Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By summerk
Would this be an appropriate thing to tell a doctor?
    summerk is offline New Member

Default Would this be an appropriate thing to tell a doctor?

I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in the past. Being that it was so long ago, I don't remember the exact diagnosis. I have been prescribed quite a few anxiety medications by a few different doctors but nothing really worked for me. I eventually quit visiting my doctor a couple of years ago and have been dealing with my issues on my own. I hated taking daily pills and the anxiety/depression combo medications in the past. I cannot remembered the names of what I was prescribed, but all of them caused me issues (one made me extremely fatigued, one made me agitated and angry, etc.) or didn't seem to work for me.

My issue isn't so much daily anxiety, but I have panic attacks maybe once a month (sometimes more frequently, but once a month on average).

Last week, I had a panic attack and my sister gave me one of her 1mg alprazolam pills and it helped tremendously. I took it in the evening during the panic attack and slept very well that night. It helped so much, that my family was able to convince me to visit the doctor again. My sister explained that her medication was not a daily one, and only for when she needed it. That sounds like exactly what I need!

My question is: would it be appropriate to tell the doctor that I tried this medication without a prescription for the first time and that I feel it would help me? I would hate to get in trouble or get my sister in trouble for giving me a pill out of her prescription. I feel that if I could tell the doctor this, they could prescribe this medicine or one like it to me.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by summerk View Post
    I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in the past. Being that it was so long ago, I don't remember the exact diagnosis. I have been prescribed quite a few anxiety medications by a few different doctors but nothing really worked for me. I eventually quit visiting my doctor a couple of years ago and have been dealing with my issues on my own. I hated taking daily pills and the anxiety/depression combo medications in the past. I cannot remembered the names of what I was prescribed, but all of them caused me issues (one made me extremely fatigued, one made me agitated and angry, etc.) or didn't seem to work for me.

My issue isn't so much daily anxiety, but I have panic attacks maybe once a month (sometimes more frequently, but once a month on average).

Last week, I had a panic attack and my sister gave me one of her 1mg alprazolam pills and it helped tremendously. I took it in the evening during the panic attack and slept very well that night. It helped so much, that my family was able to convince me to visit the doctor again. My sister explained that her medication was not a daily one, and only for when she needed it. That sounds like exactly what I need!

My question is: would it be appropriate to tell the doctor that I tried this medication without a prescription for the first time and that I feel it would help me? I would hate to get in trouble or get my sister in trouble for giving me a pill out of her prescription. I feel that if I could tell the doctor this, they could prescribe this medicine or one like it to me.
    Yes go ahead and tell him. You don't have to say who gave it to you if you want to keep your sister out of it. Believe me, you are not the first nor will you be the last who sampled someone else's prescription. No we shouldn't do that but your doctor isn't going to be head hunting and it'll be helpful for him to know that it worked for you.

What she gave to you is the generic name for Xanex. Xanex is only meant to use when needed and is highly addictive so most doctors are reluctant to prescribe it but if you have been seeing the same doctor for a bit and have a good relationship with him, he might give you a few. Once he sees that you aren't taking them everyday, he may be more willing to give you more. Just be careful. Your tolerance will increase rapidly if you do begin to use them everyday and before you know it, you'll be hooked.

Peace,

Cat