Nuvigil
    K_Hansen is offline New Member

Default Nuvigil

After 7+ years, I finally got annoyed enough of always being sleepy and exhausted. I had tests done thinking it was from an iron deficiency, or a hormone imbalance (e.g. over/under active thyroid). To my surprise, I was diagnosed two weeks ago with narcolepsy. I admit that I still find the diagnosis and the medication somewhat hard to accept, but I am willing to explore my options to get more out of life and to be more present.

With that said, I am on week 2 of Nuvigil (250mg) and so far I have not noticed any real improvement. The first 3 days I had intense headaches and I averaged 4 hours of sleep each night. However, there was a noticeable increase in energy. Unfortunately, the honeymoon stage wore off after day 3. Now, I might get a spurt of energy for an hour or two, but I honestly get more from an energy drink. In addition to taking the medication, I am finding that I am still having to drink 2 - 3 caffeinated beverages to make it through the work day. Also, I have noticed that I find most human beings annoying when I consider myself a generally content and happy person. So now I am not only tired, but I am also irritable (as the hubby kindly pointed out).

I am not sure how I feel about being medicated the rest of my life, especially on a potentially addictive drug. Based on my observations and majority of the reviews I've read, it appears that there are more cons than pros to continuing. I am trying to hang in there for 2 more weeks to give Nuvigil a fair try, but I have a feeling I will be exploring other options soon. Moral of the story is that I am a working mom, and I literally do not have time in the day to take naps. To those that have had the opposite experience taking Nugivil, I say lucky you and congrats on finding your path to being your better self. My hope is that someone that had a similar response to Nuvigil will give me ideas of what worked for them.

auntniknik is offline New Member

Default I couldn't survive without Nuvigil!

[FONT="Arial"] K_Hansen, I am just seeing your post! I'm pretty new to drugs.com and am still finding my way around. I have never been to this site before. I am very sorry you aren't having a positive response to this wonderful drug! I have been on it for over 2 years with awesome results! I was falling asleep in my food, while driving, and in the middle of a conversation. My doctor put me on Nuvigil (low) dose and I didn't find much difference, but when he increased my symptoms all went away. I also have Fibromyalgia and I've noticed I've had fewer spells with fatigue. Before Nuvigil I would have waves of fatigue that would last from one day to a week, they were so bad I couldn't lift my head off the pillow and I felt like my body weighed 2 tons! I could hear my husband say something to me, but it seemed like he was at the end of a tunnel and I just couldn't get to him to answer. It got so bad that I was missing out on things I loved. I was church pianist and the music leader said he looked at me to start a new song and he thought I was asleep, but I didn't miss a note. I didn't tell him I was asleep, but the organist was playing that introduction so I was good and came in on time. That happened again one night when we had guitar, drums and piano with no organ, but the drums were close enough to me that he could wake me without distraction. With Nuvigil I don't have to worry about this! There is no more falling asleep and I do not take naps! I have always had trouble sleeping and I
    cannot take sleeping pills, as they seem to have the opposite effect on me, I take .5
    Xanax, the only thing that has allowed me sleep for over 30 years. Since I take Nuvigil I have to take the Xanax earlier than when I'm ready to go to sleep or I lay
    there for what seems like forever. I take it about an hour or so before I'm going to
    bed and everything for me is going so much better in that respect! I do wish you
    success with what I consider my wonder drug. I do not have the energy as I did
    when I first started it, but I don't think it is designed to give you energy. It is doing a
    fantastic job of what it is supposed to do, keep me from falling asleep in restaurants,
    playing the piano at church, driving or just a normal conversation! I love this
    medication! It has to some degree given me my freedom back because my
    husband had take n the keys to my dear old beloved Mercedes! Now I'm able to
    drive around our small town, no Intersate driving unless he is with me, but that beats
    no driving at all! Please stick with this medication long enough to give it a fair chance! I will be the first to agree that what works well for one doesn't always help someone else, so if you find something else that you think is better let me know in case I need a back up. You never know when a drug will suddenly be unavailable, the formula will change or after a while just stops helping you.
    Best of luck to you
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Default I couldn't survive without Nuvigil!

[FONT="Arial"] K_Hansen, I am just seeing your post! I'm pretty new to drugs.com and am still finding my way around. I have never been to this site before. I am very sorry you aren't having a positive response to this wonderful drug! I have been on it for over 2 years with awesome results! I was falling asleep in my food, while driving, and in the middle of a conversation. My doctor put me on Nuvigil (low) dose and I didn't find much difference, but when he increased my symptoms all went away. I also have Fibromyalgia and I've noticed I've had fewer spells with fatigue. Before Nuvigil I would have waves of fatigue that would last from one day to a week, they were so bad I couldn't lift my head off the pillow and I felt like my body weighed 2 tons! I could hear my husband say something to me, but it seemed like he was at the end of a tunnel and I just couldn't get to him to answer. It got so bad that I was missing out on things I loved. I was church pianist and the music leader said he looked at me to start a new song and he thought I was asleep, but I didn't miss a note. I didn't tell him I was asleep, but the organist was playing that introduction so I was good and came in on time. That
    happened again one night when we had guitar, drums and piano with no organ, but
    the drums were close enough to me that he could wake me without distraction. With
    Nuvigil I don't have to worry about this! There is no more falling asleep and I do not
    take naps! I have always had trouble sleeping and Icannot take sleeping pills, as they seem to have the opposite effect on me, I take .5 Xanax, the only thing that has allowed me sleep for over 30 years. Since I take Nuvigil I have to take the Xanax earlier than when I'm ready to go to sleep or I lay there for what seems like forever. I take it about an hour or so before I'm going to bed and everything for me is going so much better in that respect! I do wish you success with what I consider my wonder drug. I do not have the energy as I did when I first started it, but I don't think it is designed to give you energy. It is doing a fantastic job of what it is supposed to do, keep me from falling asleep in restaurants, playing the piano at church, driving or just a normal conversation! I love this medication! It has to some degree given me my freedom back because my husband had take n the keys to my dear old beloved Mercedes! Now I'm able to drive around our small town, no Intersate driving unless he is with me, but that beats no driving at all! Please stick with this medication long enough to give it a fair chance! I will be the first to agree that what works well for
    one doesn't always help someone else, so if you find something else that you think is
    better let me know in case I need a back up. You never know when a drug will suddenly be unavailable, the formula will change or after a while just stops helping
    you.
    Best of luck to you in the quest for better health! Know your own body, know what works best for you and especially what doesn't work for you personally! Seek the best diet, exercise, natural >> prescription medications that you can find to help survive the distraction of having a disease that has no cure, but can be managed with the right information and guidance! I have been on this journey for over 30
    years! Find a doctor you work well with! He needs to know every medication that goes in you mouth regardless how insignificant you think it is! You never know how something really small could be keeping one of your medications from working properly! Success to you!

Question No clue?

I apologize to all for two almost identical post. It gave me the option to edit, but I had no idea it would print both! I am obviously new to this site, but also to the computer! I have no idea what all the icons on this office program mean. I don't even have an office program. I'm 58 and have worked in Real Estate an Insurance all my life, however, owning the company I had a secretary. I am learning and it is really a blast, a little embarrassing when your 3 year old grand daughter knows more about some things on the computer than I do!