I'm wanting/needing to go off of my current dose of 2.5mg of methadone taken every 12
    Almost off is offline New Member

Default I'm wanting/needing to go off of my current dose of 2.5mg of methadone taken every 12

I've been on 75-50 Fentanyl, 20mgs of, oxycodne (and other various medications for insomnia and fibromyalgia like Seroquel, Cymbalta, Xanex, Lunesta, Kyrica, Nurotin...) for 13 years. (Pain medications came about 10 years ago) In October of 2016 I began going off Seroquel and other meds and went through severe WD and had a couple months of zero sleep for periods of 2 weeks straight as well as1 week straight at a time. In November I went from 50 to 25 Fentanyl and 20mgs of oxycodone weening off to lower doses whenever I felt stable and strong enough again. Needless to say I think the worst is behind me and it was hell at time. In March 2917 I went completely off of 8 Fentanyl and 10mgs Oxycodne and was put on 5mgs of Methadone every 12 hours.
    I'm currently on 2.5mgs of Methadone every 12 hours but I'm ready to drop that. My doctor (which barely assists me) wants me to take or every 24 hours but I feel like I'd rather cut that in half every 12 hours >>. taking it less often. What are your thoughts on this?
    I currently start to feel WD an hour prior to or into an hour out and I've come so far and I'm getting quality life back and have been hiking and doing things I haven't done in o e.g. A decade so I'm not wanting to feel sick all the time. If I were to just stop cold turkey at this point how long should I feel WD and to what extent?
    Thanks so much for any recommendations or guidance!!!!
    Almost off

Error corrections:
    I've been on 75-50 Fentanyl, 20mgs of, oxycodne (and other various medications for insomnia and fibromyalgia like Seroquel, Cymbalta, Xanex, Lunesta, Lyrica, Nurotin...) for 13 years. (Pain medications came about 10 years ago) In October of 2016 I began going off Seroquel and other meds and went through severe WD and had a couple months of zero sleep for periods of 2 weeks straight as well as1 week straight at a time. In November I went from 50 to 25 Fentanyl and 20mgs of oxycodone weening off to lower doses whenever I felt stable and strong enough again. Needless to say I think the worst is behind me and it was hell at times. In March 2017 I went completely off of 8 Fentanyl and 10mgs Oxycodne and was put on 5mgs of Methadone every 12 hours.
    I'm currently on 2.5mgs of Methadone every 12 hours but I'm ready to drop that. My doctor (which barely assists me) wants me to take it every 24 hours but I feel like I'd rather cut that in half every 12 hours ... taking it less often instead of taking it and letting it wear off and then putting the same dose back into my system (that doesn't make sense to me).

What are your thoughts on this?

I currently start to feel WD an hour prior to or into an hour out and I've come so far and I'm getting quality life back and have been hiking and doing things I haven't done in decades so I'm not wanting to feel sick all the time. If I were to just stop cold turkey at this point how long should I feel WD and to what extent?
    Thanks so much for any recommendations or guidance!!!!
    Almost off

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello almost off,welcome to the forum. Are you taking 5mg a day or ml per day. Methadone has a long half life. It stays in your system for days before symptoms of wds begin. depending on length of time used and amount. I was taking 10-15 10 mg of methadone a day plus 10-15 8mg diluads. I quit cold turkey it was hell, but I stayed strong through the wd's. You have to really want this for yourself. Let us know what you decide, there's plenty of support here. Stay strong for today..

It's a 5mg pill... I got down to 2.5 for a month and I just cut that in half to 1.25 the past two days. Yes, I want off and would go quicker if I was able. So far I'm getting headaches, some irritability, and only getting an average of 5 hours broken sleep at night. I take hikes when I can but it's not always easy getting out due to just feeling like >>>> at times. I do have periods of feeling pretty good but it only lasts a little while.
    When I was on the 2.5mgs I was would take it every 12 hours but since I've cut that in half I can go about 10 hours before feeling really bad.
    I've been given Clonidine HCL 0.1 but don't take it as it doesn't seem to help and I don't want to add more to the mix. I do have .25 of xanex to take twice a day when needed other than that I don't take anything. I find that hot baths with epsom salt helps a lot and I'm drinking plenty of water as well as eating healthy fruits and vegetables and healthy foods. I don't have the best appetite due to nausea but eating small amounts at a time seems to help.
    I also take supplements such as probiotic, B12, magnesium .... I've always taken them and read they help.

Thanks so much for your reply... any support and guidance would be appricated as I don't get much.

At what point should I go off of this and how long should I stay at this dose? How long will WD symptoms last and how long do my past pain meds and the current methadone stay in my system?

Please feel free to ask me anything I'm not clear on.
    Thanks so very much, Almost off
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.