Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Generic Duragesic patch
    md2003 is offline New Member

By the way folks, as Moodstar stated:

CNN.COM

Deaths spur FDA painkiller patch warning
    Friday, July 15, 2005; Posted: 4:47 p.m. EDT (20:47 GMT)

Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
    Health Organizations

Bottom of Form 1
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government is investigating 120 deaths among users of patches that emit the painkiller fentanyl and warned patients Friday to be sure to use the powerful narcotic properly to avoid accidental overdose.
    The Food and Drug Administration is probing whether any of the deaths are related to inappropriate use of the painkiller or factors related to the product's quality.
    At least some may have been accidental overdoses, and reports suggest patients or prescribers weren't aware of crucial safety information on the drug's label, said FDA's Dr. Robert Meyer. That prompted Friday's unusual public health advisory.
    "Here are important warnings -- pay attention to them," Meyer said.
    Among the warnings in patient information sheets issued Friday:
    Fentanyl patches can cause trouble breathing, which can be fatal. Get emergency help if you have trouble breathing or extreme drowsiness with slowed breathing; feel faint, dizzy, confused; or have other unusual symptoms. They can be signs that you were prescribed too high a dose or took too much.
    Fentanyl patches are only for round-the-clock pain that is moderate to severe and expected to last for weeks.
    The patches should not be your first narcotic painkiller; they're only for people whose bodies are used to morphine or related painkillers known as opioids.
    Do not use fentanyl patches if you have sudden or severe asthma, or a gastrointestinal problem called paralytic ileus.
    Store patches out of reach of children and dispose of them by sticking the adhesive sides together and flushing down the toilet, not in trash cans where children can find them.
    Abuse of fentanyl patches is a recurring problem because they contain such a high concentration of the controlled substance. But Meyer said the current concern stems from legitimate patient use.
    "The directions ... must be followed exactly to prevent death or other severe side effects from overdosing," the FDA warned in letters to doctors that also advise prescribing the lowest possible dose.
    The patches were first approved under the brand name Duragesic in 1990, and a generic version hit the market in February. FDA has reports of death among users of both, Meyer said. It's not unusual to receive increased side-effect reports shortly after a new product reaches consumers, he said.
    Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

RONNIE LECKOW is offline Junior Member

Okay...I joined this conversation to talk to other pain sufferers, who had a problem with the generic patch! Now Moodstar...while several of us ,including myself, who let's face it, are not your friends or even your acquaintances...have offered you our condolenses...simply because you seemed to feel we owed them to you, WE don't know you, nor did we know your father and your demanding that we sympathize with you was silly at it's best and quite childish to be sure. As for our 'twisting your words'...it never happened...your words are right here for all to see. If you feel we don't apreciate your thoughts ...it's probally because you're issueing edicts on a subject you no nothing about. You are NOT a cronic pain sufferer...nor have YOU used the patch...and neither experience can be assimilated though another! The investigation you mentioned, does not claim that there is something inherently bad with the patch...it says it's being abused...just like any other drug...and the investigation will probally lead to a warning on the package.
    Now I called you Tom Cruz...because the man has been running around...screaming at the top of his voice that he..and only he understands mental illness, and only his views on medication for mental illness are worthwhile. You seem to be of the same mind in this situation...and clearly intend to browbeat this list until everybody says you're right. Well honey...I hope you are a tireless typist...because I don't agree with anyone...just to passify them!
    So call your lawyer and write your letters to judges and representitives...but they also..will not be impressed by the rantings of someone with no experience with the drug.
    I'm truely sorry if the others in this group feel this letter is inapropreate...but I just couldn't hold my 'tongue'. I...as many of you have found relief from long time pain from this drug...and the thought of someone who has knowledge of the situatuion...and is not a doctor or pharmacist or researcher, trying to take it away from me, or tell me how or when to use it, was just more than I could stand.

dstaley is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by RONNIE LECKOW

I'm truely sorry if the others in this group feel this letter is inapropreate...but I just couldn't hold my 'tongue'. I...as many of you have found relief from long time pain from this drug...and the thought of someone who has knowledge of the situatuion...and is not a doctor or pharmacist or researcher, trying to take it away from me, or tell me how or when to use it, was just more than I could stand.
    No Ronnie .... I personally agree with your post completely and have also grown very frustrated with having to defend my rights. No words have been changed as now there's *5* pages on this subject. That is a common reaction when an discussion is not being agreed upon. I'll go one step further, and I'm sure many if not all long time Duragesic users have experienced over many years;

When it is time to change my patches I bare one side of my chest, now I swab and clean the area with alcohol, put the new patch on and apply pressure, and also now warm it with a hair dryer then more pressure to make it fast. This isn't the procedure that they promote .... but due to lack of sticking and sharing information on this board with fellow users this works for me. Here's the kicker .......

Many times I have forgotten to take off the previous patch! Yeah, extra dose. Not OVERDOSE, extra dose. Even though I'm on the 75 strength, there are those with much stronger doses.

I was on a mailing list due to my doctor wanting me to go to the morophene pump and people on there were prescribed two 100 mcgph patches by their doctors prior to progressing to the pain pump. So I've noticed that as with every other drug out there ... you can become immune to the dosage and hence the progressive prescriptions we've all here experienced in our progression from low strenth drugs such as Vioxx and Percoset's to where we are now. Beyond what you might think, our doctors didn't have us walk into their offices and be prescribed Duragesic patches on the *first* visit, and I think *my* family would stop that without a second opinion!

You name it, and we've taken it. I've personally taken over 20 different medications for extended periods. Right now I'm on 75 mcgph Duragesic every 3 days, Zanafelx 4MG 3x per day, Neurontin 600MG 3x a day, and Vallium 5MG 3x a day and getting ready to have my meds increased again. (Over the last 5 years it's been increased many times) I'm not only *not* dead ..... but have carried on a lucid discussion with you in your campaign against the medication discussed on the forum. Without, might I add, changing your words. And there are those here that are on stronger medications than I am!

Moodstar53 take the condolences of complete strangers and go forth and sue. It is your right ..... and sue everyone you can find everywhere. That's the way it's done in America, but you better do it while you can because that's changing. Then, next time you go to the hospital or your doctor complain about the rising fees due to malpractice insurance costs. I don't know how old you are but it's called the "Trickel Down Theory". It trickels down to the small people ... you and me. And 120 deaths from *any* drug is extemely small .... but you can do the research on that. Try cafepharm.com .... maybe you can find all the information there that you want I guess. I have a feeling your not here anymore though as you didn't accomplish what you wanted to accomplish, whatever that was. Maybe someone will forward this to you in email which is fine by me.

As far as the CNN article and the FDA "investigation" ..... here's what it has finalized at from their investigation, so relax everyone: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/fentanyl.htm

"Therefore, FDA is issuing this public health advisory to alert patients and their caregivers and health care professionals by highlighting the following important safety information:

* Fentanyl skin patches are very strong narcotic (opioid) painkillers that may cause death from overdose. The fentanyl skin patch should always be prescribed at the lowest dose needed for pain relief.

* Fentanyl skin patches should not be used to treat short-term pain, pain that is not constant, or for pain after an operation. Fentanyl skin patches should only be used by patients who are already taking other narcotic painkillers (opioid tolerant), and who have chronic pain that is not well controlled with shorter-acting painkillers.

* Patients who are using the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be told about the directions for safe use of the patch and should follow the directions exactly. These directions are provided in the patient package insert

* Patients who are using the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be told about safe methods for storage and disposal of used, unneeded or defective fentanyl skin patches. Fentanyl skin patches should be stored in a safe place and kept out of the reach of children. Safely dispose of used, unneeded or defective fentanyl skin patches by folding the sticky side of the patch together (until it sticks to itself) and flushing it down the toilet.

* Health care professionals who prescribe the fentanyl skin patch and patients who use the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be aware of the signs of fentanyl overdose. Signs of fentanyl overdose include trouble breathing or shallow breathing; tiredness, extreme sleepiness or sedation; inability to think, talk or walk normally; and feeling faint, dizzy or confused. If these signs occur, patients or their caregivers should get medical attention right away.

* A patient using the fentanyl skin patch may have a sudden and possible dangerous rise in their body level of fentanyl or have a stronger effect from fentanyl if they: use other medicines that affect brain function; drink alcohol (beer, wine or distilled spirits); have an increase in body temperature or are exposed to heat; or use other medicines that affect how fentanyl is broken down in the body. These factors are described further in the product label.

In June 2005 the Duragesic product label was updated to add new safety information in several areas of labeling, and a “Dear Healthcare Professional” letter about these changes was issued by the manufacturer and is available at this link (http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2...agesic_ddl.pdf). FDA continues to work with the manufacturers of these products to identify and manage factors that contribute to fentanyl overdose from use of the fentanyl skin patch. Updates will be provided as new information is available."

Later .....
    dstaley

-----------------------------
    There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

moodstar53 is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by TimRobo

I hope you find peace after you have your revenge, which seems to be what you are after. You truly care nothing about those of us who find relief in this medication and your words need not be twisted to see that. Interesting observation, when my 80 some year old father is in the hospital, I always make sure what he is prescribed is proper treatment. And I ask questions. I am sorry you didn't do that. And I suppose you are, too.
    Not revenge--it's called JUSTICE. We questioned my father's meds too--you're not the only person who has done that. But, we were not the doctor, who has a responsibility to uphold what his profession require, let alone the abide by the guidelines for prescribing controlled substances (opiods) set forth by DEA, FDA and medical board. If you think for one minute I feel any quilt, you're wrong honey. The few "bad" doctors must be weeded out. You're rigt, at this point I do not care for any of you after you have showed your true "colors." You're nothing bet a bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer.

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

No Ronnie .... I personally agree with your post completely and have also grown very frustrated with having to defend my rights. No words have been changed as now there's *5* pages on this subject. That is a common reaction when an discussion is not being agreed upon. I'll go one step further, and I'm sure many if not all long time Duragesic users have experienced over many years;

When it is time to change my patches I bare one side of my chest, now I swab and clean the area with alcohol, put the new patch on and apply pressure, and also now warm it with a hair dryer then more pressure to make it fast. This isn't the procedure that they promote .... but due to lack of sticking and sharing information on this board with fellow users this works for me. Here's the kicker .......

Many times I have forgotten to take off the previous patch! Yeah, extra dose. Not OVERDOSE, extra dose. Even though I'm on the 75 strength, there are those with much stronger doses.

I was on a mailing list due to my doctor wanting me to go to the morophene pump and people on there were prescribed two 100 mcgph patches by their doctors prior to progressing to the pain pump. So I've noticed that as with every other drug out there ... you can become immune to the dosage and hence the progressive prescriptions we've all here experienced in our progression from low strenth drugs such as Vioxx and Percoset's to where we are now. Beyond what you might think, our doctors didn't have us walk into their offices and be prescribed Duragesic patches on the *first* visit, and I think *my* family would stop that without a second opinion!

You name it, and we've taken it. I've personally taken over 20 different medications for extended periods. Right now I'm on 75 mcgph Duragesic every 3 days, Zanafelx 4MG 3x per day, Neurontin 600MG 3x a day, and Vallium 5MG 3x a day and getting ready to have my meds increased again. (Over the last 5 years it's been increased many times) I'm not only *not* dead ..... but have carried on a lucid discussion with you in your campaign against the medication discussed on the forum. Without, might I add, changing your words. And there are those here that are on stronger medications than I am!

Moodstar53 take the condolences of complete strangers and go forth and sue. It is your right ..... and sue everyone you can find everywhere. That's the way it's done in America, but you better do it while you can because that's changing. Then, next time you go to the hospital or your doctor complain about the rising fees due to malpractice insurance costs. I don't know how old you are but it's called the "Trickel Down Theory". It trickels down to the small people ... you and me. And 120 deaths from *any* drug is extemely small .... but you can do the research on that. Try cafepharm.com .... maybe you can find all the information there that you want I guess. I have a feeling your not here anymore though as you didn't accomplish what you wanted to accomplish, whatever that was. Maybe someone will forward this to you in email which is fine by me.

As far as the CNN article and the FDA "investigation" ..... here's what it has finalized at from their investigation, so relax everyone: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/fentanyl.htm

"Therefore, FDA is issuing this public health advisory to alert patients and their caregivers and health care professionals by highlighting the following important safety information:

* Fentanyl skin patches are very strong narcotic (opioid) painkillers that may cause death from overdose. The fentanyl skin patch should always be prescribed at the lowest dose needed for pain relief.

* Fentanyl skin patches should not be used to treat short-term pain, pain that is not constant, or for pain after an operation. Fentanyl skin patches should only be used by patients who are already taking other narcotic painkillers (opioid tolerant), and who have chronic pain that is not well controlled with shorter-acting painkillers.

* Patients who are using the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be told about the directions for safe use of the patch and should follow the directions exactly. These directions are provided in the patient package insert

* Patients who are using the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be told about safe methods for storage and disposal of used, unneeded or defective fentanyl skin patches. Fentanyl skin patches should be stored in a safe place and kept out of the reach of children. Safely dispose of used, unneeded or defective fentanyl skin patches by folding the sticky side of the patch together (until it sticks to itself) and flushing it down the toilet.

* Health care professionals who prescribe the fentanyl skin patch and patients who use the fentanyl skin patch and their caregivers should be aware of the signs of fentanyl overdose. Signs of fentanyl overdose include trouble breathing or shallow breathing; tiredness, extreme sleepiness or sedation; inability to think, talk or walk normally; and feeling faint, dizzy or confused. If these signs occur, patients or their caregivers should get medical attention right away.

* A patient using the fentanyl skin patch may have a sudden and possible dangerous rise in their body level of fentanyl or have a stronger effect from fentanyl if they: use other medicines that affect brain function; drink alcohol (beer, wine or distilled spirits); have an increase in body temperature or are exposed to heat; or use other medicines that affect how fentanyl is broken down in the body. These factors are described further in the product label.

In June 2005 the Duragesic product label was updated to add new safety information in several areas of labeling, and a “Dear Healthcare Professional” letter about these changes was issued by the manufacturer and is available at this link (http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2...agesic_ddl.pdf). FDA continues to work with the manufacturers of these products to identify and manage factors that contribute to fentanyl overdose from use of the fentanyl skin patch. Updates will be provided as new information is available."

Later .....
    dstaley

There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams
    dstaley,
    You of all people, who didn't want to her any info I had intially, now it's national news and here you are posting what CNN carried and what the FDA (not moodstar53) says about it. Let's see you e-mail the FDA and go on and on about how you don't want to hear their warnings, after all, that's what you said to me. YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF LIARS ALSO, go back and see if I stated anywhere that I was going to sue.I'm filing a complaint with the med board--that's not a law suit, but just so you know, if I could have done that, I would have. You all seem to want to protect the doctor in my case, who I have said all along is the person responsible, not the drug.

quote:Originally posted by moodstar53

dstaley,
    You of all people, who didn't want to her any info I had intially, now it's national news and here you are posting what CNN carried and what the FDA (not moodstar53) says about it. Let's see you e-mail the FDA and go on and on about how you don't want to hear their warnings, after all, that's what you said to me. YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF LIARS ALSO, go back and see if I stated anywhere that I was going to sue.I'm filing a complaint with the med board--that's not a law suit, but just so you know, if I could have done that, I would have. You all seem to want to protect the doctor in my case, who I have said all along is the person responsible, not the drug.
    People, this isn't going to be nice so don't read it, 'k?

Moodstar53, you know I've had just about enough of this discourse when someone tells me "You're nothing bet a bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer." Such a childish outburst .... you need to be turned over someone's knee after everyone genuinely expressed condolences for your loss! Yeah, that's what I did in a long post that took quite a while to write as I wanted to make sure that you understood that we do understand your loss!! Liars indeed. I'm not going to write the FDA ..... they didn't do anything wrong! Grow the hell up lady, the world doesn't revolve around you even *with* your terrible loss!

I'm still waiting for your response where to find on that "dial a date" website http://www.cafepharm.com I can find what Janssen's own sales reps say about it by the way. I doubt you'll find it. I'd really like to see it though because my doctor works for *me* and I don't let them do anything without my approval. I'm one of the few it seems that don't think they walk on water and question everything that they do to me and to my loved ones. And I've had more experience with doctors, as everyone on this forum has, than I hope you'll have in your entire lifetime!

I'm not defending your doctor and no one else here has either. Quote where anyone has said that he's such a nice guy and did the right thing!!! Your right, I don't remember you saying anything about filing a law suit though .... that was our idea. Someone here mentioned it would be much more effective. And talk about showing true colors ..... it would be much more effective than what your doing which is just running around crying about this to anyone who would listen. Well "honey", this solder isn't going to listen anymore.

You must be *some kind* of a jerk to come on a board of disabled people that has expressed genuine sympathy to you and tried to explain to you it's not the drug you should fight it's the asshole doctor. All anyone has tried to do was to help you direct your anger to the right place. And your response when you don't get the "right" feedback is "You're nothing bet a bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer."

Do you realize that you have no idea how we got the injuries that cause this pain?? That some here prob got it, as I did, ensuring you the rights and freedoms to be able to complain in the first place??? Fighting somewhere else so you can fight and complain here!! Man ... Janssen, the FDA, Mylan, Sandoze and that jerk doctor are going to make you look like the child that you are when they get ahold of you. This is big business your talking about here .... "honey" (as you referred to TimRobo). Look back to Stingray's post on 2-2-05 .... "Johnson & Johnson's annual sales for the patch is about $1.63 Billion"! That's BILLION. Their going to do exactly what they've done already, if you'll read the posts and check their websites. They reminded doctors it's an Opioid and tell doctors and patients to read the label. Check it out .... that's all the FDA did. They've proven it's safe when used as directed, pointed out possible side affects, and put it in the hands of the doctors as another tool they can use for pain. They're not there to slap the hands of every doctor who misuses it. That's not their position!! That's why we tried to explain to you; that you should sue the doctor, to keep you from wasting your time!

It's people like you that try to change gun laws and take our guns away instead of going after the real criminal, the person that pulled the trigger. Go after the person that pulled the trigger, the doctor, and leave everyone else alone! Heck, you'd blame your pencil if you mis-spelled a word.

I'm out of this conversation as I don't deal well with stupidity and cryers. I've gone through three open spinal surguries due to an overseas conflict in uniform and don't even *want* you to say "gee .... I'm really sorry for your injuries" so you go find support and help from someone else. I don't feel like being nice anymore which is all I've ever been to you, and it's all right there to look back at, and I sure don't want to be nasty. That won't bring your father back, slam that doctors head against the wall, help you to grow up or overcome your greaving loss .... whichever's causing you to have your head up your butt, or give you the support you need.

RONNIE LECKOW was indeed right ..... full blown Tom Cruz syndrome. Everyone is wrong and liars, and your right with all the answers that you just keep repeating because you've read a few websites.

Flake off lady .... I grow weary of your whinning. I want to talk to everyone else about the pain that "we all deserve" and how we're dealing with it.
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

quote:Originally posted by moodstar53

dstaley,
    People, this isn't going to be nice so don't read it, 'k?

Moodstar53, you know I've had just about enough of this discourse when someone tells me "You're nothing bet a bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer." Such a childish outburst .... you need to be turned over someone's knee after everyone genuinely expressed condolences for your loss! Yeah, that's what I did in a long post that took quite a while to write as I wanted to make sure that you understood that we do understand your loss!! Liars indeed. I'm not going to write the FDA ..... they didn't do anything wrong! Grow the hell up lady, the world doesn't revolve around you even *with* your terrible loss!

I'm still waiting for your response where to find on that "dial a date" website http://www.cafepharm.com I can find what Janssen's own sales reps say about it by the way. I doubt you'll find it. I'd really like to see it though because my doctor works for *me* and I don't let them do anything without my approval. I'm one of the few it seems that don't think they walk on water and question everything that they do to me and to my loved ones. And I've had more experience with doctors, as everyone on this forum has, than I hope you'll have in your entire lifetime!

I'm not defending your doctor and no one else here has either. Quote where anyone has said that he's such a nice guy and did the right thing!!! Your right, I don't remember you saying anything about filing a law suit though .... that was our idea. Someone here mentioned it would be much more effective. And talk about showing true colors ..... it would be much more effective than what your doing which is just running around crying about this to anyone who would listen. Well "honey", this solder isn't going to listen anymore.

You must be *some kind* of a jerk to come on a board of disabled people that has expressed genuine sympathy to you and tried to explain to you it's not the drug you should fight it's the asshole doctor. All anyone has tried to do was to help you direct your anger to the right place. And your response when you don't get the "right" feedback is "You're nothing bet a bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer."

Do you realize that you have no idea how we got the injuries that cause this pain?? That some here prob got it, as I did, ensuring you the rights and freedoms to be able to complain in the first place??? Fighting somewhere else so you can fight and complain here!! Man ... Janssen, the FDA, Mylan, Sandoze and that jerk doctor are going to make you look like the child that you are when they get ahold of you. This is big business your talking about here .... "honey" (as you referred to TimRobo). Look back to Stingray's post on 2-2-05 .... "Johnson & Johnson's annual sales for the patch is about $1.63 Billion"! That's BILLION. Their going to do exactly what they've done already, if you'll read the posts and check their websites. They reminded doctors it's an Opioid and tell doctors and patients to read the label. Check it out .... that's all the FDA did. They've proven it's safe when used as directed, pointed out possible side affects, and put it in the hands of the doctors as another tool they can use for pain. They're not there to slap the hands of every doctor who misuses it. That's not their position!! That's why we tried to explain to you; that you should sue the doctor, to keep you from wasting your time!

It's people like you that try to change gun laws and take our guns away instead of going after the real criminal, the person that pulled the trigger. Go after the person that pulled the trigger, the doctor, and leave everyone else alone! Heck, you'd blame your pencil if you mis-spelled a word.

I'm out of this conversation as I don't deal well with stupidity and cryers. I've gone through three open spinal surguries due to an overseas conflict in uniform and don't even *want* you to say "gee .... I'm really sorry for your injuries" so you go find support and help from someone else. I don't feel like being nice anymore which is all I've ever been to you, and it's all right there to look back at, and I sure don't want to be nasty. That won't bring your father back, slam that doctors head against the wall, help you to grow up or overcome your greaving loss .... whichever's causing you to have your head up your butt, or give you the support you need.

RONNIE LECKOW was indeed right ..... full blown Tom Cruz syndrome. Everyone is wrong and liars, and your right with all the answers that you just keep repeating because you've read a few websites.

Flake off lady .... I grow weary of your whinning. I want to talk to everyone else about the pain that "we all deserve" and how we're dealing with it.
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams
    dstaley,

I emailed you Saturday stating that I had left off the "a" in cafepharma, maybe you didn't get it, or maybe was too overmedicated to notice. Go to this site, do a search on Duragesic, and you can go to Janssen's and Johnson and Johnson's pages, from there you have to just search, I don't remember the exact pages, there are too many. I don't even know why I'm taking the time to tell you this after your nasty post above. One thing for sure, it's all there for anyone to see how and "who" started all this! Anyone (other than your fellow pain sufferers) on this board would see where it all started. Today, their most recent statements are about the FDA warnings. That was a month or so ago when I read what a few reps had to say about it.

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

Well said dstaley,I agree with you 100%......Dave

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

Dave my friend, thank you very much but let's get away from all this childish **** and get back to reality, 'k? No more dstaley >> moodstar53 .... anyone else >> moodstar53, or any other childish stuff ... I don't even know where she came from except to warn us about our medication, tell us of her loss, and ..... never mind I just hoped everyone's enjoyed it.

Maybe it's because I actually wanted to help at one time but that time is gone trust me. I don't even *know* how I made myself the center of attention or anyone's therapist and for that I'm very sorry to everyone here for disrupting the forum and helping to provide free humor.

Let's just let it go ..... and go on with life 'cause I'm not even going to respond to her anymore or anyone else that says to any of us that we're a "bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer". I lost the patience to raise another child and I "was too overmedicated" to read my email, remember? I hurt too much; the same as everyone else on this list, to bang my head against a wall anymore and would still risk my health to give her the right to preach to us. It's over everyone ... she won and I gave up and everyone can find other entertainment. I'll let you know where to send monitary compensation for the entertainment later on .... You just can't take people like that serious. No one else does.

Blessings .....
    Dennis

-- James Truslow Adams

busted_hip is offline New Member

hello ive been using the sandoz 50's and i did not know there was an alternative type or brand but as far sticking Ive only had one come off also I take regular showers with them on and no problems. I put them on my outer thigh and i clean the area first with alchahol swab first this seems to work better for me. I just recently went down to 25's due to 50's being to strong for me.

thanks for all the info
    chris.

sometime I wake up grumpy,
    other times I let her sleep.

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

I agree!!!!Let's get back to the real issues and help people.....Dave

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

Dave my friend, thank you very much but let's get away from all this childish **** and get back to reality, 'k? No more dstaley >> moodstar53 .... anyone else >> moodstar53, or any other childish stuff ... I don't even know where she came from except to warn us about our medication, tell us of her loss, and ..... never mind I just hoped everyone's enjoyed it.

Maybe it's because I actually wanted to help at one time but that time is gone trust me. I don't even *know* how I made myself the center of attention or anyone's therapist and for that I'm very sorry to everyone here for disrupting the forum and helping to provide free humor.

Let's just let it go ..... and go on with life 'cause I'm not even going to respond to her anymore or anyone else that says to any of us that we're a "bunch of selfish, self-centered, whinning, cultish complainers who deserve every bit of pain you suffer". I lost the patience to raise another child and I "was too overmedicated" to read my email, remember? I hurt too much; the same as everyone else on this list, to bang my head against a wall anymore and would still risk my health to give her the right to preach to us. It's over everyone ... she won and I gave up and everyone can find other entertainment. I'll let you know where to send monitary compensation for the entertainment later on .... You just can't take people like that serious. No one else does.

Blessings .....
    Dennis

-- James Truslow Adams
    dstaley,

(I'm tired of the childish exchanges also, but it takes two to tango.)

No one won or lost. My very first post tells you where I came from and finally, finally you realized that all I did was to warn you of it, and that turned out to be a major crime on "this" board. Was warning you such a bad thing to do? I'm done with this too, that is, unless someone decides to come back with another nasty reply and it will start over. "Kick a dog over and over, and eventually it will bite back" which is how I came to make the nasty remarks I made. But that's over, I sincerely wish all of you luck with your pain, and I do think it's genuine. I think I deserve some of the "entertainment money" since I was a key player.
    Again, I'm done with this, I too have many other things going on in my life.

I'm outta here.
    moodstar53

well i just got back from walgreens and they have switched to mylan
    so no more sandoz for me it does not look impressive to me but ill let you know what i think of it later...

Chris

My Walgreens...has always dispensed the Mylan brand. When I asked him to get me the Sandoz...he looked into it and told me he wasn't allowed to order anything but Mylan. After some research...I found that Save-On and Merck Medco...dispense only Sandoz...so shop around..you'll find the good stuff!
    As for the recent entertainment...I think this group needs some rules as to slamming insults and anyone whose only ambition is to be told they're right!

quote:Originally posted by busted_hip

well i just got back from walgreens and they have switched to mylan
    so no more sandoz for me it does not look impressive to me but ill let you know what i think of it later...

Chris
    I know Chris, it didn't look all that impressive to me either, but I find that it sticks better for me at least and I don't have the allergic reactions to it that I do with Sandoz and even with Jenssen after a while. Though, I wonder at their dosage as someone else posted about (sorry, I forgot who it was) so let us know if you notice any difference, 'k?? I even had CVS order it in for me instead of the others. They were really sweet about it, surprising me with it on my next refill!! I thought they'd forget! Cudo's to them from my view!

but as far sticking Ive only had one come off also I take regular showers with them on and no problems. I put them on my outer thigh and i clean the area first with alchahol swab first this seems to work better for me. I just recently went down to 25's due to 50's being to strong for me.
    Your lucky .... I seem to be one of the one's that have oily skin or something. Even when I was on the Jenssens they had to ship me the Bioclusives for a long time because I had trouble with them. Now, with having to jump through hoops to get the Bioclusives I don't use them. Need a prescription which I have. Need a letter from the doctor stating why I need them which the doctor is too busy to do. Sheesh. So .... no water therapy for me (damn it!), even though the doctor said I should do it. Seals like water!

I've never tried it on the outside of my thigh. You have to shave the hair off first .... right? Do you see any difference from putting it on the chest? It would be great having another place to put it since going from one side of my chest to the other doesn't seem to give enough time to keep down allergic reactions. Wonderful idea .... thank you! Anyone else have different sites you have luck with? It's good to be able to move them around some.

Blessings .....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

I tried it on my chest...the itch was unbareable! Same on my back...which is where the doc suggested. I have best results with my arms. I don't think skin type has anything to do with the 'stickability'. I think it has more to do with size. If you're a bit hefty...which I am...the skin is not as tight and doesn't have the surface tension as the Twiggy type. I use the covering. BUt...I cut it down some so it just covers the patch. Haven't tried my thighs...gonna give it a try tonight.

I put it on my thigh because I thought it would work on my hip better there...lol
    but i found that it stayed there pretty good and got good circulation plus i lay on my side at nite so it stayed better I thought.

I tried on my chest one time and it came of during the night because I sleep on my side and about 225 lbs so it peeled right off from that spot.

thanks for you input also....
    ill tell you how I like these later.

"side and about 225 lbs "

See...I'm telling ya...Our weight has something to do with it! I'm almost 270...my skin just doesn't grab it.

"side and about 225 lbs "

See...I'm telling ya...Our weight has something to do with it! I'm almost 270...my skin just doesn't grab it.
    Nah, I still don't think so. I'm 165 at 5' 8" and it doesn't grab my skin without the rubbing alcohol and hair dryer thing either.

I *wish* I could have some of you guys beef though .... I can't gain weight on these meds to save my soul. I just don't have any appitite at all. One of my four doctors joked one time that he was going to prescribe *reefer* to me to give me an appitite. Sadly .... he was joking.

Glad to get some feedback on locations though, thanks!

Blessings ....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

(I *wish* I could have some of you guys beef though )
    How much do you want...I'll priority mail it to you right away!

TimRobo is offline New Member

Even though they have changed their procedure, I still receive the Bioclusive overlays and would be in real trouble without them. Main difference is that I have to give them a code number off the box of Duragesic. Get the pharmacist to give you a number to use since you don't have to prove it. Or I can post a number here for everyone to share. Can't bust me if they don't know who I am. Three months in a row, the number on the Duragesic box was the same so it must encompass a large number of boxes. Interesting, my brother also uses the patch. He and I are almost built identical. He has no trouble whatsoever and I can only get them to stay with the Bioclusive. I do perspire a lot and have always done so. And he also does. So who knows what the cause is. I have also never heard of any other type of patch, such as hormones, testosterone and others not sticking well. Seems complaints apply strickly to the pain patches. I always wear mine on my upper arm. When applying on hairy areas be sure to snip not shave. My hair dryer method still works best for me. Hmmmmmm......wonder what would happen if it melted.

quote:Originally posted by TimRobo

Even though they have changed their procedure, I still receive the Bioclusive overlays and would be in real trouble without them. Main difference is that I have to give them a code number off the box of Duragesic. Get the pharmacist to give you a number to use since you don't have to prove it. Or I can post a number here for everyone to share. Can't bust me if they don't know who I am.
    Hey there Tim .... I just sent you an email through this silly system so watch for it ... 'k? I don't know how this works, so if you don't get it or there's a problem let me know.

Thanks ....
    Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams

Oh yeah Ill chip in and overnite ya some too....

Oh yeah Ill chip in and overnite ya some too....

Hey you guys and gals .... send me all you want to get rid of because I'm tired of looking like skin and bones.

And Tim, got your email and thank you very much. I've responded to you already .... and included a thought since we're on the 6th page of this and I don't know how many pages they allow for "Latest Drug Related News".

Blessings ......
    Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams

leana is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Lynxspirit

I just started the Duragesic patches about a month and a half ago instead of Percocet, and did not have a problem with using them other than inadequate pain relief. My doctor increased them from 25 to 50 after a couple weeks and, even though I am uneasy at using this strong a pain killer continuously for fear of developing a tolerance I am going to discuss another increase, from 50 to 75, at our next appointment in a few weeks. However, when I filled my last prescription last week, I got the generic (Sandoz) instead of the brand and they will not remain stuck. Whenever I sweat they come off, with no warning, and within a matter of hours of applying them. In a little over a week I have applied 7 patches, but have not had any one of them on for even half a day. I am following the instructions in the insert, which states to apply a new patch to replace one that comes off too soon. I have left 2 messages for my doctor since last week, but have gotten no response. She is only in 2 days a week, but I should have heard something by now. I believe she is either not getting the messages or I am not getting her response because she is good about answering all my concerns and this has happened before, several times, when the message or response was not recieved, but had been noted in my chart. I tried putting one of the patches that fell off back on with surgical tape, but apparently it had gotten damaged, even though I couldn't see any obvious holes, tears or folds because I suddenly became very sedated, disoriented and started going off into these "dreamscapes" shortly after re-applying it. I immediately removed it and I am afraid to try re-applying another patch that has come off again. The worst part is that I have a cat, one that frequently eats inedible things, and plastic is his favorite. I have 2 of the 7 patches still unaccounted for, and I have strained myself severely trying to find them out of fear of them killing my cat. I am now in much pain, and I am looking at over 2 weeks with no relief since this was a month's supply. I am going to contact my doctor's office again this morning and leave another message, but I am afraid to ask for anything else for fear of being thought of as "drug-seeking". I did not have this problem with the Duragesic brand or, for that matter with any adhesive patches, including those with my TENS unit. The brand name seemed to stay on until they were empty and even then I would feel them starting to unstick. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if anyone has a suggestion on how to keep them on or what I should do.

leana is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Lynxspirit

I just started the Duragesic patches about a month and a half ago instead of Percocet, and did not have a problem with using them other than inadequate pain relief. My doctor increased them from 25 to 50 after a couple weeks and, even though I am uneasy at using this strong a pain killer continuously for fear of developing a tolerance I am going to discuss another increase, from 50 to 75, at our next appointment in a few weeks. However, when I filled my last prescription last week, I got the generic (Sandoz) instead of the brand and they will not remain stuck. Whenever I sweat they come off, with no warning, and within a matter of hours of applying them. In a little over a week I have applied 7 patches, but have not had any one of them on for even half a day. I am following the instructions in the insert, which states to apply a new patch to replace one that comes off too soon. I have left 2 messages for my doctor since last week, but have gotten no response. She is only in 2 days a week, but I should have heard something by now. I believe she is either not getting the messages or I am not getting her response because she is good about answering all my concerns and this has happened before, several times, when the message or response was not recieved, but had been noted in my chart. I tried putting one of the patches that fell off back on with surgical tape, but apparently it had gotten damaged, even though I couldn't see any obvious holes, tears or folds because I suddenly became very sedated, disoriented and started going off into these "dreamscapes" shortly after re-applying it. I immediately removed it and I am afraid to try re-applying another patch that has come off again. The worst part is that I have a cat, one that frequently eats inedible things, and plastic is his favorite. I have 2 of the 7 patches still unaccounted for, and I have strained myself severely trying to find them out of fear of them killing my cat. I am now in much pain, and I am looking at over 2 weeks with no relief since this was a month's supply. I am going to contact my doctor's office again this morning and leave another message, but I am afraid to ask for anything else for fear of being thought of as "drug-seeking". I did not have this problem with the Duragesic brand or, for that matter with any adhesive patches, including those with my TENS unit. The brand name seemed to stay on until they were empty and even then I would feel them starting to unstick. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if anyone has a suggestion on how to keep them on or what I should do.

trixie is offline New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site and fairly new to the patches. Right now I'm on 100 mcg and using the Mylan which, while it does seem to stick better, does not seem to work as well as as the Sandoz. I've asked my pharmacy to get the Sandoz the next time. My doctor told me to put them on my arm or back and I'm getting a little confused by the talk of thighs and chests. Does one area work better than another? I'm a small person, does it matter if they are over muscle or bone? Sorry if these are stupid questions! Thanks for the tip about using a hairdryer to put it on, it does help!

quote:Originally posted by leana

[i]
    I just started the Duragesic patches about a month and a half ago instead of Percocet, and did not have a problem with using them other than inadequate pain relief. My doctor increased them from 25 to 50 after a couple weeks and, even though I am uneasy at using this strong a pain killer continuously for fear of developing a tolerance I am going to discuss another increase, from 50 to 75, at our next appointment in a few weeks.

Ok, now right here indicates a problem to me. Duragesic is ..... as quoted by some ..... 100 times stronger than morophene and it is *highly* addictive. You've been on them for a month and a half and you've gone from 25, to 50, and now are talking 75? I wasn't allowed to go up to 75 until we'd worked with it for over a year. I'd let the medication get into your system and give it a chance to do it's job instead of increasing, which it obviously isn't doing because your having a problem with it sticking. It has to have a fully stuck patch to get the medication into your system.

Which brings us to:

However, when I filled my last prescription last week, I got the generic (Sandoz) instead of the brand and they will not remain stuck. Whenever I sweat they come off, with no warning, and within a matter of hours of applying them. In a little over a week I have applied 7 patches, but have not had any one of them on for even half a day. I am following the instructions in the insert, which states to apply a new patch to replace one that comes off too soon.

Yep, if you'll try to read back (avoiding the war recenly) we've all had that trouble. The best thing that I've found since going on the generic brands, as was pointed out to me by our good friends here in the forum, was to clean the area very well with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab, put the patch on with the pressure for 30 seconds, then heat it with a hair dryer until it's nice and toasty then apply pressure again until it cools. I know, that's not the way they say to do it but it works. But before you do it ..... please keep reading!

Moving on with your wonderful post:

I have left 2 messages for my doctor since last week, but have gotten no response. She is only in 2 days a week, but I should have heard something by now. I believe she is either not getting the messages or I am not getting her response because she is good about answering all my concerns and this has happened before, several times, when the message or response was not recieved, but had been noted in my chart. I tried putting one of the patches that fell off back on with surgical tape, but apparently it had gotten damaged, even though I couldn't see any obvious holes, tears or folds because I suddenly became very sedated, disoriented and started going off into these "dreamscapes" shortly after re-applying it.

The dream scapes your experiencing is prob your body getting the full dose. Now a word of warning here .... when you stick the patch the way I said above some people have gotten a temporary increase in the patch's dosage, meaning dizy/light headed/dream scape. It's letting us know that the patch is giving more medication and will pass. I think you might want to consult your doctor before doing this because you've increased your dosage *extremely* fast and the extra dosage that this method will give you temporarally might not be a good thing. With it sticking completely you might be good to go at a dose of 25 instead of your present 50. All the Duragesic's, generic or not, have had a problem sticking. Jenessen addressed this with releasing to people that USE THEIR PATCHES a Bioplastic dressing to cover and help to stick. TimRobo turned us on to new info last night regarding that and I've already tried is. I'll let everyone know how it comes out for me and then maybe others can try it. More on that coming!!! Anyway, get ahold of your doctor who is prob busy reading incoming from the FDA about the patches and go over these thoughts with her before trying it. If you haven't been getting the medication all along and suddenly fill your system with a dose of 75 you *might* be looking for some trouble. So please check with her first, but know that alot of people here have had the sticking problem and there *is* ways around it. Your not alone there.

Then you say:

I immediately removed it and I am afraid to try re-applying another patch that has come off again. The worst part is that I have a cat, one that frequently eats inedible things, and plastic is his favorite. I have 2 of the 7 patches still unaccounted for, and I have strained myself severely trying to find them out of fear of them killing my cat. I am now in much pain, and I am looking at over 2 weeks with no relief since this was a month's supply. I am going to contact my doctor's office again this morning and leave another message, but I am afraid to ask for anything else for fear of being thought of as "drug-seeking". I did not have this problem with the Duragesic brand or, for that matter with any adhesive patches, including those with my TENS unit. The brand name seemed to stay on until they were empty and even then I would feel them starting to unstick. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if anyone has a suggestion on how to keep them on or what I should do.
    I know what you mean about the tape ..... that hasn't helped me either. As far as sticking another, either the way I told you or otherwise, talk to your doctor first. As far as the cats, I have several around the house too and your right they love chewing on plastic. So *ALWAYS* remember to follow the instructions in desposing of it. As far as it coming off and they find it and chew on it .... I always keep it covered with clothing and my shirt always keeps it inside. I've gotten in the habit of checking to make sure it's stuck when I take off my shirt and if not *I find it*. Your wearing a heavy medication, and you'll start paying close attention to it too. It's always foremost in my mind that I'm wearing it, I'm always touching it, and I know it's there. Of course, I've been on it almost 3 years.

I hope this has helped you as I'm going back to bed. It's one of the *bad* days. There is a way that we've found to help them stick but contact your doctor about whether you've been getting the medication all along and the thought of suddenly getting a 75 dose when you haven't been, but know the method that we've developed has worked for us and there may be bigger and better things coming. We're all users here and we've gone through it no matter whats happening. Ok? Your not alone.

Blessings .....
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

quote:Originally posted by trixie

Hi, I'm new to the site and fairly new to the patches. Right now I'm on 100 mcg and using the Mylan which, while it does seem to stick better, does not seem to work as well as as the Sandoz. I've asked my pharmacy to get the Sandoz the next time. My doctor told me to put them on my arm or back and I'm getting a little confused by the talk of thighs and chests. Does one area work better than another? I'm a small person, does it matter if they are over muscle or bone? Sorry if these are stupid questions! Thanks for the tip about using a hairdryer to put it on, it does help!
    Nah, moving them around just works best if you get an allergic reaction to them like I do. Even the brochure says to alternate locations. As far as over muscle/bone/fatty tissue .... I don't think it matters. Maybe someone else here has some input on that one cause I'm going to be trying new areas also.

Your right, the tip about the hair dryer works pretty good doesn't it? I'm going to have to go back in the posts to see who came up with it so they can get the credit that they deserve. It was a very good tip.

Blessings ......
    dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

TimRobo is offline New Member

The hair dryer was my suggestion. I don't use alcohol as that causes a rash. I just use a cotton cloth and water to rub the area. I then make sure it's dry and I heat the area with the hair dryer first. Once I have the patch on, I again apply some heat just to make the plastic more pliable. And it has worked fine for me. I got this idea from my doc who said to make sure I rubbed the patch real good to create heat to activate the adhesive. This got me thinking about heating the area first. I then saw how soft the patch got by applying a bit more warm air and started doing this after it was applied. I then apply pressure for about 30 seconds. I rotate arms and it seems to work even better if I can get it on the tricep where it doesn't tend to twist as much. Good luck to all. And by the way, I weigh around 290 lbs and it took me three years to advance from the 25 mcg to the 100 mcg and I have intense back pain so bad my wife has to help me move around at times. And by golly it works great for me. It has made a tremendous difference. My doctor feels the side effects for the Duragesic are not as bad as they are for Lortabs or Vicodan.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast