Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Generic Duragesic patch
    TimRobo is offline New Member

I would like to share with everyone on this board a philosophy I try to live by and I have taken great comfort in it's meaning. A great man (me, by the way) once said "There is no rationalizing irrationality!" It seems appropriate.

dstaley is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by TimRobo

A great man (me, by the way) once said "There is no rationalizing irrationality!" It seems appropriate.

Tim, your a Spoil Sport!!

Suzie .... I knew that you asked about the fatty tissue part but I really can't help much there. We talked a while ago that some of the members here were going to mail me some fat because I have no appetite, hence can't gain weight. But you might check back and get some different idea's about it from some members.

At the time my doctor joked he was going to prescribe grass for me to gain weight, but alas was only joking. That's where the Irrational One accused us of mailing grass to each other. But maybe some others might be able to give you some feedback on the Duragesic with fatty tissue part but you might have some trouble there. You'd have to find someone with both so they can give you a comparison on that.

Blessings ......
    Dennis

-----------------------------
    There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

RONNIE LECKOW is offline Junior Member

<euthanized many elderly people during Katrina. >

How much more peaceful, might the world have been, if only YOU had been in New Oeleans!

quote:Originally posted by RONNIE LECKOW

<euthanized many elderly people during Katrina. >

How much more peaceful, might the world have been, if only YOU had been in New Oeleans!

Very cute! Today I cleaned my plasma monitor, Austin's and Matthew's (my sons). Now ..... you post this, Michy spit's Soda all over her screen ..... that'll make *four* plasma monitors cleaned in one day!

Blessings .....
    dstaley

There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams

quote:Originally posted by moodstar53

Very cute indeed. Since you are so worthless, why not become a standup comedian? (dstaley is not contributing any at all to society, he'll come to see you). Can you people ever answer a question without evading?? I guess not when you know the truth. And you are in pain and I'm not. Hhmmm... Wonder why??
    I got the part that Ronnie is worthless so should be a comedian, and that I'm not a contributing part of society so I should go watch her act .... but beyond that I have no idea what she's saying except that we're in pain and she's not. Am I missing anything important here???

Also, Suzie, were you able to find that discusssion about fatty tissue and the patches that I mentioned? If not, I think I can find it .....

dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams

moodstar53 is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

Very cute indeed. Since you are so worthless, why not become a standup comedian? (dstaley is not contributing any at all to society, he'll come to see you). Can you people ever answer a question without evading?? I guess not when you know the truth. And you are in pain and I'm not. Hhmmm... Wonder why??
    I got the part that Ronnie is worthless so should be a comedian, and that I'm not a contributing part of society so I should go watch her act .... but beyond that I have no idea what she's saying except that we're in pain and she's not. Am I missing anything important here???

Also, Suzie, were you able to find that discusssion about fatty tissue and the patches that I mentioned? If not, I think I can find it .....

dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams
    Since you don't know it, you're missing a LOT of important things. Your time would be better spent in disciplining your unruly boys.

Paulie42652 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

dstaley

-- James Truslow Adams
    Since you don't know it, you're missing a LOT of important things. Your time would be better spent in disciplining your unruly boys.
    Hey Moodstar..why don't you go over the Alliance for the Mentally Ill boards? I am sure there are lots of folks there that are use to hearing people spout crazyass BS. Boy, you got a lot to spare. Send some that way..

What is your huge contribution to society? I believe Dennis has told us he is a veteran, might even be a disabled veteran. He is probably regretting fighting for Our freedrom now, since he realized it includes people like you.!

What is your critical position that you can sit at your PC 19 hours a day and spout ****? Myself I work for an information technology company (one of the forture top 10 baby...big and blue). My responsibilites require having access to multiple PCs on multiple networks..for multiple hours a day. So I can pay good taxes, and probably subsidize your foodstamps.

Why don't you start perusing the real estate ads in your area? I read they are putting up a wallmart smack in the middle of that trailer park you live in. Maybe you can upgrade to a double wide? What a country.

To ALL MY FRIENDS. Thanks for your feedback on my polls. We have not started to tabulate the votes, so if you can please get your opinion in.

Paul

Ah, a secret kept, and I'm missing *alot* of important things. Not the first time for either that's for sure. Disciplining my unruly boys???? Wow, since you don't even *know* my boys, and *that* is all you come back with ..... we're finally seeing moodstar having a melt down everyone and all this entertainment is coming to an end. My big brother can beat up your big brother! [] We can stop the "Showboating". Once again, I'm sorry for all the noise everyone, I just have always hated to see anyone jump down a new posters throat. Especially when they have nothing to add to the discussion.

<Military comments edited out at 12:15 pm EST by dstaley as it has nothing to do with the Duragesic Patch Forum>

I'm glad you got some help with your poll with all this distraction Paul. It'd be kind of neat to see the results if you feel like sharing. Like I said, in my opinion your wife's company's company (?) Sandoz is that they make a very good product.

But once again, I'm sure the Mylan works pretty good for other people, and it does seem to stick better when used by it's self with no dressing.

Blessings ...... especially to moodstar. She seems to need a friend about now ..... meltdowns can be so very bad for the ego,
    Dennis

-- James Truslow Adams

herbiejr is offline New Member

Hi guys and gals and .....others,
    I have watched and read this forum foa about a year now. I have learned many good things about dealing with chronic pain. I have tried all the patches and the best is Janssen, second best is Sandoz. I don't like Mylan at all.
    Thanks

kdrake is offline New Member

First of all I would like to say that I am truly sorry for you loss. However, with out the Fentanyl Patch my life would not be worth living. I have been dealing with severe chronic pain for the past ten years. I was brutally attacked by an exboyfriend with a chainlink fence post. He broke seven ribs, six vertabrae, herniated three disks in my back and caused severe head. After that he shot me twice in the back. I was in a coma for 22 days. When I woke up I was paralyzed from the chest down. I had to go through years of rehab to relearn the most basic of tasks. Two years ago I was put on the patch and I have never had a better quality of life. I know these patches can be abused but taking them off the market as you suggested would be a death sentance for people who need them just to function on a semi normal level.

duralinux is offline New Member

Hello Everyone.

First of all I have to comment on moodstar's posts/attitude. All I can really say is... wow. I've never seen anyone so clueless. Sorry... but that's my opinion and I have a right to say it.

Anyway, I'm curious if any of you have noticed the 100Ugh and 75Ugh Mylan patches not lasting longer then 48 hours? I've tried the Duragesic (brand name) patches, and they just don't stick or even work all that well. I'm a rather hairy person, and I'm also as active as I can be with my neck and back in the condition they're in. Anyway, the Mylan patches stick pretty well, and if I notice that they are coming loose, I just tape them. My only complaint is that they don't seem to last as long as is stated.

I'm using the patches now because mscontin, oxycontin, and other types of pills have prety much wrecked my stomach. I have two choices... go without or use the patches. I'm a single 27yo. father of a soon to be 5yo. daughter and I'm also starting my own consulting business. I don't have much choice. Anyway, sorry if I made anyone mad... but for someone to blame a drug when it's obviously the perscribing doctors fault is foolish. Another observation, where was the family when the deceased person was prescribed the patches? Weren't they aware of the medications he was taking? I lost my grand father (among other loved ones) in March of '03 due to gross negligence of a doctor so I know how it feels. But that doesn't give me the right to push for a ban on surgery because people die from it...

Dura

molyart is offline New Member

Los Angeles Times on fentanyl patch problems>
    sample....may require registration to access>

FDA Slow to Sound Alarm on Pain Drug
    Fentanyl's overdose rate and side effects show holes in monitoring medicine on the market.
    By Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar
    Times Staff Writer

November 25, 2005

WASHINGTON — Dory Bauler prides herself on staying active despite painful back problems. But at one point this year, she was getting so short of breath that she could barely walk. Doctors could find nothing wrong.

It never occurred to them that the medicinal skin patch she was using to deliver pain relief might also be poisoning her.

"I was just shutting down," said Bauler, 76, a retired paralegal from Laguna Woods in Orange County, who suffers from a severe curvature of the spine. "There were literally times I felt I wasn't getting any oxygen at all."

Bauler's patch was delivering fentanyl, a narcotic many times more powerful than morphine. Like morphine and other opioid drugs, fentanyl controls pain but also reduces respiratory function — and too much fentanyl can shut down one's breathing entirely. Luckily, Bauler figured out what was happening in time to stop using the drug.

The leading brand of the fentanyl patch is Johnson & Johnson's Duragesic; last year, pharmacists filled more than 4 million prescriptions for it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,7515046.story

akak8 is offline Junior Member

I have been on fentanyl for 3 months, the first brand I tried was generic sandoz. The last two times have been mylan. I do like the mylan better, however I find the efficacy wears off by the end of the second day. I also use surgical tape to keep ot on, sandoz was more of a problem, mylan sticks better, but I still use the surgical tape.
    I was told by one doctor to stagger, adding a second patch the end of the second day,[:0] it helped some but not enough. Today we moved up to 50 ml patch.
    So, until I use the last two 25's I just added another patch today. But I really think they are good for two days. I am 41 years old and feel like I am 80 lately. The pain really takes its toll. Yesterday I went to a new primary who doesn't think I should be on anything addictive..why are doctors so afraid to prescribe a medicine that works? We've tried EVERYTHING else. I recently joined the American pain foundation, who supports the appopriate use of medicine for pain, which many doctors are so afraid of. I am not appeasing some doctors FEARS [xx(] to be in pain, this seems to be helping, but just needed a dosage change. I think the average doctor is not informed enough, and believe me, I have been to quite a few DUMB doctors.

katie

quote:Originally posted by akak8

I have been on fentanyl for 3 months, the first brand I tried was generic sandoz. The last two times have been mylan. I do like the mylan better, however I find the efficacy wears off by the end of the second day. I also use surgical tape to keep ot on, sandoz was more of a problem, mylan sticks better, but I still use the surgical tape.
    I was told by one doctor to stagger, adding a second patch the end of the second day,[:0] it helped some but not enough. Today we moved up to 50 ml patch.
    So, until I use the last two 25's I just added another patch today. But I really think they are good for two days. I am 41 years old and feel like I am 80 lately. The pain really takes its toll. Yesterday I went to a new primary who doesn't think I should be on anything addictive..why are doctors so afraid to prescribe a medicine that works? We've tried EVERYTHING else. I recently joined the American pain foundation, who supports the appopriate use of medicine for pain, which many doctors are so afraid of. I am not appeasing some doctors FEARS [xx(] to be in pain, this seems to be helping, but just needed a dosage change. I think the average doctor is not informed enough, and believe me, I have been to quite a few DUMB doctors.

katie
    I don't think they are uninformed, most of them. I think not most, but quite a few doctors just do not even care how much people may suffer, as long as they do not have to listen to them complain, and prescribe narcotics. 30 years of experience tells me this.

The one thing I am sure, is the duragsic patches are like Magic, A Miracle to me....I have only been using them about 10 months or so, but this is the best I have felt in just short of 30 years. All my doctors knew the pain\discomfort I was in, they were all afraid I would take to much vicodin. Jesus, since I was given duragesic the urge\need\desire for any other sort of pain or mood medicine evaporated....just gone. Like a god dam miracle.

What else can it be? Large numbers of them really don't give a **** how much you suffer, as long as they do not have to listen to you...I really believe this is true for a Huge number of Medical Doctors. I would love to be proven wrong..

I guess I am not much of a complainer, but when I am in a lot of pain I sure make alot of noise. First I was given 50 mg of vioxx and went into heart failure and has a TIA, and internal bleeding, then bextra, then all the non narcotic pain relievers that do nothing but make me bleed out.
    Another doctor tried to treat me holistically, another tried every off lable use, noratriptaline, neurontin, then we went back to percocet, which I supplemented with smoking weed, that helped, but not for long, now finally one has given me the fentanyl patch, but I moved and switched primary doctors, he doesn't want me on anything addictive. I had a doctor in the ER one night explain in this day and age many doctors are afraid of addiction, (liability, med mal...etc) so they hesitate to prescribe narcotic meds.(at least in my neck of the states) I have to agree however, since starting the patch I have had no desire to use anything else mind or mood altering. Problem is one of the "remedies for pain was epidural shots of what I discovered to be depo medrol, which is NOT to be used for ESI's, so now my hips are going. No some doctors don't know what they hell they are doing when it comes to pain management, and my experience is most are not willing to give narcs. One doctor would give me two percocet a day, another gave me one a day, so they don't even know how the mechanisms of the drug work, finally it took a conservative doctor who tried every thing else to come to the conclusion that the best course of action was round the clock narcotics in my system, via the fentanyl patch and no one had heard a peep from me since. I can not say I am pain free, but its a FAR cry from the screaming pain I was in daily.

quote:Originally posted by Paulie42652

katie
    I don't think they are uninformed, most of them. I think not most, but quite a few doctors just do not even care how much people may suffer, as long as they do not have to listen to them complain, and prescribe narcotics. 30 years of experience tells me this.

The one thing I am sure, is the duragsic patches are like Magic, A Miracle to me....I have only been using them about 10 months or so, but this is the best I have felt in just short of 30 years. All my doctors knew the pain\discomfort I was in, they were all afraid I would take to much vicodin. Jesus, since I was given duragesic the urge\need\desire for any other sort of pain or mood medicine evaporated....just gone. Like a god dam miracle.

What else can it be? Large numbers of them really don't give a **** how much you suffer, as long as they do not have to listen to you...I really believe this is true for a Huge number of Medical Doctors. I would love to be proven wrong..
    katie

kytana is offline New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to the board, been reading through it and found a lot of answers to my questions, so THANKS!!

Suzee if you are still on here, did you find any info about applying the patch to the fatty tissue parts? I'm fat all over ..lol.. so I was just going to offer my opinion.
    I have applied the patch to my upper arms, chest and sides of my stomach. They adhere best to my stomach, however, the medication seems to deliver faster or something (in my opinion ) because whenever I have the patch there I'm always nauseated the whole time I wear it. I hope this helps.

I'm on the Mylan version. 50's.

I also have to use tegaderm to keep them on because they don't stick very well, they even lift off UNDER the tegaderm dressing...any suggestions on how to deal with that? I can't afford to keep applying a new one every time one comes off and the tape is worse than the tegaderm...thanks in advance for any info

PhedreLeCroix is offline New Member

hi there, I am new to this site, found it via google. The only thing I will say about the moody drama queen is that I am reminded of a small child throwing a temper tantrum.. "I'm going now, I mean it, I am really going now, you will never hear from me again" blah blah blah. Yet she still keeps on going like a schitzo energizer bunny ROTFL. I stopped paying attention at the statement that all us nurses are stealing people's patches to get high, even off corpses. I guess the time and care we show to dying patients, even exentending that to respectfully caring for their bodies after they pass means nothing, it's just so we can get high. bah. Enough of her drama. Now to why I found this place at all...

I won't go into all of my medical history as it would take too long, but sum it up with multiple back surgeries, the last one in April. I was practically cured after that one, woke up without nerve pain YAY! However in Spetember of this year I was assisting a patient back to bed who didn't wait like I asked him to and he tripped over the IV pole and landed on top of me. I ruptured the repaired disc, one above it, and tore another. Since then I fell on some ice and did some more major damage, this time on the right. both legs are in a constant charley horse with ice picks in my butt and severe shooting pain down both legs. I have switched to case managment which is easier physically on me, but am still in constant pain. I don't want to go back on oxycontin, or any morphine based stuff as it makes me feel like **** (severe nausea etc.) and refuse to take methadone. My doc just started me on the patches and it helped!! but I am severly allergic to the adhesive.
    my point in this rambling is that I am trying to find out if the adhesives are different in the mylan patch, or if anyone else has found a successful way to deal with the skin problems. I thought I would just ignore it, but when I applied the second patch it came up much faster and even worse, to the point that my chest looks like it has been burned. I was supposed to have been prescribed the name brand, but ended up with sandoz. When we looked at the ingrediants, it was exactly the same as the name brand. So we tried to get the mylan, but I am having a hard time finding them. When I asked the pharmacist if we could find out the inactive ingrediants in the mylan ones, he said that they don't have to list them, and that even if it says sillicone adhesive it could still be different.

Because of the holiday, i have now been stuck without meds at all and in horrid pain. I tried re-applying the sandoz but using tape instead, but i am still having problems with it. plus trying to get enough skin contact to make it work. Has anyone found a particular brand that worked better with skin issues than others? Do you do anything that helps make it better? Does anyone know what adhesive is in the mylan patches? any help would be greatly appreciated! and i apologize for the length of my post. [:I]
    must be my drugged-out mind as certain wacknut individuals would say. []

Yeah, I love those blanket answers from congressmen, most of which don't know their a** from a hole in the ground. I get generic letters from senators and congressmen regularly. Do I think they hear me? IDFTS.
    They'll placate your issue, then its off to their own agennda's.
    What needs to happen is a large public appeal.[:0] I have become involved with The American Pain Foundation, which is a bit more centrally geared to this specific issue.
    So far the results have been favorable. I am beginning to agree the efficacy of the patch is 48 hours, and on 50 ml, only a small portion of my pain is gone. Some days I can not walk period.
    I think my biggest frustration is doctors prescribing medicine with absolutely no clue of its pharmacology. Percocet is a perfect example. fast acting, short lasting pain relief. For the first hour I feel like I can leap tall buildings in a single bound, after about two hours, the pain shocks are coming back, and after you've been on it, you go into with drawal every 5 hours. Half life is six hours, yet I have repeated prescribing info to take 1 every 8 hours, or 1 every 12 hours. Thats insane for someone who has been on the drug for two years. Appropriate prescribing info is 1 every 4 hours, because on the 5-6th hour you will be in full blown withdrawal.
    I have had more favorable results with the fentanyl patch, but I am definately not pain free. I do however sleep very well.
    The first day waxes and wanes, the earlier part of the 2nd day not so bad, but the end of the second day all hell starts to break loose in my body, and rest assured I know I'll not be able to move when I wake up.
    So, undoubdtly, we'll revisit this issue once again.
    [^]

quote:Originally posted by trisha1

[We need to write our congressmen these generic patches do not work I was on name brand for a year 100 mg now ins only paying for generic go through withdraw after 24 hrs
    katie

rainbow65 is offline New Member

[quote]Originally posted by PhedreLeCroix

hi there, I am new to this site, found it via google. The only thing I will say about the moody drama queen is that I am reminded of a small child throwing a temper tantrum.. "I'm going now, I mean it, I am really going now, you will never hear from me again" blah blah blah. Yet she still keeps on going like a schitzo energizer bunny ROTFL. I stopped paying attention at the statement that all us nurses are stealing people's patches to get high, even off corpses. I guess the time and care we show to dying patients, even exentending that to respectfully caring for their bodies after they pass means nothing, it's just so we can get high. bah. Enough of her drama. Now to why I found this place at all...

I won't go into all of my medical history as it would take too long, but sum it up with multiple back surgeries, the last one in April. I was practically cured after that one, woke up without nerve pain YAY! However in Spetember of this year I was assisting a patient back to bed who didn't wait like I asked him to and he tripped over the IV pole and landed on top of me. I ruptured the repaired disc, one above it, and tore another. Since then I fell on some ice and did some more major damage, this time on the right. both legs are in a constant charley horse with ice picks in my butt and severe shooting pain down both legs. I have switched to case managment which is easier physically on me, but am still in constant pain. I don't want to go back on oxycontin, or any morphine based stuff as it makes me feel like **** (severe nausea etc.) and refuse to take methadone. My doc just started me on the patches and it helped!! but I am severly allergic to the adhesive.
    my point in this rambling is that I am trying to find out if the adhesives are different in the mylan patch, or if anyone else has found a successful way to deal with the skin problems. I thought I would just ignore it, but when I applied the second patch it came up much faster and even worse, to the point that my chest looks like it has been burned. I was supposed to have been prescribed the name brand, but ended up with sandoz. When we looked at the ingrediants, it was exactly the same as the name brand. So we tried to get the mylan, but I am having a hard time finding them. When I asked the pharmacist if we could find out the inactive ingrediants in the mylan ones, he said that they don't have to list them, and that even if it says sillicone adhesive it could still be different.

Because of the holiday, i have now been stuck without meds at all and in horrid pain. I tried re-applying the sandoz but using tape instead, but i am still having problems with it. plus trying to get enough skin contact to make it work. Has anyone found a particular brand that worked better with skin issues than others? Do you do anything that helps make it better? Does anyone know what adhesive is in the mylan patches? any help would be greatly appreciated! and i apologize for the length of my post. [:I]
    [/quote

Let's be real,I'm a nurse also and while all healthcare workers don't engage in drug thefts, but let's be honest, we know that some do.
    Actually, I don't think she said "All nurses."
    See Page 4-5 of the site below.

http://www.arkansas.gov/dhhs/aging/4-MedicaidFraudAndAbuse.pdf#search='Healthcare%20wor kers%20stealing%20pain%20patches'

Folks there are other forums out there for schitzo energizer bunny types. This one I came to for severe pain management and others experiences with the fentanyl patch I am on. Do me a favor and stick to that topic. I have no time for other issues, and If I did, I would post my comments accordingly. [8D]

[quote]quote:Originally posted by rainbow65

Originally posted by PhedreLeCroix

[/quote

Let's be real,I'm a nurse also and while all healthcare workers don't engage in drug thefts, but let's be honest, we know that some do.
    Actually, I don't think she said "All nurses."
    See Page 4-5 of the site below.

http://www.arkansas.gov/dhhs/aging/4-MedicaidFraudAndAbuse.pdf#search='Healthcare%20wor kers%20stealing%20pain%20patches'
    katie

1. Vioxx almost killed ME

2. Duragesic is no problem for me, the probles was some patches were leaking, administering higher concentrations of the drug. They were mostly 75 mg patches, and were recalled accordingly.

3. I lost both siblings and my father (all suddenly, unexpectedly, and far too young).
    There are grief forums out there if that is what you need to deal with. I am sorry for your loss, I suspect he had an other illnesses at 96 years of age.
    Some of us DO have serious illnesses, and require round the clock pain management. The blame factor will not get you to the other side of grief. Be grateful he lived to 96. Not many people are so fortunate.
    ~kmw

First, thank you for your first statement, obviously the previous poster never extended any kind words, so matter what one experiences, it's always good that one can look just a little beyond their own situation, to think a little about others. I attempted to do this, only to get blasted with this person's selfish words. Yes, I realize fentanyl is the active drug in a gel form inside the patch. Yes, I realize it has been around a long time and is used in many surgeries. Read my previous post, I stated that I'm holding the doctor responsible for misprescribing and not monitoring my dad, let alone not getting informed consent. You must have scanned through my previous post. I wonder what will those who get relied do if (and I said IF) it is eventually removed from the market. Most likely you won't die, you'll resort to something else for pain, just as you did before the patch came out.

Thanks
    [/quote]

First of all moodstar53, I want to extend my deepest condolences for the death of your father. When our parents are taken from us it's always a rough time, and when it's caused by incompetence it's even a worse thing. I understand .... because I lost both of my parents when I was very young. My mother when I was 12 and my father when I was 14. My mother was due to imcompetence during a surgery for the removal of cancer and my father while they were experimenting with Mustard Gas to treat cancer. It was a very rough time for me and I understand your need for closure.

But you have to understand something .... if I were to go on a support board for people undergoing cancer procedures and start to downgrade the only hope they have for survival due to my loss, I'd not get a very good reception.

This is what your experiencing. You've come to a support board for the only medication that we have found that releaves our specific medical conditions and that is prescribed by our doctors after much trial and error with other medications. Your trying to receive closure by warning us of our medications danger, side effects, and the abuse of this medication by some people and doctors.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here by once again extending our deepest condolences for your loss. But You have to understand that I'm sure your father would want you to move on with your life and not use your life in the effort to keep your loss alive and ongoing. You have to move on with your life and make it something that your father would be proud of.

I have to assure you here, that if your going to use your life to outlaw the use and prescription of Duragesic or Fentanyl ..... it's not going to happen. Set asside for one minute that everyone on this board uses it every day and we have finally found what we might in some way consider a "miracle drug". That being in quotes due to the fact that we don't believe in "miracle drugs" anymore than you do.

But in the first place ..... we've finally found something that allows us to function every day in much the same way that you do .... with relief of our pain and able to walk.

I take it that you are healthy and able to walk, aren't you? That your day is not ruled at first light by how much pain you'll have and whether you can get out of bed, am I right in that?? I want to make sure that you indeed are a healthy young woman or young man, and enjoy as much freedom of movement as you should be able to enjoy. This I hope and pray is the way that you are ..... and that you do indeed enjoy as much health and happiness that is possible.

In the second place, you do not have the amount of money to do battle with the Corporations that make the Duragesic patches. They have already proved their products to the proper regulatory agencies and tested their products as is required by law. For you to think that you could recend these approvals would require $Millions$ of dollars, many years in court proceedings, and also many law suits from users such as I in your attempt at taking away the only medication that allows us to function. Yes, I would personally bring suit against you for your attempt, no matter how well intentioned it might be, of depriving me personally of the best pain reliever that I have found available to me. As I said .... no matter how well intentioned it might be you have no right to deprive me of *my* medication.

That being said ..... please don't continue to preach to us of the dangers of our medications. Inside every box of patches is a piece of paper reminding us of these dangers and we can not only read but our doctors have briefed us on these dangers and we have researched our medications fully on the web or we wouldn't be on this forum.

I deeply and respectfully suggest, for your own personal well being, that you *do* indeed find closure for your fathers death. It's a tragic occurance that you need to find a way to accept inside your heart and mind. But please, don't look for closure here in this forum. That's not what this forum has been created for, and won't serve you in the manner that you need. Your planned actions will bring you only more heartache on top of the pain that you have already experienced and continue to experience.

I hope you understand what I've shared even with my lack of spelling abilities ....... and once again I extend only the deepest of condolences for your loss. But I also hope you understand what you will continue to experience on this forum and why, and the personal financial loss that your actions will bring you in the future.

Blessings to you in your pain ........
    Dennis Staley

-- James Truslow Adams
    [/quote]

Dennis,

Thank for your reasoned and eloquent posting.

Number 1, I am human, and I am not insensitive to the loss of parents or anyone so important to another human. Despite my ranting, I don't wish anyone bad things, certainly the loss of a parent (both my parents have passed on, my father not much more then a year ago). Truly one of lifes horrible experiences, I feel that way when anyone suffers a loss, it is a horrible thing. Yes..including moodstar, if your out there. I am sorry for you loss it is a horrible thing. I truly am.

I am no psychiatrist, but I do believe a few things contributed to my visceral reacation to moodstar. I have only been using the transdermal system for a little over a half year, thus I had 28 + plus years of agony. I am not going to go in to gruesonme details, those who have had similar experiences know where I am coming from, and those who have not, will never know. Despite what moodstar says, she will never know. To even mention a piece of **** druge like vioxx to those of us who have tried multiple medications over decades, just shows moodstar has no grasp of the issue. Yes, when your talking about the crippling pain I suffered for almost three decades...it is about me. No apology there....Never....Not gonna happen.

For the six or seven months I have been using the patch, I have felt better, have more of a life. I Suffer less. I will defend my right to use and obtain this medication under whatever strict guidelines are in place (as you know, this is already EXTREMELY tightly controlled)vociferously, strenuously and with militance if nescessary.

The relief from pain I have finally received is more then I ever imagined possible. Aside from my wife, the Best Thing That EVER HAPPENED TO ME. Thats all I have to say about that.

Moodstar, I apologize and do extend my condolences for your loss.

However I will defend my right to use this medication.
    [/quote]

Hi Paulie42652,
    moodstar53 here.

I'm not expecting any type of apology from anyone, like I stated, I'm also not apologizing for my feelings either. You stated Vioxx was a "**** drug", did you ever stop to think maybe, just maybe, many felt towards Vioxx the way you feel about Duragesic. In a nutshell, we must remember that everone don't get the same effects from the many drugs out there. Vioxx helped me a few years ago with what I consider probably "minor" pain compared to what most of you experience. Vioxx knocked out my back and side pain 15 minutes after taking it. Even then, when I was prescribed it, I heeded to what my doctor said, "Do not take it for extended periods of time." Now, years later, I hear of all the potential for strokes and heart attacks from it, and yes, deaths, and I'm glad I didn't use it every time I had this pain, again I'm sure mine could not compare to yours. Again, all of you, USE IT, USE IT, USE IT!! I'm sick of repeating myself that I'm NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANYONE'S RIGHTS AWAY FROM THEIR CHOICE OF USING IT.
    Go to cafepharm.com, see what Janssen's own sales reps say about it. It is comforting to get remarks from a (few) who summed it up for me, the prescribing doctor was ignorant and negligent in prescribing it to my dad, and then didn't monitor him at all, and blatantly IGNORED the side effects he witnessed, along with us. One rep stated that the doctor will "have a difficult time" explaining to the medical board for his actions. These people sell the drug for a living, and even some of them mentions the potential for bad results, they know about it probably better than doctors, they have to be educated on it to sell it to doctors and hospitals. Money is also an issue here, it is an expensive drug, and I have to wonder if there are doctors who prescribe it, knowing people are going to get "addicted" so they and the company can keep stuffing their fat pockets. By the way, there are more and more reports of doctors doing just that.

Thank you for your condolences,
    moodstar53
    [/quote]

kmw

natsmom is offline New Member

Hi All,
    My name ia Margie have been reading all your post for a few days and thought I would register. I have been a chronic pain person since about 96. It took a few docs and a lot of suffering to get to where I am today. I have diabetes, pheriperal neuropathy, fibro and ra. I finally found a wonderful doc and the right meds Fent. patch and Actiq. Not that I don't ever have pain. I have it daily, some days worse some days better, but I am able to live life much better then before. I have been on the same dose of meds for 2 yrs now and don't want to titrate up yet. I figure I will be on this stuff the rest of my life so I want it to last. I also had to start on the generic patch I prefer the sandoz to the mylan. I still use the bioclusive to keep it on. I change my patch every 48 hrs. I feel like they work the same as the duragesic brand. Look forward to talking to you all and feel free to post. As for that woman whose father died, some people just think we are addicts and thats all there is to it she will never stop her tyrads? If anyone wants to email me feel free.
    Margie

margie

Welcome Margie;
    Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of your situation, and certainly can identify with the pain. I am beginning to conclude that the patch works for 48 hours, and with that, I am still not pain free at all. It is very difficult, and some days I can't imagine living like this for the rest of my life. I just turned 41, and two years ago I was living large and vistited europe twice a year, now I sit, read, and take a lot of naps, and severe pain is daily. Its been humbling, but has refocused whats important in life for me.
    I will be seeing a new doctor on the 25th, I am curious what his recommendations will be. I will however express that the fentanyl patch is a living nightmare on the third day, and often I go back to bed until the new dose starts to work again. So maybe I get 3 days of moderate relief a week, I've not heard of Actiq until you mentioned it, so I'll be sure to look into it.
    I have found through this disability, that I drop the dis and focus on what i can do (abilty)....well, I have read 6 novels in the past month, and I can sit at the computer for a short time, before the pain sets in, so I am learning and writing. Thats never a bad thing.
    Good luck to you.
    Katie

quote:Originally posted by natsmom

Hi All,
    My name ia Margie have been reading all your post for a few days and thought I would register. I have been a chronic pain person since about 96. It took a few docs and a lot of suffering to get to where I am today. I have diabetes, pheriperal neuropathy, fibro and ra. I finally found a wonderful doc and the right meds Fent. patch and Actiq. Not that I don't ever have pain. I have it daily, some days worse some days better, but I am able to live life much better then before. I have been on the same dose of meds for 2 yrs now and don't want to titrate up yet. I figure I will be on this stuff the rest of my life so I want it to last. I also had to start on the generic patch I prefer the sandoz to the mylan. I still use the bioclusive to keep it on. I change my patch every 48 hrs. I feel like they work the same as the duragesic brand. Look forward to talking to you all and feel free to post. As for that woman whose father died, some people just think we are addicts and thats all there is to it she will never stop her tyrads? If anyone wants to email me feel free.
    Margie

margie
    kmw

Hi Katie,
    And thanks for the welcome. Yes, I can definatly say the patch only last for 48 hrs and at that I still have breakthru pain. Hence, the actiq. You should ask your doc about it. It is oral fentanyl. I am on the 400mcg. lolipop 4 x's a day. I understand a lot of docs won't order it with the patch because they are both class 2 and they are more comfortable with a class 2 for long term and a class 3 for breakthru. I know that it will only be ordered this way by a real pain doc. and some of them won't even.I have been a nurse for 30 yrs and am so happy to see medical minds changing about pain relief. When I first started with this unrelentling pain in 96 it was like pulling dam teeth to get norco. I went back and forth with my pcp for several yrs before I finally went to see a pain doc. I couldn't even work my life was pretty much spent on the couch with my heating pad.I was not ready for that at 40 yrs old. Now I a manage to work 3-4 days per week. That patch is a real life saver for sure. Well, have a nice day. hope to talk to you soon.

margie

Thanks Margie for the imput.
    Its the breakthrough pain that just about levels me. Like shockwaves, or stabbing. I have aged so much in the last year.
    I have a new primary who I am not thrilled with because he is afraid of "addictive" medicine. In my mind, I take it like any other "non addictive medicine" I am not hapy about the continued pain, yet I don't want to be a zombie either.
    I've gotten some helpful literature from the american pain foundation, and educating doctors about the taboo's of opiates.
    I feel by now I should have a phd, because some of the doctors I have been to in the last year are idiots. I can dx my self better and more concisely. I just moved to a new state, and hope a new team of doctors will get a clue.
    here's to hoping o/
    ~k

Hi Katie,
    And thanks for the welcome. Yes, I can definatly say the patch only last for 48 hrs and at that I still have breakthru pain. Hence, the actiq. You should ask your doc about it. It is oral fentanyl. I am on the 400mcg. lolipop 4 x's a day. I understand a lot of docs won't order it with the patch because they are both class 2 and they are more comfortable with a class 2 for long term and a class 3 for breakthru. I know that it will only be ordered this way by a real pain doc. and some of them won't even.I have been a nurse for 30 yrs and am so happy to see medical minds changing about pain relief. When I first started with this unrelentling pain in 96 it was like pulling dam teeth to get norco. I went back and forth with my pcp for several yrs before I finally went to see a pain doc. I couldn't even work my life was pretty much spent on the couch with my heating pad.I was not ready for that at 40 yrs old. Now I a manage to work 3-4 days per week. That patch is a real life saver for sure. Well, have a nice day. hope to talk to you soon.

margie
    kmw

The sad thing is some docs do not understand the difference between addiction and dependance. Diabetics are dependant on insulin and chronic pain patients are dependant on narcotics there really is no difference. I hope your new doc is an understanding one and not afraid to prescribe. good luck

margie

The sad thing is some docs do not understand the difference between addiction and dependance. Diabetics are dependant on insulin and chronic pain patients are dependant on narcotics there really is no difference. I hope your new doc is an understanding one and not afraid to prescribe. good luck

margie

The sad thing is that some docs do not know the difference between addiction and dependance. Diabetics are dependant on insulin and chronic pain patients are denpendant on narcotics there really is no difference. I hope your new doc is an understanding one. I got my pain doc thru the American pain foundation they really want people to understand chronic pain. Good luck with your new doc.

margie

Man oh man.....GET ANOTHER DOCTOR!,,,,immediately, do not pass go and do not collect $200.00 ANOTHER DOCTOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasted almost 30 years suffering with docs who were like that...Fire THEM...immediately..

I have breakthrough also, and before i was on the patch, i could take like six or eight percosets, not even feel them.now my doc says take two for breakthrough..and you know what? THEY WORK WONDERFULLY with my system primed with narcotics already..at least i think that is what it must be, they did not work like this before...let me tell ya that!

Paulie...

In all sincerity, get another doctor...You Must!
    Paulie

Thanks Margie for the imput.
    Its the breakthrough pain that just about levels me. Like shockwaves, or stabbing. I have aged so much in the last year.
    I have a new primary who I am not thrilled with because he is afraid of "addictive" medicine. In my mind, I take it like any other "non addictive medicine" I am not hapy about the continued pain, yet I don't want to be a zombie either.
    I've gotten some helpful literature from the american pain foundation, and educating doctors about the taboo's of opiates.
    I feel by now I should have a phd, because some of the doctors I have been to in the last year are idiots. I can dx my self better and more concisely. I just moved to a new state, and hope a new team of doctors will get a clue.
    here's to hoping o/
    ~k

Hi Katie,

margie
    kmw

KDz
    KDz is offline New Member

FYI:Info is repeat from other sources: the Sandoz are Duragesic Generic, both are produced by ALZA Corp. a subsidairy of J&J. It is said the Drug is the same only the film is differant, only they know the truth.
    NEVER cut any fentanyl pach {voice on experance(Ugly)} even the Mylan.***
    I use Actiq for breakthrough pain, great product, it is fentanyl a oral trans-MUCOSAL (absorbed through the lining of your mouth). Only think i do not like, is the packageing.
    I use the Mylan TDS, because of $$$, had to go to the 25/hr due to the 50/hr i have where making me extremly ill, so i'v been using the Actiq 400mcg {just fine} more.
    So i have several boxs of 50/hr Mylan that make me ill, and no drug coverage since the end of the year, and only one box left of 25, SOL.

***"Fentanyl skin patches are for use only on skin that is not irritated, broken out, burned, cut, or damaged in any way. Do not use a fentanyl skin patch that is cut, damaged, or changed in any way, as this can cause you to receive too much medication, which could cause death."

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast