Has NEURONTIN rotted anyone else's teeth?
    brezabeck is offline New Member

Default Has NEURONTIN rotted anyone else's teeth?

I am so frustrated and angry about Neurontin. I took it in 2002-2003 for nerve damage in my leg due to a back surgery and started having teeth problems. The previous year my teeth were just fine and I had them worked on and everything was great. One year after taking Neurontin, I went to my dentist and he was shocked because at least 10 of my teeth had become rotten. He has had several patients that take Neurontin and their teeth have rotted also. It is 2009 and I have 4 of my own teeth left. I have spent at least $60 thousand dollars on my teeth in the last 4 years. I do know that the class action suit is being honored now. I want to sue Pfizer but no lawyer will take the case, because they can't specifically say that it was the Neurontin. Has anyone else had a problem like this.

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

Iwas on it for two years and haven't had any problems with my teeth.

seppie is offline New Member

I was on it for a year and never had any issue with my teeth, have you asked your doctor about this?

sat69 is offline New Member

Default Orig replied to the wrong thread...

Hello Jenn ~

I said OMG when I read your question ~ My doctor had me taking 3,600mg of Neurontin a day for 2-3 yrs (it might of been a little longer) I was also taking it for the same reason you were taking it..(leg/nerve pain) I had to stop taking it due to insurance issues...and the Neurontin itself would of cost me $1,200.00 for a 3 month supply.

I had regular dentist appointment for the normal wear and tear... then all of a sudden I had developed a cavities between each tooth...ALL of my teeth are rotting...my dentist told me that it is a VERY VERY common situation for those who have to take a lot of medications etc...and that pts end up having to pull all of their teeth out and getting dentures...she didn't state any specific med...yet that the doctors that prescribe the meds don't tell the pts what could happen...Lately, I've been very depressed about my teeth...and there is nothing I can do...at this time...I do not have dental insurance nor the funds...to fix them.

May I ask why you had to pay so much in fixing your teeth so far??? Is that the rate I'll be looking at too?

Jenn ~ I feel your pain...!! I hope I've help you a little... Let me know if I can help further...

Take care and Have a great day !!

sat

sriddle is offline New Member

Unhappy

I have a daughter that is on Neurontin as well. She also was at the dentist this year and had a cavity in EVERY tooth in her mouth. It happened over a period of a year because she has gone to the dentist every year for clean ups and check ups. This would make perfect sense. It is the only med she is on that others in the family are not. She is only 16 years old and healthy.

brownmorga is offline New Member

Default Me Too

Over the years I've done a good job taking care of my teeth. I've been on Gebapetin for about a year and a half and since that time my dental health has deteriorated rapidly. Had my third tooth pulled today and may very well lose a couple more in the coming month. My teeth have become extremely fragile and my gums a constant problem. I would be very interested to learn of any studies or other evidence that points to Gebapentin as the cause.

cwils is offline New Member

A friend of mine took Gabapentin for a year. She has had healthy teeth all her life and expected to die with them. She went to the dentist and ALL her teeth had rotted!!! They had also become stained (maybe with the caries in them?) until they were dark gray! She has been fitted for dentures and gone back 12 times to try to get them adjusted right. NO ONE told her this could happen! When something awful like this happens a lot, a patient needs told so they can weigh the cost >>. the benefit,see if there is a way to manage or prevent side effects, or look for alternatives. It is the responsibility of the healthcare provider to provide this info so the pt. can make an informed choice. And listing dry mouth is not enough on this baby-people ignore a lot of this-or chew ice cubes whatever--lots of drugs cause dry mouth --but i never heard of them doing this!! I would like to know if anyone knows who is doing the lawsuit as she might like to explore that option too.

Kamishatroester is offline New Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by brezabeck View Post
    I am so frustrated and angry about Neurontin. I took it in 2002-2003 for nerve damage in my leg due to a back surgery and started having teeth problems. The previous year my teeth were just fine and I had them worked on and everything was great. One year after taking Neurontin, I went to my dentist and he was shocked because at least 10 of my teeth had become rotten. He has had several patients that take Neurontin and their teeth have rotted also. It is 2009 and I have 4 of my own teeth left. I have spent at least $60 thousand dollars on my teeth in the last 4 years. I do know that the class action suit is being honored now. I want to sue Pfizer but no lawyer will take the case, because they can't specifically say that it was the Neurontin. Has anyone else had a problem like this.
    I am a 29 year old Mom of 2 boys. I use neurontin for my pain as well. I have been on it for over 2 years and I've had over 4 teeth pulled and 2 decay and my molars came in completely decayed and rotten all due to this medication. There's not much other meds I can take to help me. I need help finding out what to do about lawsuit I guess and also what do you do to help your situation? Thanks in advance! I'm looking to switch to Lyrica soon because of this.

Rence54 is offline New Member

Default A lot is so clear now...

I was another person that was taking 3600mg/day for several years and in that time, every one of my teeth started to rot and crack up. I'm still dealing with this and at one point i had an abscess so bad it literally almost killed me. it had formed in my lower jaw under my tongue and when i went to the ER they started using terms like "Imminently life threatening" because it could have forced my tongue up and back and blocked my airway.

Has this ever been brought to light? Do we have any recourse in this matter as it seems that it's not just a single isolated case?

johnbresnik is offline New Member

Default major dental decay from Gabapentin

`
    I have a nerve problem in my left foot and have been taking Gabapentin for over seven years to shut the pain down so I can sleep. Currently, I take at least nine 600 mg tablets a day (in the evening over a period of about 4 hrs). I've lost all my molars due to decay and I had excellent dental health before starting this med. Now it's going to cost me thousands (even in Mexico) to fix things so I can chew food again. I'm 77, so part of the problem could be from old age, but, from what I've read, this gabapentin is the problem. I'm supposed to get the nerve shut down in October - if it works then I'll quit the pills -- meantime, my teeth situation is a disaster.

Paul Hollis is offline New Member

Exclamation Yes

I was misdiagnosed with Chronic pain /fybromyalgia 1999 I was prescribed Neurontin / gabapentin for spinal nerve pain; I frequently had gum problems I was weaned off the drug 2011; I ended up with very fragile teeth with the least or slightest pressure I would lose a tooth because they would snap. eventually in 2014 I had my remaining teeth removed and had dentures supplied by my dentist. A recent MRI scan has revealed I now have developed cysts on my Kidneys; the professor who prescribed the drug only advised the side effect would be it would enhance my pain relief by distorting spinal nerve signals from my spinal surgical site to the brain. I was not advised of the known side effects but I do know from researching the drug I actually suffered many of them.

Hope my reply assists you with your question

regards Paul

bobwasson is offline New Member

After brain surgery and subsequent seizures I was put on several different anticonvulsant meds - when I was put on Neurontin (1600mg x day) my teeth started rotting away just weeks later. I asked my neurologist if this could be from that drug and he said it was not a known side effect. It makes me wonder if doctors are in the pocket of pharmaceutical companies or (hopefully) they just don't know. We need better and truly un-bias drug testing before doctors are allowed to distribute meds that so many of us know have these devastating side effects. Also, since my surgery I have been plagued with headaches for which I recently was prescribed "Lyrica"; which I now understand comes from Neurontin... the sad thing is that it is one of the few drugs that actually works - apart from opioids, which have their own self-contained 'life ruining' side effects -- and yes, the brittle/rotting tooth problem has returned just as I should have expected.. With all the money that goes to the pharma industry there must be a better way. Who knows, maybe we are among the industry's "acceptable losses"?