Root Canal
    GamerGirl_2010 is offline New Member

Unhappy Root Canal

Hi everyone!

I'm doing some research because I just found out that I need to have a root canal. This is my first one ever and I'm kind of nervous. I just had a few questions.

Is there anything important that I need to do before or after the root canal?

Is it common or acceptable for me to have Novocain and Nitrous Oxide during the procedure? Or is this out of the ordinary?

If I have pain or discomfort afterwards, is there any over the counter medication that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

GamerGirl_2010

gratefulgirl is offline New Member

Dont worry, dosnt hurt any more than a filling. Novacain is necessary and the gas is perfectly accecptable . I ALWAYS get the gas. It's not really for pain controll, but it helps a lot with anxiety. Good luck, but you wont really need it. Root canals these days are a breeze.

q7w
    q7w is offline New Member

please do not get a root canal, they are a scam

a very expensive scam

in the end your tooth will rot from the inside out

root canals create holes for bacteria to thrive, and sometimes can create life threatening bacteria

then opps, gotta go back to the dentist for more dental work after the tooth rots

if you can, just get it pulled

yea I know loosing your teeth isn't an easy decision for most people, but in the end it will save you alot of money

just my 2 cents

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

I agree that root canals are not nearly as big an ordeal as the stories that folks love to relate! You'll have novacaine, and little discomfort. Certainly OTC meds (tylenol or advil) should be sufficient.

As for this "root canals are a scam" post - I've never heard such a thing. A root canal saves a person's natural tooth, and need not ever be a concern afterwards. (If any bacteria grew later, it means the root canal was not done properly.) The nerve and bacteria is removed, and the entire cavity left is filled - leaving NO room for bacteria to grow, and NO nerve to feel any pain.

That is why any resulting discomfort after the root canal is not a major deal - the nerve in the tooth is gone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-24-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling

q7w
    q7w is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    I agree that root canals are not nearly as big an ordeal as the stories that folks love to relate! You'll have novacaine, and little discomfort. Certainly OTC meds (tylenol or advil) should be sufficient.

As for this "root canals are a scam" post - I've never heard such a thing. A root canal saves a person's natural tooth, and need not ever be a concern afterwards. (If any bacteria grew later, it means the root canal was not done properly.) The nerve and bacteria is removed, and the entire cavity left is filled - leaving NO room for bacteria to grow, and NO nerve to feel any pain.

That is why any resulting discomfort after the root canal is not a major deal - the nerve in the tooth is gone.
    just because you never heard about it doesn't make it less real.

there is no such thing as a root canal being done right. there is always a hole, PERIOD

here are some REAL quotes, from REAL people

Greetings! At least he didnt get you for a root canal. My dentist loves root canals whether you need one or not. . I had one and hopefully no more. My gum stayed absessed around the tooth and eventually had to be pulled. He wanted to cut half of the tooth out do another root canal and grind the toth down behind it and do a partial bridge. I said no thanks.
    I tell you what I went through an experience in wish I had my gums scrape, each side of my mouth went for 500 dollars, just because in the patients form I said that my father had gum disease.

Later when I moved to GA I took my records to my new dentist and he told me that they procedure they did to me was not necessary, it was nothing wrong with my gums.

I was so mad, but the insurance paid for it.

I also had a root canal 10 years ago and and it got infected, I will never ever allowed to have another one, it was the worst pain I ever had. He did the three roots all in the same day and got infected.

Believe what you want. I'm here in this world to help people. I'm used to people attacking me because they refuse to see what this world is truly about

dentists are SCAM artists. they charge alot of money for alot of NOTHING

I'm entitled in my opinion, as you are to your opinion.

I just choose to open my eyes and mind in this world and not accept everything I'm spoon fed.

I'll bet you even think today's Western doctors actually help people with all the poison they give us. Masters of health? lmao

You see the logo for doctors and dentists? The Caduceus?

If you know anything about symbols then you know that is an evil symbol. It's not really hard to see these things. But most people don't want the truth and attack anyone that talks about it.

Have a nice day

shybaybe2003 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by q7w View Post
    just because you never heard about it doesn't make it less real.

there is no such thing as a root canal being done right. there is always a hole, PERIOD

here are some REAL quotes, from REAL people

Believe what you want. I'm here in this world to help people. I'm used to people attacking me because they refuse to see what this world is truly about

dentists are SCAM artists. they charge alot of money for alot of NOTHING

I'm entitled in my opinion, as you are to your opinion.

I just choose to open my eyes and mind in this world and not accept everything I'm spoon fed.

I'll bet you even think today's Western doctors actually help people with all the poison they give us. Masters of health? lmao

You see the logo for doctors and dentists? The Caduceus?

If you know anything about symbols then you know that is an evil symbol. It's not really hard to see these things. But most people don't want the truth and attack anyone that talks about it.

Have a nice day
    i have never had a root canal, but i really dont think its appropriate to try to talk someone out of an important medical procedure they may need. my father, brother and cousin all had root cananls and it went great. No evil was done to them.

Hello again.

Thanks for the positive input from gratefulgirl, ARTIST658 and shybaybe2003. I actually had the root canal performed this morning. Everything seems to have gone fine. The worst part was worrying about it and keeping my mouth open for so long. I'm just supposed to take Ibuprofen for the next few days to reduce any inflammation and soreness.

Thank you guys.

GamerGirl_2010

mj90 is offline New Member

Default howd it go???

Hey gamergirl I just a root canal done today and I have heard about all the dangers, the endodontist told me it was perfectly safe and i shouldnt worry about anything. So have you had any problems latelty with your teeth so far?

Hey mj90! Everything went great for me. I had a little soreness for a couple of days, but the Ibuprofen took care of that. I'm really glad that I had the procedure done, because before hand my tooth had been causing me a lot of pain. So, everything is great now.

GamerGirl