Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopefuldee
The Road To Recovery & A Happy Life
    Hopefuldee is offline New Member

Default The Road To Recovery & A Happy Life

Hey everbody, wanted to share a story and hopefully get some insight on how this will all get better. I first started using percocets maybe 5 years ago. It started as a recreational thing just getting on too feel good, than over the years it got outta control. It started with taking a 15 mg and it would be so much that I would throw up. Gradually increased to taking 30 mg than to 60 mg a day just to get high and enjoy myself. It was only until recently I had a wake up call and no longer wanted to live this lifestyle being broke, unhappy, depressed, achy body, and withdrawling. I recently got broken up with by my girlfriend of 2 years plus. Her dad recently died, she isn't happy with where she is in life, and no longer get she could make me happy. We were using together in our relationship and it got out of control. I've noticed that our relationship soon became more fighting and irritability around one another that was never there until we started abusing percocets, ultimately drifting us apart. We were so happy in the beginning and the drug literally began to consume our relationship. She recently decided to get herself into a rehab in FL to get better and I haven't had contact with her since she left. Obviously, losing someone so important to me made me get depressed and feel hopeless. I started taking percocets as usual for awhile to cope with losing the love of my life. The huge wake up call was losing her and knowing that she is getting better as we speak and I should be too. I have tried to stop countless times but have always messed up. Now is different and losing her makes me want to get better and do it with her, for myself and for potentially us later down the road. Tomorrow, I plan to start this road to recovery and never look back. I want to know that this all gets better, I'm tired of feeling this way and losing her was the last straw. Wish me luck and any feed back would be great. Let's do this!
    Catrina and Paul Benson like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefuldee View Post
    Hey everbody, wanted to share a story and hopefully get some insight on how this will all get better. I first started using percocets maybe 5 years ago. It started as a recreational thing just getting on too feel good, than over the years it got outta control. It started with taking a 15 mg and it would be so much that I would throw up. Gradually increased to taking 30 mg than to 60 mg a day just to get high and enjoy myself. It was only until recently I had a wake up call and no longer wanted to live this lifestyle being broke, unhappy, depressed, achy body, and withdrawling. I recently got broken up with by my girlfriend of 2 years plus. Her dad recently died, she isn't happy with where she is in life, and no longer get she could make me happy. We were using together in our relationship and it got out of control. I've noticed that our relationship soon became more fighting and irritability around one another that was never there until we started abusing percocets, ultimately drifting us apart. We were so happy in the beginning and the drug literally began to consume our relationship. She recently decided to get herself into a rehab in FL to get better and I haven't had contact with her since she left. Obviously, losing someone so important to me made me get depressed and feel hopeless. I started taking percocets as usual for awhile to cope with losing the love of my life. The huge wake up call was losing her and knowing that she is getting better as we speak and I should be too. I have tried to stop countless times but have always messed up. Now is different and losing her makes me want to get better and do it with her, for myself and for potentially us later down the road. Tomorrow, I plan to start this road to recovery and never look back. I want to know that this all gets better, I'm tired of feeling this way and losing her was the last straw. Wish me luck and any feed back would be great. Let's do this!
    Welcome Hopeful!

I'm sorry that you're going through this right now. Maybe this is your rock bottom. If it's not, it's OK because you don't want to wait until you do hit rock bottom. It can and will get worse unless you catch this and do something now.

You are likely aware that your girlfriend is being told in rehab that she needs to work on herself right now and the best thing she can do for herself is to stay away from you, especially because you were using together. That, I hope will motivate you into doing what you have to do because if her sobriety is important to you, then there can be no hope of this relationship until both of you have some clean time beneath your belts.

OK. Now you. How much are you taking a day? Regardless of how much that is, you should first give it your best shot to cold turkey detox. I was taking at least 200 mg/day and often more than that, I detoxed cold turkey and I'm here to tell you about it. Have you read the Thomas Recipe? If not, Google it. It's a list of supplements that can be found at most any grocery store or pharmacy. If you can't find some of the items there, try a GNC or Whole Foods. The Recipe does suggest benzos for the first few days but you should avoid them entirely. You just don't need one more thing to have trouble with later on.

You can expect to have flu-like symptoms for about 5 days. These symptoms probably won't allow you to get much sleep but the most uncomfortable symptoms will be done after those 5 days. Remember to eat well, protein is best and to drink as much water or Gatorade as you can get down. Becoming dehydrated during detox is a real concern and would make all of your symptoms worse. Frequent hot baths will help with the RLS and aches. I also used heating pads on my back and legs and they provided some relief.

You're young and have so much at stake. Get excited and prepared to fight for the life that you want instead of the life you're living now. Do this for yourself and you'll be ahead of the game. I hope that your girlfriend does well in rehab but keep that separate from your own journey. If things work out for the two of you later on, great! If they don't, you'll have your chit together to move on and find a happy life elsewhere. This is about you first.

Keep posting and my best wishes.

Peace,

Cat