ANY INFO ON RITALIN
    divinchi is offline New Member

Default ANY INFO ON RITALIN

Anyone know anything about ritalin and the bad and the good about the drug i think i might try it becuase i have alot of trouble concentrating as an adult and thinking back also as a child to
    thanks divinchi []

arnold

Tammy65 is offline New Member

[red][/red
    You would be wise to stay away from Ritilin! Do your research it is a controlled substance worse than "cocaine"! There are a lot of natural products out their that help with ADD problems search the net. Good luck

Tammy

manicbeauty22 is offline New Member

hey there:

Listen, I take Ritalin for my ADHD. I was diagnosed when I was 21 years old - not 5. I am 27 now, and I have a 3.5 GPA in college. This drug - when taken responsibly, can be very effective. Please do not take my testimony about stimulants to rationalize taking them. There is a high incidence of people that abuse their meds - and I'm going to admit that I - when I was younger - did so. Occasionally. At 27 years old, I have tried all of the non-stimulant alternatives and found that they are not effective in treating the symptoms that affect me INDIVIDUALLY. Please, I beg of you - explore natural remedies and non-stimulant alternatives before deciding that stimulants, like Ritalin or Adderall, are right for YOU. I know many people who are experience no effect when trying those alternatives - but, you have to be responsible and educated about what you ingest. If stimulant drugs - like the dreaded, schedule 2 narcotic substance, Ritalin (or Methylphenidate Hcl - generic) are right for you: be cautious. Please, however, do not let anyone tell you that you are a crackhead for taking a drug that may very well help you immensely.
    Thank You.
    L. Swan
    Kicked out of high school - currently, in the Honors Society...

craz_chick is offline Member

I am also on ritilan for my adhd and have been since i was in grade 2. I went off for awhile so have not been on it straight for alot of yrs but enogh I am now 29. I find it really helped me to concintrate and stay focused. When I was not on it I had so much trouble. My son is also on it and without if he can't function. They just uped his perscription and he is doing way better with school and at home. I dont' like to have to take a speed like drug but if it works then i am all up for it!!
    You can't self diagnose though that can be so dangerous asl since if you do not have the chemical imbalance then it will have the oppisit effect. Good luck in finding out

Miles is offline Member

Divinchi:

Before you make a choice, you may wish to view information on the site below - click the ADHD link.

http://groups.msn.com/SIDEEFFECTS/ps...dications.msnw

Good luck!
    Miles

dg663 is offline New Member

After working with children and adults with ADHD for 5 years I have yet to find an individual who needed medication in order to do well in school or at work. By teaching these individuals how to focus and control their energy level they learn to control their ADHD on their own, without the use of very dangerous chemicals. I am not opposed to medications when they are needed but I am convinced these medications are not necessary for someone with ADHD if they find someone who can show them how to control the negative symptoms. By treating the negatives with drugs you are also eliminating all of the positives: the heightened creativity, ability to see only part of a picture and fill in the rest, artistic, athletic or musical talent and the ability to daydream. Everyone needs to take mini mind vacations throughout the day. A person does not function well if they are focused all of the time, it creates a lot of stress. By daydreaming every now and then a person can deal with the stress. Medication too often robs the ADHD individual of this ability while medicated. There are other negatives as well. For my younger clients it shuts down the appetite. A child needs food to grow. Too often my ADHD child clients are very small for their size. Once they stop the meds they begin to eat and grow. They start sleeping better. They don't have mood swings, they learn to laugh and they do better in school. Please before taking medication for ADHD explore other options. I would be happy to help. So far 100% of my clients remain medication free and all are doing very well in school or on the job.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

When ritalin is prescribed for the right conditions it's an exellent drug.Just be carefull as it does have some abuse issues but if your taking it legit then you have nothing to worry about anyway.....Dave

Finally my pain is under control!!!!!!!

p2p
    p2p is offline New Member

Probably the most bastardised subject in medince; stimulents & children.

Emotions, bias and the sheer potency of terms like 'adhd - (an invented disorder)', 'drugging of kids - (kiddy speed), 'bad diagnosis - (greedy doctors & pharmecutical company profits), '600% increases - (epidemic proportions, no helf measures with these terms!), 'No scientific basis - (anti-psychiatry & Freud bashing)', 'DEA warnings - (abuse and illicit trade)' and of course 'politics and parents' (Vote counting and blame anyone but me) have run amok and in my view undermined well meaning groups that seek reasonsable oversight.

You just have to say "Church Of Scientology' and the opponents go silent - but for the wrong reasons.

My best advise is this. Start with short acting unadulterated dexedrine. Fast acting - and lasts 3-5 hours in all honesty. Go by your weight, severity of symptoms and use of other medications. 10-60mgs will cover it and over 30mg is uncommon but the fact is people respond differently and mg limits are guides. A single head ache tablet OTC cures my annual head ache, try explaining that to a person that sufferes from chronic migranes - the point is the only golden rule is there are no golden rules.

If you are mature about it start with 10mg, and go up by 5mg per day until your grappling with 'it' - you will know what 'it' will mean - when you start to wonder if things will stay like 'this' - 'in a positive sense' - your in the ball park. Moderation is essential, these medications can be subtle and do not have to be over used. But they will work that first 1-2 hours - be sure! So if they are for you - you will know in a few days.

Remember, what the nation of nay sayers do not understand is, if they are indeed for you then it is the contr-indications that help - so you need to be predisposed accordingly - and your back to the twilght zone - just try them. If, why, how, where...........they work? are questions no person that sufferes cares much for.

'I'd do a rain dance' if it helped - JFK

Maturity, moderation and my blessings. No silver bullets! One week will not hurt.

Miles is offline Member

Re Ritalin:

Ritalin is methylphenidate. Methylphenidate affects the brain in precisely the same way as cocaine. With a similar degree of potency, they both block a molecule that is involved in the reuptake of dopamine. One difference is whether one snorts it or ingests it in pill form. That partly changes its rate of metabolism, but it still affects the brain in the same fashion.

Methylphenidate was used in research studies to deliberately stir psychosis in schizophrenics. This was done because researchers could take an individual with a tendency towards psychosis, give him/her methylphenidate, and cause psychosis. Researchers also knew that amphetamines, like methylphenidate, could cause psychosis in persons who never before had been psychotic.

Think about this! We are giving a drug to children that is known to have the possibility of stirring psychosis. The odd thing about methylphenidate and amphetamines is that, in children, they have a counterintuitive effect. In adults, speed makes them more jittery and hyperactive. For unknown reasons, amphetamines in children still their movements – it actually keeps them in their chairs at school and helps them to become more focused.

We are robbing children of their right to be children, their right to grow and experience the world in all its richness. It is criminal! Millions of children have been affected. At some universities, as many as 40-50 percent of freshmen arrive with a psychiatric prescription!

It is a means of social control. Children are given Ritalin and antidepressants to subdue them and force them into conformity. It also has a huge marketing payoff, creating customers, hopefully lifelong customers. Before long, these children are on three or four drugs. From a capitalist point of view, the strategy of the drug manufacturers (most notably, Eli Lilly) is brilliant.

Who really benefits? It is the drug companies, the psychiatrists, the researchers, the advertising agencies. In the meantime, children are drugged out of their minds and damaged for life. In spite of the proliferation of psychiatric drugs in the US, no one asserts that the mental health of the American public is improving. Instead, there is a hullabaloo over the increasing mental health “problem.” The stresses of modern life or something equally inane is blamed – are we not creating mental illness?

Miles