Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dbl d
  • 1 Post By jrox57
  • 1 Post By ken41
Getting off methadone 2mgs
    dbl d is offline New Member

Default Getting off methadone 2mgs

I was on methadone 2mgs for 2wks before I stopped 3 days ago. I went from 150mgs to 2mgs. 5mg decrease a week until I reached 20 than did 2mgs a week. For all u that say its sooo hard to decrease I don't understand. I had no problems at all just the minimum like sneezing, yawning but I didn't associate it with w/d's. So anyways day 3 feel ok just minor w/d symptoms. Not bad but I made a appt for suboxone so that way I won't have to experience any wd symptoms. Only gonna be on subs 4mgs a month than 2 the next. Only 16wks!!!! Anybody transfer from done to subs this way???? And to anyone getting off methadone good luck u can do it. We all can and no one needs Xanax stop with the narcotics there is other anxiety meds for u!!! Thanks hope my story helps someone!
    jrox57 likes this.

jrox57 is offline New Member

You will Have withdraw symptoms from suboxone. I'm not sure if they will be worse than methadone or not. I'm having a hard time getting off subs.
    If you're not having a hard time getting off methadone why do you want to get on suboxone? Read some of the threads on suboxone and then make up your mind. Just my opinion.
    1232 likes this.

ken41 is offline New Member

I agree, why on earth get in Suboxone if you've made it all the way down to just 2mg. If anything, get some Tizanidine, which will help with any sleep issues and w/D's you may have once you go to zero mgs. On your current dose of methadone you would have to take a very very low dose of Suboxone to keep from over medication or increasing your tolerance to opiates. You're almost there, just keep it up!

ken41 is offline New Member

I did switch from 10mgs/day methadone to 4mg Suboxone but I was at a stuck point and couldn't get any lower and was getting off of twenty years of clonopin. If you've made it off the methadone with minimal wd's then give it a shot long term. Alpha antagonists like clonidine or Tizanidine can be really helpful if wd's are a problem especially with sleeplessness. If long term you are worried about relapse then that's a whole other question. I went from ten of methadone to 4mg of Suboxone for one month then tapered the Suboxone down to zero in the second month. The first day with no Suboxone was the toughest but would've been way easier if I had known I could take an alpha antagonist like Tizanidine to help with that. You're 100% correct about the Xanax though, I would stay away from it. For anyone with dependency issues, Benzodiazepines are very tricky and tempting to stay on because they are so easily able to block undesired emotions especially anxiety. Unfortunately, they block too many important brain functions necessary for survival and emotional health. I would use them only as an absolute last resort when there is no other med working to prevent seizures or PTSD related issues that are life threatening.
    So depending on how many years you've been fighting opiate dependency and how at risk you are for relapse on opiates, be thoughtful and consider that Suboxone is just as hard if not tougher to get off of than Methadone. Good luck!
    1232 likes this.