Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
new here and really need some help with addiction
    Lost83 is offline Senior Member

Wow, he was doing ok without them and just taking the aleve. You don't need me to tell you this is definitely a problem for him. I pray you have the strength to do what is best for you and your family. He needs to choose recovery but it doesn't look like he is willing to go that route. I know it's not easy, I am in the same position and I chose to let my hubby stay because I couldn't bring myself to put him in a homeless shelter. But if it comes to it, I will. I can't go insane worrying about him all the time and I refuse to watch him kill himself. Stay strong!

On another note, I am taking my little one trick or treating tonight, I am so excited! I feel like a kid again myself.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mikie7911 View Post
    robert and lost,

ya'll are so kind to ck on me. here's what has been going on and please let me know your thoughts! he had just opened up his bottle the last time i posted and was only going to take a pill at night, well, then he started taking one in the am and one at night, which he pretty well has stuck to, but....there are days that he is back to taking 3 or 4 a day. i know to some that may not seem so bad, but, i've been through this before and that is how it always gets started. now, he is down to 48 pills out of that bottle of 120, ordered another bottle, and so the cycle begins. i had tried very hard to have the don't give a S...T attitude and not to be obsessive about counting pills, but i just can't get over my obsessiveness, (lost i know you understand where i'm coming from). last night i blew up and told him i would not go through this again, he said, well, when you see i'm taking too many, just let me know so i can slow down.....WHY do i have to be the pill police, doesn't he know when he opens that bottle that HE is the only one that can control it! most days he is pretty much himself, but when he takes too many, it just really p...es me off! what do i do????????? if it weren't for my kids at home, i know what i'd do but.......i'm affraid of what that would do to them. my youngest is in grammar school and i know that would just kill him, he doesn't know about the pills nor do i feel like i can explain that in a way that wouldn't warp his little brain.

please advise!

You already know how I feel about all this. I said it before that his insisting that he needed pain meds for sleep was an excuse to use.

There is no way that I believe it's best for children to remain in a negative environment like drug abusing parents. That is not the answer even if change causes them pain in the immediate future. They would get over it.

I wouldn't be a pill cop either. He is using that as an excuse to use too. I think he acts like a four year old personally. My advice from the past still holds true for today. Nothing has changed because you have allowed it to move forward. If you were my sister I would have to ask you just what the hell do you think you are accomplishing by continuing to allow this nonsense? Of course I am probably stepping into your private space but that is how I feel. I get so tired of seeing people being abused and taken advantage of by drug addicts who don't care. God bless.

mikie7911 is offline Member

robert,

i know exactly where you are coming from, you have not stepped on my toes in any way! i truely appreciate the honesty!

i'll keep you updated on how things go with me.

tecksoonsux is offline New Member

I think that ur husband should control his usage of pills and do not overdose it because there may be side effects.

LawGirl is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie7911 View Post
    i've never posted to a board before but i'm in need of some advise, help, anything! my husband has had 2 disc replacements in his neck, has a couple more buldging disc that do get imflammed and cause pain, and he has degenerative disc disease, is in his early 40's. has been taking hydrocodein 10 mg, prescribed for 4 a day so he gets 120 once a month. when he first gets his bottle, he starts out pretty good, then starts taking more than he needs, towards the end of the month, he runs out, tappers off of what he still has, goes through withdrawals, says he's not going to do that again...then, the new bottle comes in and the cycle continues. this has gone on for 3 1/2 years. his moods are all dependant on where he is at in his supply of pills. if he has plenty and takes too much, he's all woo hoo and in a great mood, talkative, likes to spend money, go do things. then when he is towards the end of the bottle he is GROUCHY, hurting, (don't know if that is from real pain or withdrawal pain). after about a year of this i was mainly just watching to see what would happen and would never say anything. i finally got on my big girl britches about 8 months ago and confronted him that he has a problem. from what i have read, i really don't know how much a day is too much for him to take but i know that when he doubles up on his dose, taking 8 a day instead of 4, that he's getting into trouble. i tell him throughout the month when i know he's been taking too much and he'll always have an excuse like it was because he did too much that day and was hurting worse. i have been reading on addictive families and i do know that this viscious cycle is apparent in our family life. we all know when he's had too much, eyes pinpoint, speach is different and all woo hooy and when he's running out and he is very ugly to everyone, don't want to do anything and backs out of plans that were made when he was on too much pills. when he is running out, he won't answer calls from his friends that otherwise, when he's on plenty, he will call and talk talk talk. i have talked to him over and over again about getting help, he don't want to tell dr that he is addicted cuz of them cutting him off his supply. everytime we go through this end of the bottle thing, he says he's going to try not to take any unless he is hurting too bad, or that he'll take what is prescribed but then that all changes. he will do real good for a week then see that he has extra and will start taking 2 x the dose. hope i'm not rambling, but i need some advice please. can he get off narcotics for pain??? suggestions??? i have also felt in the past that when he gets low on his bottle that he may be getting some extra from somewhere else and did confront him about that, he did admit to it and has promised he wouldn't do that anymore. since that promise, did do it one time, again promises not to anymore.
    oh honey. The term for your husband is a "drug addict".

What you just wrote is the complete, 100% of chronic addiction. The disease has totally overcome his entire brain & hijacked all his brain sensors that maintain the status quo .

i went through the exact same things,WORD FOR WORD, when the disease was running rampant in my brain. It is a SOUL STEALING disease, and at this point, I'm sorry to say that you have become an enabler to him.

The ONLY thing that YOU personally can do is #1: Quit enabling him (i know easier said than done) #2 Cure yourself. Get into a family counseling program so you can learn how to help yourself here.

Nothing can help him until He makes that decision. Intervention? Yeah, maybe it will work & help for a little while, but he's got to want sobriety MORE than he wants those pills, and right now it seems like he is in the throws of his addiction. Like a person in quicksand that you can't help,you must let go & have him find his own way.

All addicts were there at some point...I was so bad off, psychiatrists were trying to diagnose me with bipolar disorder!!! Little did they know, it all DIRECTLY correlated to the # pills in that bottle. Making false promises to yourself about cutting back, trying to alot a certain # pills per day...all of that "regulation" does not work, & actually undermines your sobriety because it focuses on "control", and the fact that you are trying to "control" that which is "uncontrollable" will stray you further away from the path.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Hey LawGirl, you are responding to a post from 2008. I doubt they will see your post.

LawGirl is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    Hey LawGirl, you are responding to a post from 2008. I doubt they will see your post.
    I just figured out how to navigate this site, & I noticed the date after I posted that. Although sometimes it's hard for people to accept that their loved ones are addicts. That is so the case in my family.

ouch in use is offline New Member

So in other words, it is possible to go from abuse to use (for pain)?

ouch in use is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    Oops, just saw your reply. I'm still learning to get around too (while going through the WDs--not thinking too cleary)

mikie7911 is offline Member

law girl: i'm still here, just haven't posted in a while, same story, different day, alot has gone on since my last post, too much to go into, however, things are still the same. i know i'm an enabler to let him keep getting away with this, i give him ultimatums, then he's good for a coulple weeks, even a couple months, then boom, things just start off all over again. i'm very depressed over this and suggestions are appreciated. how did you get off and stay off?

Thebyrdman is offline New Member

I can relate entirely with this situation. I started stealing prescription pills from my father when I was 13 years old. I began my addiction mixing the yellow and blue hydrocodones("Tens") which were enormously available in the medicine cabinet. Then one day I found a bottle of 240 10mg methadone tablets in my father's ro om. I can attest first-hand that methadone, when taken in the early stages of one's addiction, is Extremely addicting! After seven years of on/off use, I finally went to my father and explained everything, and even suggested a solution to the problem. Lock the controlled substances in a safe. Simple isn't it? Every contlrolled substance should be secured behind a lock, especially when there are room-mates, family members, or any children or adolescents living with you.

coolyman is offline Banned

The disease first family's patience companionship, so he reduced the number of addicts, while maintaining a happy mood, so that from a psychological begin treatment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234