Question about carpal tunnel surgery
    babydaddy724 is offline Junior Member

Default Question about carpal tunnel surgery

I am going tomorrow for carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand... Then I am getting my left hand on the 23rd. My question is what kind of pain pills will I be prescribed and how many considering the surgeries are two weeks apart. I can't take off work because I have a 20 month old son and just cant afford it. I just dont want to have to be in pain every day. What do they prescribe for that and how many????

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

It hasn't been long ago that you were on suboxone. What's up with that? How long has it been since you used subs regularly?

The drs will likely give you percocet, hydrocodone or something similar. They will not load you up on them though for that procedure. God bless.

I stopped taking the subs about 3 months ago and have been clean ever since. This is the reason I am asking about the pain meds because know I will need to take them which I dont think will be a problem because my desire to stay off of drugs is overpowering. But I can not negate the fact I still need to go to work and care for my son so what am I supposed to do. My father had the surgery done and he said he had to take his pain meds because it was pretty painful most of the time. So with that being said, I was just curious as to what I will be prescribed? My father was prescribed 60 vicodin ES but he had a different doctor and went to a different hospital altogether. I guess that was an odd question considering I was struggling to get off of suboxone a few months ago haha. As far as that goes its been great. I put myself through holy hell for 2 weeks of withdraw (and I was down to 1mg a day) But after I was able to sleep and eat right at the end of those 2 weeks things got better day by day. Trick is to try to keep busy as much as you wont want to. Take walks, work on a car, whatever floats your boat. Peace and god be with you!

P.S. I am actually leaving for my surgery in like 10 mins, I am supposed to be at the hospital at 9:30 and its 8:50.... wish me luck!

I stopped taking the subs about 3 months ago and have been clean ever since. This is the reason I am asking about the pain meds because know I will need to take them which I dont think will be a problem because my desire to stay off of drugs is overpowering. But I can not negate the fact I still need to go to work and care for my son so what am I supposed to do. My father had the surgery done and he said he had to take his pain meds because it was pretty painful most of the time. So with that being said, I was just curious as to what I will be prescribed? My father was prescribed 60 vicodin ES but he had a different doctor and went to a different hospital altogether. I guess that was an odd question considering I was struggling to get off of suboxone a few months ago haha. As far as that goes its been great. I put myself through holy hell for 2 weeks of withdraw (and I was down to 1mg a day) But after I was able to sleep and eat right at the end of those 2 weeks things got better day by day. Trick is to try to keep busy as much as you wont want to. Take walks, work on a car, whatever floats your boat. Peace and god be with you!

P.S. I am actually leaving for my surgery in like 10 mins, I am supposed to be at the hospital at 9:30 and its 8:50.... wish me luck!

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Good luck. And it's good to hear you've been clean the last few months. That's cool!

This is a dangerous time especially with a valid reason to use. The only thing I would suggest is when you pick up your pain meds, only take one pill at a time. If you'll just do that you will keep your consumption to a minimum. We usually find that one will help it just won't make us blitzed.

Be careful. God bless.

my surgery went fine and its very hard to type right now. I was honest with my doctor about my previous addiction so he prescribed me Tylenol 3. I only took 2 since I have been home. They help some but I am in a decent amount of pain. I felt a tiny buzz from them but I don't feel like I enjoy it very much because I would rather not be in pain and be sober than have my hand hurt like hell and have a small buzz. I think after a couple days I can switch over to Motrin and I will be fine. Trust me I know I will never let myself get hooked again because being sick is for the birds. I love being able to wake up and think about normal things rather than reaching for a suboxone or a pill to feel *normal*..... Good luck to everyone battling addiction remember you can do it when you really decide you want to!

Anonymous Guest

Hi babydaddy
    GOOD JOB dang I'm so proud of you...you are the hero of the day...
    If I ever get in your predicament I pray that I do the same thing...
    kick back and take it easy you have earned it...
    Happy day for you...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Thank you very much Melinda. I think codeine is the best alternative if you MUST take some kind of meds for a surgery since it is very mild. I pray you or anyone else never get carpal tunnel. It is not fun at all I shouldn't even be typing right now. The only thing that stinks is I have to start all over on the 23rd this month because that is when they are doing my left hand .. I will keep you guys updated on my status for anyone who cares haha. If anyone needs help quitting suboxone and needs to talk I am going to start coming here on a daily basis again. Sorry for the hiatus I started a new job and my son is 20 months old now so I have been busy. I wish everyone the best of luck and thank everyone for the support I received in the past its helped big time

hummingbyrd is offline New Member

Thumbs up Carpel Tunnel Surgery

Hi, I had CT surgery sept 2008. One of the best surgeries I've ever had. My hand, arm & shoulder does not hurt any more & I can sleep without waking to pain. I pray your surgery went well. Pleae keep us posted.