RE: Duragesic for Chronic Pain
    jazpoppy is offline New Member

Default RE: Duragesic for Chronic Pain

I have chronic pain. I have chronic achille's tendonosis, chronic spinal stenosis and a heriated L4/L5 disk, plus degeneration in a couple of other disks, bursitis of the hips, chronic cervical strain (caused by whiplash, turned into arthritis), carpel tunnel syndrome, osteo-arthritis in my hands from repetitive motion (typing), knee pain caused by a few falls on my left knee that has chipped some cartilidge, arthritis in my right ankle due to a improper healing of a fracture, and chronic migraines. YUCK! I am only 28 years old! I am in pain 24/7, and I currently take buprenorphine 24mg a day. It worked for about 2 months, now it does absolutely nothing, and I have withdrawal if I don't take it! A doctor and my family/friends are suggesting that I try duragesic patch. My doctor said that it is much safer than taking vicodin or darvocet like I do for breakthru pain and works much better than buprenorphine. I just am afraid to even ask for it. I don't want to sound like I am looking for drugs, and I want my pain doctor to recommend what he thinks I should be on. My doctor that suggested this patch, said he will talk to my pain doctor for me(i see my pain doctor next week) and suggest this patch. I am afraid of the side effects, and the addiction. I just hope that the effects are worth the pain relief! I know that right now, I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, and I wish sometimes that I would die in my sleep so I don't have to be in pain anymore. Anyone that has any info on how well this patch works for arthirtic pain, sciatica, and lower back pain, please let me know. I appreciate all advice, whether for the patch or against it. Thanks!

Sincerely;

Jaz

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

If you want my opinion I think that patch is worth a try.Fentynal is a powerful narcotic and from what your condition sounds like you need it.Vicoden and percocets are ok for acute pain were they aren't used for a long time.They are far to weak for your chronic condition.Have you tried methadone,it is similar to buprenorphene.Good luck and let us know how your doing....Dave

Milhouse688 is offline New Member

This is a copy of the post that wrote in this forum a few days ago. Hopefully this will help you out and give you some answers. If your doctor is willing to give you a script for Fentanyl, then it's my advice to at least try it out. I know I wrote a lot about the newer generic patch, but it should not be a problem to someone who has never even worn a patch before, no matter what I hope you have good luck.

Hi, I'm new to this site, this is the first time I've been to this site. I want to know peoples opinions of the new generic "Mylan" fentanyl patch and on the amount of medication I'm on.
    The patch I'm used to getting is the 75mcg Sandoz patch, and its prescribed use for me is to put a new patch on every 2 days. I use this patch because of a growth in my spinal cord by my neck plus multiple bulging discs is my lower back. This causes horrible sharp pain starting from the back of my skull down to the middle of my back, and it goes across and down both shoulders all the way to my elbows and somehow its caused my right elbow to go numb. The discs are causing a dull-ish constant pain that feels like a 300 pound man is standing on my lower back. I am also given 120 percocets (of the lowest dose), in case the patch does not cover all the pain, which it doesn't do all the times. I want people to know that the patch is amazing. Before the I discovered the patch there were times that I was in so much pain that it would bring me to tears. It also caused me to have to miss lots of days at work, and then lose a couple jobs because of the pain and restrictions and obviously altering my life very negatively. I was 21 when diagnosed and now I am 23. The fact that I was so young and could not even go out with my friends and do something as simple as bowling was horrible. My pain limited me to mainly sitting on the sidelines (figuretivly and literally at points).
    This patch has changed my life. I can do so many things that I used to do before all the pain started. I'm also 10 times happier since finding the Fentanyl patch, I started using it about 6 months after I found out the diagnosis, before that I went through a half dozen meds, without any constant help.
    I just need to know what this new generic patch will do. I know what it looks like, but will it act differently? less potent? More potent? Does it stick better or worse? Give me any information you have, please, it will help me greatly. Also I want to know if other people are prescribed these meds the way I. Does anyone have the patch prescribed for 2 days at a time only? Does anyone recieve percocets or any other pain reducing pills along with the patch?

Milhouse688 is offline New Member

This is a copy of the post that wrote in this forum a few days ago. Hopefully this will help you out and give you some answers. If your doctor is willing to give you a script for Fentanyl, then it's my advice to at least try it out. I know I wrote a lot about the newer generic patch, but it should not be a problem to someone who has never even worn a patch before, no matter what I hope you have good luck. If you get the patch prescribed to you, then you can always ask the pharmacist which brand they have, if your worried about it.

Hi, I'm new to this site, this is the first time I've been to this site. I want to know peoples opinions of the new generic "Mylan" fentanyl patch and on the amount of medication I'm on.
    The patch I'm used to getting is the 75mcg Sandoz patch, and its prescribed use for me is to put a new patch on every 2 days. I use this patch because of a growth in my spinal cord by my neck plus multiple bulging discs is my lower back. This causes horrible sharp pain starting from the back of my skull down to the middle of my back, and it goes across and down both shoulders all the way to my elbows and somehow its caused my right elbow to go numb. The discs are causing a dull-ish constant pain that feels like a 300 pound man is standing on my lower back. I am also given 120 percocets (of the lowest dose), in case the patch does not cover all the pain, which it doesn't do all the times. I want people to know that the patch is amazing. Before the I discovered the patch there were times that I was in so much pain that it would bring me to tears. It also caused me to have to miss lots of days at work, and then lose a couple jobs because of the pain and restrictions and obviously altering my life very negatively. I was 21 when diagnosed and now I am 23. The fact that I was so young and could not even go out with my friends and do something as simple as bowling was horrible. My pain limited me to mainly sitting on the sidelines (figuretivly and literally at points).
    This patch has changed my life. I can do so many things that I used to do before all the pain started. I'm also 10 times happier since finding the Fentanyl patch, I started using it about 6 months after I found out the diagnosis, before that I went through a half dozen meds, without any constant help.
    I just need to know what this new generic patch will do. I know what it looks like, but will it act differently? less potent? More potent? Does it stick better or worse? Give me any information you have, please, it will help me greatly. Also I want to know if other people are prescribed these meds the way I. Does anyone have the patch prescribed for 2 days at a time only? Does anyone recieve percocets or any other pain reducing pills along with the patch?

adnohr420 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by jazpoppy

I have chronic pain. I have chronic achille's tendonosis, chronic spinal stenosis and a heriated L4/L5 disk, plus degeneration in a couple of other disks, bursitis of the hips, chronic cervical strain (caused by whiplash, turned into arthritis), carpel tunnel syndrome, osteo-arthritis in my hands from repetitive motion (typing), knee pain caused by a few falls on my left knee that has chipped some cartilidge, arthritis in my right ankle due to a improper healing of a fracture, and chronic migraines. YUCK! I am only 28 years old! I am in pain 24/7, and I currently take buprenorphine 24mg a day. It worked for about 2 months, now it does absolutely nothing, and I have withdrawal if I don't take it! A doctor and my family/friends are suggesting that I try duragesic patch. My doctor said that it is much safer than taking vicodin or darvocet like I do for breakthru pain and works much better than buprenorphine. I just am afraid to even ask for it. I don't want to sound like I am looking for drugs, and I want my pain doctor to recommend what he thinks I should be on. My doctor that suggested this patch, said he will talk to my pain doctor for me(i see my pain doctor next week) and suggest this patch. I am afraid of the side effects, and the addiction. I just hope that the effects are worth the pain relief! I know that right now, I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, and I wish sometimes that I would die in my sleep so I don't have to be in pain anymore. Anyone that has any info on how well this patch works for arthirtic pain, sciatica, and lower back pain, please let me know. I appreciate all advice, whether for the patch or against it. Thanks!

Sincerely;

Jaz

adnohr420 is offline New Member

Hi,

I have used the patch, and it was great, then I lost my insurance, and went to the State's help! (just until new employment insurance began), and that has not occurred as I have had tremendous trials since this pain visited me. Knee surgery, lower back pain due to car accident, so I have been doing self pay, and those patches are almost $500.00. However, if you have insurance they are the greatest. Not everyone is the same, but I did not have any withdrawls, and I've not been on the patch for almost a year.

God Bless

sophora is offline New Member

Hi- give it a try - some persons do very well with it. i tried it for severe chronic pain and it worked well- once i came to the correct dose i needed. It takes a long time to begin working - 8 hrs about at first and you need short term breakthrough. It was fine all winter- no problems. Be careful to follow use instructions exactly- and disposal instuctions.
    i had to stop it after becoming sick because i work in a greenhouse and it released too quickly in the high temperatures- 115 degrees on sunny days.

Take care,
    kerria