getting sick trying to get off effexor?
    DAVIDB36 is offline New Member

Default getting sick trying to get off effexor?

I'VE BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4-5 YEARS. I'VE BEEN WANTING TO COME OFF THIS MED. LATELY. BUT AFTER ABOUT A DAY OR TWO WITHOUT TAKING IT, I GET REAL DIZZY HEADED AND NAUSIATED. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW A SOLUTION?

sack is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by DAVIDB36

I'VE BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4-5 YEARS. I'VE BEEN WANTING TO COME OFF THIS MED. LATELY. BUT AFTER ABOUT A DAY OR TWO WITHOUT TAKING IT, I GET REAL DIZZY HEADED AND NAUSIATED. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW A SOLUTION?
    David u picked a hard one to come of u are going to have to taper down,it will take u awhile u built up your seratonin blood serum so ask your dr, to make u tailored plan to get off of it u can do it good luck Sack~~~~~~~out

Rob1 is offline New Member

I had a similar problem so my Doc gave me a few samples of Prozac weekly to take after stopping Effexor. If memory servers, I took it for two or three weeks, then stopped with no problem.

Good Luck.

dmich1169 is offline New Member

I got off Effexor about 2 months ago, I hear exactly what your saying! I was getting dizzy and felt like I was on an LSD trip. Their called "brain shivers" its as if you move your body and your head doesn't catch up with the rest of you. I hope I am making sense. I was nausea & throwing up too. It took about 2-3wks to feel completely better. So I know its tough hang in there!

gramatt is offline New Member

Hi David...............I know how you feel...I am trying to get off of the Effexor too. It is the most horrific nightmare I have ever experienced. I am taking the 150 mg Effexor XR (for a year) daily for hot flashes....truthly..the hot flashes are better than taking the Effexor. I tried coming off.....cold turkey....DO NOT DO THAT!!!!
    On the 3rd day without taking the Effexor, I woke up with a severe, severe headache. I felt as though I could have lifted my face off of my head with no problem at all. I was vomitting, severe nose bleeds, "Brain Tremors", very bad.....crying, dizzy, and that is just some of the side effects. I went ahead and took one of the 150 mg Effexor caps, all side effects were gone in about 10 minutes. The next day, I poured out half of the medication in the caps and took that, it's been 4 days now on just half a day. So far doing ok, but I do see the Dr. on Jan 8, 2007 to help me get off totally. Do Not try this alone...go to your Doctor if you want off....let them help you. I will NEVER take any kind of ANTI-DEPRESSANT again. NEVER...I was so healthy before this....the Effexor also causes sever weight gain......I gained over 20 lbs in 1 year. I have not ever been over-weight or sick until I started taking Effexor....please let me know how you are and please see your Doctor.

quote:Originally posted by DAVIDB36