Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brooderfun
Insomnia issue
    jreeds26 is offline New Member

Default Insomnia issue

Hello all. I have had some recent insomnia and could really use some advice and/or help/support.

I recently started out a new job at Fed Ex and have been nervous and anxious of taking on the new job. I also recently had some life changes. New gf, new apartment. Since about 3 weeks ago, when I started, my sleep has been terrible.

Quick background info:
    -I used to be on lexapro @ 5mg from about 2013 - September of 2016. My anxiety seemed to have stopped, so I slowly cut down and eventually off of lexapro.
    -I also have .25mg xanax prescribed to help with anxiety as needed.
    -Also have 25mg Hydroxyzine to help with anxiety/sleep.

I should probably note I do like to have about 1-3 light beers a night, just being honest.

Although I have been off the lexapro for about 4 months, I started slowly taking xanax to help me get through the initial stress of my new job. Next thing I know- about a week later, I'm on xanax daily, and my sleep has been out of whack. I'm not sure what the cause is anymore. Stress and/or the xanax, idk.

I saw my doctor and she recommended to get on the lexapro again. She said start at 5mg for 3 days, then go to 10mg. The last time I was on lexapro, starting at 5mg was way too much too quick for me. It made me feel high and euphoric. Anyways, I started at 2.5mg every other for 4 days, then went to 5mg, the next two days. Since I started the lexapro like 5-6 days ago, I've felt so "high", I ESPECIALLY, haven't been able to sleep. At this point, I am not sure what is causing the insomnia, but I can't seem to sleep, at all.

I have 10mg Ambien prescribed for situations like this, but it usually only works every once in a blue moon. I took that 3 days in a row last week and maybe got 3.5 hours of sleep on it each night I took 10mg of it. So I am scared to keep taking it.

I guess I am not sure what I am asking, but has anyone ever had experience with this or can relate? Also, would anyone recommend something that may help me? I'm about ready to seriously drink like 5 beers and see if that helps get to sleep. ( I still usually drink 2 nightly).

I would appreciate ANY help/feedback.

Thank you

Jordan

camryn12 is offline New Member

I often get into difficulties to sleep every night. And I opt for use some drops of lavender oil to massage my forehead as well as drink a glass of warm sugar-free milk before going to bed. Though the sleep problem is still, I feel much better now.
    In my opinion, drugs is not good choice for insomnia. I recommend you try some home remedies instead.

Merriegold is offline New Member

Default lavender as alternative

hi there...how long have you been using lavender? thanks

drooselynn is offline New Member

I got problems to sleep too
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Brooderfun is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by camryn12 View Post
    I often get into difficulties to sleep every night. And I opt for use some drops of lavender oil to massage my forehead as well as drink a glass of warm sugar-free milk before going to bed. Though the sleep problem is still, I feel much better now.
    In my opinion, drugs is not good choice for insomnia. I recommend you try some home remedies instead.
    That's a great suggestion, I will try it out too.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brooderfun View Post
    That's a great suggestion, I will try it out too.
    Love, love, love lavender!!! I also rub my forehead with it at night and I also have a diffuser that sits near my bed with some lavender essential oil in it. I swear by lavender and it's the best aroma in the world--at least my world. Well, maybe chocolate chip cookies in the oven are a close second but they don't do much for sleep.

Sounds like the prescription stuff you've been given isn't all that helpful so don't try and force it. It's always better to try natural remedies. Switching up different prescriptions is just a bad idea all around. At some point if things change and you begin to sleep better, how the heck are you going to know what's making the difference. We go to the doctor when we need help with something but being a recovering addict, I now hate that doctors are so quick to pull out their script pad and prescribe away. I do understand that there are circumstances that this can't be avoided but really....these days I'm willing to try any earthy-crunchy method before I'll resort to a pill. Besides, once our bodies get accustomed to relying upon a pill to be able to sleep it's not so easy to just stop and hope that we're fixed and won't have sleep issues anymore and our reliance upon sleep aides happens real quick. If there's no choice, well there's no choice because we obviously need sleep but I'd try just about anything before resorting to a prescription for sleep. I might add here too that any benzo, xanex, etc is a dangerous and poor choice for sleep. They are mighty addictive and it happens fast and once that happens, it's a very slow process to get off of them. Not worth it!

Peace,

Cat

JesseThunder is offline New Member

Similar problem. I do have severe insomia. Just prior to this, I replied to a topic about the options of solutions for sleep. I will do best recommendation for you.

Years ago, I've been on Lexapro off and on, however I was never sure if it was helping with my major depression. Could you clarify if your sleep improved when off of Lexapro or about the same? For now, I am on Cymbalta.

Ambien is good for falling asleep, but has a very short peak half-life with lingering. I recommend a combination in addition to Ambien. Try taking Trazodone 100mg (for depression and sedative) or Restoril 30mg with Ambien. I use all 3 together.

You can reduce the use of Xanax by taking Vistaril 50mg or 100mg about 3 to 4 times daily. Vistaril is used for stress and tensions. It can also help boost meds, such as Xanax (may feel sleepy, at least more relaxed). You can take Vistaril with Ambien or if you change/add other sleep meds, use Vistaril together.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-05-2018 at 03:25 AM.