Neurontin
    nekite is offline New Member

Default Neurontin

Neurontin is highly overrated. They give it to you when they
    are not quite sure what your peripheral neuropathy is from
    I am weaning off it and feeling better..

stanley6415 is offline New Member

I was on neurontin for well over two years for chronic pain at a dose of 1800mg's a day divided into three doses of 600 mg's. I found that it had little if any effect and just recently was weaned off of it within two months. It is a quite expensive pill, and I just could not justify the means without the results. Has anybody else been on it for chronic pain( specifically low back with surgery and buttocks and leg pain and cramps?) Thank You for your responses. Bye now ! LATER !!!

supersport is offline New Member

Hi Friends
    I have also had peripheral neuropathy for many years and all Doctors prescribe Neurontin. I have gone to many doctors who say they have new procedures for neuropathy and guess what they prescribe Neuronton, One gave me a new medicine which would have cost me $600.00 a month. Luckly she gave me enough for five weeks and they did not work. The Peripheral Neuropathy association says "New medicine for that disease is on its way. This has been five years. I will just have to grin and bear the pain

nekite is offline New Member

stanley, it seemed to help me some, for a while,
    but I do not have pain, just little weird sensations
    in lower legs, once in a while for 4 months now...

tdoodlez is offline New Member

I have been on Neurontin for about 5 years (1600 mg/day)—having also been on Lortab previously. First, let me be (apparently) the only one crediting Neurontin for probably saving my life. I survived a malignant spinal cord astrocytoma, which, along with surgery and radiation, did a lot of damage. Years of narcotic analgesics left me dopey and exhausted. The Lortab worked well for a while, then less so. My dr. told my that the problem was that along with the adiction/withdrawal problem, the Lortab over time would become less effective requiring ever-increasing doses—as is true of most narcotics. He switched me to Neurotin.
    It did not eliminate the pain but did make it manageable. I've been on it, as I said, for years, and am grateful for it. I've heard of many side-effects, none of which I've had to endure (it gave my mother, while battling cancer, terrible nightmares).
    So, mine is one vote in favor of the Neurontin in that it allows me to manage my life better with less pain and more brain (it's only a coincidence that that rhymes!).
    If you can take it without side effects, go for it, until a better drug for chronic pain comes along.
    Rickcampbell33@yahoo.com

face7777 is offline New Member

that neurontin gave me a bad reaction after about 3-5 months after starting it i was taking it for nerve damage and i was hopsitalized for a breakdown, there is a class action suit (i'm not part of) because of many cases of attempted suicide has anyone else heard about this?

Casey55 is offline Member

I think taking Neurontin for nerve pain is tricky. I think there are some kinds of nerve pain it can help, and others it does not help. If nerve pain is being generated directly from nerve damage, as in the case of tdoodlez, or when used to relieve the burning nerve pain that sometimes persists for months or even years after an attack of shingles (herpes zoster).then that is probably more what it is meant to work on and help. But if your pain is coming from a compressed nerve, due to say a spinal disc herniation, then I don't think it is as likely, if at all possible, that the Neurontin will work in that type of case.

I would conclude, that Neurontin can be and is a very effective drug when used for certain types of nerve pain, depending on the cause of that nerve pain.

Many drugs that are tested and approved for one thing, are found later to work for other things as well. I have been on Neurontin for the purpose of a mood stabilizer for years and it works very well for me for that reason. But I have also suffered for the past 4 yrs with back pain and have had four back surgeries. The cause was a herniated disc that eventually needed fusing. The entire time I was on neurontin, but it did absolutley nothing for my back pain, and I wouldn't expect it to.

I would agree, that Neurontin is over rated in use of certain types of nerve pain, such as back pain due to nerve compression. I know a lot of people with back problems, taking Neurontin, who are getting no relief from it.

I am not aware of any reason, studies or evidence why Neurontin would be indicated as the cause of a suicide.

What side effects may occur?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Neurontin.

When taken for epilepsy, more common side effects may include:
    Blurred, dimmed, or double vision, bronchitis (in children), dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, fever (in children), involuntary eye movement, itchy, runny nose, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, tremor, viral infection (in children), vomiting, weight increase (in children)

When taken for nerve pain, more common side effects may include:
    Accidental injury, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, infection, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, swelling in arms and legs, vomiting, weakness

Casey