Fibromyalgia
    Kmundy is offline New Member

Default Fibromyalgia

Has anyone used the drug Pregabalin (Lyrica) for the treatment of fibromyalgia. If so what were your results? I am desperate to find something to help my pain and discomfort.

Norelief is offline New Member

Best wishes trying to find some kind of pain relief, if you find it let us all know. If I could just get half of my pain relieved I would be happy, I know how you feel being tired of the pain, I've been dealing with my worst attack for the past 4 years.

myomy is offline New Member

I suffered for 30 years, but am now pain free. Here is what helped me: 1)Sleeping on the wedges that put you in a "recliner" position (I got them from Relax the Back). 2)Get plain Glucosamine Sulfate from Wal-Mart ($7.72 for 120). Take 2,000mg twice a day. While you're there, get a little blow-up pillow like you would take on an airplane, only vastly under-inflate it--great neck support. That's it. Let me know how it works for you.

irishgirl is offline New Member

HI -
    I was diagnosed just over a year ago with fibro, and have had muscle spasms, gastrointestinal problems and trouble sleeping, plus I now have small herniation of discs in my back. So far what helps is moving around - gets the blood flowing and keeps you from getting stiff and worse - even though you don't feel well and would rather curl up. Go to Arthritis Foundation website and look up fibromyalgia, they will give list of places near you for pool therapy - that has been VERY helpful. Stay warm. Lots of fluids. I take Ambien .5 and Xanax .25 to get to sleep. Skelaxin helps muscles during the day, flexeril in early/mid evening because it really causes drowsiness. I am still looking for information - does anyone else out there have the IBS problem that freqently accompanies fibro?

painsuxalot is offline New Member

OHHHH YES! Have fibro AND IBS - had it for years, in fact had been being treated for IBS way before being dx'd with Fibro.

IBS affects ppl differently. I myself get diahhrea(sp), others get constipation. My pain meds help regulate my IBS - so I'm lucky there.

I am also having the worst flare in several years. I live in the Northeast where we've had early season extreme cold and lots of snow. I think this has a lot to do with it.

I feel for my fellow sufferers - fibromites - if you will[:I]

Walking helped me a whole lot - but this past June I broke my foot pretty badly and have not been able to do any walking for excersie. That may be another possiblity why it's flaring so badly for me.

I just know - it hurts - even with my pain meds and zanaflex muscle relaxers...[xx(]

C'YA!!
    PSalot

~I am Woman, Hear me Roar...MEOW!~

elsiejay is offline New Member

I have been on several pain killers for fibro, but the most successful (so far -- I have to be hopeful!!) has been gabepentin, or Neurontin. It is a drug used to prevent seizures, but it is also being used for pain, and it seems to help. Or else I'm gettng used to it after 8 years.

I also use a small spa (a God-send) but hot baths worked for a long time as well. Movement helps (I ride a bike in the winter) as does lots of water and fluids.

The weather channel (Weather.com) has an "Aches and Pains" section that explains why we feel so lousy some days and not so bad others. I don't think they have nailed it 100%, but it is interesting to see how weather affects us.

I guess rest, take care of yourself, stay warm, and hope that someone is working on making us better.

Lcj

gthing666 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Kmundy

Has anyone used the drug Pregabalin (Lyrica) for the treatment of fibromyalgia. If so what were your results? I am desperate to find something to help my pain and discomfort.
    My mother has fibro and lupas and was given this drug. We had a very bad experoence with it on xmas morning. She also has sleeping pills prescribed at night time. We now suspect that she took all of her drugs way to close together between a late night on xmas eve and a early xmas morning. Anyways she was really out of it. Stumbling around and into things. Eyes were rolled back in her head at one point and she does not remeber much of xmas morning at all. After going back to bed in the afternoon and wakeing back up it was like she was a new person. My warning to everyone is please be careful of your doses and other drug reactions with this. It has help her pain in her joints alot. But she has since stop taking her am dose until she sees the doctor this week[?]

beth

mafusula is offline New Member

I have Fibromyalgia and I started Lyrica 10 weeks ago. Within a few days I had no pain for the first time in years. My energy levels rose and I'm now gardening, mowing the lawns etc and still no pain. I think Lyrica is great for me

Shadowlord is offline New Member

Yes, I was put on it for a month. It did absolutly nothing for me expect make me dizzy and disconnected. It didn't help with pain, sleep or anything. It is a new drug (so the pharmacutical companies are really pushing it - it is extremely expensive)so you are just being a lab rat like me. It was developed to treat neuropathy and using it to treat fibro is an off label usage with no scientific support that is actually helps. I would say tell your doctor no. You need to go with a more established protocol such as a low dosage of klonopin .25 - .50 mg at night for rest (this is a benzodiazapine - anti-anxiety medicine) but it will help you rest some and you need ultram (a synthetic opiate for the pain management). I have had fibro since I was 25 and am now 40 and have tried everything. Make sure you eat healthy, get some exercise (low impact cardio and light resistance), cut way back on caffine intake, avoid MSG (a food additive in just about all preserved foods and junk food snacks), avoid nutrasweet artificial sweetner found in diet drinks (the msg and nutrasweet will aggrivate your fibro), get plenty of rest, take good vitamin supplements, meditate, try to find activities you can do and love to help your emotional state, avoid alcohol usage of any kind. And take control of your own health and keep your own medical records at home. You have to manage your health because you have a disorder that they don't know what causes and half the doctors are ignorant about. And one more thing, you may have to see several doctors to get the help you need. Many are reluctant to put you on the medications because they can be habit forming. But if you can't function due to the pain. You have to get some relief. Unfortunatly, I cannot give you any real hope that the condition will get better. I have tried it all and I have only gotten worse. And some doctors will even try to tell you it is all in your head but don't believe that. Hope this advise helps.

Shadow

Dee Beez

Shadowlord is offline New Member

Addendum to my posting.

LYRICA DID NOT WORK AT ALL FOR ME. PERHAPS THE PERSON WHO HAD SUCCESS WITH IT HAS A FORM OF NUEROPATHY INSTEAD. MY FRIEND DOES HAVE NEUROPATHY AND IT HAS HELPED HIM. BUT FOR FIRBROMYALGIA........NO!NO!NO!

SHADOW

Dee Beez

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

The problem with drugs such as Lyrica, Gabapentin (Neurontin), Cymbalta and etc. is that they only work for certain people on certain types of pain. If you have constant pain that is always being aggravated by other conditions, such as herniated discs, pinched nerves and etc. they will more than likely not work for you.

Since Fibro sufferers have zinging nerves that are constantly aggravated by just about everything, from your clothes to a strong breeze hitting your body, most sufferers do not get good results from these types of meds.

Your best bet is to use the various pillow suggestions, but you might need to adjust the size and type to find what is most comfortable for you and provides you the most relaxing and pain free position. I don't suffer from Fibro, I have a spinal condition and nerve impingement, so for me I have a large body pillow that I can use to lean my body slightly forward and take the weight and pressure off my spine and hips. I have never been able to sleep comfortable on my stomach, but this is a way I can get comfortable and still keep some of the pressure off. I use other pillows, such as the tubular shaped neck pillows and the angled egg crate type ones, to put behind my back and prevent me from rolling back over on it in my sleep. I also use large king sized pillows to support my neck on a gentle angle, since my spinal curve extends up into my 4th verterbrae and causes severe migraines if those ones get out of whack, and under my neck itself, I use either a Buckwheat Hull pillow or one of the curved ones that conforms to my body shape to take pressure off of it while I am sleeping, but still have the support I need to avoid waking up with a migraine.

So for any pain condition, the types of pillows you use can make a big difference, and you should always use ones that will support various parts of your body and not just your head and neck. Also, you need to make sure that you invest in a good mattress. I know they seem expensive, but the investment is well worth it for your health and pain. Mattresses such as sleep numbers, negative pressure beds, posteurpedics and etc. can make a big different to the length and quality of your sleep as well as your pain levels. The support of better quality mattresses lasts for years, as compared to the months you get out of cheaper generic models. With our old, knock off mattresses, it was fine for a short period of time, but then I always ended up waking up in severe pain, stiff and miserable and barely able to walk.

Since investing in a Sealy Posteurpedic, I sleep much better and wake up in much lest pain. So one of the biggest things you can do to help your pain is invest in your bedding.

Another post mentioned using Glucosamine, you can also buy products that contain Chondroitin and MSM along with the Glucosamine. They can all help with severe pain issues, though how effective it is, of course as with any drug or supplement, is up to the individual. I take it everyday, the Nature Made Triple Flex, and it has made a big difference for me.

As to treating your pain, your best results will probably come from using an actual pain med, for chronic conditions you really need a long acting one like MS Contin, Avinza, or Oxycontin, and a shorter acting one for breakthrough pain. And as the other posters suggested muscle relaxants and Benzodiazepines or certain antidepressants can help with sleeping issues.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

irishgirl is offline New Member

I have been trying almost everything my internist/rheumatologist has suggested - Ambien and Xanax (low doses) to get sleep (Lunesta gave BAD metallic aftertaste), Skelaxin on occasion for muscle tension, Flexeril rarely and only in evenings for bad muscle tension, lately Wellbutrin to raise serotonin levels. Physical therapy for bulge between back disks L4-L5, now p-t for ruptured popliteal cyst and loose foreign bodies in knee joint. Brain fog and anxiety are on-again off-again. She is now suggesting Effexor - anyone tried that?

I've been using an OTC probiotic for IBS - "Intestinal Bowel Support" from Whole Foods Market - it has made a big difference, although I may have developed lactose intolerance - high fiber diet also very big help.

I went to a seminar at Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers last night - they make sense (after all I've read elsewhere) and use a combination of holistic and traditional therapies. [u]Has anyone else had experience with them? </u>Thank you

Karlin is offline New Member

I hope you find answers not from the pharmacy, but I understand your desperation.

One things that NOBODY wants to hear, for good reason, is that a lot of Fibro pains and other symptoms just dissapear after getting bad teeth removed. Root canals included, and all the metal in there. There is nothing "terrible" about dentures, your dentist would die before admitting that tho. There is something terrible about having bad teeth in your head too - they are infected and the waste products from those bacteria are causing some or all of your pains, fatigue, etc

See? I told you you would not want to hear it. But I can testify that it is true, from personal experience. ANd dentures are not so bad, much better than my old teeth, half had fillings.

Fatigue for one symptom, will go away, mine is GONE.
    Leg cramps much less, still some calf cramps [ do you get those?]
    Actually, the biggest relief is the NECK CRAMPS... those muscles would spasm and headaches wow. Nothing there bothers me now at all.

I actually had a raging neck-headache when I went in for the big extraction, and my headache was gone when I got out. [I just hade a local anasthetic]. I know it was from teeth.

However, my gastro problems are still here.

Now , why did you never hear of this before?
    ANS: Doctors say the Trigeminal Nerve area [teeth area] is for dentists,
    Dentists say fibro etc is "medical, go see your doctor".
    Thats quotes from my life/doc/dentite. Thats one part of the reason...

Mind you, my teeth were hurting badly. That pain alone might have flared up my Fibro, and maybe now I just have normal fibro. But there is no doubt that bad teeth, even just one root canal tooth, will or can cause these types of pains, or makes them worse.

- WHEN DID YOUR FIBRO START? after root canaled teeth were done?

Sorry if this throws a monkey wrench into your thoughts..

"Remember: they CREATE the Problems, and then Offer the Solutions"