Wellbrutin
    danianichole is offline New Member

Default Wellbrutin

Hello Everyone, I a concerned friend and am trying to understand the anti-depression drug Wellbrutin. I have a friend (19 year old male) who started taking this medication in january at the begining of the year. Just recently, about 5-6 weeks ago he stopped taking his medication cold turkey becuase he was getting acne, is this dangerous? I wouldnt have really thought much of it but his mood/attitude has changed drastically. He is complaining to me about confusion, he is extremely indecisive. His body language is continously confusing as well, he goes from being very dominant/angry/resistant behaviors to compassionate and vunerable. I am very concered and worried about this behavior and i just do not know anyone else to ask and i hope someone out there will know something. He has refused to make a doctor appt., i am concerned, thank you.. please help me...

Locus is offline New Member

He should have definitely tapered off instead of cold turkey. He's probably going through a type of withdrawal now. Yes, he should see a doctor.

danianichole is offline New Member

Does this behavior go away or is this permenent change in his personality, but if it does go away how long is withdrawal??

verwon is offline New Member

Withdrawal from psychotropic drugs actually varies according to how long you have been taking it. A short period of time canresult in symptoms for about a week, a year or more of taking it can result in symptoms for a month or more.

You should never stop taking these cold turkey, you need to taper off almost all psychotropics. He should really discuss this with is doctor.

busrider85 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by danianichole

Hello Everyone, I a concerned friend and am trying to understand the anti-depression drug Wellbrutin. I have a friend (19 year old male) who started taking this medication in january at the begining of the year. Just recently, about 5-6 weeks ago he stopped taking his medication cold turkey becuase he was getting acne, is this dangerous? I wouldnt have really thought much of it but his mood/attitude has changed drastically. He is complaining to me about confusion, he is extremely indecisive. His body language is continously confusing as well, he goes from being very dominant/angry/resistant behaviors to compassionate and vunerable. I am very concered and worried about this behavior and i just do not know anyone else to ask and i hope someone out there will know something. He has refused to make a doctor appt., i am concerned, thank you.. please help me...
    I DON'T THINK YOUR FRIEND IS WITHDRAWING, IT'S ALREADY BEEN AT LEAST 6 WEEKS SINCE HIS LAST DOSE. SOUNDS MORE LIKE MANIC/DEPRESSION DUE TO DOMINANT/ANGRY THAN INDECISIVE/VULNERABLE. NOTE THOUGH I'M NO DOCTOR, JUST A GENIASS ER I MEAN GENIUS.

Locus is offline New Member

oh wow, i missed that bit of info that he'd been off the drug for 5 to 6 weeks already. Yeah, if he is still having symptoms like this it is not withdrawal after that long. He should definitely be seeing a doctor though, definitely.