Need Help
    liz3417 is offline New Member

Default Need Help

Hi. I was seeing a pain doctor, but I stopped because he made me feel like a drug seeker and wouldn't order xrays or mri either, he said they weren't necessary. He did suggest injections, which I have never had before and afraid of. He just wrote a rx for tyl #3 for a couple of months which helped a little. Last visit I told him they helped and he said he wasn't writing for meds any more. I almost asked him if I was in the wrong department or if he was a real pain doctor. I saw him twice. Now I'm hoping to find a doctor who doesn't make me uncomfortable. Right now I'm seeing a chiropractor and my insurance only covers for 6 visits. I asked him if he knew of any back pain doctors he could refer me to and he looked at me weird and said,"No!", he also said I didn't need an xray or mri, he still did his procedures on my back though. I think he should order an xray or mri before he starts messing with my back. I saw an Ortho doctor back in 2011 who said I had scoliosis, some artritis, and herniated disc after taking a regular back xray in his office. I couldn't continue to see him though because I'm disabled and can't drive and his office is too far away. I'm afraid if I see another doctor I'll be accused of doctor shopping and I don't know what to do, but I feel like I need an advocate. I'm not sure what to do next.
    Still looking for good doc in PA.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/severe...se-721398.html

JadedKemist is offline New Member

I would change drs. The injections do work for some people but didn't for me. Go someone who will order xrays, mri and go from there. U don't have any details about length of problem but if its a herniated disc, a round of steroids like prednisone may help. Drs messed around for 5yrs doing tests and treatments before finally found the problem on a CT myelogram. I had surgery but by then, the damage was done and my L4 nerve was perm damaged. I had to keep going back cuz i was in to much pain. I've had 5 neck/lower back surgeries all done by a Dr in central Ohio. He then referred me to pain management dr. If you are in a small town reluctance to prescribe may be from how others view it...if so try a bigger city.

I can understand a family Dr not wanting to prescribe meds but a pain management Dr shouldn't be reluctant, just cautious. Another option is to go back to same one.... if u were jus drug seeking you'd give up on him and go elsewhere. I have heard drs being reluctant to prescribe pain meds due to age or medical/physical conditions. Maybe the Dr you see fit your disability could refer you somewhere or write letter to pm Dr.

Hope this helps, Jade
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-30-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added info

JadedKemist is offline New Member

In future...adding more details to your title will probably elicit more responses. Too many threads to read ambiguous ones. Yours was most recent so I saw it. If you search on here you'll find good info going way back.