Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pharmabecs
Suboxone Taper needing help
    RaizdByWolvz is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Taper needing help

Hi, my name is Josh and I have been on buprenorphine maintenance for about 2 years. I started off on Zubsolv equaling roughly to what 8 to 10 mgs of Suboxone is. 6 months ago I switched to the 1.4 mg Zubsolv and took 2 of those per day, and 2 months ago I switched to Suboxone 2 mg strips so I would be able to cut them to taper down low enough to get off this. I went from 2 mg down to .5 mg fairly quickly reducing by .25 mg every 3 days and I felt no discomfort/symptoms of withdrawal at all until the 2nd or 3rd day of taking .5 mg at which point I jumped off. As of typing this it has been exactly 72 hours since I jumped. The symptoms have not been bad compared to the many withdrawals I have gone through in my past from countless withdrawals, to the worst withdrawal of my life which was 3 years ago I was going to a Methadone clinic at 130 mg and due to a very hard time was forced to cold turkey 130 mg of Methadone.

With that being said even the most mild symptom of withdrawal (body temp going from cold to hot, skin feeling weird to the touch/uncomfortable, sneezing, watery eyes/nose) are amplified, I believe it to be a PTSD of sorts from the horrors of withdrawal I've gone though before. You would think that I would be seasoned at dealing with this as I've gone through so many, but it's absolutely the opposite...I feel more scared then ever before to feel withdrawal...so with symptoms developing more at the 72 hour mark I took .25 mg sliver of Suboxone, waited 30 minutes, felt no relief, then I took .5 mg more and now I feel better. My question is did I just completely ruin my taper/getting off Suboxone? How should I proceed with continuing to get off of Suboxone at this point? Like should I start back to taking .5 mg per day until I can handle that amount with 24 hours of no symptoms, or should I keep skipping days of .5 mg doses?

I know regardless there are going to be some uncomfortable days no matter how low I taper, but I would hope there is a way to do this with getting these withdrawal symptoms even a bit more bearable, if anyone can help me through this, I would greatly appreciate it, I of feel like I need my hand held while I'm doing this.

I know Robert_325 has helped so many get off Suboxone, Robert if you see this I beg for your help kind sir!

All the best to everyone here, and my love goes out to all those who are in the midst of a taper or a jump right now.

Josh

zebra1961 is offline Member

Default Josh

If you ct at that amount of methadone your pretty tough in my book, sub withdrawals suck but rally not that bad, use Thomas recipe and see if your dr can give you some comfort meds to help with withdrawals, you can get thru this look up Roberts Plan that he gave advice to others dont know if he still posting Maybe Ricky71 does and he will jump in and help with that, i was on subs and just posted to tell you that it can be done and dont let the horror stories scare you, I was on about the same amount and time you were. Stay strong and others will give advice i am sure. Keep us posted DONT GIVE UP it takes longer since subs stay in your body longer, better days ahead I promise you sub free since june 2016.

Imalivexo is offline New Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by RaizdByWolvz View Post
    Hi, my name is Josh and I have been on buprenorphine maintenance for about 2 years. I started off on Zubsolv equaling roughly to what 8 to 10 mgs of Suboxone is. 6 months ago I switched to the 1.4 mg Zubsolv and took 2 of those per day, and 2 months ago I switched to Suboxone 2 mg strips so I would be able to cut them to taper down low enough to get off this. I went from 2 mg down to .5 mg fairly quickly reducing by .25 mg every 3 days and I felt no discomfort/symptoms of withdrawal at all until the 2nd or 3rd day of taking .5 mg at which point I jumped off. As of typing this it has been exactly 72 hours since I jumped. The symptoms have not been bad compared to the many withdrawals I have gone through in my past from countless withdrawals, to the worst withdrawal of my life which was 3 years ago I was going to a Methadone clinic at 130 mg and due to a very hard time was forced to cold turkey 130 mg of Methadone.

With that being said even the most mild symptom of withdrawal (body temp going from cold to hot, skin feeling weird to the touch/uncomfortable, sneezing, watery eyes/nose) are amplified, I believe it to be a PTSD of sorts from the horrors of withdrawal I've gone though before. You would think that I would be seasoned at dealing with this as I've gone through so many, but it's absolutely the opposite...I feel more scared then ever before to feel withdrawal...so with symptoms developing more at the 72 hour mark I took .25 mg sliver of Suboxone, waited 30 minutes, felt no relief, then I took .5 mg more and now I feel better. My question is did I just completely ruin my taper/getting off Suboxone? How should I proceed with continuing to get off of Suboxone at this point? Like should I start back to taking .5 mg per day until I can handle that amount with 24 hours of no symptoms, or should I keep skipping days of .5 mg doses?

I know regardless there are going to be some uncomfortable days no matter how low I taper, but I would hope there is a way to do this with getting these withdrawal symptoms even a bit more bearable, if anyone can help me through this, I would greatly appreciate it, I of feel like I need my hand held while I'm doing this.

I know Robert_325 has helped so many get off Suboxone, Robert if you see this I beg for your help kind sir!

All the best to everyone here, and my love goes out to all those who are in the midst of a taper or a jump right now.

Josh

Hello, mabey my taper will help you. I didnt exactly make it up myself but its something that is working for me and I have been having mild barely thwre withdrawals plus sleeping 8 hours a night. So ive been on suboxon for 2 years inbetween i was doing fetanyl alot.smoking it.... i then was on 8 mg of suboxone everyday when i was doing drugs. I gradually tapered from 8 to 6..to 4.to 2. To 1.. to .5 and stayed on .5 for literally 2 weeks.

Then i went down to literally a crumb..
    A speck of suboxone just to say i did some. I did a speck of sub for 2 weeks. During this time i felt weak... lower back was abit sore but i could still function

... i then started skipping days... so sunday do a crumb...monday nothing..tues a crumb

Weds nothing... etc. Then i would try going 2 days without... it was bearable but id always fail.after 2 days and do a crumb. I did this about 2x and then went back to taking a crumb every day. I started breaking that crumb down into literally the tiniest spek of suboxone ppssible and did that for a few days... i then decided to make the leap. Monday i did a small spec
    Tuess none...weds none...and thoae days were bareable.. i work at an office so my back would get stiff from sitting. I also worked out these days and ate alot of food. The only major issue i had was yawning and watery eyes and restless legs at night. I took 2 aspirin tho and that helped. Its now day 3 and supposably ots supppsed to be the worst since sub has a half life but aince the amount i was doing was so tiny i dont think that pertains to my situation.. day 3 ..well i can say i feel better then day 2.. no sweats.. no yawning.. eyes are nornal.
    Just low on energy. I didnt have time.to workout today because i slept in... but i guess we will see how later in the day how i feel.. i can update you in a few hours. It is currently 2 pm and it makrs 72 hours from my last dose. And i can say i feel 90%... i dont think itll grt any worse since i did the taper to literally nothing and did it for awhile.. this is my experience so far and i hope i helps u.. if u wa t to function each day then try my way.

RaizdByWolvz is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Pharmabecs is offline New Member

I use to be a suboxone pharmacist for a clinic years ago. So I have some experience in this solely from a professional stand point.

My question for you is, “why are you rushing this taper?”

Unfortunately our bodies become tolerant and dependent of some drugs. The opiates for one and nicotine being another, are the most difficult to just stop.

You’ve come such a long way and you’re right there where you emotionally feel ready, and then 3 days later you begin to feel the physical effects from the drug no longer being present. It’s not in your head. Well, I mean I guess it is all going on in the head... but what I’m saying is it’s not a “PTSD” mental-emotional feeling that’s causing your symptoms.

Think of those opiate receptors like well fed happy babies. They are content because the buprenorphine is very soothing. As our bodies eliminate the drug over time, these baby receptors start to feel their bellies growling. And they sorta toss and turn until they just can’t deal with the fact that what keeps them fed, content and quiet is not there. So they get mad. Back when you started your taper the “babies” were used to having it around all the time, switching from methadone to buprenorphine was probably not as easy for you as any of us would hope it to be. Going from a pure agonist that satisfies all 4 types of opiate receptors, to a partial agonist-antagonist drug put you in a state of withdrawal. I apologize that I can’t tell you which receptor type is antagonized (blocked) by buprenorphine, but which ever one it is was tricked into thinking it was being fed, when it was actually blocked. And it became angry. Because the other 3 were being partially stimulated by buprenorphine, they were uncomfortable, a little angry, but began to accept the replacement for the “mother drug” they were use to. They calmed down relatively quickly because it’s better than having nothing at all.
    Therefor we transitioned you to a drug that is still an opiate, but has less baggage and is becoming less taboo in our society. The goal is to not always to completely rid you of the drug. The goal is to prevent you from using pure opiate agonists, that aren’t controlled, are taken at higher doses, that put you at more risk for blood born diseases, legal issues, and/or death.

Ok... sorry, back on track here... you tried a quarter of a 2mg strip. Your baby opiate receptors fought you tooth and nail, but you had the power to control them. Then you decided you felt ready to stop giving in to them all together, so you quit feeding the babies. At the 3 day mark, they are mad! Very angry. They are in full FEED ME TANTRUM MODE! If you don’t think about them, keep busy durin the day, you can and do tone them down. It’s that time frame when we are alone, having nothing to do... it could be bedtime. You might just decided to sit quietly on a bench and let the sun hit your face for just a few minutes...and it hits you like a ton of bricks. You zoom in on the angry screaming hungry tantrum going on, THAT is PHYSICALLY REALLY HAPPENING. It amps up your emotions. You get mad because you can’t handle the tantrums they are pitching, you failed at quitting and that’s making you mad. You’re hot, you’re cold. Your sweating and really shouldn’t be and you feel like puking. Not to mention your stomach is acting up and you need to find a bathroom, NOW!
    You get home, sit on the toilet with a bucket in your lap and you have decided enough is enough. I’m taking 0.5mgs. After several hours you still don’t feel normal, so you took another.

After a long winded story of what you are physically experiencing, my answer is no. You did not screw up your taper.

Here’s what I would suggest.

Pick a reasonable, attainable quit date roughly 3 to 4 months out. Write it on your calendar. Now mark each day of that calendar with the dose you are going to take that day.
    Week 1. 0.5-0.5-0.5-0.5-0.5-0.5-0.5
    Week 2. 0.375 (Sunday thru Saturday)
    Week 3. 0.25 (Sunday thru Saturday)
    Week 4. 0.25 on Sunday Tues Thurs Sat and 0.125 on M-W-F

Week 5: 0.125 Sunday thru Saturday
    week 6: 0.125 Sunday Tues-Thurs Sat
    Week 7: repeat week 6.
    Week 8. 0.125 Sunday Wed Sat
    Week 9: repeat week 8
    Week 10: repeat week 9
    Week 11: Sun and Thursday
    Week 12: repeat week 11.
    Week 13: drop one of those days
    By this time the receptors are becoming used to going with out. You may try to go with out longer than the schedule. And you’ve tapered down low enough that if they start fitting out, taking 0.125 here and there if needed is ok.

The scariest thing sometimes is realizing that you don’t have anymore strips should you need even the tiniest amount.
    Set one or two aside. Have someone lock one away in a secret spot in your house (not theirs). That way you know it’s there if things feel uncomfortable.

Do not get angry if you need more time than that date you wrote down. Simply adjust the date accordingly. Reward yourself for how far you’ve come.

You can and will become independent and stronger than this drug. You have no idea how strong you really are. The majority of people out there can’t do this, and they succumb to this drug.

By making a schedule like the one above, you take control of the drug. It takes TIME. You aren’t a machine. Remind yourself that you are human, what’s going on is physiological. You aren’t abusing opiates anymore. Addiction has a negative connotation of abuse.
    Right now you are being controlled and prescribed. You are being monitored and you WANT TO BE an active participant in all of this. Some people don’t want to do this. You have so much life to live, so take some of that time to become strong enough to live life to its fullest and never look back.
    I commend you and you should be so very proud of yourself. Know that!
    ForMe30 likes this.