Why would a pain management Dr treat me like a junkie when I'm not?
    LB17 is offline New Member

Question Why would a pain management Dr treat me like a junkie when I'm not?

I go to a pain management Dr because I've had 2 unsuccessful back surgeries. I'm in pain everyday, especially nerve pain. I'm on two 30mg of morphine a day and four 15mg of oxycodone.
    I went to see my Dr last month for my monthly Med check. He decided he will no longer prescribe oxycodone to any of his patients because of junkies and selling on the street. He lowered my oxy from 4 pills a day to 3 to eventually stop the oxy's all together and put me on opana, which doesn't work at all for me. I'm not happy about him messing with my meds because it's taken over a year to get to a good place and now he's messing me up again, but it's his right. Taking only 3 oxy's a day was hard for me. I was in more pain and some withdrawals. Enough to disrupt my day and I have kids to take care of so this didn't sit well with me. I called his office to let him know I was having a hard time with the change and needed some help. Well, he has a policy where he won't ever talk to a patient on the phone and won't see you until your next appointment. This is what I hate about this Dr. You have to suffer through the month with no help. Needless to say, I took matters into my own hands to get by. I sometimes took three and a half pills a day instead of three. This caused me to run out one day early, the day of my monthly check.
    I went in yesterday and told him what was going on and that I'm going to start seeing a new Dr that won't change my meds. It took me too long to get where I am to change it up now. He took my blood pressure and then said he needed to figure out what to do. He then asked if I smoke, he knows I do. I said yes. Right then he got angry and said he wouldn't fill my oxy's because I'm an abuser of my medication. I was floored! I know I messed up a little by running out a day early, but an abuser? He treated me like a junkie off the street. He kept saying that he wasn't going to argue with me when I was just talking to him. It was so weird and so unlike anything he's ever done. Then he told me he's glad to get rid of me because I don't care about my health and that the new Dr can "deal with me". I was in tears and very confused. I started exercising and eating better because of him. How can he say I don't care? The only thing I can come up with is that, one, I'm leaving his practice and it made him angry, or two, his mother is dying from smoking and he's upset about it. Of course he is. He absolutely hates smoking and has made that very clear to me. Well you know what? I don't like it either, but I can only handle one thing at a time in my life and my back problems sure have turned my life upside down!
    Now I'm stuck without my pain medication and have no idea what to do. I've called at least twenty pain dr's and none of them can get me in quickly. I've called my primary Dr and she can't help me. It's hard to explain what happened because as soon as they hear that my Dr refused to refill my meds they wonder what I did wrong. Who would you believe? A Dr or his patient who's dependant on pain meds? He's put me in a real bad spot now and I don't know how to fix it. Or I guess maybe I put myself there, IDK. I'm most afraid that he's flagged me as an addict and no one will ever see me. They'll blow me off before I can tell them what happened.
    Any suggestions? Is this normal practice for a Dr? I shouldn't say he didn't fill any of my meds. He filled my morphine. If he thought I was an abuser why would he do that? It says in my record that I was not overly sedated, made good eye contact and talked clearly. If I were abusing my meds wouldn't he be able to tell?

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I understand your frustration but prescription pill addiction kills more people than meth, coke and herion all together..

That being said..

I feel for you pain is awful especially when it interferes with a persons life..

It is only gonna get harder to get pain meds now that doctors and phamacys are being held accountable..

Have you thought about methadone?

I know that really sounds like a real junkie.
    But The difference between someone whose has pain and abuses opiates and a junkie off the street is not that much..
    Both are physically dependent..
    the person who started taking opiates for pain and the one who started with recreational use ..both will end up in withdrawal..if they run out..

If you can not use an alternative to opiates ....methadone may be an option...

But I would try anything else in my power before going that route..
    It is difficult to get off of and has some side effects!
    I am sure some others will come along with great suggestions..

But if you have been without for 3-7 days now you are through the worst !

BTW methadone withdrawal can last 30 days!

But one good think is If you go to a methadone clinic you can have a higher dose than from a pain doctor..
    So you may hopefully get some relief..

So take care I am gonna check on you later!

Iluv2

Let me start off by apologizing to anyone I may have offended. I understand the similarities between myself and the person who uses for recreational purposes.That being said, there is one huge difference. I'm not taking meds to get high. I take them for legitimate pain issues.
    I don't want to stop taking my morphine, or MSContin I should say, because of my pain. I actually stopped taking my meds last year because my Dr said that my body could be putting itself in pain just so I would feed it a pill. I wanted to see how I would feel without pills. I stopped for 6 weeks and it was total hell. Besides the withdrawals, I was in constant pain the whole time. I lost 30lbs, which really isn't a bad thing normally, but I couldn't eat because of the pain. Needless to say, I got back on my pills, but on less than half the dose. I'm still on less than half and doing so well. This is why I was hesitant to change anything up. I've been wonderful for about a year at the same dose.
    I just need to stick this out with only my MSContin until Nov 1St, when I can see my new Dr. It's just so hard. I can't get how this Dr treated me off my mind. It's keeping me up at night, along with some withdrawals LOL.
    I don't want to take methadone unless I absolutely have to. I just hope this Dr didn't ruin my chances with my next Dr.

I'm sorry. I forgot to thank you for your suggestion! I'm not thinking that clearly at the moment.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I was not trying to insinuate that you took your pain pills for anything other than pain.
    My point although it may have not be clear is that it doesn't really matter why you take them.
    The body ends up physically dependent..
    That is awful but it is the nature of the pill..
    I agree your doctor did treat you disrespectful.
    I hope he did not black ball you or what ever they do now..

I just read that to have hydrocodone now the pharmacy requires a hard copy of the prescription.
    Before they could just refill it over the phone..
    It is sad all these pill mills that have set up just to make money and how They have made it difficult for people with legitimate pain..

I hope you get what you need..
    Just try to realize the doctor that treated you that way did that not because of what you are but probably because of what he may have been doing..
    You never know he may have gotten in trouble for writing to many scripts and now he is taking out on all the patients..
    Or he is probably afraid of getting into trouble..
    Whatever it is it probably doesn't have anything to do with you as a person!
    Take care
    Iluv2

Yeah I totally get that. That's what I hate about having to take pills. I guess either way you put it you're essentially addicted.
    I read about that change. My Dr has given the hard copy every time. I think he's afraid he'll get in trouble.
    I did talk to a dr's office today about what happened and they were so nice. They said they never turn their patients away when they call for help because that's what they're there for. I totally agree. I hired you to manage my pain and if you refuse to help or talk with me you're not doing that and should be fired. Hopefully I can get in soon with this new Dr.