Effects of Imitrex on Yasmin Birth Control
    suwanee is offline New Member

Default Effects of Imitrex on Yasmin Birth Control

Does Imitrex effect Yasmin Birth Control? Also, I read that Motrin, Aleve, Advil etc.. effects Yasmin but is it long term and if so what is considered long term? Would 2 times a day 4 times a month taking Ibuprofen and/or Aleve effect Yasmin?

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Drospirenone may increase potassium in the body. The following list of medications may also affect potassium levels in the body. More specific examples of these medicines are listed in the section entitled "What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Yasmin?". Do not take Yasmin without first talking to your doctor if you are on daily, long-term treatment with:
    · a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID);
    · a potassium-sparing diuretic;
    · a potassium supplement;
    · an ACE inhibitor;
    · an angiotensin II receptor antagonist; or
    · heparin.
    • Many other drugs may interact with Yasmin. Some interactions (e.g. with certain antibiotics, protease inhibitors, seizure medications, St. John's wort, and other medications) may result in decreased effectiveness of the medication and therefore increase the risk of unintended pregnancy. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any other prescription or over-the-counter medications, including vitamins and minerals and herbal products.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

suwanee is offline New Member

Thank you. I actually have read that before however I didn't understand it. So does that mean that Imitrex does reduce the effectiveness of Yasmin?

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

It does not reduce the effectiveness of it, it just affects your body's potassium levels, to much potassium can cause health problems or death, and so can too little. If you only use those drugs a few days a month, you shouldn't have a problem, however, if you use them very frequently, or every day, you would need to look at a different BC pill.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~