Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Generic Duragesic patch
    akak8 is offline Junior Member

25 is the lowest dose. I had been taking percocet and put the patch on right away. I am currently now on 75 ml every other day since the efficacy of the drug for me seems to wear off in 48 hours.
    For me it takes a little while for it to kick in, so sometimes I overlap (per the doctors instruction) so I don't have to wait. We are now considering adding something else to the pain, because 75 every other day still isn't cutting it for me, and I am just a small woman, with BIG HUGE pain.
    Each person is different. There is no buzz factor with the patch either, you may feel a little sleepy, but not like morphine.
    I am still up all hours of the night. Sometimes all night. Lately the pain is screaming again and last time I saw the doc she said if this didn't work we were moving up to 100.
    I had recently taken a vicoden and found pain relief, so with the 25 mg, patch you may still experience some pain.
    Work with your doc to get to the dose right for you.

Katie

quote:Originally posted by Sportfisherman

Can someone please answer this question for me? The Dr. has prescribed Duragesic 25, but didn't really give me any info. Should I wait to put the patch on until maybe the next day after I have taken a few lortab? Or put it on right away? Not sure how quick it begins to work and don't want to risk an overdose. But I don't want to risk going into withdrawals either. Does anyone know how quick the patch begins to work? Thanks

xoqtox1960 is offline New Member

hi, russery could you tell me where to purchase the covers for the patches? i was on duragesic, but now am on the the generic which does not stay on at all. or do uyou need a prescription? thanks carol

carol cellana

I originally looked it up on the given website and couldn't find it,
    So I use surgical tape. 3M Clear flexible (transpore). It DOES NOT come off until its time to be removed. Then I just have to get the tape residue off. No biggie.

~k

quote:Originally posted by xoqtox1960

hi, russery could you tell me where to purchase the covers for the patches? i was on duragesic, but now am on the the generic which does not stay on at all. or do uyou need a prescription? thanks carol

carol cellana

kmw

crste is offline New Member

hi everyone, i have been reading this subject upon my doctor giving me this new generis fentnyl patch. i started last week now on my 4th patch, although i had couple disasters, no one told me how to use it, or where not to use it. i put it on my stomach under breast and (that was the 3rd patch) i started getting real nauseated. i called the sandoz company , mainly to get the patches to go over the top and they told me under no circumstances do they provide them because they generic patches with no bells and whistles, yes in those words!! also told me never ever put on the torso! only on upper body, arms , flanks and such, not on bony areas.
    Some fyi, i went to my local rite aid and they had a brand called nexccare premium adhesive pad, they are 2 3/8 x 4 inches and they work great over the top when they start to lift!! they were about $6 i think for about 5 in a package, but so worth it, its helped this headache of keeping these on and they are completely waterproof.
    anyone out there still active on htis site that can help some new users with this patch stuff?
    ill stop there till i get anyone to respond?

christi krause

quote:Originally posted by akak8

I originally looked it up on the given website and couldn't find it,
    So I use surgical tape. 3M Clear flexible (transpore). It DOES NOT come off until its time to be removed. Then I just have to get the tape residue off. No biggie.

~k

quote:Originally posted by xoqtox1960

carol cellana

kmw
    i just placed a post on the fentnyl patch site regarding your question check it out, id like to chta more about this for i am new at it all.

christi krause

The patch worked great for me the first couple months; now I am being increased to 100ml every other day. I wake up in screaming pain and have horrible edema the past 6 weeks.
    All the cardio and the DVT scan were fine, now I get paralysis in my feet, so I have to have another MRI and a EMG Friday, but I have to tell you my spine is a disaster area.

They won't do surgery because short of a full spinal fusion they don't think it would help with the pain. I will say I don't miss the headaches and finally my shoulder stopped hurting, but my mid-low back is screaming. Some days I can barely walk. I'm supposed to live with this, and I just can not imagine living like this every day.

I am so not looking forward to an emg on flaming red puffy skin, or laying on any flat surface for the emg. This whole thing is just insane. I USED to have a high pain tolerance, but now the pain is far more than I ever imagined. Its just unbelievable.
    There has to be at least one or two nerves they can snip back there to make it stop......

kmw

The patch worked great for me the first couple months; now I am being increased to 100ml every other day. I wake up in screaming pain and have horrible edema the past 6 weeks.
    All the cardio and the DVT scan were fine, now I get paralysis in my feet, so I have to have another MRI and a EMG Friday, but I have to tell you my spine is a disaster area.

They won't do surgery because short of a full spinal fusion they don't think it would help with the pain. I will say I don't miss the headaches and finally my shoulder stopped hurting, but my mid-low back is screaming. Some days I can barely walk. I'm supposed to live with this, and I just can not imagine living like this every day.

I am so not looking forward to an emg on flaming red puffy skin, or laying on any flat surface for the emg. This whole thing is just insane. I USED to have a high pain tolerance, but now the pain is far more than I ever imagined. Its just unbelievable.
    There has to be at least one or two nerves they can snip back there to make it stop......

kmw
    christi krause

kmw
    gosh hun im sorry for alll your suffering although i can relate completly!
    5 yrs ago i was in car accident and brke 2 vertibre in thorsic spine, upon them not healing they did a mri to find that i have some major degenerative disc disease, inopperable. all along i had been havin trouble for years with legs, feet and joints in body, so shortly following that i was diagnosed with fibromyaligia, and just prior to that i had been diagnosed with trigeminal neuragia...which is horrible pain in itself. after my pain increasing they changed me from daliy around the clock vicodan to percocet, then to methadone for chronic pain, the methadone made it where i could live somewhat a normal life, well as normal as one can live with off and on again pain even on meds.
    ive been on methadone dfor about 6 yrs. recently my low back had been getting increasingly worse and after about 7 months of major pain and nothing like physical thereapy and such workign they did another mri, this time lumbar, all to find out that i have degenterative disc even worse there effecting 3 discs, 2 are herniated bbadly, and now secondary to that there is are 2 cysts on right and left side which are causing some major nerve pain , which was already bad with the disc comppresed and causing feet to go numb and right leg sciatic pain.
    the dr injected my spin in 4 spots a few weeks ago to help the pain and comntrol some of the major inflamation that is making things worse with no avail, now he wants to go in and cut off nerve and blood supply to cysts, that surgery is next week. with the pain so much worse and the methadone not even touching it, he finally switched me to fentyl, duragesic, sandoz patches 75mcg.
    i am on my 4th patch and although i am better pain wise i am seeming to be on a roller coaster, they havent been stayin on and no one explained the ins and outs to me, so i had to watse a few to learn the had way finally after calling the company. so i hope and pray they are replace by my doc, he still has me on percocet breakthru pain.
    soon 2nd day of 4th patch, still not sure of this whole thing. i need to be able to not be in as much pain so i can work at least 3 days a week. so are you all finding that the sandoz genric isnt lasting as long? compared to being on almost 100mg a day of methadone im nto sure they are enough? but i want to have leway for when it gets worse.....any extra ideas and hints i can use them.
    thanks and god blesss everyone that suffers daily as i.

christi krause

Meliss is offline New Member

I was wondering if I could lean on any of you for advice. I have 3 compression fractures (L1, L2, and now L5), a fractured hip, degenerative disc disease, residuals from bilateral femoral shaft fractures, and residuals from an open reduction internal fixation of my R ulna and radius (both bone forearm fractures) all due to my osteoporosis, and NOW fibromyalgia. I had to be put on fentanyl (sandoz) 25 mcg, now 50 mcg, on top of 120 5mg percocets a month, formerly 240 a month. The percocet dosage doesn't work because they reduced it and my tolerance is so high, even in ADDITION to these patches-no relief. I was instructed to take no more than 4 percocets a day along with this patch, when in truth, I have to take 4 at a time to reach the desired effect that 2 once gave me a year ago. All of this and I'm only 27. Please help me, I need a friend and someone who understands me. Someone even told me that fibromyalgia is an excuse and that I needed a second opinion, because she said it's an excuse that a doctor will give you when there's no other explanation. I know NO ONE who has my problems whatsoever, not one. No one understands me, I'm looked down upon by everyone around me, family, boyfriend, everyone and anyone at all. I'm alone in this I just want to run, it's though they don't care, they just don't understand and it hurts so bad. Please help me.

Melissa Lesley
    <center></center>

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

The patches your on should take care of your pain.The problem is your addicted to the percocets.The percocets won't do much for you as they are a very weak drug compared to the fentanyl patch your on.Fentanyl is the strongest painkiller known.Most doctors use diluadid for breakthrough pain.You need to get away from the percocets they're **** anyway.....Dave

I don't know about that one. Yes, she may be physically addicted to percocet, but I am on 100ml of fentanyl every other day and still have screaming pain in my L-S region all the time. In fact, now I stopped taking off the one, the second day and leave it on and it still doesn't help.
    For me they 1 patch used to last 48 hours for pain.
    Two weeks ago a friend gave me a vicoden. It was the first and only day in a LONG time I didn't have pain.
    At this stage of the game I'd almost rather have a percocet, since 100 ml every other day isn't doing a blessed thing for my pain, and I have a HIGH tolerance for pain, but not being able to walk because it feels like someone is shooting me in the back when I try is really a drag.
    I am going to go pick up my 3rd MRI this afternoon. My last one was July 2005. My pain doc told me to go see a vascular surgeon after I already had a DVT scan, my lumbar emg was better than my neck, so at least I don't have the nexk and shoulder pain, but this Lumbo-sacral pain is BRUTAL.
    Its too much work for a surgeon from what I gather for what my insurance will pay, and they can't guarantee relief from pain.
    They would have to fuse S1-L3. BAH.

I have been told I have to learn to live with this, but how do I learn to live with something that has taken away my livelyhood.
    I didn't even go to easter dinner the other day because I am tired of being catered to and asked how I feel, plus no knows why I have such severe edema STILL, and the only one concerned about it now is my ywo year old grand niece. She looks at my feet, gets real serious and says "I go get baby wipes" At least that little care brings a smile to my face and the coolness of the wet wipe feels good.

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

The patches your on should take care of your pain.The problem is your addicted to the percocets.The percocets won't do much for you as they are a very weak drug compared to the fentanyl patch your on.Fentanyl is the strongest painkiller known.Most doctors use diluadid for breakthrough pain.You need to get away from the percocets they're **** anyway.....Dave
    kmw

StephSchiff is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by moodstar53

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I ran across it because I am researching all I can to find out about how people feel about these "patches." I am glad for those who say they like the fentanyl patches, but please take note of what I have found. First, the patch is what caused the DEATH of my father last year, who was elderly. Second, fentanyl is almost a hundred times more powerful than morphine, and as far as cutting the patches--this only INCREASES the chances that you will overdose on these things. The sandoz patches, are the SAME AS DURAGESIC--they only have a different name, they are Janssen's generic, the maker of Duragesic. I found this out from the Janssen topic on another message board called cafepharma.com This was stated by the sales reps. who market and sell them to doctors and hospitals. The sales reps are aware of the dangers, but they have to make a living off of something that is killing a lot of people. Next, the Mylan patches uses a matrix form of delivery instead of the "gel" that is enclosed in the original Duragesic patches. There was a Citizen's Petition originated by a Doctor D. Brookoff to get the FDA to NOT approve the generic matrix patch earlier this year because "the delivery system in the new generic is even more dangerous that the gel patches." Well, the FDA approved it anyway. The FDA have their hands stuck in the pockets of the big pharma companies anyway. All that I found out about fentanyl and these patches is that TO ME, THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Of course, if I had my way, I would have them ALL removed from the market. Not only are people abusing them, thinking they can cut them open, snort or eat the fentanyl inside, to get high, only to overdose almost instantly. (I have folders filled with printed info from these cases). Also, everyone do not metabolize the fentanyl the same, especially the elderly. The fentanyl is SUPPOSED to be time release to SLOWLY be absorbed into the skin, then released into the bloodstream. As with my father, we didn't find out all the risks (the doctor did not tell us or get our informed consent) and before we knew it, my dad was starting to have symptoms which included sweating profusely, coughing, hallucinating, and worst of all, difficulty breathing, or depressed breathing and hypoventilation. These were warned about in the insert (I found out too late) and also on the Janssen website. It is more dangerous to the elderly, but I have accounts where even 30-40 yr. olds have overdosed from the lowest dosage, 25 mcg which is what my dad was on. I am in the process of reporting this doc to the Med Board for overprescribing, not getting informed consent and several other issues. I tried to get legal help, but no atty. will take the case because they know that it's hard to get justice for a 96 yr old, the economic damages is just non-existent. So, my recourse is the tell as many people as possible of the dangers, and especially those who have elderly family members. Usually, once they succomb to the patch, then they try to say the person had all these "pre-existing conditions" that caused their death. My father had prostate cancer and congestive heart failure, neither of which was anywhere NEAR end stages at the time the patch killed him. His doctor first prescribed it when my dad entered the hospital for DEHYDRATION--So, be careful to ensure that your children, pets, others accidently ingest or allow the patch to accidently get stuck on them, becuase it could be fatal. Every time I read on these boards about the side effects people are experiencing, I cringe in the hopes that no one will die from these things. Again, those who are getting relief, I'm glad for you, but don't take these things lightly. THEY CAN KILL YOU!!!! Do not believe that you can "cut" these things to lower the dosage--that is definitely a no-no. Janssen is soon to market a 12.5 mcg patch which is half of the lowest dosage. The 25 mcg proved fatal to my father, and there was nothing to "wean" down to. Most of all, MY FATHER WAS NOT IN ANY PAIN THAT EVEN JUSTIFIED HIM PRESCRIBING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! These patches are being used to get high, as a murder weapon, and as a tool to commit suicide. My guess that before it's over, all these patches will be banned.

[:0]
    First I am very sorry for your loss and I can see that you are understandably upset and looking to blame something and anything for your fathers death. I lost my father unexpectedly as well so I understand.

It's people like you though that have made it nearly impossible for doctors to prescribe the meds their patients need without having to fear retribution from various govt agencies despite having followed every guideline out there. Every time some teenagers decide to raid Mommy's medicine cabinet and abuse drugs everyone blames the drug companies instead of the parents and teenagers. It's insane that those of us with real pain have anything that really helps taken away by those that refuse to be responsible for their own actions. Everyone is responsible for keeping his/her medication secured, reading all information provided by the pharmacy, keeping all of your doctors and pharmacists informed about all medications and health conditions, asking questions about new drugs if you aren't sure about how they work or why they are prescribed, etc.

Every time there is a slight reaction to a drug the lawyers come out of the woodwork and instead of allowing a drug company to spend a few million fixing the product they spend 10's of millions fighting class action suits. Normally very few people involved in the suits were actually harmed by the drug. Especially humorous are the ones who all of the sudden get to excuse everything they've done to themselves over the years and blame their health issues on something else! After years spent eating steak and twinkies and smoking two packs a day they take Vioxx for 6 months and blame the drug for the heart attack? PLEASE!

I am terribly upset that you would disregard the well being and possibly even the ability to go on living of the rest of us just to lay blame at someones feet without having any understanding of how the patch works, how it should be used, etc. It appears to me that the blame lies on either your fathers body simply giving out, your fathers doctor, his caregiver, or his pharmicist. It's most likely all of the above. No one noticed he wasn't breathing well? Why wasn't he taken to a hospital when his condition worsened? Where
    was the patch placed? Were directions for use followed? How long between patch applications? Are you certain that one patch was removed before another was put on? Are you certain he wasn't taking additional pain medication while waiting for the patch to kick in? What other meds was he taking? Was he on Beta blockers, sleeping pills, MAOIs, antihistamines, or any other CNS depressants? How often and in what amounts was he given breakthrough pain meds?

I'm rather shocked that you would blame a drug for this situation! The literature in Fentanyl specifically states that it can increase the risk of bradycardia (abnormally slowed heart rhythm) and may depress breathing. No doctor in his right mind would use the Fentanyl patch on someone opiate naive with congestive heart failure! Especially not without first closely supervising his/her reaction to IV Fentanyl and/or a long course of treatment with other first line analgesics both opiate and non-opiate.

First what was a 96 year old man with prostate cancer and congestive heart failure doing unsupervised on a drug known to cause respiratory depression? If he wasn't in pain why was he prescribed a pain killer only used for those who were opiate tolerant? Duragesic is NOT a first line analgesic it is for those who have tried a number of other things first and are in moderate to severe chronic pain. Also, why are you sure he wasn't in pain? I would imagine a healthy 96 year old has quite a few aches and pains - add in prostate cancer and congestive heart failure and I would imagine he would be in significant discomfort. It is the doctor that is responsible, as well as the pharmacist (you should have received a print out with the medication stating what side-effects to look for). If you did receive this print out then the caregiver who ignored it is responsible. You don't take giving new medications lightly when someone is that old and is suffering from those conditions.

Fentanyl is NOT a deadly medication. It has been abused by those that have no respect for their own bodies or for those of us that actually need pain relief to be able to get to the bathroom by ourselves. In the event of RX drug abuse irresponsibility and idiocy resulted in the persons death/health problem. It has been improperly prescribed, the doctor caused death. If it was administered with other medications that are specifically contraindicated, the pharmacist caused death. If the patient was not keeping all of their doctors and pharmacies up to date on their medications (and at your fathers age his caregiver should have been tracking the medications and reporting them to the doctor). It has been used improperly by people hoping to speed up the release that do things the directions specifically tell you not to. It has caused death to due irresponsible storage and disposal despite warnings in the patient information to fold the patch in half (sticky side to sticky side) and flush it down the toilet.

Yes there are accidents but using your logic we would also need to take Tylenol, Robitussin, Viagra, Penicillin (a number of people die from reactions to that every year), anesthesia of all sorts, anything and everything containing alcohol, peanuts (some people die of allergic reactions just being near it), cars (when abused or nut used by someone responsible they are deadly), knives, spray whipped cream (people abuse that for the gas used as a propellant in it), all aerosol products (same reason as the whipped cream), glue, rubber cement, spray paint, paint thinner, etc.
    Point being anything can be deadly when used improperly or for a small portion of the population with a sensitivity to it. You don't see people looking to ban peanuts or sue the auto industry for something a reckless or unlicensed driver did, do you?

Again, I am sorry for your loss, but I for one spent 22 hours a day awake and in excruciating pain before being put on Fentanyl patches. I could barely move and often needed help getting dressed. Now I am able to be much more independent thanks to Duragesic patches and Actiq. I personally prefer a Duragesic-Oxycontin combo but people like you have taken that option away - doctors are scared to prescribe them together even if it would give their patient the best quality of life. Please get some education on things you are trying to ban before depriving the rest of us of life saving medication.

Stephanie Schiff
    RSD/CRPS & Fibromyalgia
    Medically Ret US Army
    marushia@cox.net

quote:Originally posted by dstaley

First, thank you for your first statement, obviously the previous poster never extended any kind words, so matter what one experiences, it's always good that one can look just a little beyond their own situation, to think a little about others. I attempted to do this, only to get blasted with this person's selfish words. Yes, I realize fentanyl is the active drug in a gel form inside the patch. Yes, I realize it has been around a long time and is used in many surgeries. Read my previous post, I stated that I'm holding the doctor responsible for misprescribing and not monitoring my dad, let alone not getting informed consent. You must have scanned through my previous post. I wonder what will those who get relied do if (and I said IF) it is eventually removed from the market. Most likely you won't die, you'll resort to something else for pain, just as you did before the patch came out.

Thanks
    First of all moodstar53, I want to extend my deepest condolences for the death of your father. When our parents are taken from us it's always a rough time, and when it's caused by incompetence it's even a worse thing. I understand .... because I lost both of my parents when I was very young. My mother when I was 12 and my father when I was 14. My mother was due to imcompetence during a surgery for the removal of cancer and my father while they were experimenting with Mustard Gas to treat cancer. It was a very rough time for me and I understand your need for closure.

But you have to understand something .... if I were to go on a support board for people undergoing cancer procedures and start to downgrade the only hope they have for survival due to my loss, I'd not get a very good reception.

This is what your experiencing. You've come to a support board for the only medication that we have found that releaves our specific medical conditions and that is prescribed by our doctors after much trial and error with other medications. Your trying to receive closure by warning us of our medications danger, side effects, and the abuse of this medication by some people and doctors.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here by once again extending our deepest condolences for your loss. But You have to understand that I'm sure your father would want you to move on with your life and not use your life in the effort to keep your loss alive and ongoing. You have to move on with your life and make it something that your father would be proud of.

I have to assure you here, that if your going to use your life to outlaw the use and prescription of Duragesic or Fentanyl ..... it's not going to happen. Set asside for one minute that everyone on this board uses it every day and we have finally found what we might in some way consider a "miracle drug". That being in quotes due to the fact that we don't believe in "miracle drugs" anymore than you do.

But in the first place ..... we've finally found something that allows us to function every day in much the same way that you do .... with relief of our pain and able to walk.

I take it that you are healthy and able to walk, aren't you? That your day is not ruled at first light by how much pain you'll have and whether you can get out of bed, am I right in that?? I want to make sure that you indeed are a healthy young woman or young man, and enjoy as much freedom of movement as you should be able to enjoy. This I hope and pray is the way that you are ..... and that you do indeed enjoy as much health and happiness that is possible.

In the second place, you do not have the amount of money to do battle with the Corporations that make the Duragesic patches. They have already proved their products to the proper regulatory agencies and tested their products as is required by law. For you to think that you could recend these approvals would require $Millions$ of dollars, many years in court proceedings, and also many law suits from users such as I in your attempt at taking away the only medication that allows us to function. Yes, I would personally bring suit against you for your attempt, no matter how well intentioned it might be, of depriving me personally of the best pain reliever that I have found available to me. As I said .... no matter how well intentioned it might be you have no right to deprive me of *my* medication.

That being said ..... please don't continue to preach to us of the dangers of our medications. Inside every box of patches is a piece of paper reminding us of these dangers and we can not only read but our doctors have briefed us on these dangers and we have researched our medications fully on the web or we wouldn't be on this forum.

I deeply and respectfully suggest, for your own personal well being, that you *do* indeed find closure for your fathers death. It's a tragic occurance that you need to find a way to accept inside your heart and mind. But please, don't look for closure here in this forum. That's not what this forum has been created for, and won't serve you in the manner that you need. Your planned actions will bring you only more heartache on top of the pain that you have already experienced and continue to experience.

I hope you understand what I've shared even with my lack of spelling abilities ....... and once again I extend only the deepest of condolences for your loss. But I also hope you understand what you will continue to experience on this forum and why, and the personal financial loss that your actions will bring you in the future.

Blessings to you in your pain ........
    Dennis Staley

-----------------------------
    There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.
    -- James Truslow Adams
    -----------------------------
    Hi DStaley,
    Thank you for your condolences,

Now that said, I didn't realized this was a "support board" for those suffering from pain. The many other boards that I have visited was receptive to ALL remarks and posts, whether it was what you wanted to hear or not-I'm sorry for treading on "private" ground. I may have stated earlier that if there was anything I can do to get it removed from market, I would. Can you all stop thinking about yourself long enough to realize that as UNREALISTIC it is for me (AGAIN, ONE PERSON) MAY HAVE SAID THIS OUT OF HURT, ANGER AND ALL THE OTHER EMOTIONS ME AND MY FAMILY ARE EXPERIENCING. I guess none of you have said anything that was from any emotions. I do not experience chronic pain myself, however, it shows the difference in people in general, if I did, I personally would WANT to hear other's experiences, not attack someone just because their experience is different from mine. Next, I think you know that everyone does not think that Duragesic is so great, I have read many, many posts (at other sites) where people in pain, could not tolerate it, had terrible reactions to it, and some said they would rather deal with their pain than to EVER attempt to use it again. Trying to get off of it, according to SOME people, was also very bad; I'm just telling you what others have said. So you and others here need to realize that I'm not alone, I have gathered information since last year on the good and the bad issues of Duragesic, SO I'VE SEEN IT ALL, and trust me, there are many, many lawsuits, and complaints from this drug. I think you and others here know, when other drugs have been banned, it didn't happen from ONE PERSON'S COMPLAINT, it came from thousands and maybe more, who experinced adverse events, so lets be realistic here, I'm not stupid enought to think that I, (ONE PERSON), CAN GET IT BANNED. However, if asked, or for what my two cents is worth, let me say that my dad meant a lot more to me that those of you who are still ALIVE, whether you're experiencing pain or not. You can forget that if I ever have the OPPORTUNITY to say what I saw happen to my father, you can take it to the bank that I'm not holding anything back. This is why I felt compelled to report his death to the FDA, Janssen Pharma, as an adverse event--that's what they're there for. That's the least that I could do. So, when they talley up their "adverse events" numbers, somewhere in those number are "one" that stands for my father. As far as closure, I will get it, not from a lawsuit,but I will get it. You can't say that YOU KNOW what he would want me to do, he told us he felt like whatever was causing his shortness of breath would "take him away", also stating that he was not ready to die. I know my dad a little better than you, no, he would not want me tormented for the rest of my life, but HE WOULD want me expose what the doctor did, and do whatever I need to do that might help someone else. I regret ever posting here, since it was not well received and taken out of context so much. There is always good that comes from bad things in life. My statements to others (not here on this board) was well received--not to scare them, but everyone is not like most of you. There are those, especially with elderly parents/relatives, who APPRECIATED the things I said. You must remember, THE DRUG IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO THE ELDERLY, these are the main people I'm concerned about, those that are old and many times has no say in what a doctor gives them. I care MOST OF ALL ABOUT THEM. I have not once told anyone to DISCONTINUE USING IT, and isn't stupid enough to say that. I don't mean to downplay the suffering all of you experience, but again, everone using the drug is not so in love with it. Duragesic has not been around too many years, all of you used something before it, all of you will use something after it, BUT, those who have died won't be back, they don't have that choice. Now, you don't know me, and you certainly don't know how much money I have. Vioxx, Bextra, and so many more drugs had been approved and was used by many who did not have bad experiences with it, but, there was obviously many many people who SUFFERED FROM IT and it was banned, by the COMPANY / FDA. Vioxx may be back now, not sure. Your threat to "bring suit against me" does not scare me, save your money for your fight,against the FDA or J&J, they, NOT ME, are the ones YOU and others would have to fight. I'm finished "preaching" as you referred to it--However, I didn't consider it "preaching." Go ahead with using your drug as long as you want, I feel truly blessed (and glad) that there is NOTHING, no drug, no person, no possession, that I feel so "attached" to, that I have to attack others when the threat of losing it is even "hinted" at. Read this carefully, I

Blessings to you,
    moodstar53
    I am amazed that you are still not understanding what people are saying. No one is denying that you lost your father or that you should be sad about that. No one is saying don't go after the doctor. We just don't understand why you are going after the medication. That's like going after the car manufacturer instead of the drunk driver when you're in a car accident. When properly used and proper care is taken Fentanyl is a GREAT drug.

You also stated that you collected all of this evidence. If I set out determined to prove something I could gather all sorts of evidence too, especially with the internet. You aren't studying the effects of the Fentanyl Patch you are specifically looking for NEGATIVE OUTCOMES WHEN USING THE FENTANYL PATCH and DEATHS CAUSED BY FENTANYL. This is evidenced by the alerts you say you receive. There are plenty of people out there looking for a free paycheck from the pharmaceutical companies who will happilly goad you on so a class action can get started. I'm sure if I was looking for proof that alien abduction increased the incidence of Schizophrenia I could get alerts, articles, and plenty of message board postings as well. If you are going to make these claims I suggest you do a little more study in an OBJECTIVE manner.

You certainly need to look into the background of the prescribing doctor. Check public records for arrests, divorce records (that may include history of drug use), past lawsuits and complaints, and ask around at past employers of the doctor. The nurses are generally the best sources of information. You don't need to sue for your fathers death, you need to sue for assault (treating your father without consent), negligence for not following the guidelines specifically layed out in the drug information, negligence for not monitoring your fathers condition after he administered the medication, negligence for not notifying your fathers caregiver(s) of the side-effects to watch for, and finally euthanasia since you seem to feel the doctor may have "mercy" killed him. That way you would at least get to see the statistics of similar patients under his care in the discovery phase. If you focus on the drug you are guaranteeing that no lawyer will ever touch your case with a 10 foot pole - unless you have some VERY strong financial backing to pay their fees no lawyer will go up against Johnson & Johnson on contingency. It would take an Army of lawyers to win.

You are also misstating something. Fentanyl IS NOT dangerous to the elderly unless they have certain health conditions or are taking certain medications. It is only dangerous if it is given to someone not accustomed to taking narcotic meds or if it is not slowly titrated and monitored. When used properly and prescribed properly to someone without any factors that might make Fentanyl a bad choice for them Fentanyl is fine for the elderly. As long as they have no liver, kidney, lung, or certain heart issues they will be fine. The other issue would be if there is any senility someone would need to make sure the patches are replaced at the proper time. They would also need to be made to understand that they could not use a heating pad or hot water bottle near the patch. The elderly may not process Fentanyl as quickly as younger people so a smaller dose rather than the higher dose that may be indicated by the current intake of other opiate medications.

Stephanie Schiff
    RSD/CRPS & Fibromyalgia
    Medically Ret US Army
    marushia@cox.net

zippysgoddess is offline Advanced Member

Actually Dave, and this is referring back up the other topic posted by Meliss, the patches do not always handle all the pain for everyone. Someone like myself, who has a pinched nerve that is always being aggravate, since pressure is always on it, can still have pain, even with the heaviest narcotics, including the patches.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

[]Sorry guys! I didn't realize how old those posts were - she just got my back up! Anyway hello everyone! I'm from Virginia Beach, VA, I am 28, and I have RSD/CRPS in both legs, hips, back and one shoulder. I have had it for 7 years. I am on 100mg Fentanyl Patch and 4 800mcg Actiq 4x per day. I have a 2 year old son and was REALLY healthy when I was pregnant. If I could have stayed pregnant a few more months I would have been walking without the walker! No it's getting much worse than it seemed before (last time the pain got worse gradually this time it came back and hit me like a ton of bricks). I'm stuck in a motorized wheelchair most of the time now and don't sleep much. I'm stuck in bed or on the couch most of the time. We ended up having to get a laptop because I couldn't sit at the computer for any length of time any more. Anyway, I'm glad to meet you all! I'm very happy to know that there's a place for us to talk.

Nice meeting you!

Stephanie

Stephanie Schiff
    RSD/CRPS & Fibromyalgia
    Medically Ret US Army
    marushia@cox.net

I am glad you realized they were old posts Stephanie, because I started to tell you that last night, and wondered why we were beating that issues again...but I deleted my post, and left it alone for now, as I was tired and couldn't put two words together with out trashing the english language.
    I am glad you resolved it with yourself Stephanie, and yes, the old posts got my hairs to stand on end as well.

I further have to agree with Zipsygoddess. I have severe nerve pain and I keep telling the doctors that I wake up in the morning with SCREAMING pain. Right now I have on 2 100 ml. patches, since my ins won't pay for actiq.

Now I have to go have diagnostic shots, and selectine lumbar nerve root blocks and TFESI in my sacrum, which is more a transforaminal steriod injection with a flouroscope. My pain docs office asked if I was allergic to an array of things and did the speal on the less common side effects are paralysis, coma and death....
    Now that doesn't sound like a fun day at the doctors, nor something I would like to endure, but I keep falling because of the shock waves of nerve pain and my Lumbar MRI concerned my pain doc, with the bilateral severe disc bulge, endplate marrow edema, etc.
    In the interim I am back in the pool because that is one thing this NOW chunky body can endure in the way of exercise, and with the young men at the top of the ramp in the pool there to wrap a towel around me when I get out...Its better than a Carnival Cruise

I have to find humor somewhere, especially while (at 41 years old) my body decided this (SORRY GUYS) would be a good time to start menopause as well. Oh and at thwe pool they have those Nexcare 3M I think he called them meta derm, I think...I'll have to have him write it down today. Its just a clear plastic covering, I think someone mentioned in a previous post. I think it will be much more comfortable than the clear surgical tape I've been using that takes forever to get the glue >>> off of. Now say that 3 times real fast, and try to have a pain free day

"Once we learn to laugh at ourselves, we are always amused"

kmw

I forgot to mention one thing;
    Not everyone in these forums are here for the issues we are dealing with, so be careful of arbitrarily posting your e-mail.
    I clicked on one very annoying mans's post one day and it linked to a *** site and my virusware went nuts trying to field off the trojans etc.
    I have also recieved one of those letters from a man in Nigeria who wants to move a very large sum of money ino this country and asked for my bank info (you know those e-mail fraud letters)
    So unfortunately because there are wingnuts (wacko's) everywhere, and while you are trying to deal with a serious issue of chronic pain, and what not there may be a creep lurking nearby.

I am glad you realized they were old posts Stephanie, because I started to tell you that last night, and wondered why we were beating that issues again...but I deleted my post, and left it alone for now, as I was tired and couldn't put two words together with out trashing the english language.
    I am glad you resolved it with yourself Stephanie, and yes, the old posts got my hairs to stand on end as well.

I further have to agree with Zipsygoddess. I have severe nerve pain and I keep telling the doctors that I wake up in the morning with SCREAMING pain. Right now I have on 2 100 ml. patches, since my ins won't pay for actiq.

Now I have to go have diagnostic shots, and selectine lumbar nerve root blocks and TFESI in my sacrum, which is more a transforaminal steriod injection with a flouroscope. My pain docs office asked if I was allergic to an array of things and did the speal on the less common side effects are paralysis, coma and death....
    Now that doesn't sound like a fun day at the doctors, nor something I would like to endure, but I keep falling because of the shock waves of nerve pain and my Lumbar MRI concerned my pain doc, with the bilateral severe disc bulge, endplate marrow edema, etc.
    In the interim I am back in the pool because that is one thing this NOW chunky body can endure in the way of exercise, and with the young men at the top of the ramp in the pool there to wrap a towel around me when I get out...Its better than a Carnival Cruise

I have to find humor somewhere, especially while (at 41 years old) my body decided this (SORRY GUYS) would be a good time to start menopause as well. Oh and at thwe pool they have those Nexcare 3M I think he called them meta derm, I think...I'll have to have him write it down today. Its just a clear plastic covering, I think someone mentioned in a previous post. I think it will be much more comfortable than the clear surgical tape I've been using that takes forever to get the glue >>> off of. Now say that 3 times real fast, and try to have a pain free day

kmw

~kmw

zippysgoddess is offline Advanced Member

Another great way to handle it, something I learned from working for a deals/freebie website, and something I always advise to others, is to keep a free/junk email that you can post on boards like these. So if you get a contact from a legitimate person, you can easily answer them, and if you want, give them your real, personal email addy, but the spammers and weirdos only get your junk addy, so you keep all the stupid stuff and clutter out of your personal box.

I never post my paid ISP email publicly anywhere, that way it stays spam free and only the people I want to have it can reach me there. The one I post on here, from gmail, is a free on, the spammers can send there all they want, I just go through the emails and look for real ones that I need to answer.

This works great when you sign up for free samples somewhere, or coupons, because those places often have you signing up for their newsletters as well, and various other mailing lists.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

I switched to firefox and have disposable e-mail addresses as well
    I wanted a topic important to me to come where I know I'll read it, but have several e-mails here and abroad.

quote:Originally posted by zippysgoddess

Another great way to handle it, something I learned from working for a deals/freebie website, and something I always advise to others, is to keep a free/junk email that you can post on boards like these. So if you get a contact from a legitimate person, you can easily answer them, and if you want, give them your real, personal email addy, but the spammers and weirdos only get your junk addy, so you keep all the stupid stuff and clutter out of your personal box.

I never post my paid ISP email publicly anywhere, that way it stays spam free and only the people I want to have it can reach me there. The one I post on here, from gmail, is a free on, the spammers can send there all they want, I just go through the emails and look for real ones that I need to answer.

This works great when you sign up for free samples somewhere, or coupons, because those places often have you signing up for their newsletters as well, and various other mailing lists.

~kmw

bunkie494 is offline New Member

I am a new member and started with the brand name of the Duragesic patch. I then switched to the generic (Sandoz) and then to Mylan. I love the smaller size and they seem to be working better than any of the others I have tried. I cover it with a waterproof bandaid or a covering which is just the perfect size ($1.00 a piece). I don't know how to cut or where to cut the 4 x 5 inch patch covering and apply. If someone out there could tell me, I'd be grateful. I don't get a full 3 days of relief from this patch (75 mcg) and was given enough to change every 2 days but don't really want to do that for some unknown reason. I take my breakthrough med. but it doesn't really help that much. I had been in a car accident in 1996 and 2 months later was what they call "pain paralyzed". I couldn't walk and had to try to pull myself on the ground to get to the bathroom. My husband called 911 and I was in the hospital for just under 1 month. Since then I have gotten progressively worse; and, I must say, anyone who hasn't had our kind of pain has no idea what it is all about, how we feel and that we are not hypochondriacs! Sorry, just had to get that out.

Bye for now.

jake

teenangel is offline New Member

It is so sad to see so many of us with different opinions about certain products that are made available on the market.I did read some of the comments that were made and wow, its like a battlefield. To really and truly understand what one feels, well it is a journey that you alone take. I believe that it is great that we have pain management, cause I know I for one do not like being in chronic pain. But any type of highly dangerous potent narcotic should be locked up and only given with a signature. The person using the product should be liable for what they are taking, and the company making the product should also be held liable for the product given.
    I am the mother of a 16 year old daughter who died from what was classified as an accidental drug overdose. It was later made available that the product she died from was a drug called "fentanyl" 80 to 100 times stronger than morphine. Three men panicked and dumped her body in front of a garbage dumpster. All they got was 6 months and I received a life sentence for someone else's neglience.My daughter was not an addict, but had started experimenting 2 months before her death.
    It is very hard still after 18 months to not be consummed with what happened to her and daily I research on something else that I can do to make narcotic drugs only accessable through signed prescriptions. Here I was so worried about marjauna, hash, oil, and even coke....but being nieve I not once thought of prescription drugs. I feel sad for anyone who has lost a loved one through any type of death, but when it is so unexpected, it is much more difficult to understand. All I can say is please use this drug with a lot of caution as you don't want to leave family members behind who will mourn your loss for the rest of their days. We all think we're undis-structable, it will never happen to us, but guess what it does. Thanks and be kind to others, it is how they feel and their opinion, as they are trying to help you, not put you down. I have lived on anti-depressants since she died and now realize that even those are dangerous so have slowly reduced my medication and hope to be off totally in a month. I notice what it does to me and I don't like the effects of shaking and feeling unknown things. I sympathize with those of you who really need this type of drug to get through painful days. Noone knows whats its like to feel pain, no matter if physical or physcological. I only know what it feels like to have a herniated disk and siatica and have gone for joint facet injections. If we require a pain medication than that is at the descretion of the doctor and the patient. I don't know about you but I do what my doctor tells me as I trust her judgement in what she is prescribing to me, but only for me. I guess we all have to take risk and do what is best for us, not what others think.Travel in good health and be safe. Mom of teenangel

sarah

Tommygun is offline New Member

Hello Good People
    I too am on Duragesic patch. I won"t boar you with details of my medical condition, but I assure you it is quite bad. I joined JUST to ask the community...I have tryed every med except a morphine pump. The Duragesic patch brings the most relief. Troble is,I get a rash after 40 hrs or so. I am aware the patches only work 48 hrs at best. Does ANYONE know how I can eliminate the rash?
    By the way, The Bioclusive or Tegaderm over it just makes it worse.
    Please answer via forum
    God Bless!

FusedSpine is offline New Member

Tommygun-

I had problems with the Duragesic patch (rash, itch, etc.) The Mylan brand patch doesn't react with my skin. It's also a lot smaller and can be cut to custom-tailor the dose (regardless of what anyone else says; there's no gel inside, the fentanyl is in the adhesive.)

Don't discard after 48 hrs if you think it's not working, there's enough active ingredient to last 100 hrs. I "overlap" them one day to get the most out of them. Hopefully I won't need them for very much longer, I was on them a year then had my spine fused from T-11 to S-1 in March. In the hospital I had to have huge doses of I.V. morphine (4 mg/10 minutes) + 100 mcg patch. The back pain is 90% gone, it's WONDERFUL! But being on Fentanyl 100mcg + MS Contin 120 mg/day + MSIR 240 mg/day has caused a bit of a dependence problem. But I'm down to 66 mcg patch (there's the benefit of the "cut-able" Mylan patch) + 60 mg/day MS Contin, so the end is in sight.

There is a new problem however, the pharmacist said Blue Shield will only reimburse her for the cost of Sandoz generic. It seems a lot of people like the Mylan ones more and are asking for them; this apparently hasn't gone unnoticed by Mylan and they jacked up the price. I may end up paying "full coach fare" for them (which I'd do; Duragesic/Sandoz="no sale".)

One other thing, I have to use Tegaderm with them because they don't stick so great in the shower. Tegaderm seems to be pretty hypo-allergenic, so I'm hoping your problem was just with the Duragesic adhesive, and Mylan + Tegaderm won't cause you any problems.

Good luck!!

ablake1979 is offline New Member

Warning to anyone who uses heat to get the patch to stay on better. Heat will cause the membrane to weaken and the flow of medication to increase, which in turn increases your risk for accidental overdose. Please take the precautions on the label seriously... they are meant to protect you! I lost my husband to an accidental overdose of fentanyl due to a defective patch. Please be careful with this medication and use it only as directed.

Subee41 is offline New Member

I recently injured my lower back and first my dr put me on 25 mcg fentanyl patch. Actually he put me on morphine pill first but it turned out I am allergic to it. (Same problem with pretty much every pain med i've tried). Anyway, I 'seemed' to tollerate the 25 mcg. I did have a bout of dizzyness but we thought it was from flying 37,000 feet when I flew back east. It only lasted a few days and then left. Anyway, I had been on my second patch of the 50 when my dr got results of ct scan. Damage is pretty bad with slipped disc, degenerative disc disease, bulging disc and disc protrusion or extrusion. So Dr. put me on 75mcg. The day that I was supposed to up my patch I started feeling dizzy. Also hot and sweaty so I thought it might be related to the flu. (It was going around at work). So I changed patch on Wednesday night. Thursday I seemed fine other than feeling a bit "out there" and still dizzy. Friday I started itching but i think my mind was so confused i didnt worry about it. Friday night I began to notice that i had to think about breathing. I finally fell asleep but when I awoke I was really struggling to breath. It wasn't that I coudln't breath, but I had to think about it. I took the 75 off and replaced it with 50 hoping that would help. I tried to clean house and do anything to take my mind off my breathing but nothing worked. I finally went grocery shopping with my hubby hoping that would help but by the time i got home I was really struggling with it so I called my doctor's office. The doctor on call told me to go to the ER. By the time we got there I was also shaking really bad. When the triage nurse took me back to get my blood pressure, etc, I was shaking so bad i thought I was confulsing. my blood pressure was really high. So they took me straight back to a room. The doctor examined me and gave me reglan for the nausia and zanax(?) for the panic attack. Both helped me calm down. He told me I was having an allergic reaction to the patch and he cut my 50 mcg in half and gave me a prescription for the 25 mcg and told me i had to be weaned off it.

So now I am breathing a little better and dizziness is not as bad, but pain is coming back. I have a call in to my doctor to find out what to do now. I will be seeing a neurologist but still waiting for them to give me an appt. Meanwhile, what can I do for pain? I am allergic to vicodin, demerol, morphine, codein, and now this patch. Does anyone know anything that I can discuss with Dr.

Sue in Peoria, AZ

Oxycodone would be worth a try there's also Dilaudid.You still have lots of options.Good luck.....Dave

I had another panic attack this morning because I couln't breath without making myself do it. I called my doctor and he is putting me on the xanax 3 times a day. Meanwhile he said I am not to go to work and he will see me Thursday morning but I am to continue wearing the patch.

I can't take the oxycodone because I believe it is generic for the vicodin which I am alergic to. I have never heard of the other one you mentioned. I will check into it and discuss it with my doctor.

At this point I am scared to death to take anything because of what I have been going through with the patch. I can't even begin to say how dissapointed I am in the fact that I can't take it. It was the one thing that really helped. It didn't completelly get rid of the pain, but it made it bearable.

Thanks,

Sue in Peoria, AZ

vicodin is hydrocodone,oxycodone is the active opiate in percocet.There is still lots of others you can try.Hang in there.Do you take benedryl??That can help with any itching and sometimes helps breathing.Good luck...Dave

After reading your posts I can't help but wonder if this isn't an allergic reaction but a self induced anxiety attack.This could be managed with a benzodiazepine like valium in a very small dose.You should talk to your doctor about that...Good luck.....Dave

I'm sure the panic attic is a direct result of not breathing correctly. I have never in my 50 years of life had a panic attack before. I am one of the most laid back calmest people around and most who know me are amazed at how well I handle what has come at me and believe me, my life story would make a soap opera look tame...(7 kids will do that to ya!) Since being on the 25 mcg I am not having them but I am having rapid heart beat which is not normal for me. I see my doctor today at 10:40 and we can discuss what to do next. I am also awaiting a call from a neurologist that I was referred to whom I have been told is one of the best for backs. We shall see. I honostly don't have a lot of high hopes at this point. I have a friend who has a bad back and nothing has ever helped him. Even the epideral shots have done nothing. Of course that doesn't mean it will be the same for me. *sigh* I really do wish I could take those patches. It was the first time my back felt good since I injured it.

Sue in Peoria, AZ

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast