• 1 Post By Greg1786
  • 2 Post By Greg1786
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Greg1786
Long term suboxone user struggling with taper at 2mg
    Greg1786 is offline New Member

Default Long term suboxone user struggling with taper at 2mg

Hi guys and girls,
    Ive been on 16mg per day of suboxone for about 5 years. Several months ago my wife and I found out she is pregnant with our first child due in may of 2018! So I made myself a promise I'd be clean from the subs before my baby is born. Anyhow I'm a 32 year old male and my job keeps me very active during the day. I've successfully tapered from 16 down to 2mg over the last few months no problem, very very minimal wd symptoms. However 2mg has been a whole different story. I've mever stayed at a single dose between tapering longer than 7 days some as short as 5 days. I started noticing,around day 3 or 4 I wasn't feeling so well at 2mg. By day 5 and 6 it had gotten pretty rough and I'm on day 11 now which seems,crazy to me. Today has been slightly better than yesterday. Is this normal or what? I feel like,I'm freaking,for,no reason and I want so badly to continue to my next taper 1.5mg but know if I do that it'll just get worse. I think I just need some advice/ support from those of you in the know to help,me realize its all part of the process. Thanks in advance
    -G

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Greg welcome to the forum. Wow congratulations tapering from such a high amount of subs. Hang in there someone will be by to give you suggestions moving forward.

GoodDaysAhead is offline Member

Hey Greg, welcome. You have some time...no need to rush it. Imo, I would go back up slightly and stabilize before continuing the taper. Everyone is different and you may need a few extra days between each drop. Good luck and congrats on soon becoming a father!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1786 View Post
    Hi guys and girls,
    Ive been on 16mg per day of suboxone for about 5 years. Several months ago my wife and I found out she is pregnant with our first child due in may of 2018! So I made myself a promise I'd be clean from the subs before my baby is born. Anyhow I'm a 32 year old male and my job keeps me very active during the day. I've successfully tapered from 16 down to 2mg over the last few months no problem, very very minimal wd symptoms. However 2mg has been a whole different story. I've mever stayed at a single dose between tapering longer than 7 days some as short as 5 days. I started noticing,around day 3 or 4 I wasn't feeling so well at 2mg. By day 5 and 6 it had gotten pretty rough and I'm on day 11 now which seems,crazy to me. Today has been slightly better than yesterday. Is this normal or what? I feel like,I'm freaking,for,no reason and I want so badly to continue to my next taper 1.5mg but know if I do that it'll just get worse. I think I just need some advice/ support from those of you in the know to help,me realize its all part of the process. Thanks in advance
    -G

Hello Greg -

Congratulations on the pregnancy. How exciting!

What you're experiencing is actually normal considering the time you've been on the subs (about 5 years) and the very high amounts (up to 16mgs) you've been previously taking. The sub causes several factors to our bodies. One is it slows breathing and suppresses our histamine levels. Another is it really messes with our digestive system. When you're taking large amounts of sub it covers up the issues at the time. As you reduce your dose lower and lower your breathing begins to get better and the digestive track begins to operate properly. Just like in your brain we have gabba receptors in our stomach. So what you're most likely experiencing is the return of all your bodily functions to a more normal state and this can produce some wd-like symptoms. It's like a shock to your system. The good news is that it will pass.

Keep doing what you're doing. Take it slow and steady right now with the last of the taper. Maybe take a solid week on each dose, even 10 days to 2 weeks is ok. It shouldn't be a race at htis point. Are you taking 1 daily dose or splitting it and taking 2 doses? If you're not I would suggest you split the 2mg and take 1mg in the am and mg about 8-10 hours later. Sometimes this can help ease those symptoms you're having.

So much of this can also be mental, or your head messing with you. You know in the back of your mind that you'll soon be off the sub for good and that can sometimes have a negative effect on things. What I did was to get mad at the sub, real mad, and tell myself over and over that no bad how severe, or how easy things were I was getting off the sub and that was all there was to it. And it worked. I begin to have a much more positive experience.

Stick with it Greg. You've done a fine job getting down from 16mg to where you are now at 2mg daily. That's impressive in itself!

Randy

Thank you so much for all the kind words everyone. @Randy....I'm taking it in one dose. Ive been very strict about it. No matter how rough the day was or how bad the wd symptoms have gotten ive taken that dose at 9pm on the dot. My wife sometimes when it is bad may say "its 845 babe I'm sure you'd be fine to take it." While I believe she is right, I don't want to give in to any temptations. I feel like doing so just reverts me back to when I was an addict. Just one more oxy blah blah blah.

One concern I'm having is running out of meds. Until this 2mg stint that has held me in place for 11 days I wasnt concerned at all because I was moving down so quickly. I have calculated it out 100 times and I know I should have more than enough but the worry is still there. I actually tried to get my Dr to help me taper but he wanted to keep me on subs indefinitely. So as I kept seeing him I was tapering and stashing meds to be safe. Right now I have 20 8mg strips left. If I taper off at the current rate of 25% every 7-10 days I should need no more than 6 of the remaining 20. Obviously it should be more than enough but I am just a worrisome person I suppose.

I look forward to being clean almost as much as I look forward to being a father! This >>>> has ruled my life for too long. I know any pain I am experiencing is only temporary just sometimes it gets thw best of me. I will keep coming here and posting because the support is so helpful. Anyway thanks for listening everyone have a good night!
    -G
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey Greg. Welcome! Your sub doctor experience Is pretty much par for the course. I was also a long time oxy/sub user. Subs at 16/mg day for 5 years. My doctor also saw subs as a Long term solution and never tried to taper or lower my dosage in 5 years. So I tapered myself over the course of 6 months. I made the jump a little over two months ago. From 1mg. Definitely wouldn't recommend it. Keep on that taper plan. It works. Just like you've been told it will help the lower you go with your w/d. What I did was had my fiancee hold my little sub friends and watch me dose so I wouldn't be tempted to take more than what I needed. Sounds like you have a great support system as well. Use it!!! They only want to see us succeed and be healthy. Congratulations on the bun in the oven by the way!! That's awesome!!! I cannot stress how important keeping a positive mindset is throughout this process. Drink tons of water/Gatorade as subs really dehydrate you. Have you seen the YouTube video from former member Harry Smooth? It shows you how to cut the subs into tiny slivers when you get lower in dosage so you get exactly the right dosage. Keep them in the foil fold it over and paperclip it. Then write the dosage on the outside in a Sharpe so you can tell which is which. That's about all I can tell you.

Post as much as you want or need to. It really helps!! Everyone here is amazing and they want nothing more than to help you on this journey. This is very doable and you have just the right mindset to get this done!! Follow your plan and everything will be fine. It's only temporary. Things are so much better than I could have ever hoped for, and I know I'm still in the early stages of my recovery but it feels so good!! Keep doing the next right thing!

Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thank you very much beef! Its unfortunate how reckless a lot of suboxone Dr's can be with prescribing the meds. With my Dr, there was no real treatment plan. Basically it was show up once a month on a Saturday morning, wait to be called back into a small office, b.s. with the Dr for 10 minutes and get a months worth of subs, wash, rinse, repeat. This went on for 5 years until a few months ago when I finally stopped showing up. The crazy part is that even though I was a patient for 5 years he didn't realize I had missed 2 straight appointments. It wasnt until the third month that I recieved a vmail Saturday afternoon from him saying he noticed I didn't make my apt today and was wondering where I was. Kind of a joke if you ask me.

On a more important note, today has been my best day so far. I didn't start noticing any wd symptoms until about 3pm. They started out as light chills and progressed into sweating, restlessness, and overall mild flu symptoms until about 7pm. At that point I had taken a hot shower and was making dinner for my wife and I. After the shower the symptoms hadnt completely gone away but they were VERY mild. They remained that way until I took my dose at 9pm. THIS IS EXCELLENT PROGRESS!!!! I feel so much better right now knowing I took a pretty nice step forward. I'm hoping over the next day or two I will really level off and have no recurring wd symptoms. If all goes as I hope it will, maybe ill be ready to drop to 1.5mg by Saturday or Sunday!

I have to admit that prior to coming to this forum a few days ago, I was feeling pretty bleak about my current state in the taper process. I just want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I absolutely have a wonderful support system in my wife and parents but the added support from you guys who have been where I am at makes all the difference in the world. I have always tried to keep a positive outlook since I started the taper plan and even though it waned slightly over the recebt week or so, you guys have helped renew that spark! Thanks again and ill keep everyone apprised moving forward! Have a wonderful thanksgiving everyone!
    -G
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Lol. That's about how my sub doc was. It was a "family practice" but most of the people there were either sub patients or there for pain pills. Same deal he would call me back look at my chart, ask me how I felt, give me my script, and wish me a "Super Deluxe" day. When I was tapering I made my last appt last me 3.5 months i think. But i totally agree it is rediculous. I'm glad you had a good day. You know your body. If you feel ready to go to 1.5mg do it!!! Just give your body time to stabilize in the process. Once you get to 1mg you should start dosing once a day. I always dosed in the am. But your choice. If you're used to dosing in the pm do your thing.

I've only been here for a little over two months like I said. But without this place and all my amazing new friends I'm very confident I wouldn't have made it this far. I stumbled here on day 11 in the midst of horrible w/d hoping, praying that someone had some magic potion or secret to just make all this stop. Guess what there isn't any. :-( But what I did find is so much better. Friendship, accountability, caring, and giving back. Everything is brighter, better, more vibrant. It's like I had blinders on. I couldn't believe how numb I was. That first time I felt real joy, saw the fall leaves change, and had a real good belly laugh. Made me realize that this place and these people really save lives. It truly is amazing. I journaled so to speak on my thread for the first month and a half or so. I still post there almost every day, but now its about stuff other than whining about sleep or the lack thereof, crushing depression, etc. We joke, laugh, and talk about produce if you can believe it. When I first got here I was too caught up in my own pain to realize that people were actually laughing and having a good time on here.

Anyways that's about it for my ramble this morning. Just wanted to come in and wish you luck on your taper. Although I don't think you'll need it. You got this!!! Just stick to your plan, and keep doing the next right thing. I can tell you for a fact it is sooooo much better clean.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with the family.
    Beef

Its been a few weeks since I updated my progress. I ended up staying at 2mg for quite some time, much longer than I anticipated. Though I would have liked to move down sooner, I felt it necessary to get to a point where I was 100% comfortable with how I felt mentally and physically. So today is my first day going down.

I took 1.5mg this evening at 9pm. Its been 1 hour since I took the dose and I feel exactly the same as I did at 2mg. Obviously I'm well aware that it takes days to feel the change in the medicine as it slowly leaves my body. I am however hopeful that I will have an easier time with this move than I did with 2mg. Honestly that's mainly the reason I waited so long. I physically was well enough about a week ago to take this step, but I thought it would serve me better going forward if I took a little more time. I will track my progress over the coming days and update as necessary. Even if the rest of the taper goes perfectly, which I know it won't, I will still update my progress. I feel it is important to share our stories no matter how good or bad, as it is possible it could help another struggling with their addiction to suboxone. Thanks for all the help and support. Take care everyone!
    -G

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1786 View Post
    Its been a few weeks since I updated my progress. I ended up staying at 2mg for quite some time, much longer than I anticipated. Though I would have liked to move down sooner, I felt it necessary to get to a point where I was 100% comfortable with how I felt mentally and physically. So today is my first day going down.

I took 1.5mg this evening at 9pm. Its been 1 hour since I took the dose and I feel exactly the same as I did at 2mg. Obviously I'm well aware that it takes days to feel the change in the medicine as it slowly leaves my body. I am however hopeful that I will have an easier time with this move than I did with 2mg. Honestly that's mainly the reason I waited so long. I physically was well enough about a week ago to take this step, but I thought it would serve me better going forward if I took a little more time. I will track my progress over the coming days and update as necessary. Even if the rest of the taper goes perfectly, which I know it won't, I will still update my progress. I feel it is important to share our stories no matter how good or bad, as it is possible it could help another struggling with their addiction to suboxone. Thanks for all the help and support. Take care everyone!
    -G

Hi Greg!

Thanks for the update. Hope you will continue to update as promised as I’m sure there are many following your progress. There are those that aren’t members that find a members journey that closely resembles their own and cling to it on a daily basis. So please journal your days and how it’s going.

You have a real good understanding of this taper and that’s great. That will help you immensely. Let us know if something pops up that you’re unsure of.

You will know when it’s time to reduce. Your body will become stable on the 1.5mg after several days and you’ll be ready to reduce again. You know the drill.

Anyway, glad you posted and we’re looking forward to the rest of your journey, and very excited for the day when you make your final jump.

Take care my friend,
    Randy

Hey randy! I can appreciate completely what you wrote about a non member following a members journey, using it as a tool to help them through their own. Before I became a member I had frequented this forum many many nights for years. The truth is I have wanted to get off suboxone for a very long time but either found myself scared, uneducated, or just lacking the will power to get started. I found the answer to all three of those issues right here.

The only reason I am so educated on this taper and so confidebt is because I read so many stories on here of people just like me that found the strength to get clean. I find that there is so much negative stories out there regarding suboxone and the horrors of wd etc etc, but more recently I have come across more and more taper stories with brilliant endings and success. They are truly what gave me the will power to do so myself!

Today is my third dose at 1.5mg taken 1hr and 18minutes ago. I woke up this morning and prior to heading out for work, sat quietly with my cup of coffee and prepared myself mentally for a very possible rough day. To my delight and surprise I had quite a pleasant day all around. The ONLY wd I had to deal with was very mild sweats and they didn't even begin until about an hr and half before my scheduled dose! I know its technically only been 49 hrs into the 1.5 dose and there could still be trouble ahead but I feel great about where I am at! At my 2mg drop by the 2nd day I had already suffered far more wd symptoms so I'm holding out hope and belief that by taking the extra few weeks at 2mg, I managed to allow my body chance to adjust so this one wont be so rough!!!

As always I will update my progress as it occurs. I hope there is someone out there who is reading my journey and it is giving some hope and light to enable that person to take the leap to a clean lifestyle! Thank you again to every one for their kind words and support. Take care
    -G
    Beefaroni7272 and Randy35 like this.