Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Want off Suboxone
    musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielgaule View Post
    Hi everyone Im new and finally got signed up. I have been involved with Subs for almost 3 years now. Long story, but I went cold turkey while taking about 6mgs/day a few times. The withdrawal is medium hard, but extend and especially the low energy etc. The reason I want to get off of subs, is that it has ruined my life. I had been clean from opiates for a long time (7+yrs). I was living in Maine, and even though there is a lot of smack and oxys up there I had no desire. I loved it up there. I swam in the cold water, went skiing and snow shoeing in the winter, it was calm and nature beautiful. I had just recently divorced, and got through without using drugs, and actually got cusotdy of my girls....basically a good spiritual life and everything that goes along with not using and being in recovery.
    I had to move back to Miami in 2006 because my older mother had become ill and it was better for the girls. So I transfered back to Miami. My mom had percocettes and fentanyl and all sorts of stuff laying around and started taking them within a month of moving. That summer I could not stop and found out about suboxone and found a sub doc. The first couple of weeks seemed great. Then I noticed slowly, little by little I started loosing: Libido, my love of anything in the ocean, going on long hikes in the woods, I started to get anti social, a lot of anxiety and confusion (especially if I upped the dose). But anyway it has gone down since. I recently (I'm putting a lot of years in a couple of paragraphs) got out of a relationship that was not helping matters, and now have the mental energy to attempt to taper. Like everyone, I am terrified of the W/D. I mean W/D is like being tortured to me. I cannot relate to people that just seem to be bothered by the physical uncomfort etc. I completely come unglued. I feel extremely depressed, worthless, tired, vulnerable, sad, cry, sneeze, yawn and again- but the feeling of worthlessness I hate, its tempting to end things. (even though I have done a lot in my life and have raised two beautiful girls that graduate soon). I seem to have no will power. I dont want to go to meetings, etc etc. This site is the first place I have found where I may get some support, and not the judgemental- "Did you go to a meeting today?" stuff.
    I want to taper, and get off. Like everyone I want a minimal amount of discomfort, but I know that there is no free ride. In the past, I have W/D from >>>>>>, Methadone, darvon (easy) Vics, Oxys, and Fentanyl. There is a lady who had great advice and I hope she may see my post or one of you could tell her I asked about her- "sheloveskoalas" something like that. I have read some of her posts and she likes to help people. I like her idea of letting your body tell you when you need the next dose. (when you are getting towards the end of a taper). Because the half life of this med is unbelievable. I have stopped when I was down to 1mg, and in 5 days "wham!" the W/Ds. But any advice or encouragement I would be so so grateful. Im taking 2mg/ 2X day or 4mg/24hrs.
    ie 2 of the two's morning and late afternoon. Thanks everyone for being here
    Daniel
    How fast did you taper to 1 mg before you stopped.Did you try skipping days at that dose.You may still have some physical w/d after skipping days but the w/d will not be as intense as full blown opiate w/d.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Daniel .... I see that people have been telling you to talk with me about this and that is fine. I see that musicman, who has been away for awhile, has just replied to your post. Musicman and I both use the same system and he worked right along with me when we were putting together our plan for using subs properly. Long story short he's perfectly capable of handling anything you need. You're in good hands. Glad to see you back again, Musicman! God bless.

jjennifer1974 is offline New Member

Default Getting off Suboxone

I've read Daniel's post, and it's got me extremely terrified to come off the suboxone. I've been taking it for addiction and severe chronic pain (I have degenerative disc disease, degenerative joint disease, 3 ruptured discs, narrowing of the discs around the spinal column, osteoarthritis, sciatic pain (which is not helped by opiates anyways, the only thing that helps that is prednisone), and rheumatiod arthritis. It's a lot of pain, but something happened to my script when I came home yesterday from the pharmacy.

I got home from the grocery store yesterday, and when I checked my pocket this morning, the script was gone (I'm really not kidding). I have looked all over, and it is definitely not here. I called my sponsor (I have six months sober), and she talked me down from the panic. I have been on opiates consistently for about five years, and on the suboxone since late October.

I also hate the suboxone. It has trashed my sex drive, makes me constipated big time, gives me pain from the adhesions (I've had 12 abdominal surgeries, two for cancer), and almost all the problems that Daniel listed.

I've been taking about 8mg/day. Does anyone know anything about tapering from that dose and what to expect? I used to be on 32mg/day, but they've got me down from that (32mg/day is the absolute maximum, but it made me sicker than it did help the pain). I also was wondering what it expect, and how long those symptoms last. I called Poison Control (Washington State), and they said it's got a 32 hour half-life, and listed all these absolutely wicked side effects, and it's got me really terrified.

Please help!!! I am really scared, and I need to know what to expect!!! I called the place I detoxed at, and they said that they've never had an admit to detox from it, so I know it can't be as wicked as detoxing from the methadone I detoxed from.

Truthfully, I didn't find all the pain relief that everyone said I'd get. I got more relief from being on a combination of prednisone and methadone together. The prednisone is bad for you long-term, and I've already started having problems with broken bones (I'm in a cast now, I broke my leg four weeks ago), and I'm not wanting to go back on the prednisone, but what is worse, the suboxone, or the methadone? I need to be on something, but the script I lost was for a two month supply, and I know my doctor will not replace it.

Please help!!!

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjennifer1974 View Post
    I've read Daniel's post, and it's got me extremely terrified to come off the suboxone. I've been taking it for addiction and severe chronic pain (I have degenerative disc disease, degenerative joint disease, 3 ruptured discs, narrowing of the discs around the spinal column, osteoarthritis, sciatic pain (which is not helped by opiates anyways, the only thing that helps that is prednisone), and rheumatiod arthritis. It's a lot of pain, but something happened to my script when I came home yesterday from the pharmacy.

I got home from the grocery store yesterday, and when I checked my pocket this morning, the script was gone (I'm really not kidding). I have looked all over, and it is definitely not here. I called my sponsor (I have six months sober), and she talked me down from the panic. I have been on opiates consistently for about five years, and on the suboxone since late October.

I also hate the suboxone. It has trashed my sex drive, makes me constipated big time, gives me pain from the adhesions (I've had 12 abdominal surgeries, two for cancer), and almost all the problems that Daniel listed.

I've been taking about 8mg/day. Does anyone know anything about tapering from that dose and what to expect? I used to be on 32mg/day, but they've got me down from that (32mg/day is the absolute maximum, but it made me sicker than it did help the pain). I also was wondering what it expect, and how long those symptoms last. I called Poison Control (Washington State), and they said it's got a 32 hour half-life, and listed all these absolutely wicked side effects, and it's got me really terrified.

Please help!!! I am really scared, and I need to know what to expect!!! I called the place I detoxed at, and they said that they've never had an admit to detox from it, so I know it can't be as wicked as detoxing from the methadone I detoxed from.

Truthfully, I didn't find all the pain relief that everyone said I'd get. I got more relief from being on a combination of prednisone and methadone together. The prednisone is bad for you long-term, and I've already started having problems with broken bones (I'm in a cast now, I broke my leg four weeks ago), and I'm not wanting to go back on the prednisone, but what is worse, the suboxone, or the methadone? I need to be on something, but the script I lost was for a two month supply, and I know my doctor will not replace it.

Please help!!!
    Jennifer,We can help you taper from 8 mg but if you have lost your script you need to address that first.Did you call your dr? Do you have any sub left ? ....Robert,Thanks bro although things are cool today I am still busy with my family health problems.We may be nursing home bound.Not sure yet.Please forgive me if I pop in and out for a while.Please keep an eye on these threads in case I disappear again for a while.I hope everyone is doing wellMM

Jennifer .... musicman is right! You've got to have enough medication to do this regardless of what happened to your script. That kind of puts us behind the eight ball if you don't come up with more suboxone. Let us know. God bless.

Hey thanks for your replies...I'm going to call my psychiatrist (I see him for bipolar disorder), because he just started prescribing suboxone, and lay it on the line with him (I've found that when your sober, it's best to be completely honest, because honesty gets you further, and dishonesty gets you nowhere), and tell him that I've lost the script, and that I was going to switch to seeing him (which is true), and is there anything that he can do. Do you guys think that sounds reasonable?

Question Thanks for your support

Guys, I tried to call my psychiatrist, who just started prescribing suboxone in February, and left him a message. I've found that honesty gets you further than dishonesty, and I'm going to lay it on the line to him. I hope that he will understand, and I was going to switch to seeing him this month anyhow, just was going to wait until I had the $85 (I don't have mental health coverage) to go in for a check. So, wish me luck.

Default Back on Suboxone

I thought I would let you guys know what happened with the Suboxone. The doctor who was originally prescribing it (had me on 32mg/day) would not give me a new script, because he said that he does not replace "lost scripts" as he put it.

My psychiatrist, who treats my bipolar disorder, has started prescribing suboxone in February. I called him, partly because I was going to switch to him for the suboxone, and told him what happened with the lost prescription, and after blabbing for a bout 2 straight minutes, partly because I was terrified that he wouldn't believe me, said the words I was hoping to hear: "Jennifer, it's okay-I believe you." I got him to agree to replace the prescription, only at 16mg/day, because since I broke my leg, I wasn't getting suficient pain relief. We are planning to reduce the dose when my leg heals.

I'm going to be seeing him now anyway, so, since I am out of dough for the month, he's going to see me on June 5.

I really do appreciate your support in the interim. It means a lot to me. I'm not real thrilled that he increased the dosage, but I know it'll help the pain. Do you guys have anything that helps with the constipation that comes with the suboxone? I've tried lactulose, fruit paste, and not much else helps...

Quote Originally Posted by jjennifer1974 View Post
    I thought I would let you guys know what happened with the Suboxone. The doctor who was originally prescribing it (had me on 32mg/day) would not give me a new script, because he said that he does not replace "lost scripts" as he put it.

My psychiatrist, who treats my bipolar disorder, has started prescribing suboxone in February. I called him, partly because I was going to switch to him for the suboxone, and told him what happened with the lost prescription, and after blabbing for a bout 2 straight minutes, partly because I was terrified that he wouldn't believe me, said the words I was hoping to hear: "Jennifer, it's okay-I believe you." I got him to agree to replace the prescription, only at 16mg/day, because since I broke my leg, I wasn't getting suficient pain relief. We are planning to reduce the dose when my leg heals.

I'm going to be seeing him now anyway, so, since I am out of dough for the month, he's going to see me on June 5.

I really do appreciate your support in the interim. It means a lot to me. I'm not real thrilled that he increased the dosage, but I know it'll help the pain. Do you guys have anything that helps with the constipation that comes with the suboxone? I've tried lactulose, fruit paste, and not much else helps...

Are you still at 16mg per day? You haven't been on the forum in a while and it concerns me when people disappear while on a high dose. Let us hear from you.

You don't just add more suboxone taking you up to a high dose for pain. Buprenorphine has fairly good analgesic benefits at small doses but it's different than other RX opiates that you normally just increase the dose for dealing with pain.

Let us know how you're doing at that dose. God bless.

oneahmed is offline New Member

Suboxone is very hard to stop. It has oweful withdrawal symptoms even if it's less that the other opioid group

April07 is offline New Member

Default Question

Does anyone think that long-term suboxone use can have any long-term side effects such as anger and frustration and feeling extremely impatient with everyone and everything or feeling irritated a lot? Also headaches, loss of appetite, unable to gain weight, sexual side effects. It’s a long story the reason that I ask but can I get some perspective and opinion on if you feel it has changed you mentally of physically? Men or women. This information would be extremely helpful to me for personal reasons.

HQueen is offline New Member

I don't know what to do! I wrote last month and I'm still stuck. I was at 12 milligrams suboxone and have been weening SLOWLY for the past 5 months and am down to .5 mg. I've been at this for a month and change. I have no ambition, wake up every morning soaked ith sweat. I have 2 1/2, 2 mg. pills left. I don't plan on going back to the doctor. I just seen him last week and he wrote a script for 4 pills thats it. The pharmacy and Doc. say I shouldn't have any problems with withdraw. Actually they said I'm crazy for wanting to go down to .25 before I stop. I think THEY'RE nutz. The doc. gave me 30, .5 Ativan for anxiety but I ate them like pez candies. Am I gonna bug out more? Tommorow I plan on doing .25 mg. I have to. I dropped soooo slowly but I'm reading this half life ******** so should I not take any subs and then wait to be in a full withdraw then take tiny little pieces when I freak out? Help meeee, I'm almost there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by April07 View Post
    Does anyone think that long-term suboxone use can have any long-term side effects such as anger and frustration and feeling extremely impatient with everyone and everything or feeling irritated a lot? Also headaches, loss of appetite, unable to gain weight, sexual side effects. It’s a long story the reason that I ask but can I get some perspective and opinion on if you feel it has changed you mentally of physically? Men or women. This information would be extremely helpful to me for personal reasons.

There are all kinds of side effects from longterm use. I don't recommend it longterm at all. Longterm sub effects are similar to other opiates taken longterm. Hope that helps. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by HQueen View Post
    I don't know what to do! I wrote last month and I'm still stuck. I was at 12 milligrams suboxone and have been weening SLOWLY for the past 5 months and am down to .5 mg. I've been at this for a month and change. I have no ambition, wake up every morning soaked ith sweat. I have 2 1/2, 2 mg. pills left. I don't plan on going back to the doctor. I just seen him last week and he wrote a script for 4 pills thats it. The pharmacy and Doc. say I shouldn't have any problems with withdraw. Actually they said I'm crazy for wanting to go down to .25 before I stop. I think THEY'RE nutz. The doc. gave me 30, .5 Ativan for anxiety but I ate them like pez candies. Am I gonna bug out more? Tommorow I plan on doing .25 mg. I have to. I dropped soooo slowly but I'm reading this half life ******** so should I not take any subs and then wait to be in a full withdraw then take tiny little pieces when I freak out? Help meeee, I'm almost there!!!

Considering you only have 2 1/2 2mg pills left you will need to change up what you're doing. I wish you had more suboxone. I would do this differently if you had more subs. But unless you can get more you need to start skipping days and also do something to help with w/d symptoms.

Tomorrow you should start on L-Tyrosine (500mg caps) along with some vitamin B-6 which will help your body with absorption. Then you should skip the suboxone tomorrow entirely, then take a .5mg dose the next day. Skip two days, then take a .5mg dose. Skip three days, then take a .5mg dose. Once you make it skipping four days you should be done. Continue to take the L-Tyrosine and B-6 while you're doing the day skipping. You can get the supplements at any vitamin store. Hope that helps. God bless.

Wink

Thank you Robert. I will try what you said !!! If I do freak out I will just go back to my doc. and tell him I'm freaking out since he is very cool to me and always has been so I'm sure he will give me another script. (It will be a year July I have been on subs) I have to say this, I live in Philadelphia and the reason I went on suboxone is because every morning when I was going to the methadone clinic a commercial came on the radio saying call "this" number for private detox in a doctors office. I called the number and it led me to a website listing the directory of docs in the area for subs. HOW MISLEADING !!! TO DETOX FROM A DETOX ?!?! COME ON I feeling a little of the same way I did coming off methadone. Just wanna say how dissapointed I am in this medication. I don't crave >>>>>> anymore even though I have this anxiety going on. I just really wish I can have the person back that I was the DAY BEFORE I even tried this stupid, life stealing drug 7 looong years ago. I will keep you posted on how it's going. If all goes well maybe it will bring some people on here more hope. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE THE END OF THIS JOURNEY ONCE AND FOR ALL !!! Thank you again Robert. Some of us need another voice out there to "hear", I believe you are him, thank you very much... will post again soon. Off I go.........Melissa

Melissa ...Suboxone/subutex therapy does not have to be a "detox from a detox." That's exactly what it is if not done the right way.

We have lots of success stories here with subs. Lots of people here get on and off subs in six to eight weeks and are still clean today. It's a good medication if used the right way. But unfortunately lots of people end up here in the same situation as yourself and it's a little tougher. But it isn't anything we can't overcome.

Just follow the suggestions and you'll end up clean. God bless.

I've been dealing with the withdraws on and off for years. I'm mad at myself for still being on this road for sooo long. I quit cold turkey a few years ago while on 85 milligrams methadone and still having a 20 bag a day habit. Pain you never forget. I thnk I'd rather be in labor to tell you the truth. You lnow when that pain will leave. (though thank goodness I don't have kids yet) I crashed and burned on day 35 because I just couldn't pull myself together mentally. I felt as if I didn't know which way was up or down. The world just didn't look right in my eyes. It was distorted. This started with a doc giving me percs and vicodin for a year instead of fixing a female problem, I didn't have insurance so he covered the pain with pills. Like sticking a band aid over something just to cover it up. I never abused them. I didn't even think about the opiod addiction till I was cut off. Someone else understood the opiate game and turned me on to the H and to tell you the truth it was cheaper and went a longer way. UGH I've tried before to stop but to tell you the truth I know that I am too old, lost so much, spent so much that I'm just tired now. I have a great job starting in mid July once the salon is finished built and THIS is the only time I have to pull it together. I thought I would have enough time to do this but the days don't change. I still feel the same dread and the days are going faster and faster till the opening date. My ONLY problem is I CANNOT take the anxiety. Just can't. Haven't left my house in 2 weeks. I'm a recluse I feel. Why can't I find a doctor who will give me xanax? WHY WHY WHY Ativan and clonopin DO NOTHING. If I can get someone to give me this script I believe it would get me over this bump in the road. I mean at one time I even shelled out cash to see a psychiatrist and they told me right off the bat I wasn't getting that medication. I never told them I was on subs either. WTF I've been screwed up by the system, I'd like them to help me get out of it. I'm still following your advise you gave me. I will check in tommorow. Just needed to ramble a minute. NO SUBS TODAY like you said...Thank You, Melissa

Super3550 is offline New Member

Default Tapering off suboxone

Hello, my name is Mike and I have a few questions about coming off of suboxone. I have read a lot of the posts here and saw that there are a lot of professionals giving guidance as well as patients. I just found out from here that splitting the dosage from daily, to every other day, to every 3 days is the goal correct? Well, I am NOT prescribed this drug. I have self-prescribed it after having a moderate oxycontin problem, I am able to take 1mg of suboxone a day. I've been taking these for about 3 months with kind of a scattered amount of mg/day. Now, I really don't want to deal with them anymore. Not just because I have to go buy them from a friend, but just to be free. So is my best solution to getting completely off to take them every other day and so on? Also, if most people say that it would be better to go into a suboxone program, how much does that cost? I've heard it is really expensive and that's why I never went in one in the first place. Thank you for your help in this matter and good luck to everyone out there. Keep your head up and your mind strong! I believe in all of you!

Here is how I suggest you taper off the subs. It's based on your symptoms. It's not smart to cold turkey off suboxone if you've been taking it regularly for very long. Check out the link. I'm here every day on and off. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Thanks a lot. I will review them shortly and let you know how it works for me. Thank you very much!

Thanks a lot. I am on my first day of 1 mg and will try to make it 4 days in a row, then go to .5 for 4 days and so on. I'm guessing after .25 a day i will do .25 every other day. Either that or go from .5 a day to .5 every other day (essentially the same as .25 a day), then .5 every three days. This will take me about 3 weeks, but I will keep you updated as I go so that you can include my story into your statistics. Thank you very much for all of your help. I was scared because I cannot get more until the end of the week but now I know that I still have plenty (5mg) to last me. I feel very confident and that I already have one foot in the door to freedom. Thanks again and you will hear (hopefully good news) from me soon!

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default Super3550

You need to go from 1mg to .75mgs ( do not do a 50% drop after 4 days ), then do 4 days at that dose and drop to .5mgs. Just trying to help.
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !

Intelmetal is right! You only want to reduce by 25% not a 50% drop or you're likely to had bad side effects. Thanks dude. God bless.

sickofboxs is offline New Member

Smile Iam only on .25mgs aday

Hello Iam new at this posting stuff.I have been on sub for 3 years but never took maore then 4mgs aday. Iam wondering if i will have any w\d from this low of a dose.

Iam new at this so i was just wondering? I have never took more then 4mgs a day and iam down too .25 mgs aday now will i have any w\d from this low of a dose. thank you

Smile Iam only on .25mgs aday

Hello Iam new at this posting stuff.I have been on sub for 3 years but never took maore then 4mgs aday. Iam wondering if i will have any w\d from this low of a dose.

Quote Originally Posted by sickofboxs View Post

Skip your sub dose one day, then take your .25mg dose. Skip two days and then take a dose again. Skip three days then take your dose again. Skip four days and then you should be able to stop with NO problems. This is how I advise everyone to do this.

Keep me posted how you do. God bless.

thank for taking your time out of your day too help me

jblaze234x is offline New Member

Exclamation sub addiction

to robert if possible...

been on 2mg of sub. a day for 2 or 3 years. been wanting to stop for long time. ive read most of these post, so i have some what of an idea how to wean myself down but i wanted your opinion... ive recently dropped myself to about 1.5 mg a day. been at this dose for probably a month...how fast do u think i should drop myself... would like toi be done as soon as possible with at least pain as possible... im taking a vacation on 9/4/09 so would like to be done by the end of that... do u think its likely... planned on sufferin a little just to be done with it. im sick of the dependency. exspecially since ive been clean of oxy's for 18 months...

plkese reply when u can

pimpsnizzle420 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rando47 View Post
    As a certified buprenorphine physician I would recommend the following way to medically withdraw from your current level of Suboxone.

Decrease your total dose by 2mg/day each week. Once you are down to 2mg daily, the next decrease will be to decraese the 2mg to every
    other day. Then to every third day. Then stop.

Any withdrawal symptoms will most likely be psychologic in nature and NOT physiologic.

Buying the 8 mg. tabs is less expensive and a good pill cutter can quarter them for the 2 mg. dosing schedule.
    Good luck!

Rick Anderson, D.O.
    you are certified and giving this ********py advice? i cut an 8mg suboxone into 6 pieces, taking a piece (1/6th of a pill) a day for only 3 weeks. after that i took the same dose (which mathematically calculates to a mere 1.33mg) every other day for a week. then every 2 days, then every 3 days. then i stopped. i will give you firsthand advice. by day 6 on no suboxone the withdrawal is HORRIBLE. i was on a very small dose for a very short time, as some of these people were on it for months and even years, i dont think 6 weeks is an extensive amount of time to get addicted to these things. nonetheless by day 3 i was sleeping about 2 hrs a night, days 4 till present half hour a night or none at all, accompanied by irritability, severe chills, nonstop sneezing, terrible restless legs, and a general rundown flu like feeling. there has got to be a better way than what you recommended, because if its this bad coming off of 1.33mgs, i can only imagine how worse it would be jumping off at your recommended 2mgs. at present i am undecided whether i will try to ride this out and risk the possibility of dealing with withdrawal symptoms for possibly weeks, or begin again taking a very small dose and tapering very very slowly. this pill is a miracle in some ways, but i simply cannot believe how evil it is to those of us trying to stop depending on it!

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast