. 8 months ago I started tapering down by 10mg every week until I hit 20mg.. after that I started going down by 5mg a week until I hit 5mg and I planned on going to 2mg after that and then quitting but instead I hit 5mg and stopped. It's been 11 days now and for the first 3-4 days I had slight withdrawals but nothing close to the withdrawals I had when using.. so I decided to order some Kratom and I took that for about 3 days to take the edge off but quit because it too is addictive and can cause withdrawals and that's what I was trying to avoid! So here I am on day 11 and I feel great.. I can smile without forcing it and laugh without faking it.. I feel positive and hopeful.. I have read so many forums and everyone said how horrible going down was and how horrible it would be when you finally tapered off but my experience was not horrible and I never once felt bad going down.. so it is very possible if you do it right and stay positive!! I'll keep you updated!! Good luck
    I hope you get this message or anyone else with any advice, I could definitely use it at this point. Ok, so I'm on 190mg of methadone and yes I know this is extremely high. I need to come off of this as quickly and as safely as possible because I have 4 kids to look after. I have been on this for a little over two years and I want to start coming down 10 mg a week until I get to 30 and then switch to the subutex. Do you think this is a good idea? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to get off this horrible drug as soon as possible? Please help!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nc88 View Post
    I hope you get this message or anyone else with any advice, I could definitely use it at this point. Ok, so I'm on 190mg of methadone and yes I know this is extremely high. I need to come off of this as quickly and as safely as possible because I have 4 kids to look after. I have been on this for a little over two years and I want to start coming down 10 mg a week until I get to 30 and then switch to the subutex. Do you think this is a good idea? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to get off this horrible drug as soon as possible? Please help!
    If you check back in here then you'll want to start your own thread in the "Need To Talk" forum. There is alot more traffic on that forum, you'll get the help, advice and support you need so start your thread asap? Good luck... God bless us all!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nc88 View Post

I sure hope you come back. Take Ricky's advice and start a new thread for yourself. If you need help with that just let us know. I can also help you get off that nasty methadone and switch to suboxone/subutex too. Did the same thing myself. Hope you see this.

Randy

peterredd is offline New Member

I fully agree i have been on 45 mg meth for 5 years coming down and slowly at 7.5mg now.. 1.5 mil not much hey and i will keep coming down until zero.. I maybe sick and except it but i was on morphine for 2 years my Doctor and cut off he died in plane crash and i neary died from withdrawals.. So easy does it.. I have valium i have one 5mg a night thats all... So far so good...

Matt Warren is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mamaburk View Post
    ok im 25 yrs old and have been on methadone for almost 4 years. i started at a high amount over 125 a day. after2 yrs got sick of the dependancy my children and husband saw changes in me i didnt like. so over this last yr i have went from 125+ to only 5 mg a day. its been just about 96 hours since i have had any and im feeling ok my mind is the worst butim staying positive and looking towards the future knowing it will be worth it. i am at a bbreaking point i guess you could say and just dont wanna do it anymore. so im a lil nervous of what the next few days will be like after reading all of this if anyone has any advice i am anxiously awaiting to hear from you, i actually got up and went to work today and did ok but substiteded with energy drinks which seem to help a lil. the vitamins only kind, i have been told keeping lots of vitamins in you will help your body clean itself faster. anyway thanks for listening and hope to hear from someone soon. thank you

I was at 115 mg . Tapered down to 13 mg. Took 1.5 years. I feel like >>>> unless I get out of the house and go to work. That's the only time I have energy and drive. Weekends it's hard to get up and do anything. I think it's mind over matter.
    I just wanted to say about using energy drinks ,. My wife used them and now has adrenal insufficiency. My boss drank them every day. He has same problem. They both be on steroids for the rest of there lives. I'm sure it's from energy drinks.. Be careful.

Wordsofhope is offline Junior Member

Red face Methadone Taper

I know this thread was started in 2005 and it's currently days away from 2018 but I hope what I wrote helps someone. After struggling with a relapse I made the conscious decision to get help. Rehab was not really an option between work and school and also not really wanting EVERYONE knowing I had relapsed. I debated my options and decided to go the methadone route using a clinic. My highest dose was 80mg once a day, which to some may not seem like a crazy amount but methadone is methadone. I had made the decision that at my 6 month mark I would begin a regimen taper, as long as I was mentally stable with no relapse behaviors. Six months came and I knew I was ready, even though the little voice in the back of my head was scared to stop having something to depend on daily, but I bit the bullet and decided to start my taper. I did the math behind the half life of the methadone in my system and figured out, what I believe to be the best way to taper. Every 21 days I drop 3 mgs. By allowing 21 days to go by with each drop it gives my body 1 week to actually get to the 3mgs lower, then gives me one week to stabilize on the lower dose and then one week for my body to recover and be ready to drop again. I am currently down to 9mgs once a day and I can honestly say I have not felt any withdrawal symptoms with the drops. Once I get down to 3mgs I will do 3mgs for 21 days, then 2mgs for 21 day and finally 1mg for 21 days and then off completely. I can't comment on what it will feel like when I finally get down to 1mg and then drop off but I can says doing the 3mg drop every 21days from 80mgs down to 9mgs today has been 100% ok and comfortable!! I also know that if you are on a much higher dose like 200mgs you can drop more mgs at a time but still wait 21 days between the drop and should be ok but once you get to a lower dose you need to go down a smaller amount once you get to a lower base dose. The best advice I can give is take your time, don't be in a rush to drop and don't start your taper until YOU are ready otherwise you will set yourself up for failure. I hope this post gives someone hope that methadone can help you and you can come off comfortably if you are mentally ready and do it right. My prayers to all those still suffering and those who have lost the battle. God bless.

newguy28 is offline New Member

Same here, same mg. Same story jail. It was not nearly as bad as people say it is. Now I imagine larger amounts would be much worse. I'd suggest going to a methadone clinic letting them dose you and then tell them you want off. They will taper you down till a very small amount
    Wordsofhope likes this.

Update: I am now currently at 6mg's once a day. I have felt slightly off with this 3mg drop. However, I also have colitis and celiacs and had a bad flare up a week prior to the drop, so I believe my feeling off is more so from the colitis than the drop. Definitely nothing compared to intense withdrawal, i just feel a little low on energy. No cold sweats, nausea, loose bowl movements etc. Just a bit fatigued. I will try to update with each drop to hopefully help someone who might be wanting to detox off the methadone or for those who are still fighting the good fight of sobriety and want to go the methadone route but are afraid of then coming off the methadone. If you're reading this and have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsofhope View Post
    Update: I am now currently at 6mg's once a day. I have felt slightly off with this 3mg drop. However, I also have colitis and celiacs and had a bad flare up a week prior to the drop, so I believe my feeling off is more so from the colitis than the drop. Definitely nothing compared to intense withdrawal, i just feel a little low on energy. No cold sweats, nausea, loose bowl movements etc. Just a bit fatigued. I will try to update with each drop to hopefully help someone who might be wanting to detox off the methadone or for those who are still fighting the good fight of sobriety and want to go the methadone route but are afraid of then coming off the methadone. If you're reading this and have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Just came across your post and wanted to welcome you to the forum. It's an awesome place for help and support.

Couple things: You should start a new thread for yourself in the Need to Talk section of the forums. This section gets very little action, and this thread is older and belongs to another member. Not many will see your posts here I'm afraid. The Need to Talk section is a very busy one with plenty of members posting daily. Here's the link to beginning a new thread in that section:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/newthrea...newthread&f=32

Title your thread and provide all the info you can share. Copy and paste your posts here to that thread if you like.

There are many of us that have been on Methadone and can certainly help you with your taper. I'll look for your new thread and respond to you there with some suggestions.

Randy

I posted my thread where you suggested and added an update, as I am now down to 5mgs. Looking forward to your reply!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234