darvocet compared to vicodin
    jhard is offline New Member

Default darvocet compared to vicodin

hey all,

had surgery 3 weeks ago and wqas given 10mg vicodin...now i was just prescribed darvocet.anybody know the comparison and will i be in pain?

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Darvocet is lousy, it's 1/40 as strong as morphine, whereas hydrocodone is .6 times as strong, that's huge. Obviously your doctor is weaning you off the pain meds, and at 3 weeks it's a good time before you become real dependant on them, which trust me, you don't want to be hooked on them and suffer withdrawals. So bite the bullet, you'll get through it, it shouldn't be too bad.

vduda is offline Member

I agree with Cat that it seems your doc is trying to wean you off. Propoxyphene is a derivative of methadone. But it is considerably weaker than methadone. I believe Darvacets are a Class 4 narcotic whereas hydrocodone is a class 3 narcotic. I'm not sure what Cat is saying about whether hydrocodone is 6 times stronger than propoxyphene or morphine. Hydrocodone is definitely not stronger than morphine which is a class 2 narcotic, along with Demerol, Dilaudid, Oxycodone, Fentanyl, etc. Still hydrocodone is a strong sythetic opiate and can be very addicting. Hope you heal quickly. God Bless

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

No, I said .6 times as in 6/10's as strong (a little more then half as strong as morphine).