Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SnickeringWicked
Question About Blood Testing
    SnickeringWicked is offline New Member

Exclamation Question About Blood Testing

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place. So, a friend of mine, who refuses to ask for help themself, recently was convinced to see a doctor about their severe depression and anxiety. The doctor prescribed them with Lexapro 10mg once daily and Xanax .5mg as needed. The doctor wants to conduct a blood test this week to check on the liver, so I've been told. But my friend is very nervous about this because they have been using oxycodone that was not prescribed for a while now. They typically take between 20mg a day in two 10mg tablets (with 325mg acetaminophen I think) taken at the same time.

My question is this. Will the oxycodone show up in this type of blood test? Or will it just possibly show elevated liver numbers that could be attributed to acetaminophen? Also, does the doctor need to test specifically for oxycodone in order to find it in the blood? My friend is thinking about waiting 24 hours off the pills before the blood test just in case, but is stubborn and doesn't want to have to if they don't need to. They have had chronic pain for a while after a sport's injury and refuse to get it checked and be seen by a doctor for it. Just getting mentally checked out was a big step for them.

So what's your advice? And thank you in advance!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnickeringWicked View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place. So, a friend of mine, who refuses to ask for help themself, recently was convinced to see a doctor about their severe depression and anxiety. The doctor prescribed them with Lexapro 10mg once daily and Xanax .5mg as needed. The doctor wants to conduct a blood test this week to check on the liver, so I've been told. But my friend is very nervous about this because they have been using oxycodone that was not prescribed for a while now. They typically take between 20mg a day in two 10mg tablets (with 325mg acetaminophen I think) taken at the same time.

My question is this. Will the oxycodone show up in this type of blood test? Or will it just possibly show elevated liver numbers that could be attributed to acetaminophen? Also, does the doctor need to test specifically for oxycodone in order to find it in the blood? My friend is thinking about waiting 24 hours off the pills before the blood test just in case, but is stubborn and doesn't want to have to if they don't need to. They have had chronic pain for a while after a sport's injury and refuse to get it checked and be seen by a doctor for it. Just getting mentally checked out was a big step for them.

So what's your advice? And thank you in advance!
    It will all depend upon what the doctor orders. A routine panel won't check for the presence of drugs. If the most your friend is taking is 20mg of oxy a day, it's doubtful that it would cause increased liver enzymes. If he/she is supplementing the oxy with over the counter Tylenol, then the combination may have had a negative effect. If this doctor suspects that your friend is abusing any medication (oxy or otherwise) he could order a full drug screen to see what's going on. If his doctor just started your friend on these medications, he may want a full panel and drug screen to be sure everything is OK and to verify that there's no other drugs on board.

One other thing, it takes more than one day to metabolize the oxy. It takes a good solid three days before it won't show on a drug screen. Some people need four days but most definitely one day isn't nearly long enough.

Sorry that there is not definitive answer here for you or your friend. Hopefully, some of what I shared will help some but without knowing what the doctor is checking for, it's impossible to know what blood tests he's going to order. Frankly, I wouldn't stress too much about this either way. If he does order a screen that picks up the oxy, so what? Your friend just has to say they had a few left over from an old prescription and took some because (fill in the reason). It probably won't change a thing for now but if he's concerned about the oxy, he may order another test at the next appointment. Again, if the Xanex and Lexapro are new to your friend, the doctor just might want to keep a close eye on things for a while to be sure everything is OK.

Peace,

Cat