Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By V Clark
Negative reaction to Lyrica
  1. #1
    V Clark is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Negative reaction to Lyrica

    I posted a report on a very negative reaction I had when taking Lyrica for the first time. Negative enough not to want to try another tablet. I see that my comment was never post on the Lyrica list of comments. Do you only post the positive ones?
    That tablet gave me hallucinations, nightmares, vomiing and I forced myself to stay up all night to wait for the effect of it to wear off, as the nightmares were so bad I was afraid to fall asleep again. I thought I was losing my mind. It was extremely unpleasant.
    I cannot be the only person to have had problems with it surely?
    misskittynurse likes this.

  2. #2
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V Clark View Post
    I posted a report on a very negative reaction I had when taking Lyrica for the first time. Negative enough not to want to try another tablet. I see that my comment was never post on the Lyrica list of comments. Do you only post the positive ones?
    That tablet gave me hallucinations, nightmares, vomiing and I forced myself to stay up all night to wait for the effect of it to wear off, as the nightmares were so bad I was afraid to fall asleep again. I thought I was losing my mind. It was extremely unpleasant.
    I cannot be the only person to have had problems with it surely?

    I don't doubt your reaction to the drug. Most people do well with lyrica but that is beside the point. No one at this site would have purposely deleted your previous post. I have no idea what could have happened. But promise you no one deleted it because it was a negative post as you called it. Post it again if you like. Posts with cursing and vile language are often deleted. But other than that there are not many reasons why a post would purposely be deleted. Maybe someone else who has had similar lyrica problems will post. God bless.

  3. #3
    StephLuvsMichigan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Unhappy

    I TOO HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH LYRICA! IT MADE ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! MY HUSBAND SAID I WAS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON, I HAD BLACK OUTS, NITEMARES AND SEVERE MOOD SWINGS. I TOO REFUSE TO EVER TRY THIS MEDICINE AGAIN!

  4. #4
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephLuvsMichigan View Post
    I TOO HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH LYRICA! IT MADE ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! MY HUSBAND SAID I WAS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON, I HAD BLACK OUTS, NITEMARES AND SEVERE MOOD SWINGS. I TOO REFUSE TO EVER TRY THIS MEDICINE AGAIN!



    I am just curious as I don't doubt what you are saying. I am asking for my own benefit. What dose were you taking when you had this experience and for what condition was it prescribed? Thanks for your reply. God bless.

  5. #5
    StephLuvsMichigan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I am just curious as I don't doubt what you are saying. I am asking for my own benefit. What dose were you taking when you had this experience and for what condition was it prescribed? Thanks for your reply. God bless.
    i was prescribed 50mg to be taken 4 times a day. i was given this medicine as a last resort for cronic back pain. i had one back surgery 8 yrs ago, and was trying to avoid another. after my bad reaction, i did cortisone injections in my si joints and directly into my spinal column. i finally ended up having a lumbar fusion in dec of 07 at the l-4 l-5. they placed 4 titanium pins, 4 screws and a metal plate in. my back will never be normal, but it is one hundred times better, and i am able to go without the oxycodone except in rate ocassions. but then in feb of this year i was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis and that is whole other story, along with a whole list of other meds & problems. i have been reading this web page, and robert you seem to know ALOT and would like to converse with you and get your opinion about a few things. i am at the end of my rope with my current treatment and dont know what to do. thanks in advance

  6. #6
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephLuvsMichigan View Post
    i was prescribed 50mg to be taken 4 times a day. i was given this medicine as a last resort for cronic back pain. i had one back surgery 8 yrs ago, and was trying to avoid another. after my bad reaction, i did cortisone injections in my si joints and directly into my spinal column. i finally ended up having a lumbar fusion in dec of 07 at the l-4 l-5. they placed 4 titanium pins, 4 screws and a metal plate in. my back will never be normal, but it is one hundred times better, and i am able to go without the oxycodone except in rate ocassions. but then in feb of this year i was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis and that is whole other story, along with a whole list of other meds & problems. i have been reading this web page, and robert you seem to know ALOT and would like to converse with you and get your opinion about a few things. i am at the end of my rope with my current treatment and dont know what to do. thanks in advance



    I appreciate your reply. The reason I was asking is that I have seen lots of people do very well with lyrica for nerve related pain. I was curious if you had been prescribed the proper medication for your condition. We all know I think that sometimes drs can make a mistake and RX the wrong thing. They are human too. I can't determine for sure if it was an outright obvious mistake but it was evidently the wrong medication at least for you. I hate that you had such a bad experience.

    I am here if you want to ask something. If it's a simple question just do it here. If it will be a subject you want to refer back to you should start a new thread in the appropriate category so others might be able to add something as well. God bless.

  7. #7
    StephLuvsMichigan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default

    thanks robert. i will start a myasthenia gravis thread in the approp. catergory so i can pick ur brain a litl. thanks so much

  8. #8
    StephLuvsMichigan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Post Myasthenia Gravis

    Robert- i started a thread in the general catergory called Cellcept for MG. i would like to pick ur brain there. thanks so much

  9. #9
    marianlock is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephLuvsMichigan View Post
    I TOO HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH LYRICA! IT MADE ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! MY HUSBAND SAID I WAS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON, I HAD BLACK OUTS, NITEMARES AND SEVERE MOOD SWINGS. I TOO REFUSE TO EVER TRY THIS MEDICINE AGAIN!
    I was prescribed 25 mg. 4 times a day and got a little nerve twinges and skipped the one at lunch. My doctor said skip lunch dosage and continue with the other two that night. I wish I'd never taken them. Every nerve in my body feels sensitive and fire signals all over my body like tics. That's what I was taking it for in the first place - nerve sensitivity! I am still aching like crazy and have not been able to sleep in four nights now. Can't touch any place on my body without nerve pain. What in the world? Please let me know if you have had any response like this. I will never take this again. I only took four of them and am about to go nuts. Today is the fourth day and the drug should be out of my system. The jerking has mainly stopped but I still burn all over.

  10. #10
    gabby2870 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I too had a horrible reaction to Lyrica. I started taking it and was nauseated instantly, felt like my fibro was worse and like I was coming down with the flu--body aches the whole nine yards. I called my doctor's office and they lowered my dose but told me I needed to tough it out for a week. Each day, I got dramatically worse. I became a walking zombie--literally! I husband was so worried at one point, he was ready to take me to the hospital. I would lay in bed, and tears would just >>>>>> down my face. I literally felt like my body was dieing--NO JOKE. I called my doctor's office on the 5th day and the nurse told me to stop the meds immediately. After 24 hours, my husband looked at me and said,"nice to have you back." It was a terrifying experience. And this all happened at Christmas with our 3 year old son at the time. A friend of mine also had the same type of bad reaction to Lyrica. I know it works wonders for other people and that is great. I wish it had for me. But I would never go near it again, even if I was begging for anything to stop my fibro pain.

  11. #11
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,677

    Default

    gabby .... most people do very well with Lyrica and a few don't. Most people do very well with pennicillin but it kills other people. No drug affects everyone in a good way. That's why we have to be our own advocates when it comes to a dr telling us to take something. If it doesn't work tell them you're not going to take it.

    I know about autoimmune problems. I have RA, Raynaud's Phenomenon, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, and also Fibro. So I realize your frustration. Drs want to give me pain pills. Yeah RIGHT!!! Fat chance of that happening to me again. I don't know your beliefs but I find God does for me what I can't do for myself. I still have pain everyday but I feel better about myself when I make my own decisions about not taking drugs others try to push on me. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  12. #12
    kaylalyn is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Lyrica is poison-very dangerous

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hi I joined just so I could respond to this thread.
    I am going to be honest here.
    I take benzodiazapines and have for 20 yrs(going to addiction clinic now to wean off and get my life bk)
    but Lyrica.Develeped neuropathy in my feet 1 yr ago,,,,I think the pain was more present after discontinuing an ssri.
    nonentheless 3 doctors gave me scrips for this drug.Even tho they knew I took benzos.they dont care.but even lyrica by itself is a poisonous evil drug.most anticonvulasnts are,,,but his one is horrific.
    so took it,in my pain desperation and as i recall had trouble getting on it but when my does reached 225 mgs(which is where it is now---drunk feeling,50lb wt gain-stomache trouble-and trouble walking-dry skin dry dry mouth!!!!urinary inf,,,teeth rotting on 225 mgs.Cant remeber words,,,and depression.I was not depressed to begin with but......so decided to taper off after 11 mos.OMG called phizer they say 1 week no prob,pharacist says 8 weeks.
    I drop 50 mg and am suicidally deopressed and I am dead serious.Hellish withdrawl.Wanted to kill myself hysterical crying.
    now went bk on hate the drugged feeling,so it will be also on the taper schedule.
    now heres the thing lyrica is basically gabapentin only stronger.and phizer was sued over gabapentin.it is not just me others have trouble getting off this too it is as bad as benzo withdrawl.The drug co wont tell u that.They want to sell more drugs and this one is for people with desperate pain,,,yes I can walk w/out pain but at what cost???my life?
    please dont take this it is evil and the worst drug I have ever been on.I would rather take morphine,benzos anything else but this.Itis the depression and suicidal thots that get me.I mean lyrica is now getting a black box warning like ad's.
    I am looking for something with less of a knarly side effect profile for the pain.still looking.You know I think 2 people actually committed suicide in the trials.
    Big Pharma.Bahh
    If you are 70 and will stay on the rest of your life okay but beware if u try to come offf of it.
    thanks for listening.
    kayla

  13. #13
    misskittynurse is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default Lyrica Hallucinations

    Hi I joined also to talk about my experience with Lyrica. I took one 50mg pill and had terrible hallucinations, before that I didn't realize it until later, but I was manic and hypersexual. I do not like the way this made me feel at all and I got online last night to see if anyone else felt this way.. and they did! I will not be continuing this medication. As a nurse, I knew that I had to report this reaction to the FDA which is easy to do online. I think maybe we should all be doing the same. Takes less than 5 minutes to do and maybe we can get this out in the open and not be only the 1% who has this reaction and they will take another look at this drug.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaylalyn View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hi I joined just so I could respond to this thread.
    I am going to be honest here.
    I take benzodiazapines and have for 20 yrs(going to addiction clinic now to wean off and get my life bk)
    but Lyrica.Develeped neuropathy in my feet 1 yr ago,,,,I think the pain was more present after discontinuing an ssri.
    nonentheless 3 doctors gave me scrips for this drug.Even tho they knew I took benzos.they dont care.but even lyrica by itself is a poisonous evil drug.most anticonvulasnts are,,,but his one is horrific.
    so took it,in my pain desperation and as i recall had trouble getting on it but when my does reached 225 mgs(which is where it is now---drunk feeling,50lb wt gain-stomache trouble-and trouble walking-dry skin dry dry mouth!!!!urinary inf,,,teeth rotting on 225 mgs.Cant remeber words,,,and depression.I was not depressed to begin with but......so decided to taper off after 11 mos.OMG called phizer they say 1 week no prob,pharacist says 8 weeks.
    I drop 50 mg and am suicidally deopressed and I am dead serious.Hellish withdrawl.Wanted to kill myself hysterical crying.
    now went bk on hate the drugged feeling,so it will be also on the taper schedule.
    now heres the thing lyrica is basically gabapentin only stronger.and phizer was sued over gabapentin.it is not just me others have trouble getting off this too it is as bad as benzo withdrawl.The drug co wont tell u that.They want to sell more drugs and this one is for people with desperate pain,,,yes I can walk w/out pain but at what cost???my life?
    please dont take this it is evil and the worst drug I have ever been on.I would rather take morphine,benzos anything else but this.Itis the depression and suicidal thots that get me.I mean lyrica is now getting a black box warning like ad's.
    I am looking for something with less of a knarly side effect profile for the pain.still looking.You know I think 2 people actually committed suicide in the trials.
    Big Pharma.Bahh
    If you are 70 and will stay on the rest of your life okay but beware if u try to come offf of it.
    thanks for listening.
    kayla

  14. #14
    misskittynurse is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you for posting this experience, I felt so alone when it was happening to me, but I got online read your post and breathed a sigh of relief that it would go away. You really saved my sanity last night. I had THE SAME things as you minus the vomiting.

  15. #15
    Rpritch is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I started Lyrica in late June '13 for nueropathy and was riding the cracker train by August ! This drug is pure evil..
    Delusional, blurred vision, heart problems, involuntary muscle twitching. Anxiety, vomiting,sweating like crazy. 3x daily 50mg . Depression and so delusional I lost my girlfriend because of frequent hallucinations & episodes of lost reality.
    Stopped 4 days ago after near physcotic break. Question is how long to completely ween off of this nightmare?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-14-2013 at 11:55 PM.

  16. #16
    kimosorio is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default Lyrica and nightmares

    I am wondering if it is giving my son nightmares also. He was talking about nightmares and a few days later I went to visit him at college and spent the night in the next room. I heard him screaming so I ran into his room and woke him up. He said he had another nightmare. I'm wondering if we should stop taking it. He is also taking Cymbalta and wonder if the two together could cause it.

  17. #17
    Barbaraliz is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default Very negative response to Lyrica

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I don't doubt your reaction to the drug. Most people do well with lyrica but that is beside the point. No one at this site would have purposely deleted your previous post. I have no idea what could have happened. But promise you no one deleted it because it was a negative post as you called it. Post it again if you like. Posts with cursing and vile language are often deleted. But other than that there are not many reasons why a post would purposely be deleted. Maybe someone else who has had similar lyrica problems will post. God bless.
    I had a negative response to Lyrica. I had the sudden onset of the symptoms of narcolepsy. I could not stay awake and would fall asleep in the middle of a sentence, waking a few minutes later, only to shortly fall asleep again. It was unnerving. I am not sure what the commonalities of the following drugs could be that cause this reaction tho Lyrica, Cymbalta, gabapentin, and suboxone all cause related responses. If anyone know what these drugs have in common, please post. ( i was totally off all opiates for over two weeks when i tried subuxone and i had an extreme reaction much like the one described in above post: hallcinations, altered sleep-wake state :as in not awake nor asleep... some weird suspended in-between..lasted about two hours). bh

  18. #18
    Mackcuff is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Unfortunately, I also had very negative side effects from Lyrica. Somnambulism, blackouts, and petit mal seizures this attributed to the loss of my job. After 3 months of treatment by a neurologist my employer wasn't comfortable due to the heavy machinery I was required to use. Once I was taken off of Lyrica and put on Gabapentin for my neuropathy all symptoms slowly stopped. Although I still have to deal with infrequent daliances of sleepwalking

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22