new to the site----hello everyone
    Flo-rida is offline New Member

Default new to the site----hello everyone

Reason I'm writing is because I have a question about a new med my doctor gave me today. First I have a very rare condition that less than .5 percent of the people in the world get. This condition caused me to lose one lung and also for a growth around 1 artery on my heart which closed it off. My one lung is at 80 percent function. I've had this for 10 years now and have been on opiates the entire time. My daily dose is 160 MG of oxycontin and 60 MG of vico dine. This has worked decent for all the years but I chose to work and I work hard and I work long hours. This is against all the doctors 11 of them that take care of me. In the last 4 weeks it's gotten to were it's very hard for me to get through the work day. Ause of the chest pain but I force myself and hide the pain. Then when home I'm in the bed for 2 days trying not to move so I don't hurt. Went to the doctor today and it's a new doctor as my old doctor has left the practice. The new doctor gave me refills of my normal meds but also a script for 75mcg fentanyl patches to wear for 2 days at a time. Will these patches help with the pain and allow me to get through the long work day and also allow me to be up and around on the weekends with my wife?

Thank you

Hello Flo-rida

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. You're already a hero for many. To live with only one lung and to still be able to work hard is very admirable. You're the epitome of a survivor, and I respect you for it. You're a very inspirational person.
    Please don't try to hide your pains. It's good to be brave but we must exercise bravery cautiously for sometimes it can be misinterpreted with negligence.

Regarding your new medication, What I know about Fentanyl patch is it's a narcotic pain medicine that is used for managing sever chronic pain and it should only be use by patients who is already regularly taking other narcotic pain medicines and is tolerant to its effects. It follows a very strict regimen and can have a lot of side-effects so make sure that you follow exactly what the doctor tells you. But as to the effectiveness of it I have no idea. I hope you feel well soon. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

mylastshot911 is offline New Member

Just went off patches after 12Years...hardest thing i ever did.. worked about a second i was too afraid to go off it that i stayed on for 12years...my body was addicted but i wasnt and i think only someone in our painful lives can understand that statement.. i can only say to u that that patch controlled my life and not because it worked because it didnt it was my fear of withdrawl because i have never been addicted to anything.. i still have access to and never would take it again....be very careful... but there r things that work for some of us and other things that dont.. i have taken the strongest pain meds...twelve years...but only thing that ever relieved a lil for myself only thing that ever made my life manageable is one thing i now have to get off street til i get a new doc.. good luck truly... b careful..