Zyprexa and Depakote for Dementia
    beci is offline New Member

Default Zyprexa and Depakote for Dementia

Does anyone have experience with either Zyprexa or Depakote for treating behavioral issues associated with dementia? The doctor wants my 81-year-old dad to take Zyprexa but the warnings about the risk of death or stroke in the elderly population scare us. The other alternative is Depakote.

Any information you can provide based on your experiences with either drug would be appreciated. Thank you.

jhfernandez1 is offline New Member

Yes, my mother was prescribed Zyprexa for dementia. I had to go thru major hoops to get the prescription changed. Zyprexa is an anti-psychotic and was never developed for dementia. Do you homework on this medication. Since my mother was taken off Zyprexa and prescribed an anti-depressant, Paxil, she is much better, alert and engaged. In fact the side effects of Zyprexa can mimic Alzheimers. He biggest problem is her hearing is very diminished. btw/ Paxil has also increased her apetite in very positive way. Good luck.

netsavy006 is offline New Member

Zyprexa is not a good drug for dementia because of the increased risk of death due to stroke as you mentioned.

Depakote I am unaware of using for dementia in the elderly but I can say there are some risks when using this medication. I'd make sure to find out as much as you can about depakote before going that route.

Here are 2 websites that may help you out:
    http://depakoteer.com

Best of Luck,
    Andy...
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-20-2015 at 09:32 PM.