New to Lexapro -- question
    jpsscribe is offline New Member

Default New to Lexapro -- question

I just started taking Lexapro last week and it is already helping a little bit. But it seems like I am more stressed in the morning and start feeling better in the afternoon. Is this how it starts working in some people? I have some Xanax too and sometimes take a half (they are a small dosage anyway) when I feel like I need it but I am trying not too today to see how I feel w/o it.
    Also I keep reading these horror stories about people coming off of Lexapro. I'm hoping there are some people who DON'T have a really bad experience getting off of it. Is there anyone who did not have a lot of problems? I had a bad experience with Zoloft (more the getting on than the getting off) so I was scared to start another drug but my dr says she thinks Lexapro will be ok and so far so good. She started me on only 5 mg and I bumped up to 10 a couple days ago.

dooger is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by jpsscribe

I just started taking Lexapro last week and it is already helping a little bit. But it seems like I am more stressed in the morning and start feeling better in the afternoon. Is this how it starts working in some people? I have some Xanax too and sometimes take a half (they are a small dosage anyway) when I feel like I need it but I am trying not too today to see how I feel w/o it.
    Also I keep reading these horror stories about people coming off of Lexapro. I'm hoping there are some people who DON'T have a really bad experience getting off of it. Is there anyone who did not have a lot of problems? I had a bad experience with Zoloft (more the getting on than the getting off) so I was scared to start another drug but my dr says she thinks Lexapro will be ok and so far so good. She started me on only 5 mg and I bumped up to 10 a couple days ago.

dooger is offline New Member

Hi I am new to this forum in fact I am having trouble even using this forum. This is my first insert. I hav ebeen on Lexapro (5) mgs for 2 years. I would take it about 4:00 just before my husband got home. This way I was calmer and would just let things roll off my back. It did help. I stopped because I feel that I have less stress with out it. When I stopped cold turkey I got brain zaps. I took one pill today the brain zaps stopped. I will take a quarter of a pill tomorrow. Brain zaps are very very bad. You should not drive if you are having them. They are like little siezures. I feel that very soon there will be additional warnings and lawsuits that come with lexapro as I am only on 5 mgs and the brain zaps are like little strokes. You cannot function in public. I don't know if I would recommend lexapro as I am scared that these brain zaps will be here if I stop.
    quote:Originally posted by jpsscribe

yogaja70 is offline New Member

Hi. I am new to the forum. I have been on lexapro for 2 years now, started at 10mg and now take 25mg (20mg and 1/2of a 10 mg)
    I take it for generalized anxiety disorder, i was scared to take it.
    I had taken zoloft before and just feared taking medications so i stoped taking the zoloft on my own. I have had succes with the lexapro, my anxiety is under control, finally. no weight gain, at the beginning I had some aggitation and again aggitation when i changed doses but that went away after a day or so. Lexapro has helped me. BUT I have been reading the horrors of withdrawl when going off lexapro. I don't recommend going off anydrug on your own, always under a doctors supervision. they can help you to wein off the drug with a dosing schedule.
    one thing I do recall about lexapro is if i miss a dose or delay a dose i get those brain zaps I have been hearing about.

ehop is offline New Member

I took Lexapro 10mg a few years back because of anxiety and panic attacks. It worked very well and after a while I realized that I hadn't had any more panic attacks. However, there were side effects that, after 7 months on Lexapro, I couldn't deal with any longer. In those 7 months I gained 30lbs. Except for pregnancy, I had never been that heavy before. It increased hunger, I ate more at each meal, and I craved carbs and sweets. I have always had a carb/sweet-tooth, but the difference was instead of my usual moderation and attention to my weight, I actually didn't care anymore. I also had a change in my demeanor and emotions. Things that were so fun and exciting before just weren't.

I remember 4th of July, one of my favorite holidays, watching fireworks and I didn't get anything out of it. Also, no matter how sad, how upset, I could not cry. One of the most troubling side effects is what I recently learned is called anorgasmic, which in plain english means it is absolutely impossible to have an orgasm. The most we could accomplish was a pleasant feeling yet no relief. Very frustrating and troubling to me and my husband. So, after several months I realized that since Lexapro had relieved my symptoms, and I could be certain that NO I wasn't dying of a heart attack, maybe I could get off of the drug with that confidence. Maybe I could just know it was only anxiety and let it pass.

So, to wean off of Lexapro, I gave myself a full month to do it very slowly. I took half a pill a day for two weeks (bought a pill splitter), then half a pill every other day for two weeks and then I stopped. During this time I started going to the gym to work out on the elliptical machine three times a week working up to 45 min. at a time. I believe the regular stress-relieving exercise eased my withdrawal as I had zero withdrawal symptoms. The slow weaning was key. All of those drugs say DO NOT quit cold turkey. Your brain has been used to those chemicals being present, I wouldn't want to mess with my brain by shocking it. So, anyway, no more Lexapro. (The sexual problem lingered for a couple more months after quitting). I had two decent winters and now this one has been rough. After Buspar and Wellbutrin failing to relieve the anxiety, I am about to start Effexor.

Patience is offline Member

PLEASE read about Effexor befpre starting it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a lot more bad postings about effexor than any drug out there. I was on it for 2 months and quit cold turkey (I know not good) but it is 5 months later and I am still going through some residual withdrawal. Please just look around before you start it. Poeple cannot get off of this drug. They call it "side-Effexor" in the business......

Yetti is offline New Member

I hate to be a Pity Party pooper.. but I just started Lexapro. Before I was in a state of depression where I was not functionable. I have had minimum side effects so far on this drug and my life is happy, functioning and normal as a result. Yes in 3 days my family,my psychologist and I noted the change and effects. I am sure withdrawl of any drug is a problem as it was having depression.. I have OCD and I live with anxiety everyday.... this drug has made mylife bearable. I am soon going on cognative behavioral therapy and will eventuallly be off the drugs. Its nice to know for a short time I can have a happy unworrisome life in the intrum. I thought I could get some support on this board.. and I do see withdrawl will be a challenge, but this board is worse than any side effect I have experienced on this drug.... Can we have some positive people here who have had success with it? Also Never take alcohol with drugs like this.... its on the internet at Lexipro website.... you should not even have to ask.. I had one glass of wine and I was fine but I plan not to take any more because it just plain good sense... When I go through withdrawl I will write back here and compare my effects... So far things are great for me... I have lost weight on this drug... and it encourages me to exercise at the gym...

Yetti

leighmom is offline New Member

My husband and I both take Lexapro for depression and anxiety.
    I was taking Wellbutrin for my long history of depression and that stopped working for me after five or six months. I let my depression get bad and I started having panic attacks which I had never had before. I saw a new psyhciatrist who prescribed Cymbalta (horrible nausea the first night I took it and had headaches for a couple of weeks and then they just stopped). I took that for about a month or so (which I refer to as the "honeymoon" phase)and then the Cymbalta stopped working for me as my depression and anxiety surfaced again. The doctor then prescribed Lexapro 10mg and I didn't have to wean from Cymbalta- I was able to just stop it. The Lexapro 10mg was working well until I had the most intense blood-vessel-popping migraine. If I even moved my eyeballs the pain would intensify- it was like my head was caught in a vice and someone kept making it tighter and tighter. So the doctor reduced the dose to 5mg (and I had to switch dr.s for insurance reasons) and I haven't not had another migraine. I have had mini-panic attacks due to extreme stress but I have some Xanax that I can take if needed. Now I feel my depression is controlled but I still have a lot of anger so I am working with the new psychiatrist to try to resolve issues from my past.

i read sone talking about brain zaps? can you be more specific? i'd like to know if this is happening to me.

Leigh

yackyackyack is offline New Member

Question

Is Lexapro anything like Paxil? Which one of the SSRI's is it compairable to?

starrfish3 is offline New Member

Thumbs up laxapro helped

I have a possitive story!
    I started laxapro about 3 months ago and have had no problems with it so far no side affects here and it helped me right away. I wouldnt be on it withough consulting with my dr. I wouldnt say I was severly depressed but I did cry almost everyday and I wasnt acting myself. I was doing things I would never have done before. I recently moved and left a life behind that I loved, had to move because of my husbands job. It has been hard to ajust to the move so after struggling for a year I talked with my dr and went on laxapro. I felt laxapro work almost as soon as I started takin it. my life has been easier to deal with. when I choose to get off of it, I will do it with my dr's help. no cold turkey here!

starrfish3 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
    I hate to be a Pity Party pooper.. but I just started Lexapro. Before I was in a state of depression where I was not functionable. I have had minimum side effects so far on this drug and my life is happy, functioning and normal as a result. Yes in 3 days my family,my psychologist and I noted the change and effects. I am sure withdrawl of any drug is a problem as it was having depression.. I have OCD and I live with anxiety everyday.... this drug has made mylife bearable. I am soon going on cognative behavioral therapy and will eventuallly be off the drugs. Its nice to know for a short time I can have a happy unworrisome life in the intrum. I thought I could get some support on this board.. and I do see withdrawl will be a challenge, but this board is worse than any side effect I have experienced on this drug.... Can we have some positive people here who have had success with it? Also Never take alcohol with drugs like this.... its on the internet at Lexipro website.... you should not even have to ask.. I had one glass of wine and I was fine but I plan not to take any more because it just plain good sense... When I go through withdrawl I will write back here and compare my effects... So far things are great for me... I have lost weight on this drug... and it encourages me to exercise at the gym...

Yetti
    I am here to say, I am having no problems with lexapro. I started it about 3 months ago and have had no side affects. I am really glad I am on it because it has helped me so much! I plan to stay on it for 6 months and then with my dr's help, slowly get off of it. don't want to take it if it is not needed. dont want the withdrawls. I am with you. it is helpful and with a dr's supervision, it is worth taking if really needed.

idviceroy is offline New Member

Default Starting Lexapro

I too started Lexapro a few weeks ago, and although some of the side effects are starting to even themselves out (and a few others are creeping up and getting worse--the sexual ones!) I too felt the same concerning that burst of energy.

I would drag in the mornings, then feel good by 10am or so, get through the day, in some cases very happily and productively, then start to wear out by 8pm in the evening.

I would (and still ) take the drug around 8am. Again, I really didn't kick into gear until around 10am, but in the last few days I am finding that I'm my old, usual get up and go in the morning kinda of guy.

krissyd is offline New Member

Unhappy Lexapro and Weight gain, depression, headaches...etc

I have been taking 10 mg daily since May, 2007. I felt good for a month (maybe) I have noticed weight gain, (7lbs) since May, I am normally a very petite gal, normally 110-112 lbs. I am so tired, awful tired actually.... lack of sex drive irritable , depressed and my migraines are almost daily. I want to get off this med, I will call my doc, but i am nervous after reading everyones threads about weaning off Lexapro. I am actually worried about my family, I do not want them to see or experience mom freaking out.... Does anyone have any "happy news", I guess I am looking for someone to tell me I will be fine under a physicians care, I will lose my weight soon, more energy, and I will not freak out infront of my family while I wean off this awful drug that helped me for only 1 month.....

Thanks
    Krissyd
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-08-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krissyd View Post

I have been taking 10 mg daily since May, 2007. I felt good for a month (maybe) I have noticed weight gain, (7lbs) since May, I am normally a very petite gal, normally 110-112 lbs. I am so tired, awful tired actually.... lack of sex drive irritable , depressed and my migraines are almost daily. I want to get off this med, I will call my doc, but i am nervous after reading everyones threads about weaning off Lexapro. I am actually worried about my family, I do not want them to see or experience mom freaking out.... Does anyone have any "happy news", I guess I am looking for someone to tell me I will be fine under a physicians care, I will lose my weight soon, more energy, and I will not freak out infront of my family while I wean off this awful drug that helped me for only 1 month.....

Thanks
    Krissyd
    Hi there!

I had been on Lexapro for anxiety since late fall last year, and it really is a wonder drug. I just felt like myself again after having been on merely 5mg for only a couple of weeks. Then I gained 20#, and this year decided to go off the drug. I did so gradually over about a week, then quit. (I'm not the most patient person in the world. :-) No withdrawal symptoms at all.

Now I'm back on it again due to the anxiety. I think the weight gain had more to do with my inability to keep up my regular exercise regimen due to painful condromalacia in my right knee. I had an arthroscopy on it this past April, and while it's healing well, I've been dealing (rather unsuccessfully) with sciatica in the other leg for weeks. I'm sure the constant muscle spasms creating the sciatica pain come from both stress and anxiety over my current job plus the stress and anxiety over going back to school this fall (to change careers!). I figure if I can reduce the stress & anxiety level with Lexapro, perhaps these physical symptoms will fade.

Lexapro really has been a miracle solution for me!

elvis19359 is offline New Member

Wink New to Lexapro

I have taken Lexapro for 3 or 4 years off an on. For me no problems with it when i stopped taking it. But am sure that's not the case with everyone. Once i started taking it i felt fine. I felt fine all day long. Give lexapro sometime an see how it's going to work with you.But always check with your Dr.