New Year's Resolution: Quitting Rx Drugs
    Miles is offline Member

Default New Year's Resolution: Quitting Rx Drugs

A New Year’s Resolution
    Is Quitting Your Prescription Drug Part of It?

(PRWEB) January 4, 2006 -- The New Year is upon us and many people have made a resolution to stop their antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications or sleeping pills. While the wish to be drug-free can be compelling, many will experience a host of withdrawal symptoms that could leave some unable to function.

Although medications such as Effexor, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft and Celexa are considered non-addictive, there are many people who describe vast swings in anger and depression or a severe flu-like symptom lasting for many weeks or even months. Unfortunately, most do not attribute it to the medication and suffer in silence - afraid they are losing their mind. Antidepressants have a common side effect of depression that can worsen in withdrawal, particularly with abrupt cessation of the drug.

Drugs such as Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan and Valium are generally prescribed for anxiety or insomnia but also have a side effect of anxiety or panic that may worsen in withdrawals. This classification of drugs, known as benzodiazepines can also be extremely dangerous to quit cold-turkey, as blood pressure could soar, leading to a stroke or seizure. Unfortunately, many of our elderly are on this classification of drugs and due to recent changes in the prescription coverage of the Medicare Act, may quit abruptly not realizing the danger.

This was certainly the case with Alesandra Rain, co-founder of Label Me Sane, an organization that both educates on the dangers of all drugs, particularly psychiatric medications, but also offers help for those individuals who are seeking a safe method to withdraw.

“I thought I was losing my mind and had no idea what was happening to me,” states Rain. “It was the pain of withdrawals that prompted me to create an organization that could help others so they would not have to suffer as I did,” concludes Rain.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics Press, half of all Americans take at least one prescription medicine and one in six are taking three of more medications, which is a 40% increase since 2000. The Use of antidepressants nearly tripled in the last ten years and the use of anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills has skyrocketed. Prescription drugs remain the faster growing expenditure with medical costs and may be leaving many people at risk.

For more information on a safe tapering method, contact www.labelmesane.com or call toll free 866.369.0295.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I can say from experience that Cymbalta, Paxil, Zoloft, and Zyprexa all cause withdrawals. So much for their non-addictive claims. OF course, anyone who believes that has to be mentally questionable themselves, as our bodies get dependent on anything we eat, drink, or take regularly for prolonged periods of time. Anything from meds to Diet Coke, and if a doc tries to tell you different, they need to go back to med school.

Yet, there are so many docs who do try to convince people of just that, and then as the article you posted says, they think they are going nuts when they suffer problems after stopping a med. Go figure.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~