Drug testing questions. Need help asap!
    Pman2k10 is offline New Member

Default Drug testing questions. Need help asap!

Hello everyone. Let me first describe myself and than my problem/questions. I'm 21 years old, 5' 9" tall and 160 lbs. I am currently on probation and order to take 12 panel drug screens and I do have a prescription for opiates (hydrocodone 10/500) for back injuries. I had taken a half of a 80mg oxycontin on feb. 13 and I bought a drug test for myself on feb 23 and passed it for everything except the opiates. About an hr later I arrived at my probation meeting and failed for oxy and opiaties. Well there was a faint line for negitive of the oxy panel but they wanted to send it to the lab for confirmation. I'm thinking that because of a high level of opiates in my urine that it may have caused a false positive for the oxy panel. I have done alot of research about opiates causing false positive for oxy and have found that it does occur quite frequently. The oxy would of been way out of my system in the 10 days I gave it right? Does this sound to just be a false positive?? I'm not a abuser of drugs. I have a medical condition and was in pain and out of my meds and really thought oxy was the same chemical makeup of hydrocodone. I'm currently waiting on the lab confirmation to come back but in the mean time I need some relief from the stress I am dealing with over all of this. Even in the past without using any oxy just the opiates there has been that faint line but everyother time the person administering the test said that the intensity of the line didn't matter that a line even a faint line for negative was a negative. I'm thinking the opi. Has jus caused this faint line everytime and this time it was a newer person administering the test and they decided yo send it to the lab. What do u think?? Do u think the opi is just nearly identical ly the same chemical makeup and has caused the false positive? Any help is greatly apprechiated and thanks in advanced

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

They will run a GC/MS which is extremely accurate, and you know no mistake has been made. Oxycodone should be out of your system roughly 5 days after it wears off (below detectable levels -via urine), but Oxy's half life is about 4 hours, if you keep dividing a number by two you keep adding zeros before the decimal point, theoretically forever, what I'm saying is there will be a trace amount in your system at 10 days, it depends on where they want to mark a cut-off point at. Idk that it is a false positive, you admitted using, you probably have to face the music.

Thanks for the reply. Just to add something here. Today I tested positive again for opi and oxy. I do have a prescription for the opi as stated above. And today is day 17 since I took the oxy. So I'm guessing that the opi is just causing me false positives for oxy. Any more help will be greatly apprechiated.

Got results back today. It was indeed a false positive.

Good, well I hope you learned something and won't risk your freedom on an oxy binge again.

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    Good, well I hope you learned something and won't risk your freedom on an oxy binge again.
    Amen, Cats.

When we (1) have commit a crime that results in probation, (2) require extensive drug testing to stay out of jail (3) are taking 10/500 hydrocodone routinely (4) have taken oxycodone on top of the hydrocodone and then (5) panicked at the thought of a drug test (that we KNEW was coming, but still we had use drugs first) -- well -- it sure looks like we've got a far bigger problem than just justifying a 'false positive' on our drug tests...

You may want to take heed of where you are headed, Pman. Just a word of caution from one who has been in similar shoes. God bless.

terry120635 is offline Junior Member

what does that mean false positive?

Simply put it means the test result turned up positive and was wrong for whatever reason, for example, poppy seeds on a bun use to show a false positive for opiates.